Mourinho says he's happy with his attacking options, won't be hunting for attackers this summer

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

Won't replace Ibra if he leaves then?
  2. Feb 5, 2018

Romez New Member

Full backs and a couple of top/world class CM’s please.
  3. Feb 5, 2018

MadMike Full Member

We already replaced him. We signed Sanchez
  4. Feb 5, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Fine with that. Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mata is good enough for me. There is work to do in the shape of the team and in the backbone behind them, especially in recycling and keeping possession between central midfield and the two full backs.

We do need to tell someone to play on the right, though! Maybe it will be Jesse.
  5. Feb 5, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

So what, Martial and Rashford to sit on the bench forever? Have you seen Martial's productivity this season? People need to stop pretending that this is some kid whose level is such that he's going to be content being part of our second 11. He's either 1st or starting every other game (at worst), or gone. Same will hopefully be true of Rashford soon as well. And it only happens through active support from the management.
  6. Feb 5, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Ibra barely played this season.
  7. Feb 5, 2018

ChrisJames Banned

Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford.

That alone is 4 VERY GOOD strikers. I don't think Jose needs to sign any forwards right now considering 3 of them can also play the wing aswell to a really good level.
  8. Feb 5, 2018

MadMike Full Member

If we need someone for good crosses, there's always Young. If we sort out our fullback situation, there won't be such a dependence on Young to play fullback. He's not a particularly good defender anyway, his instincts are always to attack. He does very well against teams sitting back but he lacks the positional awareness of a fullback when it comes to defending against quality sides.

And one of Sanchez, Mata or Rashford/Martial can always play on the right too. If we expect Rashford, Martial and Sanchez to be solely LW then we have a problem with too much competition on that side.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

Then two attacking full backs, one good passer C.B and a mobility midfielder please.
  10. Feb 5, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Playmaking CM please.
  11. Feb 5, 2018

fellaini's barber Full Member

We won't be challenging City for the PL with this attack, Rashford and Martial are too inconsistent, Rom hasn't impressed me this season. Sanchez alone won't be able to solve all our problems. Our most consistent/best attacker has been Lingard which is sad
  12. Feb 5, 2018

Hojoon Full Member

4-3-3 should be our main formation so 6 options in Sanchez, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard, and Mata for 3 positions are fine. One if not two CMs should be the main priority.
  13. Feb 5, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

If we do bring in another CB, we really need to be letting a couple go. Tuanzebe will be back and hopefully pushing next year as well. New CB, Bailly, Lindlehof, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe is just too much, even allowing for our annual injury crisis.

Personally would let one of Jones or Smalling go as well as Rojo, assuming whoever we bring in is comfortable on the left. You could make a case for all 3 going, but would prefer some continuity from some of our longer serving players.
  14. Feb 5, 2018

Bloody hell, Young became a left back because he was a shit winger now at the age of 32 we should make him a winger again? This place...
  15. Feb 5, 2018

Maurice Setters Training New Member

I wonder if he would class a 'defensive' winger like a younger Ji Sung Park or Willian as an attacker, and whether he might still buy someone like that for the right wing.
  16. Feb 5, 2018

BootsyCollins Full Member

Good, im happy with our attacking options too.
    If we buy a WC midfielder we wont play with more than 3 attackers most games anyway and then Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Alexis, Mata and Lindgard will be more than enough, specially with Gomes and maybe more knocking on the first teams door.
  17. Feb 5, 2018

L1nk Full Member

I'll be gutted if we give Liverpool a free run at Pulisic, this kid is a natural right winger and would be perfect for us, young enough to mould him to our team too
  18. Feb 5, 2018

MadMike Full Member

He became a left back because the rest of our left backs were shit and he was the best at it. He still is a winger. He's played as a winger this very season. He's a squad option with a particular quality, he's not a starter. The state of that post....
  19. Feb 5, 2018

jderbyshire Full Member

I think he said recently his top priority is a box-to-box to join Pogba and Matic in a midfield 3.

In other words, bye bye Herrera.
  20. Feb 5, 2018

Lentwood Full Member

It’s obvious that we need two CMs really. One to replace Herrera and one to replace Carrick/Fellaini

Then we’ve got a 32yo at RB and the LB position is still up for grabs despite Shaw’s recent good form

I even feel that Jose wants another CB, with Lindelof taking time, Bailly often injured and Smalling/Jones/Rojo being just short of world level
  21. Feb 5, 2018

Number1 Full Member

Many of our attacking players are still raw (Martial/Rashford) and Lingard as only just started to show promise in the last 2 months (not done it consistently for a whole season) but the plan is to stick? This is why we still won't catch City next season.

Look at all City's attacking options and they will still be improving in that department (hence them trying to sign Mahrez), Liverpool are also better than United attacking wise and they will be improving.
  22. Feb 5, 2018

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    I reckon we still go for an attacking talent if a top one becomes available plus Angel Gomes might get a chance.
  23. Feb 5, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

We've got Martial, Rashford and even Sanchez can play there.
  24. Feb 5, 2018

Robindinho New Member

I’d still like to sign a RW and a back up striker (unless he starts giving Martial/Rashford games there).

He’s right though - priorities should be left back and a Midfielder.

Out
    Darmian
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Young?

In
    Alex Sandro
    Vidal
    RW

Fosu-Mensah
    Pereira
  25. Feb 5, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

at least one fullback and one midfielder but call it what you will also at least one top-class winger
  26. Feb 5, 2018

Red Star One Full Member

Top CM and a full-back, that's the bare minimum for the summer.
  27. Feb 5, 2018

Antonedwin New Member

How much will veratti cost ? He is under raiola as well , a brilliant cm and still 25
  28. Feb 5, 2018

Number1 Full Member

Grizemann is available for £100m in the summer, 1 of the best attacking players in the world, United should be all over it.

I feel Mourihno is a sentimental coach though at times and this is a weakness of his, hence his love for Fellaini, would have allowed Rooney to stay (if he wanted), Zlatan a new contract, wanting Morata.

Good of a player he is and has been, I think most United fans know Mata can be improved on, yet we've extended his contract, not with a view to getting transfer fee for him in the summer, but him being big part of our attacking plans next season.
  29. Feb 5, 2018

sparx99 New Member

I'd like to see our squad look something like this for next season.

GK
    De Gea
    Pereira
    Henderson

RB
    Valencia
    Fosu-Mensah

CB
    Bailly
    Jones
    Rojo
    Tuanzebe
    NEW CB

LB
    Luke Shaw
    Alex Sandro

CM
    Matic
    Pogba
    McTominay
    Herrera
    Pereira
    Weigl

RW
    Mata
    Pulisic

CAM

Dybala
    Lingard

LW

Alexis
    Martial

ST
    Lukaku
    Rashford

The players leaving would be

Sergio Romero (Good but on decent wages and no better than Joel Pereira or Dean Henderson)
    Smalling (Not good enough with the ball at his feet)
    Young (Good solider but he's had his time and we look so much better balanced with Shaw and a proper top class FB will show what we've been missing)
    Fellaini (Contract is up and has never been anything more than a Plan B)
    Carrick (Retirement)
    Ibrahimovic (Retire/MLS)
    Darmian (Not good enough)
    Blind (Not enough pace)

My ideal signings would be

CB - Not sure but would have to be comfortable in possession.
    LB - Alex Sandro
    CM - Julian Weigl/Arthur/Kovacic
    RW - Christian Pulisic/Riyad Mahrez/Leon Bailey
    CAM - Paulo Dybala/Nabil Fekir

We'd probably only raise around £60m selling Darmian, Romero, Smalling, Young and Blind. But we will also save some big wages with Fellaini, Ibra and Carrick all coming off the books. This would also leave us with around 8 players leaving and 5 coming in with a further 3 returning from loan. It leaves us with a squad of 26 which you need for four competitions. Even if we did something like this with no CAM coming in I'd be happy.
  30. Feb 5, 2018

MadMike Full Member

As Barca found, he will cost you a Neymar and you still won’t get him. The last thing I want is for PSG to come sniffing for Pogba or Martial. Veratti is out of reach
  31. Feb 5, 2018

Moonred Full Member

We have enough. Depends on how we are coached and how we perform. The money will be spent in other areas which makes sense. We made that call when we spent that much money on Lukaku.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Yep, hilarious. Depend on Young as winger, jeez.

I think Martial can play LW and Sanchez through the middle. That leaves us a RW short. Lingard is a squad player and unless he maintains his form for awhile, I am not convinced it is anything more than a purple patch.

I don't rate Rashford, atleast he shouldn't be starting for us.
  33. Feb 5, 2018

Oh, I guess if we don't get a left back next season we could just put Sanchez there since that is how wingers become fullbacks...because our other left backs were shit indeed. Is Valencia a right back for the same reason? Thats a hilarious reason for changing an attacker to a defender coming from someone talking about the state of peoples posts.
  34. Feb 5, 2018

MThomas Full Member

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
    It's somewhat naive to suggest that PSG only went after Neymar because Barcelona tried to sign Veratti. Apart from that, it's highly unlikely that Veratti is going anywhere, that much is true.
  35. Feb 5, 2018

Adisa Full Member

I agree that it's not enough to win the title but we have to give these two, room to grow as players.
    They will never develop if we keep buying ready-made players because they're still developing.
    It's a similar situation with Ronaldo and Rooney.
    The long term benefits of giving them room to fulfil their potential might outweigh signing star players just so we can win the league next season. (Something that's not guaranteed even if we do).
  36. Feb 5, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Lingards been in form for 2 months, he hasn't been like this all season. Martial has been one of the best performers in the Premier league per 90 minutes in terms of the quality of chances he creates for himself and others. He hasn't been "too inconsistent" this season. Espeically now that we have Sanchez, our attack is fine and has loads of potential still as most are very young and will only improve. The problem is the cohesiveness of everyone around them and the midfield being woefully inconsistent and not giving them the right platform to build on. Individual players are fine, obviously not at their primes for martial and rashford, but at a good level and will only improve. So you don't want to buy anyone else to get ahead of them especially when martial has been performing to a very good level generally.
  37. Feb 5, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

With Mata, he's a squad player. Who are you going to get as a squad player like him, with his quality, the difference in style he offers, and the role he has in the squad? Sure, we could have gotten Ozil instead of him. But then Ozil turns into a must starter, forces us to play a 4231 long term even though that isn't how to get the best out of pogba, and reduces game time from martial, rashford and lingard, who deserve more and more game time and are constantly improving as players. You might not like martial, but he's been incredibly effective all season and he's shown his quality on numerous occasions and deserves to play.
  38. Feb 5, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

Midfield clearly his priority. Probably a full back as well.
  39. Feb 5, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

If I had absolute shit tonnes of money and you unleashed that pesky Mino Raiola on me for a month or two during the Summer I would make you pay dearly.
  40. Feb 5, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

If we insist on playing a 4-2-3-1 then I would say to move Pogba to the #10. I hate seeing him play so deep. 85m for a holding midfielder who doesn't defend very well? Seems like a waste to me. So we will need a couple players to replace Carrick and possibly Fellaini. I also wouldn't be upset to see Herrarra sold. He just doesn't have the discipline to play as a holding midfielder. He might make a lot of tackles, but that's because he goes ball chasing. So for every tackle he makes, he also misses one and leaves his man unmarked. As for the RW, what ever happened to the days of playing a right footed player out there? We seem to think we are overloaded on the left side with Sanchez, Martial and Rashford, but everyone of them is right footed (and so is Lingard). I'd like to see one of them playing on the right on a regular basis before I decide on whether or not we need a player for the RW. So other than the midfield, the only position I'd like to see us look at is a RB to eventually take over for Valencia, but we may already have that with TFM...