Mourinho says he's happy with his attacking options, won't be hunting for attackers this summer

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 6, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

He has been talking about replacing Carrick and Fellaini though so for instance if Mata goes then we would need to replace an attacker by that logic?

Anyway if we signed Alexis in the summer the day the window opened then we would be happy with that as our attack having been strengthened. The only thing is we did it in January instead so I think its like getting your Xmas present in September (you know the cool one you really want) and then on Xmas morning you get the rest of your presents which turn out to be nice sensible things you needed. Like socks.

I reckon this window will be pretty low key in terms of signing a megastar like Bale/Greizmann or Dybala and instead we will be looking at good options to sort the midfield.

Itll be interesting if there is a realistic chance to obtain the likes of Ronaldo/Bale however....what would Ed do....?
  2. Feb 6, 2018

RooneyLegend Full Member

He can't be serious.
  3. Feb 6, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

I’m convinced the players ability has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective they are in attack right now so I’m glad he’s going to work on the current lot a bit more. Instead of just getting the chequebook out. Griezmann has flop written all over him (for the hype). We have quality up top - need to coach it better.

I 100% agree that midfield is the priority along with some fullbacks (at least backups)
  4. Feb 6, 2018

nah_it_wont_happen New Member

I think Mourinho isn't too wrong on this, we need to improve our midfield positions more than the attacking one. If possible, I'd sign Sergej Milinkovi-Savic, Jean Seri and bring back Andreas Pereira. If we do sign an attacker, that has to be Riyad Mahrez, we need a left footer badly.

The other position we need badly is a right full-back as Valencia is getting on a bit now. We need to get rid of Darmian as well.
  5. Feb 6, 2018

pcaming Full Member

We need to sort out Defense and Mid, so i'd be content with the attack going in next season.
  6. Feb 6, 2018

RC89 Full Member

The amount of smoke screens we've dropped, don't trust him people. Though I'm glad to see were likely to get another mid... I hope.
  7. Feb 6, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

If he was saying this in May I might just believe it.

As it is it’s the start of February. We have at least 6 huge games in which our attackers need to perform and obviously games beyond that if we get through in the cups. If our form against big teams continues – 2 goals in 5 against the top 5 PL teams – Then there is just no way we can enter next season with the same options. Lukaku in particular must produce – He’s not been bad by any stretch but has been found wanting time and again in the tougher fixtures. Needs to show us something.

Alexis is obviously a huge boost to the side and I do think we looked more threatening against Spurs even without scoring. There’s pressure on Mourinho and the players to get this right otherwise I think we’ll be looking for external solutions.

Also not sure Woodward will pass on the opportunity to get a marketable star if one becomes available – Namely Gareth Bale.
  8. Feb 6, 2018

Sanche7 New Member

Mourinho is right, if you look at our squad, we have 3 World Class Players - DDG, Pogba and Sanchez.
    Then we have Martial, Lukaku, Matic, Bailly who are very good and in case of latter two, potential world class.You could probably add Valencia to that list, but for me he doesn't contribute much in attack.
    So,
    Attack - very good starters, good backups ,can maybe add a RW

Midfield - Two very good starters and that's it
    No depth, badly need a #6, #8 to help out Matic,Pogba and would help us switch to 4-3-3

Defense - Except Bailly who will hopefully be injury free next season and DDG, there's room for improvement.A CB can wait as we have 6 of them but fullbacks are absolutely necessary, atleast 1

So clearly the midfield and the defense are the weak areas and should be the priority.If we had unlimited funds, I wouldn't mind a RW at all, but looks like we have restrictions and so if we can buy 2 CMs and 2 FBs, I would be very happy with that window.Even that would cost almost 200 mill.

People underestimate what effect those 4 signings could have on our team.
    - Switching to 4-3-3 will make the team more defensively solid and more fluid going forward.

- Signing a DLP would mean Pogba won't have to come deep everytime to collect and distribute.

- A creative tough tackling midfielder (Vida Nainggolan ) would decrease the creative and defensive burden on Pogba.

- FBs who can actually cross and overlap will transform our play, especially with the aerial powers of Lukaku

Just signing attackers wouldn't improve our attack, Unless we sign someone like Kane, who can single handedly create goals.For the current set of players we have, especially the 75 and 89 million pound ones we have, signing CM + FB would allow us to get the best out of them.
  9. Feb 6, 2018

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Fellainis name is Out Fellaini now apparently.
  10. Feb 6, 2018

Smores Full Member

I think he's spot on to be honest, it will mean we need to step up but we have the players to do that. Rashford and Martial should both be improving and Lukaku right now is unusually out of form.

Our goal scoring this season has actually been fairly decent even if there is room for improvement.
  11. Feb 6, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

I'm not sure Smores. We've still not got a right winger, it's been like 6 years now since last having one. So we'll either need to play Martial/Rashford out of position on the right, or we'll continue with Mata.

We just need to hope that De Gea doesn't leave because if he does we'll have a hard time of it next year.
  12. Feb 6, 2018

Smores Full Member

I think Sanchez will end up out there but there really isn't any reason why Martial can't learn to adapt to play RW. In fact it may be good for him.

Overall i think we need decent crossers more than a dedicated right winger. If we go 443 the right midfielder and right back can provide width. Periera seems to have a lovely cross on him if he gets a chance in that position
  13. Feb 6, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

The answer at United is always to throw money at the problem. Why assume that the current version of your attack is the best version? Also, so many people who keep putting Martial, one of the more productive players right now, as one for "potential". He's delivering already. If sterling and sane can be part of a title winning side, so can Martial.

We need to get our cohesion, unity, tactics to elevate the whole. That's the key at the moment
  14. Feb 6, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

I hate the idea of pushing players round the pitch, we've been doing it for 6 years. Just sign a ruddy right winger. :lol:
  15. Feb 6, 2018

dove Full Member

I think we will get RW anyway but apart from that I agree with him. Our focus should be getting 1 or 2 CM and sorting out defence. Replacing Smalling and Jones is top priority, I would get a new RB as well.
  16. Feb 6, 2018

DatIrishFella Band of Brothers, Thief

A good ball playing centre back is what we desperately need to partner Bailly. How's Javi Martinez these days? A box to box CM to play in a midfield three alongside Matic and Pogba, not sure who though (Saul or Koke?). We're a couple of signings away from challenging for the top titles imo.
  17. Feb 6, 2018

sully1 Full Member

Jose is pretty much expecting Darmain and Blind to go so he will be after a CB and a full back.

I would love to see TFM get some regular football next season at United so maybe a full back wot be bought.

But yeah i agree, 2 CM's and a defender will be his priority in the summer.
  18. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Yes we do have the firepower now but we need someone to load the ammunition. A top dynamic midfielder in a 3 man midfield and let Pogba roam.
  19. Feb 11, 2018

Adisa Full Member

Today's lineup makes me think this isn't entirely true. With Ibrahimovich going, we still need someone.
    One injury and we have an empty bench.
  20. Feb 11, 2018

SS Full Member

Rashford? Don't forget about the lads coming through the academy too.
  21. Feb 11, 2018

vangagal New Member

Look at the line up. He said that because Rashford is injured likely and we have no other option Mata aside. It would be logical to search one more ready attacker option in the market.
    We can always afford academy players playing time. Problem is when coming tough matches we can be short of option if one of our attacker injury.
  22. Feb 11, 2018

SS Full Member

I'm fairly sure we'll be changing to a 433 next season, so Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Mata, Rashford, Lingard and someone like Chong or Gomes from the academy is enough in my eyes for depth in the attacking positions.
  23. Feb 11, 2018

vangagal New Member

If Mou buy 2 midfielder next summer and use Pereira in midfield i'm fairly sure too but none of those players playing comfortably from the right side apart from Mata or maybe Sanchez. Martial Rashford best form come from either left side or center. But i'm happy with our attack option tbh just need them to perform.
    Chong and maybe Gomes will get more minutes next season in odd cup games if we stay in title contender come December. If situation looks bleak again i'm sure Mou will use first teamer again in odd cup games.
  24. Feb 11, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member

No sane person can look at our attacking options and be completely happy. Jose talks shit half the time so I wouldn't take much notice.
  25. Feb 11, 2018

MrMourinho#7 New Member

Supports:
    Constant Improvement
    He's having a laugh if he really thinks our attacking options are enough. Our right wing is non-existant and it's nothing new. That has been the case for the last 5 years at least.
  26. Feb 11, 2018

Harry190 Full Member

Time to take out the white handkerchiefs. We don't have a game plan.
  27. Feb 11, 2018

Number1 Full Member

So we'll be going into next season with this forward line-up? A bunch of attackers who have failed to score in the last 2 games (Spurs and Newcastle).

Kiss Griezmann's arse, buy out his contract and let's stop fecking around, because other than Sanchez all our attacking options are marmite.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  28. Feb 11, 2018

Judas Open to offers

We've got the players, we don't have the tactics to get the best out of them. There's some major issues with the way the team players, not the individuals.
  29. Feb 11, 2018

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Our attackers have the talent but don't have any sort of consistency and it costs us big time. We need someone at #10 the same calibre as Sanchez however as Lingard just isn't the answer.
  30. Feb 11, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

We need a proper attacking coach who can put some ideas into these bunch of overpaid forwards.
  31. Feb 11, 2018

Quizierda Full Member

Really hope he doesn't!
    Instead I hope he hunts for a new job and our new manager adresses the areas of need.
  32. Feb 11, 2018

RedElf Full Member

Nuts if he's happy with how we attack.
  33. Feb 11, 2018

Dion Full Member

He shouldn't have disrupted the left hand side of the pitch, just stick Sanchez on the right.
  34. Feb 11, 2018

Castia Full Member

We’ve got the attackers, Lukaku, Alexis, Martial, Rashford and Mata are more than good enough, it’s not an excuse. We could have Messi and Ronaldo upfront with our midfield and the way we play (4231) it wouldn’t make much difference, it’s a complete shambles all over the pitch.
  35. Feb 11, 2018

davidmichael Full Member

If Barca are going to sign Griezmann for £100 million on top of £140 on Coutinho and £130 on Dembele they’re going to struggle fitting all that attacking power into a starting 11 with Messi and Suarez, with Dembele not exactly hitting it off I’d offer Barca their money back on him as that’d be our right side sorted immediately and long term too.
  36. Feb 11, 2018

Jazz Full Member

We could get Neymar, Messi & Ronaldo and we'd still look the same way. It's on Jose and his tactics/coaching or lack thereof. We need to accept this reality and pray he comes to his senses.
  37. Feb 11, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You can be sure that not all of them will play at the same time.