Mourinho: Shaw did something new

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jacky Quacky, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2017

Jacky Quacky made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once

In Mourinhos press conference against Anderlecht he stated that Shaw did something new for him and that was to play the final 30 minutes with cramps, showing real determination and commitment. I guess this shows that Shaw knows the real deal and it helps knowing that Mourinho is trusting him more.

Mourinho said that he was ready to bring on Young but Shaw denied him. He then said that means a lot to him and is what makes him trusts the players.

This is great to hear because Mourinho/Shaw have been going through a tough time lately and if Shaw shows this attitude until the end of the season he could cement himself as LB for the future.
  2. Apr 21, 2017

Skills Snitch

Great stuff. Thought he was great tonight down the left. Especially in the second half
  3. Apr 21, 2017

MadMike Full Member

He used to be great defensively and poor offensively now things seems reversed. He was caught out of position a lot in the first half when Anderlecht played better (between 15'-45'). But in the second half when we attacked he looked very good. He was gassed during ET though.

I think he might survive this summer if keeps fighting. I think Blind's position is more precarious.
  4. Apr 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Wrote this comment in Shaw thread so will copy it here.

Shaw finally understands what Jose wants from him and other players and applying it. Jose would really loves this from him.

He wants his players to always be men on the field and our players weren't this before he arrived . They used to lose and say excuses for their losses, to miss a game for the slightest knock and other things that shouldn't be the attributes of a player playing for the top club.

Jose will change the mentality of these players and the one who won't respond will be thrown out of the window. Shaw understands this , so is Rashford and before them Mikhi. Time for Martial and other teammates to understand this if they want to survive.
  5. Apr 21, 2017

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Was disappointed with his first half but he definitely improved as the game went on. Still think he has a long way to go and we shouldnt rule out signing a left back, but he does have hope. The way he finishes this season is key to his future imo.
  6. Apr 21, 2017

Brightonian Full Member

Mourinho is a genius at feeding the press narratives. His criticism of Shaw was over the top and oddly brutish, given he was talking about a young player struggling to get his confidence back after a horrible injury which came before he'd really had a chance to settle in at this high-profile club. And now the change of tone is, let's be honest, kind of knee-jerk and transparent. "He was doing everything wrong before, then I threw down the gauntlet, and now he's doing everything right.'

It's obviously not that simple, but it's this sort of thing that has the press wrapped round his little finger. The outcome is that they're right back on the 'Mourinho is a genius' train, and also liable to be generous to Shaw after any positive performances in order to stick with the 'look how Mourinho fixed Shaw' narrative which they've committed to.

Back in reality, I thought this was a really positive performance. Not totally back to his best, but with real flashes of it. That direct first touch when running onto a high long ball, scything past his opposite number, is wonderful to watch. And his deliveries once he'd beaten his man and got into the box were all excellent, which again was a hallmark of his play before the injury - consistent end product. How Lingard didn't put that one in...
  7. Apr 21, 2017

Womp Full Member

He didn't talk about confidence, he spoke about effort. Broken leg or not, that's the past, he's fully recovered and back in business, not giving it all is unacceptable. There is no narrative or subliminal messages, Shaw himself said he wasn't doing well enough and now he is, so he's playing more. Long may it continue
  8. Apr 21, 2017

Brightonian Full Member

There's nothing subliminal but there absolutely is a heightened narrative being offered there. Shaw's performances before Mourinho roasted him in the press didn't have some magical missing John Terry Lionheart ingredient, they were just a bit all over the place. If you think it's as simple as that he wasn't trying before and now he is, you need to go back and look again. It's almost childishly simplistic, but that works perfectly in a few short column inches where you have to tell a story. Tough love coach throws down gauntlet, mopey kid finally rises to the challenge.

I'm not criticising Mourinho here. As I pointed out, he's doing it because it ends up getting both him and Shaw good press. It's an important part of his job, to direct them where he wants them to go.
  9. Apr 21, 2017

Womp Full Member

All over the place and a lack of effort in training was what was discussed though. His positioning and decision making has been questionable when he's played, even today when I thought he did pretty well. He hasn't been quick to close down attackers, he's been caught out of position etc.

They're still young and they're going to need to learn, whether or not this approach is the right way I don't know, none of us do. We don't see them at training everyday, Jose does.
  10. Apr 21, 2017

Brightonian Full Member

Well, it's an approach that works almost as well on the players as on the press. Shaw probably wasn't sure why he couldn't get it together. In some games his fitness seemed to be a problem. In some games his attitude looked off. In some games he was trying hard and things just weren't coming off. In some games he was just getting very unlucky. Confusing, and hard to shake off. But tell him it's a simply a case of not trying hard enough, throw down an ultimatum, and then as soon as he strings two half-decent performances together you tell him he's giving it his all now and that's made the difference. He's not the brightest spark, he'll believe you and mentally he's already over the slump. It's almost a placebo.
  11. Apr 21, 2017

Womp Full Member

Fair point, but I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't have spoken to Shaw multiple times about what needed to change behind closed doors. It's not as if their only form of communication is through the press. Think it was just a case of not ready, mentally or physically and now it seems to be like he's getting there. Couldn't have come a better time too.
  12. Apr 21, 2017

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

I thought shaw was very good despite the mistake for their goal. So well done to him and I hope he keeps at it. He could be a quality left back.
  13. Apr 21, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

As the World Turns....
  14. Apr 21, 2017

manunited1919 Full Member

That knock he took today will be very helpful for him to overcome any fear he had left over after the horrific leg break he suffered.
  15. Apr 21, 2017

Insanity Most apt username 2015

What a shocker that a player was initially circumspect and didn't trust his body fully after coming back from a horrific injury. Jose is such a genius! Making men out of boys.
  16. Apr 21, 2017

RedFish Full Member

No chance he's going IMO. To have such little game time and yet be able to play as well as he did last night just underlines his natural ability. That he is apparently willing to work hard to adapt to Mourinho's modus operandi convinces me now that he has a long term future here.
  17. Apr 21, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

Yup exactly
  18. Apr 21, 2017

Natener Full Member

There's many other achievements in Jose's CV worthy of him being a genius that Shaw deal is just a small matter. Some other players have never got out of their bad injuries, see Possebon, Arsenal's Eduardo and that welsh fellow at Arsenal whose name has already fizzled out of my mind. It wouldn't hurt if Shaw got the right push he needed from the manager that puts him back on the path to fulfilling his potential instead of being stuck being just a decent leftback for the remaining of his career.
  19. Apr 21, 2017

sashiko Banned

come on...the players are the same. It's all about Mou loving publicity and manipulating. Pity we'd never know what the players think about it deep inside.
  20. Apr 21, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Let's hope that will kick start his career here
  21. Apr 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

No they aren't. The change in our players mentality in the past 3 years compared to SAF era was petty obvious.
  22. Apr 21, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Shocking defensively last night but made some good runs forward and dug deep. Encouraging but has a long way to go. Think he is finding out he can't just go out a play of the cuff. Will be a good learning curve for him if he survives this. Fingers crossed for him and us as potentially he has all the tools mentally I'm not yet convinced but I'm rooting for him.
  23. Apr 21, 2017

sashiko Banned

if you drop out the new guys, the quality and the result will be the same. He picks up a guy from time to time and starts to put pressure on him untill one good game wheт he says the guy has changed or achived something. Then there comes a new victim. If all have changed to the better probably MU wouldn't have struggled against almost every opposition and a match tread wouldn't have been 90% full of critics and frustration
  24. Apr 21, 2017

Insanity Most apt username 2015

I am not sure that they never came back the same because "they didn't get the right push needed from their manager". He had a horrific injury, does it surprise anyone that it's taking a while for him to adjust back to regular football?
  25. Apr 21, 2017

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Can I be controversial and say Mourinho is manipulating Shaw's stock price for the upcoming transfer window? I'll believe Shaw has turned the corner if he's kept on in the summer.
  26. Apr 21, 2017

Now Mourinho is talking about Shaw like he is a lost puppy that he adopted.
  27. Apr 21, 2017

MrSingh2002 Full Member

Think he was defensively slow to close down his winger towards the end of the game which is something that wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Mourinho but he still respects him for showing grit over quality on this occasion.
  28. Apr 21, 2017

Even if that is the plan he is not handling it well. Because of Mourinho's comments this year Shaw now has questions about his fitness, mentality, toughness and Football intelligence.
  29. Apr 21, 2017

Kostur Full Member

Nearly a whole season after his injury healed?

Yeah.
  30. Apr 21, 2017

Jerch Full Member

Look at comments from other players who had the same injury and you will notice that most of them say that it is a lot harder to recover mentally then physically. I think that was also the case with Shaw.
  31. Apr 21, 2017

Kostur Full Member

Yeah I'm not denying that at all, it's just a lot of time for me, think this was done to death already but there probably wouldn't be as much heat on Shaw's back if the previous manager(s) didn't question his fitness or mentality.
  32. Apr 21, 2017

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Wrong. Shaw always had questions about his fitness and mentality. LvG, Pochettino and Hodgson have criticised him over this too.
  33. Apr 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

What is this related to my post ? I'm not talking about performance and results. I was talking about the degrading mentality our players were showing after SAF retired in the past 3 years, losing and not giving a feck about it but giving the fans thousands of excuses and promises they will be better next game which never comes , missing games for the slightest knock and giving up the game immediately once we go down even if it's in the first 5 minutes. Our players mentality in last 3 years wasn't a mentality suited for a big club players.

Jose doesn't like this. Throught out his career all his players were men used to fight for him and for the team whatever the circumstances. He rates work rate above talent, just like SAF. Now he came and saw a bunch of kids used to excuses for their horrible performance and losses and sadly some fans are accepting these excuses from them and thought it's alright. He's taking the hard way to change their mentality, to get them to fight for him and for the club and not taking the slightest excuse for their bad performance or a loss. Some players in the squad are starting to understand this , Shaw is starting to understand this , others need to cope with it or they would be thrown out of the window in summer.

Actually if you can't see how the mentality of players degraded heavily from men under SAF to a bunch of crying kids under Moyes and LVG then you need to rewatch the past 4 years again because I have nothing else to say.
  34. Apr 21, 2017

And was anyone here really complaining about Shaw's performances until Mourinho started Whiplashing him after the Swansea match in November?
  35. Apr 21, 2017

Kostur Full Member

You mean in his career as a whole here? Think so yeah.

The only time when nobody complained about his performances because there was not much to complain about was that purple patch of something about 7-8 games just before he got injured.
  36. Apr 21, 2017

We have been here before. Only LVG really questioned his fitness rest of the quotes people brought up were taken out of context.
  37. Apr 21, 2017

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Yes, out of context indeed. Telling a youngster to work hard on fitness aspect.
  38. Apr 21, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

At times, he seems to be a little confused as to what his job is. Doesnt seem to know whether to get forward or stay back. All he has to do is watch Valencia on thr opposite flank. Both are very similar in terms of physique and other attributes (pace etc.). Both have suffered bad injuries and Valencia has illustrated how to overcome any mental blocks or challenges one could face from such an issue. Shaw has a lot to learn. I still think many underestimate how much that injury affects him. People learn differently but I think Mourinho has handled him well. Playing him in a massive game when we have Blind and Young (very determined performance vs Chelsea), who are ahead of him in the pecking order, will do him a world of good.
  39. Apr 21, 2017

He does not really say anything negative about him there.
  40. Apr 21, 2017

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    José loves a player that will hide any injuries they have, to make themselves available for a match but possibly to the detriment of their future career.