Mourinho's Post Match comments and the questions they raise

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by King7Eric, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:17.

1. Apr 16, 2018 at 12:51

Greck Full Member

Don't understand his quotes. Didn't he say a few weeks back that he was encouraging fluid exchanges? The flicks may have annoyed but they aren't why we lost
  2. Apr 16, 2018 at 12:53

ROFLUTION Full Member

Lukaku frustrated me so much yesterday. Several times there were good opportunities to pass to him, if he just quickly ran back onside to receive the ball. Instead he was walking back to be onside again, while the chance of passing him was wasted.

Chicharito would have been a workhorse with this.
  3. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:03

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I think this is what can be made of his comments.

He should at times take it upon himself. Continually blaming players.....well, it'll end up exactly like Chelsea then watch the next manager turn us into a watchable attacking unit
  4. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:12

Georgie_Best New Member

Sometimes it does look like they dont train any runs/attacking plays. No automatisms among the players at all, which should be an absolute must at this level
  5. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:30

Stu1975 New Member

It was classic Jose swerve comments but some of it was truthful.
    We did think winning last week was like getting a trophy,the players also turned up yesterday with the wrong mindset.

He never set them all out to perform at 5/10,the players also have to take responsibility for some of the poor performances this season.
  6. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:41

Jeppers7 New Member

To be honest the problems yesterday were selection and movement. Picking three Cms might be fine but to compound the issue he picked Mata and Sanchez. Two players who come to halfway and pick the ball up off the toes of midfield. Are they not clever enough to think if they leave the ball for Pogba and Matic and make moves higher up the pitch we might be left able to outnumber an area of the pitch. It left Pogba in particular looking for free space he could run into further forward but with ten WBA players facing him up. We had multiple players making the same runs and multiple times no option to pass to. I think this lead to players taking extra touches as the movement was off and the centre of the pitch congested.

Sanchez needs to park himself higher up the pitch and if you're playing Sanchez don't play Mata. Play Rashford who can stretch teams and make the pitch bigger. Play Sanchez on the right ffs. He solves literally nothing on the left for us. We'd have been better off not signing him if it was for the left as seemingly we can't now buy an option for the right.

Jose needs to take the blame for selection and really poor coaching. None of our players know what to do to create space for themselves and others.
  7. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:44

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Players can't just forget how to play to secure a goal in 7 days. The players he put out there were capable of doing something even without a coach. You don't need a manager to come and ask you to try something different.

Then again, if the players were too complacent after the derby win, then Jose takes a major blame.

Edit: I have stopped taking any of Jose's comments after a match seriously. He talks loads of crap.
  8. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:45

King7Eric Full Member

He was absolutely gash when he was moved to the right yesterday though. People had a go at me when I had said this in another thread but the signing of Sanchez is an example of the kind of thinking that's been plaguing our club for some time. We buy a player and then try to figure out what to do with him and completely disrupt the team as a result.
  9. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:48

JK-27 New Member

The question I have following Mourinho's comment is why are they playing complicated football if you've told them not to do that? Why have they gone against your instructions and why are they not listening to your instructions during the game?If you've told them to play a certain way and they don't, somethings not right.

This not the first time you've said the players haven't played the game you've asked. And not the first time they haven't really attacked until being at least a goal behind. Why is that? It seems there's a motivational issue at present.
  10. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:49

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

It was buying the player so City didn't get him, but it has been proved that they actually didn't need him anyway. As you say we also bought him with no clear plan of what we were going to do with him, but it made us look significant for a while.
  11. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:52

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    A thing Mou and Vangle have in common. Listing their past achievements after a bad result. Good for you that you've won a lot of titles. Today your team didn't manage to score at home against West Brom. You can blame the players for over complicating things, but in all fairness, you are their coach, it's your job to make 'em play the way you want to. If after two years they still don't, perhaps something's wrong?
  12. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:52

Maybe he is covering his back, saying what he thinks we want to hear to take the blame off himself and onto the players, who apparently are not carrying out his orders. It could also be that he sends them out there with no clear plan on attacking.
  13. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:54

CassiusClaymore Is it Gaizka Mendieta? Scout

Mata and Sanchez are far too similar. One or the other for me and on that form preferably neither. Lost count of the number of times they gave it away yesterday in the final third.

As far as his comments he needs to man up and start taking some of the blame. Either he's not setting them up and coaching them properly or they're not doing what he wants them to do in which case he needs to ask himself why.
  14. Apr 16, 2018 at 13:55

GazTheLegend Full Member

He’s right. We were shocking yesterday. Every player dwelled on the ball - think one of our attacks, there were 4 passes total and every single player took about 4-5 touches on the ball before -going sideways- with it.

We need to speed up our game.
  15. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:00

Greck Full Member

Some things went pear-shaped when we brought him to play left. The left had been crucial to our build up all season and then we effectively scrap it midseason with a player who hasn't been fully bed in with a preseason.
  16. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:24

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Couldn't agree more...He's not happy with the options at his disposal in midfield,and he's also not happy with the ball playing qualities of his Centre backs.So he will definitely sign 2 central midfielders,plus 2 defenders in the summer(1 ball playing CB and a top class left back)....Once we make these 3-4 signings,we"ll improve substantially next season....
  17. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:25

He better sort out that right side of the pitch, with Valencia and Mata it is pitiful.
  18. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:30

Marcky411 Full Member

Firstly I am so tired of him blaming the players/team for every poor results.
    He is the manager, he is the one that prepares the team for the upcoming match, he is the one that decides the team selection, he is the one that sets out the game plan/tactics and he is the one that decides who needs to be subbed.

He has had this team for two years, yes two years and still they are not playing the way he wants, well whose fault is that or should I say whose failure is that, the manager's of cause.
    I enjoyed his I rant, I this and I that, Jose you are only as good as your last result and the first signs of a has been is when they have to turn to their past accomplishments.
    Last year when City and Pep won nothing, not once did we hear Pep moaning about his players or referring to his past accomplishments at Barcelona or Bayern. Wenger doesn't tell the world about his past accomplishments, nor has Klopp mentioned his accomplishments at Dortmund but Jose just loves to remind the world he is the Special One, well the special has left him a long time ago, all that is left is the One, One what, who knows.
  19. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:33

JK-27 New Member

He's already bought Bailly and Lindelof, so why has he bought them if he doesn't think they can play from the back? Plus we have Blind who can definitely play from the back, yet he's not played any games at all. Vying for CB position is Bailly, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Blind. So who's going to accomodate a new CB? Rojo and Blind can also play LB (although I'm still firmly of the belief Shaw is and will be a top LB).

We'll likely play 3 in midfield, so why the need to buy 2 CMs? We've got Matic, Pogba, so one more needed. But at the same time Herrera, Lingard, Mata, McTominay can all play there too, so if we get 2 or even 1 in, who's leaving?
  20. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:36

Marcky411 Full Member

I presume that this has to do with the fact he doesn't train/prepare the GK for games. That gets done by the GK coach, speaks volumes doesn't it.
  21. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:39

James Peril Full Member

That’s one of the worst parts of his game. He goes on a run and then he’s done - the work he does after his first run is atrocious. Hands up, poor body language, easy to mark, pointing and waiving, very frustrating indeed
  22. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:42

Yes it does and didn't he bring in his own coach?
  23. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:44

Isotope Full Member

Agreed. I'm not sure of how he didn't know what HIS players would do in games. Why did he seem to 'surprise' that some of his players would do 'fancy flicks' in games? Didn't he train them? Didn't he give instructions before the game? Were ALL the players not doing of what had been simulated in training? Feck knows.

If he's been delegating these training to HIS staff, then he should get a much better staff.
  24. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:44

Valencia will probably be 1st choice for another season,because Mourinho has more important and pressing issues to sort out this summer.But I think we won't see too much of Mata on the right,I think we"ll probably see a lot of Jesse Lingard on the RW....
  25. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:51

Lindelof was supposed to be his ball playing CB,but he hasn't adapted to English football...Blind is a good passer but he's shocking when put under pressure,he looked decent for a while at CB when LVG was in charge because of the tactics employed by LVG.But he's definitely not good enough to play CB,so I think he needs to be sold in the summer along with Smalling.Bailly,Jones,Rojo,Lindelof and a new CB should be our central defenders going into next season....

Mata and Lingard can't really play in a proper 4-3-3....They can play as a playmaker in a 4-2-3-1,so the 2 of them can hardly be considered as Central midfielders.Fellaini and Carrick will quit this summer,so we"ll be left with just 4 midfielders....We definitely need another box to box 8,and we also need a top class deep lying midfielder who can compete with Matic.Herrera and Mctominay are good squad players,but they can't really compete with Matic....We need 6 central midfielders next season...
  26. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:54

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Biggest question is for jose. If he does not want tiki taka why is he playing with playmakers on both flanks plus 3 midfielders from which, two are playing like playmakers with lots of touches.
    I hope that he will learn finally that one from rashford and martial must play. In 433 formation we don't need mata like we need him in 4231
  27. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:57

Marcky411 Full Member

True, yes he did, maybe he should bring a coach for his duties and watch from a distance.
  28. Apr 16, 2018 at 14:59

King Kana New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Or maybe the comments need to be said so the players wake the fook up or be shipped out as that sort of attitude won’t be allowed? Klopp has made those kinds of comments before, which is the reason why one Mr. Sturridge was in WBA colors last night.

United lost and will lose again. It’s football. Panties well bunched up all over the shop at United.
  29. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:09

Ekeke Full Member

It wasnt just Pogba playing flicks and touches. Mata did too. But he also put Lukaku in with one of his quick touches, the chance wasnt taken. In fact he ended up with 4 key passes and Sanchez with 3.

This complaint is a little simplistic. We had chances to do better with our shots. But only 4 of our 14 efforts were on target

Pogba missed the target 3 times and hit it only once. This was more of an issue
  30. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:11

King7Eric Full Member

Do you have any evidence to back up these claims? Because present evidence suggests Lingard plays through the center, even if his starting position is listed as RW he hardly plays as a winger. To think our attack from the Right side will improve by playing the same players on the wing and just by adding CMs is optimistic in the extreme.
  31. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:13

King7Eric Full Member

As I said in the OP if we want to play through sides with quick one touch passing then Lukaku isn't the guy to lead the line as his first touch isn't good enough, a prime example being when Pogba released him yesterday through the center but he messed up the touch allowing the opposing CB to take the ball off him. If we are gonna play Lukaku we have to play to his strengths.
  32. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:17

Zlatattack Full Member

Yesterday I was in the player blaming camp, today I've been convinced it's the manager at fault too.

I honestly think it's likely to be 50:50.
  33. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:31

Offsideagain Full Member

If he knew that the players weren’t focused, then it’s his bloody job to make them focused. I was happy when we signed Pogba, but he only delivers 20% of the time. Rest of the time he’s pratting about. None of the players,apart from Lingard took any responsibility to attack. It was all so slow and predictable. Rodriquez was the best player on the pitch, worked his socks off. Yet another assist from a United player for an opposition goal too plus Ben Forster displayed ability never sen at OT when he was there.

A crap day for all.
  34. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:40

DeGea Full Member

OK maybe not emulating Pogba, but subconsciously they have become lackadaisical; which is what essentially Pogba is 90% of the time.
  35. Apr 16, 2018 at 15:48

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

That says everything though.

Our players are fecking wank and it's the reason why we've been under performing ever since Sir Alex retired. The players know that the managers will get the flack for it and it's not going to affect their pay. You can blame the manager all you want, but when it's been 3 consecutive managers that have had the same issue in getting the players up for games against the smaller clubs, the problem clearly lies in the squad instead of the manager.

Roy Keane in his prime would literally transform this team into a championship winning team because he's not going to tolerate any half ass effort from the squad unlike our current captains.

This team is one of the most talented team we've ever had, but they're sorely lacking in terms of the mentality that we truly need in a Manchester United team.
  36. Apr 16, 2018 at 16:25

Tonjo Full Member

One of the main problem United's players had was that they cannot make decent/accurate crosses into the box. This has made Lukaku deprived of scoring chances.
    Yesterday, all the players that made crosses were "out-crossed" by James Mclean. But United doesn't have natural wingers who can cross the ball and rely heavily on Young, Valencia and who ever plays on the flanks.
    Also, the forwards are not making enough runs into spaces when ever the mid-fielders are on the ball.
    United needed someone who can cross the ball acurately. Be it a wing-back or a forward. They need to put in extra training on crossing the ball.
  37. Apr 16, 2018 at 16:31

I agree about the extra training. How many players do that now. They are always off doing other stuff. I keep seeing Valencia on his treadmill and him showing us what a fabulous body he has on Twitter and Facebook. Why not spend some of that time behind at Carrington practicing how to cross. When you think of all the time the likes of Beckham and Ronaldo put in, todays footballers are a bit lazy.
  38. Apr 16, 2018 at 16:48

SS Full Member

Weird that he's complaining about not playing direct football when he picked two wingers that won't even take on their man.When everyone drifts into the midfield, it's obviously going to get complicated.
  39. Apr 16, 2018 at 16:54

ti vu Full Member

I complained about both Young and Valencia post match, but I found this post weird in a sense as if we have better options as fullbacks to take on their man. Who else do we have at the moment? When we tried the unconventional way of having Lingard and Martial as full back for their ability to take on their men, people complained we wasted them.

You can't call Valencia lazy. I agree that some of our players need to review how they play and practice to try to lessen their deficiency. It's not just about working hard but working smart for some of these players.
  40. Apr 16, 2018 at 16:55

FujiVice Full Member

If Mourinho didn't have a history of losing the dressing room and collapsing under his own ego, I'd be of the opinion that things will start to get better.