Mourinho out to maintain second-season run of title victories

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Raoul, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Who are these?
  2. Jul 16, 2017

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Our easy fixture list at the start means we need to get off to a blistering start.

Almost all of Jose's titles have been his teams getting off to hot starts and not looking back.
  3. Jul 16, 2017

Dancfc New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    In 2013 we had even more games, much weaker squad yet won Europa and finished 3rd, it can be done.

You could always tell that Fergie almost got off on chasing team's down. I think the only team that never cracked (Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool) or shat themselves (City) with a Fergie side putting the pressure on was our team with the Drogba/Lamps/Terry spine in both 2006 and 2010.

Jose team's seem to have a mental issue when chasing, maybe it's got something to do with Jose being traditionally better/more comfortable when defending what he's got as opposed to relentlessly attacking the ultimate prize.
  4. Jul 16, 2017

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    All good things must come to an end.
  5. Jul 17, 2017

ManuMou New Member

This.
  6. Jul 17, 2017

green_smiley :lol:

Supports:
    #Justice4Wang!
    Name on the trophy

It's written in the stars
  7. Jul 17, 2017

CG1010 Full Member

I'm more worried about the long-term injuries than the lack of transfers to be honest. Especially long-term injury to Shaw means we will again be gap-filling in the LB position that places us at a significant disadvantage.
  8. Jul 17, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

You remember all the negative records that Moyes broke while at United? Sorry Jose...
  9. Jul 17, 2017

davidmichael Full Member

I think it's at least a season early unless we signed one of Sanchez, Neymar or Bale as they are all genuine game changers that can win a game with one single moment.

Lukaku will replace Zlatan goal wise but even then Zlatan's goals were enough for 6th and it's only in defence that we've genuinely strengthened despite having one of the best defensive records in the league last season. If as expected we sign Perisic then I think we also need a quality right sided forward as well as Perisic is NOT the type of player that'll be the difference between winning the league or not.

I expect improvements from Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Pogba and Martial so that's more goals from what we have but more is needed which Sanchez instead of Perisic or Bale added to Perisic provides. I think Bale is attainable IF we paid what Real want and Sanchez is definitely attainable if we go for him.
  10. Jul 17, 2017

MUFC OK Full Member

The reality is setting already for me that with this group of players, theres simply no chance of us winning the title and we would be lucky to challenge for it. City and chelsea look vastly stronger and have bought well in my opinion. I don't think at this stage that our squad is any better than it was last season and worryingly we seem set on Perisic and Dier/Matic who are not of the calibre we need to substantially improve. A sanchez/dembele and nainngolan for example, would be what we would need to change that.
  11. Jul 17, 2017

crossy1686 Full Member

As cliché as it is, we need one more summer after this one to be expected to challenge for the title. If this summers signings prove to be a success and Jose gets the team playing well, we'll strengthen again next summer with the likes of Griezmann and be competing on all fronts. If we win the league this year, it's an overachievement for sure.
  12. Jul 17, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Agreed on all this. The team was a mess and still has a way to go despite some expecting a miracle
  13. Jul 17, 2017

Shark @NotShark

A lot of the same players that weren't good enough last season are still here, and so far we've only added a striker and a promising CB. Not sure we have enough to challenge yet.
  14. Jul 17, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Exactly. Hardly anything will have changed as things stand.
  15. Jul 17, 2017

MUFC OK Full Member

I agree. A lot of players seem to come and go without us getting rid of the absolute dross in the squad, of which there is plenty.
  16. Jul 17, 2017

Ikon New Member

^^Agreed^^
    We are a long way behind Chelsea, City and Spurs, and I don't believe that the new signings made so far, will close the gap.
  17. Jul 17, 2017

RAVred New Member

No idea why people think the gap between us and this years top 4 is this big...

Considering most had piss poor cup runs as well. And we basically sacked a top 4 finish due to injuries.

If anything stops us from winning the title for me will be the fullbacks, honestly see them as the weakest component of our team. Literally none of our fullbacks know how to whip a cross in, shaw has done some good ones but still isn't reliable. Our full backs are basically a non factor going forward.
  18. Jul 17, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

Get a CDM and Sanchez (or a player of equivalent calibre to provide goals from the middle) and the title is ours. Failing that, i don't think so.
  19. Jul 17, 2017

Ikon New Member

I think 4th is realistic, considering Arsenal could lose Sanchez and they have Europa League Thursdays to contend with, and Liverpool too, European football could take a toll.
    But Chelsea, City and Spurs have very strong teams, and are bringing in some exceptionally good players.

I don't see United bridging the gap, with the transfer activity so far.
  20. Jul 17, 2017

Dembeza New Member

If the league was won by the team with the strongest lineup on paper then I would agree that we will not win the league this season, but fortunately for us football doesn't work like that.

Last season was all about proving the doubters wrong, Mourinho had immense pressure to show the world that he still had it, the team also had to prove that they can still comptete. Add the pressure of having to qualify for the champions league to avoid a cut of the Adidas money and the fact that it was Mourinho's first season, one can say the pressure was too much and it affected our performance.

We ended the season on a high, qualifying for the champions league, winning trophies, don't underestimate the impact that such things can have on our team. It also means less pressure this season and the lads can enjoy playing soccer.

I'm not saying we will win the league but I'm sure we will see alot of improvement from the players we already had, add in the new signings and i feel we will surprise alot of people next season.

Edit: A Madrid won la liga when they didn't have the strongest line up, BVB also won the league over Bayern.

If we find a system that works and the players give it their all in the pitch (Mourinho will demand that) then we will, at the very least challenge.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  21. Jul 17, 2017

Brightonian Full Member

'On paper' is only dictated by what happened the season before anyway. If we win the league next season, a lot of players who are currently rated pretty poorly 'on paper' amongst our fans will suddenly seem like much better individuals. It's almost always team form that dictates player form.
  22. Jul 17, 2017

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

No top quality dm = no party. We cant win the epl with fellaini and a former player as dm
  23. Jul 17, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

No excuses. It's a decent squad with many players under 30, some excellent spine players in De Gea, Bailly, Pogba, Herrera and varied offensive talent in Rashford, Lukaku, Martial, Mata etc. Also the experience of winning trophies last season + the fact Mourinho has PL experience and it's his 2nd season at Utd...you should at least aspire to compete for the title. I despise these rebuilding and 'one season too early' excuses.
  24. Jul 17, 2017

Reynoldo Full Member

I think even those two alone could be the difference but Mkhi would have to replicate his best year at dortmund and Marital would have to consistently perform at the level he did in parts the season before last, basically have a coming of age season where he rips it up week in week out.

So all in all right now I'd say the chances are slim.
  25. Jul 17, 2017

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    this exactly. People on here like to look at names and decide what's a poor team. I always look at Madrid this year compared to when Rafa started out

Ronaldo Benzema Bale
    modric James
    Kroos
    that team "on paper" seems amazing compared to

Ronaldo Benzema isco
    modric Kroos
    casermiro​

And yet the latter did the double and is probably one of the most balanced teams to come out of Madrid in a long time. "On paper" Man City look amazing and actually Chelsea look shite. Chelsea have players like David fecking Luiz Moses and Alonso playing for them along with "caf favourites" Pedro and Matic as key players for them.

It's about balance and team form. Not getting big names necessarily. Just about getting players that the manager wants and trusts to give us balance and win the league. The only manager that has won the league more times than Jose is Fergie. Give the man a chance to build his team with players he wants. even if those players are fecking Matic and Perisic and not Fabinho and Sanchez.
  26. Jul 17, 2017

ice-bionic red Full Member

I'm expecting a good season from Pogba. Hopefully Mkhitaryan & Martial when play can bring some consistent good form and with a bit of luck with injuries we can be in the mix
  27. Jul 17, 2017

Shimo Full Member

My concern for our season is leadership on the field during games - out of everyone I really expect Pogba to really step up and maybe Herrera but, not sure who else. In the backline, will it be Baily or DDG that bollocks the midfield and others to do their jobs? I don't recall the Porto teams under Mourinho but, the other teams, he had leaders/winners on the pitch. He is really going to have to really get that fight to the death attitude running through the squad.
  28. Jul 17, 2017

abdo99 New Member

I'm pretty sure we're not winning the league this season but we can improve on last year if guys like Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Martial can improve their goal tallies. Last year was shocking in terms of goalscoring, we scored less goals than Bournemouth and people think we might challenge Chelsea and the top teams. The full backs are not good enough and that includes Valencia as well because for someone who spends a lot of time in the oppositions final third, his final ball is shocking and even though he had his best season last year there are no guarantees he will be as good this year. Darmian, Shaw, Young are not good enough options. We also need a top DM and another box to box option in the midfield. We let go Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin and buying just a DM isn't enough if we want to win the league. We need better options than Fellaini and Carrick. .
  29. Jul 17, 2017

SuperiorXI Full Member

Doubt he will with this squad.
  30. Jul 17, 2017

Loon Full Member

I personally think it's a massive ask, but even being in the mix at the business end of the season would be lovely.
  31. Jul 17, 2017

cheeky_backheel Full Member

Unlikely with the current squad and competition
  32. Jul 17, 2017

MoskvaRed Full Member

Chelsea - favourites but have Europe this season where they will be expected to make an impression

Spurs - have yet to win anything despite the plaudits and have to play at Wembley this year.

City - no idea what to expect either from their manager or their signings.

Arsenal - their decadent era, which has now lasted longer than the glory era.

Liverpool - that is not a title winning team.

There are a lot of question marks over United too but, of all the top 6, they look to have the most potential to make a big leap forward.

Prediction - 2nd
  33. Jul 17, 2017

MullerUtd Full Member

A lot of you are saying there's no chance we would win the league this coming season but I believe there's a reason why the bookies have made us second favourites. Although you can say the same was for last season so this don't mean anything but bookmakers opening odds tend to be quite accurate so I'm still hopefully optimistic we can win the title or at least challenge for it.
  34. Jul 17, 2017

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    Hate this statistical mumbo jumbo.
    Yada yada will happen because it's happened a few times in the past, blah blah drone drone.
    Every season is different. Opposition is different. Injuries are different. Sh1te refs may give big calls against you rather than for you.
  35. Jul 19, 2017

The Outsider New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I think if you get a decent central midfielder you could win the league. So it is possible yet you still have a missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

I recall the last time we won the league with JM just before the start of the season he said he was happy with the team, look for a similar JM utterance this time around.