1. World Cup 2018 Forum now open for business
    Dismiss Notice

Mourinho says he's happy with his attacking options, won't be hunting for attackers this summer

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

"The objective is that now we have more number nines," said Mourinho.
    "We have Alexis, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford. Rashford can play on the left and the right, Alexis is exactly the same. All of them apart from Lukaku can play from behind as the second striker that’s why I say that it’s bad for you because you like to have things to write and speculate, especially in the summer."

"But I don’t want attacking players so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here. We have Mata, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, I don’t want attacking players, speculation in the summer you have to go to other areas, attacking players I am really happy.

"We have to improve not in the quality of the players. We have to improve in the dynamic in the team, and in the efficiency because even today it is a game to score more than two."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...will-not-be-adding-to-their-stock-of-forwards

I tend to agree with Luckhurst. Mourinho will still sign a winger/wide attacker in the summer.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Feb 5, 2018

Listar Full Member

I don't agree. Lukaku needs competition. We should get someone like greizzman to replace Ibra.
  3. Feb 5, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

I disagree with Luckhurst. Partly anyway.

It’s true that our right isn’t our strongest position and that nobody has performed there in the big games but I still think Mourinho will find a solution out of the players he’s listed rather than bringing in another player who can play there. Especially as I think he’s likely to bring in a marquee midfielder to play with Pogba and Matic.

I think we’re likely to sign 3 players this summer, two centre mids and a left back.
  4. Feb 5, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

That's spot on from Jose. We have players, now it's upto Jose and coaching team to get the best out of them.
  5. Feb 5, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

I really hope he goes for full backs, as what we have at the moment aren't up to scratch playing as wing backs and offer very little going forward in attack, keeping the playing field wide. That or he will have to train the attacking players on the wings to play like wingers and stop continually cutting in and congesting the centre, that is partly why we have difficulty breaking down teams as we are to predictable and easy to defend against. He will also have to do something with the midfield, seeing Carrick is out and Fellaini who knows. Really curious to see what happens in the summer if he is going to include some youth in the team or go out and buy, knowing him and Ed they will want another mark signing.
  6. Feb 5, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

Not counting Ibra, we've got 6 players who can play in the front 4. Two of them are youngish and one is really young. We could do with a right winger and a #10, but if I had to pick one, I'd take a RW at this point, so that we can play a 433.
  7. Feb 5, 2018

devips Full Member

Dybala? Griezmann? So many Redcafe threads wasted.
  8. Feb 5, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

Aparently Mourinhos next top target is Scania Vabis, a top Swedish defender exactly in the mould Jose loves.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

jetlee Full Member

Of course that comment from Mourinho won't stop a whole summer of muppets and journos fantasizing about Griezmann, Dybala and new flavor of the month attacking player.
    Just see the first example in Samuel Luckhurst. I think we can count on that to be the truth unless some really radical thing happens between now and the end of the season.
  10. Feb 5, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

We live in hope. The tabloid media knows this.

... [lights a candle for Dybala]....
  11. Feb 5, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Don't we have one of those..
  12. Feb 5, 2018

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Sounds like a skin disease
  13. Feb 5, 2018

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

I think we have other priorities - a centre back, both full backs probably and a central midfielder.
  14. Feb 5, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

Yea but he needs plenty of options against the top teams
  15. Feb 5, 2018

Jaae Full Member

:lol: I literally just google searched this thinking it must be some up and coming Swedish centre back.
  16. Feb 5, 2018

AgentP Full Member

If Mahrez keeps up his form, he would be my top priority. Mata has to make way unfortunately. The only way we won't need a RW is if Sanchez can make that position his own.
  17. Feb 5, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

An out-and-out right-sided winger would be a nice addition for us but I agree with the pretext to Jose's words: that Sanchez's capture is a huge step forward for our attack and other areas need more urgent attention.
  18. Feb 5, 2018

NotQuiteManc Full Member

Supports:
    Higher Income Tax For The Rich
    Midfielders and fullbacks I think should be the priority. Sanchez-like chance signings for attackers and CBs, in case Mou grows tired of Mike and Jones.
  19. Feb 5, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Its one hell of a truck that one. .
  20. Feb 5, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

I knew Scania was busses, trucks etc but still googled it :lol:
  21. Feb 5, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    We need two CMs (to replace Carrick and Fellaini). Pogba, Matic, McTominay, Herrera, and two others would gives a comfort of selection even we go through a severe injury crisis and play 4-3-3 every week.

Also a right-sided attacker and a right back are needed.
  22. Feb 5, 2018

Flying_Heckfish Full Member

I'd agree we need CMs and FBs before more attackers. But we do need to sort out the right side. Hopefully Sanchez can fit in there as I don't think Martial will.
  23. Feb 5, 2018

Ace of Spades Full Member

That is fine IMO, now it is up to the coaching team to get the best out of the players. I would love to see Chong being given chance at the RW position sometime in the near future.
  24. Feb 5, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

That’s if we continue with 4-2-3-1. If we do move to to 4-3-3 then 6 is enough for 3 is positions.
  25. Feb 5, 2018

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Jose better hope that our attack starts to resemble something that is even remotely good before the end of this season then.

To go into next season without having the attack sorted/functioning is a dangerous game. If we continue to look clueless in attack and fall behind in the league then the pitchforks will be out.
  26. Feb 5, 2018

TsuWave Full Member

Griezmann is not a #9
  27. Feb 5, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I'd like to see a better striker. Rom isn't good enough imo.
  28. Feb 5, 2018

Maradona10 Duncan Castles

He will sell mata most probably and then have an excuse to buy an attacker. He has mostly talked shit with the press throughout his career so i dont get him telling them he isnt buying an attacker.
  29. Feb 5, 2018

Trizy Full Member

A nice out and out winger that can beat his man. We don't need another one who can cut in. We need someone with a great cross.

Any ideas? Can't say I watch many games outside of the premier league.
  30. Feb 5, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

Unless someone top notch becomes available then I agree, no attacking players.
  31. Feb 5, 2018

LLMU Full Member

Priority should be a CM knowing too well that Carrick is retiring and Fellaini may move in the summer. Pereira should be given a chance after his loan.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

Adisa Full Member

Would be a shame if we don't bring in a RW.
  33. Feb 5, 2018

GM K Full Member

I couldn't agree more. Jose is spot on here. If we improve our midfield, improve the quality of our full backs, get Bailly consistently healthy and improve the overall dynamic of the team, we'll be good enough to challenge for the PL title and compete in Europe.
  34. Feb 5, 2018

settembrini Full Member

The right wing has been a huge problem for us this season and Mourinho's policy of just ignoring it has not worked so far. The obvious solution would be playing Sanchez on that side. If not that then maybe take a long at Chong. I don't see the benefit in just persisting with Mata most weeks while he's having the worst season of his career.

Also if Mourinho is saying we won't buy an attacker then we won't buy one. Hacks like Luckhurst, Castles etc should have learned this after being proved wrong every transfer window so far.
  35. Feb 5, 2018

GM K Full Member

Is Pereira that good? I have not been impressed.
  36. Feb 5, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

Just about adequate, I'd like to have 7, we'll be playing in 4 competitions, injuries and suspensions will happen, it's good to have some competition.
  37. Feb 5, 2018

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Why not make it easy and play Alexis there? Martial on the left... I guess it's too obvious
  38. Feb 5, 2018

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Good. As he should be.

Sure, we could improve in some positions but Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez + Mata and Lingard is an attack that is very good. We should be getting more out of this attack, tactically speaking.
  39. Feb 5, 2018

Stretch Full Member

I think we will only sign attacking players if we sell someone, for example Mata. I think there's budget constraints due to the amounts we've been spending and I think we will have to offload a bit first before we can get in some players
  40. Feb 5, 2018

pascell Full Member

Did he not mention any youth team players that could make a move towards the first team?