Mourinho v Spurs and Chelsea

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SAred, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Oct 22, 2017

SAred Full Member

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
    What will his game plan be against another top 6 team. So how does the nervous one play this. 5 points behind City with Spurs and Chelsea coming up we could be out of the title race after 11 games. Surely he has to go for it, 2 draws will not be enough.
  2. Oct 22, 2017

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

We never played for draw at home against any team, so against Spurs we won't be playing for draw for sure.
  3. Oct 22, 2017

Varun Moderator Staff

Lot depends on our CB situation tbh. If we're forced to play Lindelöf there due to injuries, I can see him going for a defensive approach with bodies at the back. Can't even argue against that because the thought of Lindelöf vs Morata/Kane is downright funny and in a bad way.

If we have Jones/Bailly fit, we should be more positive but then I'd still expect a safety first approach away at Chelsea. That's how Mourinho operates so there's no point salivating over a match for a week only to see the same approach come match day.
  4. Oct 22, 2017

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

All out attack. We must win at least 1 of the 2 games to stay in title contention. I feel we have a better chance vs Chelsea for some reason. Spurs are very good away from Wembley but either way City will extend their lead whatever happens. Massive couple of weeks in our season. I'm praying we have some of the injured players back soon.
  5. Oct 22, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Spurs is also away?
  6. Oct 22, 2017

Varun Moderator Staff

Ah my bad, meant Chelsea there. Editing it.
  7. Oct 23, 2017

Bearded One Full Member

Glad to be back here. Been very busy with work and family. One thing that struck me was the amount of negativity from fans because of the loss. All is not lost and maybe we can use the next game to redeem ourselves. We are down to bones in midfield and defence it's not a joke anymore but I believe we can still beat Spurs.

We need to start looking at areas they can be got at or areas they aren't to strong even though these are pretty few and far between as they are a very very strong side. For one, watching Spurs this season I really do think they struggle with teams that defend in numbers and in an organized manner so we want to make sure we play deep. There's no problem in doing this if we transition very quickly and purposefully. No beating around the bush or dribbling for the sake of it when a good pass is on.

Their narrow back three can be vulnerable to wide attacks or quick switch of play and so we have to explore this area as much as we can. If we play very deep and our build up is slow, we would get absolutely nothing from this game.

I forsee a situation where as the game wears on and there are no goals yet, they begin to push even harder, leaving gaps in wide areas where Martial and Rashford can benefit. I particularly look forward to seeing Rashers leave Trippier for dead.

This is one match where we need patience --lots of it actually. We need to stifle their attack, we need to frustrate them. That's the way to go. If we try to "play football", we play into their hands and when you consider that a number of our key players are out, then you'd agree it wouldn't be so bad if we keep things tight.

I'd go:

De Gea
    Smalling Lindelof Darmian
    Valencia Herrera Matic Young
    Rashford Lukaku Martial
    Few points:
    • Attacking, our set up would have the shape of a 3-4-3 but in defending it'd resemble a 5-4-1.
    • Rashers and Martial will have to work their bollocks off to make up the numbers in defence and also to join in attack so that Lukaku isn't left all on his own.
    • Lindelof has been poor so far tbh but hopefully a back five set up will do him a world of good and his passing ability can be helpful as well.
    Let's do it!
  8. Oct 23, 2017

Irrational. Full Member

Surprisingly more optimistic about these two games than the Liverpool game. We're a totally different team at home, and Chelsea are a bit wobbly at the moment. Both winnable games in my opinion.
  9. Oct 23, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Spurs : We'll play our normal game but sure with somewhat conservative approach. Something like our home game against them last season. I'm strangely confident we'll win again, too.
    Chelsea : Park the bus and grind a draw.
  10. Oct 23, 2017

ghagua Full Member

Cower on the edge of our box for 90+ minutes, lump the ball upfield at every opportunity and hope for the best.
  11. Oct 23, 2017

PepsiCola Full Member

We'll approach both very defensively .

Ideally we'd like to come out of both with 4 points. I'd count us lucky, given current form and performances, to come out with 2.
  12. Oct 23, 2017

Sammyjunn Banned

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    Inviting pressure with someone like Lindelof seems one of the most daft things you can do, rather that we have 90% possesion so that he doesnt get tested.
  13. Oct 23, 2017

Rajma Full Member

If it is Herrera-Matic midfield two again, we're likely to lose/draw both games. Any updates on the status of the injured players (Carrick, Pogba, Fellaini), can we expect some to be back for those encounters?
  14. Oct 23, 2017

Sammyjunn Banned

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    If Pogba, Bailly arent fit,bar de Gea and Matic Spurs have a better or at least as good player in every position, it will get tough.
  15. Oct 23, 2017

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

Without Pogba or Fellaini, Mourinho's confidence on the team is damaged, we can hardly present an optimist formation in those games.
  16. Oct 23, 2017

Theonas Full Member Scout

We will look to score more pro actively against Spurs. Mourinho plays the percentage game and he knows that a draw here might leave us 7pts behind City with a trip to the Bridge coming up next. Against Liverpool, he calculated that giving up two points there would not be the end of the world as we had Huddersfield coming up. Against Chelsea, I expect a cagey game as both managers are not particularly very pro active. Both will be weary of going for it unless of a course an early goal is score which changes everything.
  17. Oct 24, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Can't see us getting anything against Spurs unless Bailly is back. I don't see any of our CBs being able to stop Harry Kane, and we don't have the midfield to play the ball forward. Matic is a good ball winner but he isn't a play maker, and Herrera seems to have morphed into a Spanish Jordan Henderson this year.

We'll knock it long to Lukaku out of frustration and he'll constantly have one of their three CBs against him in the air.
  18. Oct 24, 2017

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Should be intriguing. I think recent results mean his intention has to be to win. In the end walking out of both games with 2 points wouldn’t be too bad. Just hope he actually tries to win rather than defend for the draw.
  19. Oct 24, 2017

AXVnee7 Full Member

Our attacking players need to step up. Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Micky all need to play to a very high quality. I think we will be more open against Spurs and more conservative vs Chelsea, although our squad may be stronger by that time.
  20. Oct 24, 2017

Skills Snitch

We'll see the best of Mourinho. It'll be a total shit show.
  21. Oct 24, 2017

RedDevil-85 New Member

Think Mourinho will be very defensive,sadly.

Im not optimistic at all about these 2 matches.
    We have played poorly vs Liverpool,Benfica and Huddersfield,only a freak goalkeeping error gifted us the win against Benfica.
    Deserved loss vs Huddersfield and a cowardly display vs Liverpool have left us 5 points behind City already with Tottenham and Chelsea to come..

Hate saying it but i think our title chances are over after these 2 matches.
  22. Oct 24, 2017

frank lee madeer.. Banned

I think both these games will be decided in midfield. No point crying that we ain't got pogba, it is what is,we still need to find a way to get our midfield to compete on the day rather than just choosing to surrender the middle by bypassing it completely.
  23. Oct 24, 2017

wolvored Full Member

Park the bus against Spurs, might give Chelsea a game. We will win 1 I think and lose the other.
  24. Oct 24, 2017

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    I'm predicting one point from the 2 games. After recent results i think Mourinhos focus will be to make sure we don't lose again, which will result in a defensive draw against Spurs. Then I have a feeling we'll come unstuck against Chelsea.
  25. Oct 24, 2017

Needham Full Member

Simple maths tells him that its a top 6 now, not a top 4. Far fewer matches/points available in which to merely grind out draws, we'll get left behind. He must let the horses run free.
  26. Oct 24, 2017

Mr H Full Member

The expected return date for each of our injured players (Physioroom), it looks like we're only going to have Bailly back for that game.

[​IMG]
  27. Oct 24, 2017

flappyjay Full Member

Same lineup with Blind for either one of lindelof or Darmian
  28. Oct 24, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

I wish he had your way of thinking but it is not in his nature, I expect we will park the bus like the Liverpool game, hoping to snatch and grab a win and otherwise a point will suffice. He will be banking on the other teams dropping points during the season.
  29. Oct 24, 2017

Needham Full Member

In over a quarter of the games of a season?
  30. Oct 24, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Like feck it will. Mourinho will want to win all our home games this season. Just like he did in every other season at every other club he's ever managed.
  31. Oct 24, 2017

People have lost all their senses. Just because we played defensively away from home, they think we will play same way at home too. Even last season when team wasn't as strong we still played for win against every team at home.
  32. Oct 24, 2017

youngrell Full Member

Smalling will have Kane in his pocket again and all will be well :D
  33. Oct 24, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

We went for it against city at OT last season and got played off the park. None of the 'attack' and 'positive' brigade were praising the manager back then; they were still giving 'criticism'.
  34. Oct 24, 2017

Exactly. We played well against Spurs, Arsenal at home. Chelsea had 0 shots on target at Old trafford.
  35. Oct 24, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

Yep, I have confidence in our team at home. I would back them against any team because the manager has shown a very good record at home.

Our only loss at home under Mourinho was against Man City last season. We dominated so many teams at home and missed sitters almost every game leading to so many draws. It looks like our goalscoring problem at home has been fixed.
  36. Oct 24, 2017

Robindinho New Member

He’ll no doubt shit his pants and sit back with a line of 6.

Why not try Blind in midfield? He can sit with Matic and then play Herrera just ahead. He’s not the quickest or strongest in there but he’s a good passer and will make us more solid unlike the past few games where we’ve got overrun...

De Gea

Valencia Bailly Smalling Young

Matic Blind

Herrera

Rashford Martial
    Lukaku
  37. Oct 24, 2017

BusbyMalone Full Member

Must win all out home games regardless of the opposition. A draw here would be a bad result, especially when you consider City don't look like losing at the moment.

City have West Bromm, which you assume that they will win, therefore if we draw we will then be 7 points behind. While is my sound a little hyperbolic to say that insurmountable, it's not far off.
  38. Oct 24, 2017

LoneStar Full Member

If one of Fellaini or Pogba return, it'll be a huge boost for us. I would feel far more confident against Spurs/Chelsea with Fellaini in there. Any ETA about Fellaini's comeback?

Edit : Just saw the post above. Things not looking good.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  39. Oct 24, 2017

BusbyMalone Full Member

If you're talking about the game where they won 2-1, we didn't go at them at all. The trouble in that game was (first half particularly) is that we didn't do much of anything. They were just superb and completely swamped us. Had nothing to do with us going at them; we were just shit. Individual performances let us down big time (Lingard and Miki in particular), and we just couldn't find our feet and compose ourselves.

Second half was a different story. We found our composure and played quite well - perhaps even deserved a draw in the end.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  40. Oct 24, 2017

MonkeysMagic New Member

The key moment for all of Jose' strategy in these games is the first goal, it dictates whether he reverts to type later in the game. I don't believe its ever his intention to play for a draw from the start but the longer both teams go into the half with scores level, that makes his mind up. Had Utd taken their chance at Anfield, we would be talking about a totally different game and whilst he never goes all out attack, you cannot fault that approach...the only problem being that Utd are/and never have been prolific with chance conversion!

Just because the 'pressure is on' I don't think he will deviate from this strategy so I would be drilling the team to make sure they take their first chance!