Mourinho, Woodward and their top signings

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Red4Life_#7, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jan 23, 2018

Red4Life_#7 Full Member

Sir Alex Ferguson retires and the ship's steering wheel spins out of control. Moyes entered deep waters and realised the ship was just too big and powerful for him to control... Enter LVG, regimented, strict, gave us direction but no destination and the crew members didn't back his methods.

Jose Mourinho... our respected foe with a thick accent and wise words...

Time to bring this thread to meaning.

JM said it would be easier to sack everyone and then bring in 22 new players. Well he hasn't done that, but his signings have been surgical brilliance!!!

Eric Bailly
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Walked the plank)
    Paul Pogba

Victor Lindelof
    Romelu Lukaku
    Nemanja Matic

Alexis Sanchez

The talk of us not being able to attract players any more is utter BS. We bullied Real Madrid to sign Pogba, stole Lukaku from Chelsea and took Sanchez from the claws of Man City.

We have become a juggernaut of a club, topping the money charts... earning nearly 200m more in revenue than last season's Premiership Champions Chelsea.

But lets talk about how Mourinho has built such a great team in 2 seasons and not for the first time. Is it luck?? Great contacts or workaholic behaviour?? How is he and Woody able to sign 2 of the top 3 EPL scorers of last season??

What the club is doing is unbelievable...
  2. Jan 23, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

We don't need the ungettable Galacticos. We need to target the players in the tier of Matic, Sanchez, Bailly, etc who are not super-amazing like Neymar, etc but are still world-class or close to that and happy to move to our club. Jose's being very smart and pragmatic. No more chasing after Neymar, Bale and others like them.

Pogba is an exception to the rule. He was definitely a Galactico signing but he chose us due to his links with the club.
  3. Jan 23, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

So you're saying Sanchez isn't a "Galactico" either? He's one of the top 5 players in the league and top 10 in the world, I'd love to know what construes Galactico these days! Sanchez isn't Neymar but he's about as close as you can get without paying 200m.
  4. Jan 23, 2018

Stormsurfer21 Full Member

Exactly. Massive signing!
  5. Jan 23, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

The effectiveness of getting the targets is pretty great. 7/8 targets attained in the two summer windows and then signing Sanchez.

In Guardiola's time at City they've missed out on Mbappe, Laporte, Alves, van Dijk (twice) and Sanchez as well as overpaying for Walker and Mendy yet there seems to be no criticism there and the ire from the media is being directed towards us.
  6. Jan 23, 2018

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Definitely agree, and Sanchez is 100% what we need. I wouldn't swap him for Neymar, not saying Sanchez is the better player but he is precisely what we need.
  7. Jan 23, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

On top of the media love in for Pep, I think, in fairness, their current form this season makes it very difficult to criticise them. Or even their transfer dealings.
  8. Jan 23, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Yeah, I guess different definitions for "Galactico". I'd class a Galactico as a Ballon d'Or potential who needs to be bought for huge cash. Sanchez while a great player is definitely not competing for Ballon d'Or, and though we obviously pay him high wages, its' not like we paid 150 mil to get him. Of course, that is due to his contract situation, I concede that.
  9. Jan 23, 2018

NotQuiteManc Full Member

Supports:
    Higher Income Tax For The Rich
    During the time of multi million signings, Mbappe, Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele as few of the most expensive signings out there, getting the likes of Sanchez for basically no transfer money is amazing! They say swap deals dont happen eh? :p
  10. Jan 23, 2018

sp_107 New Member

Out of 8, we can take Zlatan and Miki out of equation means we made 6 serious signings for now and future ..In those 6 signings 4 (pogba/Eric/Lindelof/Lukaku) are at good age and Only time will tell how many good years we can get from Alexis and Matic.....

But I am happy that club is not sitting back when a good player comes available unlike in the past where we didn't go after in full throttle for payers like Hazard..Modric ..Kroos..Benzema, Bale (either it could be down to extra agent fees or players willingness) ...

It is changing under Woody as players like Dimaria, Pogba(from joining Zidane)and Alexis were keen on joining other clubs initially but we changed that scenario by using our name/money and made a statement !!!

Only thing we need now is 3 or 4 other good signings (50M cap) with age on their side and build the winning team for next 5/6 years !!
  11. Jan 23, 2018

I'd say Galacito is the total opposite of potential. It's a ready made superstar that you need to spend big money on. Just look at Real's last Galactico's - Ronaldo, Benzema, Kaka. Two of them already won the Ballon D'or and the other was never likely to. Sanchez absolutely fits the Galactico bill, just because we got him relatively cheap because of his contract situation doesn't make it less so. A Sanchez with 2/3 years on his contract would have easily cost £100m+.

Anyway, who cares, we just took one of the world's best attackers off our rivals and gave them a defunct outcast as payment. It's fecking amazing!
  12. Jan 23, 2018

D. Mungai New Member

Let nobody cheat you Mourinho, is by far the greatest manager when it comes to signing of players. Mourinho has a magnet pull when it comes to signings. It may not be instant joy for him but Mourinho through history he signs better players, who turn out to be best players and he usually builds a monster of a team. Just support him through transfer and Mourinho will deliver. People will say who he sold but his 1 or 2 mistakes of selling is not that huge.
    Mourinho signed
    Drogba, Cech, Ashely Cole, Essien, Carvalho, Robben,
    Milito, Etoo, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio,
    Di maria, Modric, Ozil, Khedira, Varane,
    Costa, Pedro, Matic, Fabregas, Willian,
    Pogba, Ibra, Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic again,

Give Mourinho time he is the only man to tackle City. I am 100% sure he will deliver. Probably he will bring 1 more Central Midfield player and we are set now.
  13. Jan 23, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

No we should not stop trying to sign the world's best. Why would we do that? The signing of Pogba isn't the exception to the rule, it proves too tier players are attainable for us.
  14. Jan 23, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Neymar is a Galactico and he is "potential" for Ballon d'Or. I didn't mean "potential" in the sense of improving player, but one who hasn't yet won the Ballon d'Or but is always linked with it.

I didn't say we should stop. Of course we should sign whoever wants to come to us, like Pogba for instance. But the days of fruitlessly chasing after players who lead us a fine dance are finally ended, that's what I meant.
  15. Jan 23, 2018

Mr Pigeon baldy fatty bum bum

Staging a 'coo' against my enemies in Fife
    Thanks for putting this in, it really puts into perspective the turn around that we've had at the club - even during the last years with Sir Alex where we saw teams like Chelsea and City gobbling up the big names. We really are taking no prisoners and the progress is there for everyone to see. I genuinely feel that a couple of games that we've had this season where we've suffered have been because of our cautiousness rather than the players, because I have total confidence that the squad we have is now a very strong one.

Mourinho's signings for the most part have fitted the style of game that he wants us to play, and rightly or wrongly you have a strong idea of what his vision for the club is. Under Moyes and LVG we didn't really have that. Whether or not you agree with his defensive tactics, at least we have a cohesive squad. We're no longer wandering around the woods blind
  16. Jan 23, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Jose is very good in transfer market. He knows what players are needed and have few more choices so it makes easier for Woodward and others to sign the players.

Apart from that Jose must have very good communication and persuasive skills.
  17. Jan 23, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Sir Alex doesn't get a pass here as well so lets not pretend our problems started with Moyes like we like to.
    Bebe, Obertan, Kagawa, Diouf while Chelsea was buying Hazard, Matic and City was buying David, Silva, Yaya, Aguero

Jose has always been amazingly decisive in the transfer market. This is a guy who already earmarked Zlatan, Bailly before he even took over the club.
  18. Jan 23, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Eric Bailly - World class potential
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Great one season, all things considered.
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Didn't work out. Got Sanchez out of him for £0 though.
    Paul Pogba - World Class

Victor Lindelof - Good potential, needs more time to judge.
    Romelu Lukaku - Good signing, not great given the price tag. Time will tell.
    Nemanja Matic - Arguably our most important player (minus the last 3 matches).

Alexis Sanchez - World Class.

That's a very good record for them two men.
  19. Jan 23, 2018

Antonedwin Banned

The State of this thread.. it's just matter of time before one-two bad results , sanchez underperformance before you guys sing in different tune.

I am not like that. no matter what happen , jose have to be given time. guy is proven winner , replacing him isn't gonna make anything better.
  20. Jan 23, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

Pogba was definitely a "Galactico" signing as well.

We're challenging for the best players, yet without being close to be the best club in the world on the pitch. Jose also has a massive stake in it, Moyes or LvG are nowhere near close to have the same pull.
  21. Jan 23, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    I could reel off 10 players in the world better than Sanchez. Let's not all get carried away
  22. Jan 23, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    I think transfer-wise Jose has been fantastic. All of his signings have been good or very good and he manged to swap his only flop for Sanchez.
  23. Jan 23, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Benzema wasn't a galactico, it was a young player with potential.
  24. Jan 23, 2018

Well according to him, that's a Galactico :)
  25. Jan 23, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Jose and Woody have done a brilliant job. Making 8 signings and not one of them being a total flop is not easy at all. One more window and I think we'll have a squad to compete with the very best. I'm talking about the likes of Barca, PSG and Real.
  26. Jan 23, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

All we need now is the other one of the top 3 scorers and we’re flying.
    Some chance
  27. Jan 23, 2018

Go.
  28. Jan 23, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Time will tell whether we'll be stung long term by these big money signings (I genuinely have no idea if we could) but what's refreshing to see after years of Fergie, Moyes and LVG penny pinching signings that Jose and Ed are settling for nothing but the best with the intent on making us a super power that we've arguably never truly been

Obviously SAF got more right than wrong in the transfer market and the likes of Vidic and Evra will be looked at among the best signings the club ever made but no longer will will miss out on the likes of Robben, Ronaldinho and Hazard because of this sense of superiority (ironically a stance Chelsea and City are now adopting so obviously something that happens in cycles)
  29. Jan 23, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

You are right about the ready made part but that's why Benzema wasn't a galactico and why he is wrong in his definition of galactico.
  30. Jan 23, 2018

Ikon Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Its been amazing to have landed Pogba, Lukaku & Sanchez against the odds, but equally impressive is that we sold Depay & Schneiderlin for almost £50M and we have effectively just got £35M for Mkhi....!!
  31. Jan 23, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    De Bruyne
    Pogba
    Aguero
    Hazard
    Messi
    Neymar
    Lewandowski
    Modric
    Suarez
    Griezmann
  32. Jan 23, 2018

Ananke Full Member

I think the point is, that when a world class signing (I believe him to be) became available, we did the business. There's lots of players you could consider better than or on par with Sanchez. Premier League proven? Actually wanting to leave their clubs? Not many.

It's a huge deal...
  33. Jan 23, 2018

AshRK Full Member

Jose is the key here. In his career he always is known for hijacking deals and securing top players, thus leaving the club with a strong squad. I hope now he starts clearing more deadwoods like Darmian and buy more quality the coming summer.
  34. Jan 23, 2018

RC89 Full Member

How much did we get for Delay and Schneiderlin each? Also, anyone remember what we paid for both?
  35. Jan 23, 2018

Fair enough. One or two are debatable and a few can’t really be compared due to their position but anyway. He’s still world class whatever way you want to spin it.
  36. Jan 23, 2018

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    I just hope Sanchez can reach last seasons level of form again ASAP and keep it up until as close to the end of his contract as possible. We don’t want another repeat of us having the highest paid player in the league stinking out the place for the last 2 years of his final mega payday, while more astute clubs sign up the best young players that we eventually wish we’d signed instead when they fulfil their potential and have 6/7 seasons of their physical peak ahead of them on 1/4 of the wages as a Sanchez. I’m excited by this transfer but I’m still not sure what our plan is long term. Shouldn’t we have been after him when he was leaving Barca if we are prepared to pay him this much now? That would have been a really top signing and we would have been a much better team over the last few seasons for having him here.
  37. Jan 23, 2018

andycolegangstainnit Full Member

Sanchez was ranked #9 in The Guardian world footballers in 2016 but slipped to #32 last year (probably due to lack of interest this season with Arsenal). That's obviously not the be-all-and-end-all but he clearly is a world class player at his peak. For me Messi is definitely above him and you can argue Neymar, Ronaldo, Hazard, Kane are as well. However, after those I think he is in a group with Lewandowski, Suarez, Mbappe, KDB, Pogba, Coutinho, Kroos, Modric, Isco, dybala and Griezmann. Top 16. Not a bad swap for the disappointing Mickyt.
  38. Jan 23, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

Imagine, for a moment, that he is wearing a blue shirt instead of red. Would you have felt the same way?

Firstly, the money is not ours so it doesn't really matter so let's not go there. As for Sanchez's form, this is as close to a sure shot big signing success as you can hope for really as he has played in the PL for a long time, is self-motivated, works hard on the pitch and gives it his all, is hungry for trophies.
  39. Jan 23, 2018

D4X73r Full Member

Hey guys, don't forget that Mkhi was a very important plaxer to us. How else could we get Sanchez? So Mkhi player of the month for me
  40. Jan 23, 2018

Hugh Jass Full Member

This.