1. World Cup 2018 Forum now open for business
    Dismiss Notice

Mourinho says he's happy with his attacking options, won't be hunting for attackers this summer

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

I think aside from the obvious lack of quality we have at fullback and potentially CM, Mou will be looking out for a DM.

I know he loves Matic but I think he's realised over the course of this season (so far) that he's unable to play every week and maintain a top level. I think he'll play him in big games and in the CL but if he can find a younger, more dynamic player who can provide cover/compete with him I think it'll be high on his list. Maybe someone like Dedoncker who won't cost the earth would be a good signing.
  2. Feb 5, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

Classing Mata as a 'squad player' and saying that as though we should be happy and though he should be happy is exactly the problem. City have no 'squad players' on their bench, more times than not they have Bernardo Silva/Gundogan/Gabriel Jesus/Yaya sat there, are they squad players, no? They are like for like replacements for Sterling/Sane/Aguero/David Silva/KDB, just as they will have 2 of either Kompany/Stones/Otamendi/Laporte sat on the bench, all equally as quality as each other, that's what big teams should be striving for, like for like replacements not 'squad players'.

Also i don't dislike Martial, i don't watch United thinking 'mess up, mess up' everytime he's on the ball, I'm routing for the guy. I have no problem praising him when he does well (which i have done) and i have no problem saying he played poor when i think he played poor just as i don't any other player.
  3. Feb 5, 2018

MadMike Full Member

What in god's name are you even talking about?
  4. Feb 5, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Don't think it's realistic to expect teams to have what City have right now. And they are squad players. Not like for like at all. Gundogan isn't a patch on de Bruyne or Silva, Bernardo Silva was bought in with the goal to be a starter eventually for David Silva I think. He's obviously a very good player already. Jesus same, brought in to replace Aguero eventually.

This type of depth won't last long for them though. It never does more then a season or 2. No top player will be happy to be rotated. They fight for their spot a little bit, either get the spot, or move on. Aguero will probably move on. Silva is old and might move back to Valencia or just retire as he declines. Do you think they'll be able to get players like Bernardo Silva and Jesus in their current quality in 2 years when those are starting for city and the only "open" spots are on the bench with no clear route in the team? It's why spurs have had so many problems finding cover for Kane. Nobody is going to go there as they know they're just back up as long as he's there.

At United, we have Sanchez as an automatic starter. 2 players with world class potential and one who has been performing really well and making a big step up this season with Martial (rashford the other). We have lingard who has made huge strides this season. All need games and are good enough. Then we have Mata to provide something different, is late 20's, and is happy to be rotated in and out despite being a quality player. Anyone you upgrade Mata with will demand a starting spot pretty much. I definitely agree with Mourinho here. This summer at least, we don't need anyone in attack. All in on fixing the midfield and fullbacks. Summer 2019 though, that's when we will probably look to replace Mata and possibly Lukaku if he doesn't improve much, as well as get a complete idea on where martial, rashford and lingard are.
  5. Feb 5, 2018

ghagua Full Member

I am fine going forward with the attackers we have, would have loved either Mahrez or Dybala and get rid of Mata. What we need to do is sort out the midfield as soon as possible. Pogba and Matic is not working together against top opposition. The lack of protection for the defense is a huge concern for me.
  6. Feb 5, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

This wouldn't be so bad if any of our attackers were good on the right and if there was a genuine chance of Sanchez or Martial displacing Lukaku as the main starting #9, I still feel we are one short in terms of balance in the options.
  7. Feb 5, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

You need to get better routing, it seems there is a malfunctioning, critical node in your network.
    As a former IT guy, i couldn't resist.
  8. Feb 5, 2018

fellaini's barber Full Member

Those two were some of the best young players in the world and sealed their spot in the team by being the best in their respective positions not because we stopped buying players to compete with them for places. They weren't made automatic starters they worked their way up the pecking order ahead of more experienced players. Its only on the caf that signing a star player means the death of some youngsters career. Madrid/Barca have star players in every position yet manage to produce more talented youngsters than us. We don't have a team remotely as good as theirs yet we're talking about not signing players because of x players development. Signing star players does not stop any youngster from developing as long as they're good enough and as long as the manager is willing to give them minutes in a long season.

We've had Rashford/Martial as our first/second choice wingers for 2 seasons in a row now, no one can say we have not given them time to develop, we need to stop playing catch up with City and Europe's elite teams.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

haram Full Member

We need CM’s and fullbacks.
  10. Feb 5, 2018

I don't think I really have a problem with Martial as our first choice LW. Its just that on the days where he doesn't deliver, which is most big games we look entirely hopeless and our bench options don't fill you with much hope. I'd be pissed off if I have to spend the whole of next season 'chasing' City knowing fully well we're not good enough to catch them and us looking like underdogs whenever the two of us meet, all because we're not improving our attack so some youngsters can develop. I don't get this caf mentality where signing star players means the destruction of a youngsters career.
  11. Feb 5, 2018

Dude, you said the reason Young is currently a left back is because our other left backs were shit
  12. Feb 5, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

I agree. One world class right winger arguably, unless we will play Sanchez there, martial left and Lukaku steps it up.
  13. Feb 5, 2018

Kemizee New Member

To everyone concurring by saying "Yea he is right, we don't need another attacker", I want to state that there are two possibilities that will accompany this decision next season; (a) Mourinho had better step up his

attacking drills in training because so far we have been disjointed many a times this season or (b) he better go out and purchase top quality attackers to mask this deficiency.

We are currently playing catch up to City especially in attack and they were just about to spend 60million on Mahrez and will definitely upgrade on Aguero and all we can say is " we are okay in attack"

We are not . The only attackers I rate are Sanchez and Lukaku (who still has question marks on him by the way) .

I don't rate Martial & Rashford at the moment. Potential? Yes but we need more than potentials to become top dogs again in England, never mind Europe. We need to be feared on the pitch and those youngsters I am

sorry don't just do that.

Mata for me is the slowest of them all and most times contributes nothing in attack.

Next season,I hope those saying we are okay in attack will not complain of the frustrations from Rashford , Martial and Lukaku wondering why they were not sent on loan or used as squad players.

I see that happening next season and we will finish 2nd or 3rd and most will wonder why. This attack is not good enough in my opinion. Apologies for any errors in my English.
  14. Feb 5, 2018

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

If we manage to sign some high class midfielder who can support attacks and shoot from distance then perhaps it's a solution... and then on top of that there's Pereira who could bomb forward from centre midfield and wings.
  15. Feb 5, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

I wouldn't say Martial is a problem in the big games really. He's shown plenty of times he can perform in big games in the past. If you're singling anyone out for those, then it has to be Lukaku and Pogba (especially Lukaku). But anyway, my point is, the players in the attack aren't the problem in these big games. It's the system we use in these games which is the biggest problem IMO. We have really good players all over (though yes do need another midfielder of course), but the away record we have in big games since Mourinho took over you can't really blame on players. At a certain point, it's the tactics you have to look at. It's up to Mourinho to get our talents producing to their best just like Guardiola has gotten Sterling, Sane, De Bruyne all playing at their best this season. You can't just fix everything with signings.

And in some situations, yes, signing star players is the destruction of a youngsters career. Or at least at that club. We absolutely needed Sanchez as we were short someone like him and a star like him. But after that, our attack is fine. Maybe in a year and a half we re-evaluate and see how everyone is, and I agree we generally will need to sign someone for the right wing. But it's worth giving Rashford, Lingard and Martial the proper chance to try and become the top players they have the potential to be (especially Martial). Think back to when Sir Alex was manager. We had Rooney and Ronaldo being incredibly inconsistent for a good 3 years before they became "top" players. Sometimes you just have to struggle with them a little bit. Martial recently turned 22, and is probably on pace for scoring 15-20 goals and getting around 15-20 assists this season playing on the wing. That's a terrific total. He scored 17 goals in his first season playing as a wing. That's not something you just decide isn't good enough because he's inconsistent like a normal young player. Same with Rashford. He turned 20 this season, but he's been really productive for the most part and has loads of potential. You buy someone who is 25 or 26 and suddenly that's their spot for the next 5 years and there is no future outlook for him. It's part of the reason why I wasn't crazy about signing Lukaku. Lukaku is 24 and was 75m, meaning there's not a big chance of him being displaced in the near future even if others play better then him. There's already the issue of where Rashford will be long term, since Martial's potential is on another level IMO.

Maybe at some other clubs they'd just sign established players to fill those spots right now and not give them the proper chance, just loan them off to develop elsewhere (Chelsea, City, Real Madrid), but United have always been a club that grew these players and I'd hate us moving away from that, and I'm glad that we aren't.
  16. Feb 5, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

Shouldn't be be coaching it, rather than hoping?

Or are you like me, who thinks he's simply incapable of the latter :D
  17. Feb 5, 2018

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

I don't see anyone in our current squad to fill that right side which has been a problem for a long time. Thought Sanchez might have been used there if I'm honest.
  18. Feb 5, 2018

Jeffthered Full Member

If Mourinho is serious, then I cannot see United winning the major club honours, because in my opinion, the likes of Martial, Mata, Lindgard, Lukaku aren't quite up to the top, top level to actually go through a season and win the top prizes. They all lack consistency, and I question their ability as players from the very, very top drawer. If Mourinho works some magic on the coaching ground and proves me wrong, then that's great. And we also have to factor in how Mourinho sets his teams out to play. Can we get any more out of our attackers playing in the manner we do? It reflects the manager in every way. On and off, emotional, dour, functional and frequently lacking inspiration.

Rashford is still v v young, and I can't place too much pressure on him, his progress has been excellent. And I await to see Lukaku in a second season, but he does seem to lack a little maturity, and has found it difficult to play in a team that doesn't play on the counter (like he was at Everton)

We need an Aguero.. Kane... real, week in, week out, top, top attacking players. I also think we lack width in the final third. I wouldn't mind a, for instance, Mahrez swap for any of the above. He's better than all of them. Or take a punt on Bale. But we cannot look at things and say this is enough. Surely.
  19. Feb 5, 2018

mike bird Banned

Supports:
    Boston Celtics

Funny! In a sense, ha ha funny, with sarcasm.

Was watching Super Bowl last night, an ex-player commentator said this: "Offense will win you games, defense will win you championships".

I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but I couldn't agree more with that statement. If parking the bus means have a mean defense, I m all for it. And I know we can argue all day long about how we are not efficient when attacking teams, but I am totally happy with Jose building a team that starts from the back. With the addition of Sanchez, we will definitely improve our attacking prospects and fluidity going forward.

I do expect Jose to reinforce the midfield, so Pogba can roam up higher where he is at his best.
  20. Feb 5, 2018

Von Mistelroum Full Member

Can't agree with this. Our attack is decent but nothing special. Alexis is clearly class, Martial is good on his day, Rashford is very hit and miss, Lingard is a decent player having a purple patch, Lukaku needs time and to really work on his first touch. I don't think we've a good enough attack overall and I'd suggest that we should look to bring in a right winger at least. Possibly even a backup striker too.
  21. Feb 5, 2018

Jed I. Knight The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Very good post, this, and I agree with most of what you're saying.
  22. Feb 5, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Dybala will go to Spurs when Kane will move to Real
  23. Feb 5, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Or he could simply convince Sanchez to play on the right in certain games....
  24. Feb 5, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

More chance of Kane to United than Dybala to Spurs imo.
  25. Feb 5, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

What kind of pricetag do you think Kane would have on him if United enquired?
  26. Feb 5, 2018

Tapori Full Member

Really, we need a versatile commanding midfielder to give Matic or Pogba a rest and play in a 3 or a two with McTominay and Herrera
  27. Feb 5, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Orth of £200 million I’d say mate.

I can’t see it ever happening, but I still think it’s more likely than Dybala to Spurs.
  28. Feb 5, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Actually,
    Gundogan is Fernandinho's direct competitor. it's Yaya Toure and Bernardo Silva who are the actual cover/competition for KDB and David Silva
  29. Feb 5, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    personally I'm very happy with the idea of Mourimho waiting for Lukaku, Martial , Rashford and Lingard developing and fulfilling their potential. Just like Fergie did with Becks, Cole, Giggs and Scholes when he had Cantona. Plus How he waited for CR7 and W10 to mature
  30. Feb 5, 2018

yo@Kirk Full Member

Man Utd have 5 goals in 6 matches and collected 7 of a possible 18 points vs top six clubs. Three goals were against 6th place Arsenal. In 3 of those six matches, Utd have been shut out. Utd have 4 matches left vs top 6 clubs. I can't imagine bookies putting the over/under for total goals by Utd in those 4 matches above 2.5. At present, Mourinho's attack is good enough to compete for a CL spot and a domestic cup. I don't believe it's good enough to compete for CL or PL titles. What are Mourinho's ambitions for Man Utd?

If Mourinho thinks the attack is good enough to compete for CL and PL titles, someone needs to show they can consistently score goals and create goal scoring chances at the RW position by the end of the season or the attack needs a new RW. Same for the #10 position if Mourinho wants to play a formation that uses a #10.
  31. Feb 5, 2018

NoPace Full Member

I'd put the first XI in the following tiers in terms of upgrade-ability. I've left CBs out since we have a bunch and just bought one for 30M and they've all done fine under Mourinho, basically, and Bailly is probably the best of the lot and presumably will be healthy by the start of next season (even if he can't stay that way):

Basically impossible:
    Pogba (AM/CM), De Gea (GK), Sanchez (LW)

Not going to happen this summer:
    Matic (DM), Valencia (RB), Lukaku (ST)

Likely needs addressing:
    Martial/Mata (RW)

Needs addressing:
    Herrera/Lingard (AM/CM), Shaw (LB)

So, I think we'll sign a midfielder and a left-back, but it wouldn't shock me if that's it. If Martial adjusts well to RW or if Sanchez is moved there and is as productive and Martial does well again out left, I don't think we'd need to sign an attacker really, since Pogba is basically a 10 and Lingard and Mata bring different things to the table there.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Sanchez signing has made things much easier for us. Was a great move.
  33. Feb 5, 2018

Vernon Philander Full Member

Could well be a ploy to drive down the price of, say, a Perisic.

Think it's fair to say that we're a very good midfielder and defender away from being a team capable of realistically challenging on all fronts.
  34. Feb 5, 2018

Trophy Room Full Member

I don't think the problem is the personal but rather the way we have setup in these games. High press and ball recovery have been non existent bar the Arsenal match. The percentage of possession our attackers have had especially in dangerous attacking areas has been so low in these games that we cannot expect them to score the goals needed. The entire balance between midfield and attack has been poor and therefore we cannot expect to do well against teams who have a better team dynamic ala Liverpool, City, Tottenham especially when they raise their performance levels in games against us.

The reason why we are in second place is because of our home form and the fact that we have learnt to put away the smaller teams - something of critical importance if we want to win the league. This is also one of the main reasons why we bought Lukaku. Unfortunately, recognition of our progression will only come when we consistently beat the bigger teams. We need a midfielder to really control our play. I would love Kroos but he is unattainable. The other thing we really need to improve on is quick ball recovery high up the pitch, we will never win the major trophies if we don't improve on this.
  35. Feb 5, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Whilst I take your point about the RW I genuinely feel our attack would be transformed if we stop playing our best outfield player as a sitting midfielder
  36. Feb 5, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

Yea, I think spurs are building something under Levy and unless they get £200 or close to it, theres no chance of him moving. Is Spurs his boyhood club too?
  37. Feb 5, 2018

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I hope he's serious. We have the talent, haven't found the system. Find the system, Jose. And a proper midfielder.
  38. Feb 6, 2018

Brightonian Full Member

This is what I always always like to hear from a manager. Especially our manager. He's happy with the players he's got, and wants to work on getting the best out of them. We have phenomenal talent in this team - money isn't the way to improve it now. Practice, application and vision from the manager is the way forward from here.

And he needs to grow a pair and coach them to play the same way against Chelsea or Spurs as they do against Stoke or Watford.
  39. Feb 6, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Nah..Mou usually means what he says and he’s been to the under 23’s to watch Tahith Chong I believe. Surely we have more urgent areas of the pitch to address.
  40. Feb 6, 2018

parkthebuslads Full Member

I thought he was just complaining about not being able to rest Lukaku?