Mourinho's demeanour - Misery or masterstroke?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jamie Shawcross, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018

Jamie Shawcross Full Member

Like most United fans this summer, I have been largely disappointed and demoralised by the attitude and comments of Jose. Playing down our chances, criticising players, and calling the board out for not getting his players etc...this could be taken at face value and the guys just a big miserable whinging diva, or just maybe its a bit of a masterstroke to take the pressure off the team going into this season. Here's my thinking behind this...

Last season, we finished 2nd. We were way off City but were well ahead of the rest. We threw away points against opposition we should have beaten. Up until this point, we have only strengthened the squad, not weakened it in any way. No big players have departed...yet. Even with just the signings we have made so far, the squad is improved and we still have 24 hours to go (I am convinced we will strengthen further)

Now, on the back of Mourinho's comments and interviews, the mood has been low and that seems to have fed into the so called 'experts' and pundits predictions for the season. Take a look at the pundits top 6 predictions on SSN: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...day-pundits-pick-their-premier-league-top-six

We have been written off completely by all of them, not even making top 4 in most of their predicitions. Where is the logic in this considering our finishing position last season and our improvements? One of them says "Liverpool are the second best now" before a flaming ball has been kicked. Spurs haven't signed a single player yet, yet they are above is in almost all of the predictions for the end of the season!!

I have a inkling (maybe wishful thinking) that this (the doom and gloom interviews etc) has been a conscious effort on Mourniho's part to remove all expectations and pressure from the squad whilst heaping it onto himself (he has a track record of this). It seems his behaviour this summer has already had a huge effect on how people predict our season is going to go, despite the fact we have improved/will probably improve more before the window slams shut!

If we start the season already written off, perhaps the players will be motivated to prove everyone wrong? Perhaps the lack of respect we might get from our opponents might play right into our hands? We are not a bad team.

Thoughts?
  2. Aug 8, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

What a genius.
  3. Aug 8, 2018

arthurka Full Member

This
  4. Aug 8, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

Absolute misery. It just put a lot of negative attention and pressure on our club for no reason at all. I wish Ed would give as good as he takes and call him out on the disappointments of last year despite massive spending.

Also, now he's showed his hand to all the selling clubs, all our quoted prices just doubled. Fecking thick sod.
  5. Aug 8, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

Inb4 “Not another Mourinho thread!!!”
  6. Aug 8, 2018

Yeah man I get what you are saying. Last season was a disappointment, but I can't help but think Mourinho never does anything without a reason. For all we say about him, you can't deny his intelligence. I haven't decided yet myself, still feel engulfed by the doom cloud but just MAYBE theres some method to his madness. A gamble perhaps. He is voluntarily putting his own head in the guillotine before the season has even begun
  7. Aug 8, 2018

simplyared Full Member

Wouldn't it be better if he just kept his mouth shut for once so we could avoid threads like this one.
  8. Aug 8, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

@Jamie Shawcross

This theory is either a stroke of genius on your part or pure insanity. Either option is equally plausible.

It's an interesting theory nonetheless.
  9. Aug 8, 2018

Suedesi Full Member

Neither
  10. Aug 8, 2018

It probably would. But he didn't keep his mouth shut. PS, you can avoid any thread by just not clicking on it :)
  11. Aug 8, 2018

Rouge McDuck New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well, I guess it depends on how well the team does. If you win, it will be twisted. If you suck, it's hardly going to be painted as a masterstroke.
  12. Aug 8, 2018

Ha ha I completely accept I could be clutching at straws here mate. I just want to feel good about this coming season. Maybe I am over analysing or seeing something that isn't there, but those predictions tell me that people are overreacting to the negative press. Could be what he wants.
  13. Aug 8, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

I have no idea how telling the whole world he's desperate is meant to be clever and help Ed seal any transfer deals. If anything, he's virtually made Ed's job impossible.
  14. Aug 8, 2018

Nico87 Full Member

I think the reason it to pre-emptively absolve himself of responsibility for what he assumes is going to be a below par season. The irony of it all is the thing was all want most off all, first and foremost at least, is to start enjoying watching Utd again. Since Sir Alex left we haven't had a manager who has prioritised attacking, exciting football and the accumulation of the dire style we had to watch for the past 5 years has got too much for fans and Morinho has started to feel the pressure and once to deflect the blame.
  15. Aug 8, 2018

Fair point. I have no doubts the board wouldn't be on board with his behaviour, but we don't know whats going on behind closed doors. We don't know what deals are close, in progress etc...we will find out soon enough. Fact is, we are already underdogs now as a result of it all. I am not necessarily suggesting it has anything to do with transfers either, more so how we go into the season and what teams/people expect of us.
  16. Aug 8, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

It's a nice theory, but for me, looking at the past two years, and his career as a whole, I don't think this will especially motivate the squad.

It's been rehashed to death, but we don't play happy. There are too many rumours of discontent. I'm gutted to be frank, I thought he would be fantastic for us.
  17. Aug 8, 2018

simplyared Full Member

Sorry didn't mean to show any disrespect. However as you've already implied in answering another poster, you are clutching at straws.
  18. Aug 8, 2018

I think perhaps the players he wants rid of are the very ones who aren't motivated by his methods. There has been positives out of the camp too dont forget. At the minute I doubt he will see out the season but I pray he proves me wrong and this does end up being some masterstroke people look back on. Maybe I am insane
  19. Aug 8, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

[​IMG]

Doubt it.
  20. Aug 8, 2018

No apology necessary mate. I am torn. One part of my brain is going "grrrr I want that grumpy sod out now" and the other half is going "yeah but what if this is a genius plan, the season is around the corner, find a straw to clutch"
  21. Aug 8, 2018

Jazz Full Member

It's not misery or a masterstroke - it's self destruction and making sure he's in prime position to get a big payoff. Take his last season at Chelsea, fought for a contract extension and then proceeded to ruin things for himself and the club. His actions just aren't logical, except that he leaves with lots of money. I can't believe he's only in management for the money, so hence I attribute his actions to him being self destructive.

He may get motivated by his antics, but others are seriously put off. How can players be motivated to fight when he's constantly intimating publicly that they are no good? The worst thing is that he doesn't learn his lesson.

Here he's at a great club, where he more or less has a lot of power, but instead of adapting, he resorts to his old ways, especially in light of what transpired in his last season at Chelsea. Can't get my head around it actually.
  22. Aug 8, 2018

Fair points. If it is self destruct, hes doing a good job of it. Just seems so blatant I am thinking, surely not?? One of my biggest hang ups with him is the fact he still lives out of a hotel. Hows that for commitment to the cause?
  23. Aug 8, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    I'm hoping Sanchez and Fred will be like new signings and improve us somewhat.
  24. Aug 8, 2018

Jazz Full Member

To be honest, I did read that years ago when he was managing Porto? (not sure which club it was in Portugal), his wife stayed with the kids back in their hometown. So therefore, it seems they have some practice with being apart. I don't really think that's an issue and he can get up to London in 2 hours on the train - not a big deal I think. Plus it's like living in a rented apartment.

Not to say I think he's committed, but I don't think his living arrangements are that bad, especially if his wife doesn't seem to mind, otherwise she would have moved to Manchester.

He's a restless soul though, so not surprised he hasn't settled down in Manchester.

He's done these antics over and over again, so yes, I would have to say he's got a self destructive streak in him. Otherwise I cannot explain this blatant sabotaging of himself and his reputation.
  25. Aug 8, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Well Fred kind of is...
  26. Aug 8, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

He's given lots of reasons as to why living in a hotel works for him and I've stopped moaning about it (I think it shows a complete lack of commitment, but each to his own). However, would we ever sign a player that did the same?
  27. Aug 8, 2018

Just maybe, its to ensure all the heat is on him, and not the squad going into the season. May be a strange way of working and a gamble that could backfire, but theres literally little to no negative press about any of our players or the squad in general. All eyes and attention is on Jose
  28. Aug 8, 2018

It just screams 'temporary arrangement' to me. With the money he has got, buy a bloody mansion in Alderley edge for gods sake. If you end up being fired, sell it. Just puts the wrong message across if you ask me. "My dream job, but im gonna live in a hotel so I can dart off at any second".
  29. Aug 8, 2018

Jazz Full Member

That's true. We wouldn't like it for sure.
  30. Aug 8, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

Well, yeah. That's what I was saying too. It's complete bullshit but hey ho.
  31. Aug 8, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

absolute genius

it was a masterstroke to take the wind out of Pogbas sails with that interview after the World Cup. Some managers would have been pleased for him and praised him trying to rebuilt a troubled relationship but not our Jose.... the fact Raiola is trying to hawk Pogba to Barca/Juve is totally unrelated of course....

similarly the superb way he dealt with an alrwady unsettled Martial was incredible. Martials girlfriend wasn't great healthier? never worry petal, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - we've a match Anthony needs to play that I will later describe as pointless. By approaching a sensitive time in the players like the way he did prompting a response that family came first showed Jose's softer side and how he cared about his players.

and those young players. why let them have unrealistic dreams of playing for Manchester United... dash them and get those young guys feet back on the ground- superb from Mr Motivator.....

the fans who paid over 100 dollars to watch us... not only will he offer football genius he will provide financial advice - don't waste your money going to watch our poor excuse for a team!

the way he's galvanised the squad with his pep talks and comments was really evident in that game against Bayern with Fred's well off target shot the fruit of our labours...

I'm just a little disappointed he hasn't described Chivas Whiskey as Dog Pish yet.... nothing like some genius feedback from Jose to get the Whiskeymakers improving their batch
  32. Aug 8, 2018

Jojo <3 Mou Full Member

@Jamie Shawcross

I don't think he's being miserable to create a narrative, I think he wanted some signings. I think that he doesn't mind people writing him off as its added motivation to him and the squad to prove them wrong. I think it's good for our youngish/inexperienced and inconsistent team to be without pressure of winning the League. The pressure of being at United will always be there but at the moment, we are definitely seen as underdogs.

I believe, and will keep believing until it becomes mathematically impossible, that we can win it.

We have a good squad, we just needed a bit more to make it a great one. I've said before, that if we are able to improve from last year then we'll be competing for the title. The end of season is highlighted in a lot of memories, but for a few matches, we were very good. I'll take 10 bad/so-so matches in a 60 game season.

Now, just to start well and hold off all the drama til end of season.

:keano:

Edited
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  33. Aug 8, 2018

sugar_kane Full Member

It's a fairly bizarre situation but he's so wealthy that he could afford to have a house on the market for months and it barely make a dent in his finances so I don't think it's about freedom.

I think the hotel living thing might mainly be down to having people around in the absence of his family, so he's not just kicking round a massive house in the middle of the countryside on his own. I get that.

It'd just be nice to hear him say something even vaguely positive about the city he works in now and then.
  34. Aug 8, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

I just think the guy is unhappy

he's been prickly since the October of his first season and the only time I actually think he showed genuine happiness was when he embraced his son after winning the Europa League. That was a lovely moment.

I think the Mourinho we see is different to the Mourinho the players see to some degree but all the indicators are that he is someone who doesn't take a lot of joy out of what was supposed to be his dream job

Nothing would please me more than to see him really showing hunger and praising the players thus year. Let the handbrake off and let them enjoy their football.
  35. Aug 8, 2018

Zarir Chaudhuri New Member

Jose is a calculated man. I’m hoping his comments are purely to deflect attention away from the team. No one thinks we will be up there next season. I think that will suit us.
  36. Aug 8, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Sven and Wazza would make the lad much happier. Us too.

Do it!
  37. Aug 8, 2018

Owngoalscorer Full Member

People so desperate and deluded that they see being a miserable cnut as a psychological master-stroke...
  38. Aug 8, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

100% he's positive in the dressing room and telling the players they can challenge this season - surely no one thinks he's sulking around all day every day.

His media persona is always controversial and he wants everyone to hate him, to deflect attention onto him to 'light a fire' under some players who could be better. Maybe he goes to far but his point about spending makes sense. Pep had 1 season with arguably the best squad, won nada, and then spent a small country's GDP to win the PL and league cup. Liverpool are doing the same this season in a bid to close the gap. It's the only way.
  39. Aug 8, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Only how the season unfolds will determine the narrative.
  40. Aug 8, 2018

Bird Nerd New Member

I just think he is making it publicly known that he is unhappy with the transfer strategy the board has taken since he has been on board. He hands the list in months ahead of time and we are less than 24 hours away (or days/weeks away when he started this bemoaning of lack of transfers) and sees little activity in bringing in new talent. He is making sure the blame is not upon himself. And can you blame him when ultimately he has little control over who is brought in? It is all on Woodward. He is the one not performing and has been less than mediocre in the transfers.