Mourinho's press conference for Southampton

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Damien, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dec 29, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Surprised no thread was made earlier - press conference was over an hour ago.

Thoughts on the transfer window
    The boss feels clubs must be prepared to spend a lot of money to land players because of the modern market, as Liverpool agree a £75million fee with Southampton for Virgil van Dijk. He said: “The reality is if they think the player is right for them and they really want the player, they pay this amount or they don't have the player because that's the way the market is at this time."

More on the market
    The boss adds: “Now you are going to say, Virgil van Dijk [is] the most expensive defender in the history of football. Was he better than [Paolo] Maldini or was he better than [Giuseppe] Bergomi or was he better than [Rio] Ferdinand? You cannot say that. It's just the way the market is and you pay or you don't pay. If you pay, obviously you pay a crazy amount of money. But if you don't pay, you don't have the player and it's as simple as that, so no critics at all. It's just the way it is."

Pleased with displays in last two games
    Despite successive 2-2 draws against Leicester and Burnley, the boss was happy with the team’s performances but feels there’s room for improvement. He said: “I think we played very well in both matches, probably the frustration is big because we played so well but we made mistakes that cost us the points in both matches. We played very offensive, in a very creative way and gave freedom to the players. We didn't score enough goals in relation to what we created."

Jose grateful to 'fantastic' Lukaku
    The boss praised the efforts of Romelu Lukaku, who hasn’t missed a minute of Premier League action so far this term. “I think for any player to play 90 minutes in 20 Premier League matches is absolutely incredible. I have to be very grateful for his personality and for his character. He was in the picture, I'm not saying he was a direct influence, in some of the last goals we conceded. It's a consequence of a player who really needs a little rest. But he's fantastic for me and the team."

Can Zlatan and Lukaku play together?
    The boss feels the pair can start together in attack but they must be at their "best level". He said: "It can happen but for it to happen, they both need to be in their best moment and they are not. One is not because the situation in this team didn't allow him to have any rest and Zlatan is a man with an incredible injury. We did that against Burnley and we will do that in some more matches if we need to do it, but I think we really need them to be at their best level."

Team news
    The boss admitted he’s unable to give top scorer Romelu Lukaku a rest but told MUTV he doesn’t expect any of his injured players to return against Southampton. Marcos Rojo is available despite initial fears he would be suspended after picking up a fifth booking of the season against Burnley.

Preparations for Southampton
    Mourinho told MUTV the team have spent some time training indoors in the hope of preventing more flu from spreading throughout the squad. When asked about preparations for tomorrow’s game, he said: “We just try to recover. With so many injured players that we have the group is so small at this time, so it’s just about rest. Even going a little bit to the indoor [pitch] hoping that no more flu or any more problems apart from the injuries. So it’s just about trying to protect players.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/MatchTrack...ign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter
  2. Dec 29, 2017

YesButNoButYes Banned

Supports:
    An objective United fan
    Mourinho makes a lot of sense to me when you listen to his interviews in full.

In my opinion he is shielding a lot of problems at United he is seeing that he cannot talk about.

He also seems like he's lost his desire, the desire he had at Porto (that run at Old Trafford), Chelsea, Inter (that famous scene at Nou Camp), and even at Real in wanting to beat Barcelona.

I don't see the same Mourinho as that anymore. I see a defeated guy for some reason.
  3. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Doesn't make one tiny sense when one team has just 48 hours between two games and others like Arsenal and chelsea get more days off.
  4. Dec 29, 2017

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

He's right about transfers. That's the way it is for now.

There have been chances to rest Lukaku. For a while we were trying to play him through his dry spell. Rashford and especially Martial have been very capable of playing through the middle all season long.
  5. Dec 29, 2017

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Must be a first.
  6. Dec 29, 2017

Fully Fledged Full Member

It's the Christmas schedule in the EPL. You have to learn to live with it. It's not some great conspiracy it's just the way it is.
  7. Dec 29, 2017

RedPnutz Full Member

The eyes often see what they want to see. Why would Mourinho be a defeated guy after winning 2 trophies last season and currently sitting second in the league?

Some of the narratives that fans try to paint border on the ridiculous.
  8. Dec 29, 2017

Drawfull Full Member

9. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Maybe then it should be equal for every team. Why have uneven gaps? Again its not us but also Liverpool who suffer because of this and also other midtable and lower level teams. Should be consistent is all my point.
  10. Dec 29, 2017

watching MUTV waiting for the presser. Listening to the fans singing Championie
    TV scheduling. Some teams were live Wednesday and last night while we weren't. TV gives us the money to go for players like Pogba so no matter how much we don't like it it's a necessary evil.
  11. Dec 29, 2017

Irrational. Full Member

12. Dec 29, 2017

Home&Away Banned

Unable to give Lukaku a rest. My gosh; it really is not that hard at all.
  13. Dec 29, 2017

Bastian Full Member

So Rom is fatigued, Zlatan is not ready (and may not be). I wonder if he's more keen on bringing in a new striker now, or if this is mitigated with a right winger, creating some selection for the attacking third.

We could line up with Martial up top, Rashford wide left, Jesse behind and then Mata wide right, drifting in. But there are currently no other options, unless we play Mkhi which doesn't seem very plausible.

What's the status of Martial?
  14. Dec 29, 2017

I agree with him that Lukaku needs a break. The man looks out on his feet and it's effecting his performances.
  15. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

16. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

17. Dec 29, 2017

Amir Full Member

18. Dec 29, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

Jose is getting very frustrated.
    He isn't being backed in the transfer market, meanwhile Pep has been given a blank cheque book to sign whoever he feels is required to win.
    I do home Jose can put pressure on the club, so that they allow him to spend.

Here is the presser:
  19. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

20. Dec 29, 2017

BluesJr Full Member

I wonder if Mourinho knows that he could just rest Lukaku and try Martial or Rashford there? Really don't see why he's so scared to do it.
  21. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

I think he did clear that by saying club backs him.
  22. Dec 29, 2017

Ban Full Member

That's your interpretation?
    Look the tweet below.
    He isn't being backed, based on what?
  23. Dec 29, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots

Love it. José pushing the narrative quite a bit to make United a big team and not just a big named club. Been cheaping out on not giving up an extra £10M-£15M or so to get the elite player they are after and settle for a much less quality player for a still expensive price which is just a waste of money considering how much extra United have to pay being the club they are.

Go big or go home. It’s time we bite the bullet and pay up if we want to be as good as the other elite TEAMS (not just club / name / reputation) across Europe.
  24. Dec 29, 2017

BluesJr Full Member

Look, I'm getting really tired of this argument. Jose has had plenty of money to spend, he chose to buy Lukaku who quite frankly isn't good enough. He's had 7/8 of the players he wanted and we still look nowhere near the finished article. If his coaching was better and he got the maximum out of the current squad we'd be a lot better off than we are just now. It's really not just about money, we don't look like a coherent team with a plan.

Yes, City have spent more and the squad was further ahead anyway, but to see Jose getting no blame on here just amazes me.
  25. Dec 29, 2017

Mr Smith Full Member

Seems like he's cooled down quite a bit. Did a lot of defending of the club and the players in this presser.
  26. Dec 29, 2017

bond19821982 Full Member

Well Jose -spending money is not always the answer as you rightly said, we have limits.
    Try to use our youth system and go for unproven cheap players who can be solid back ups.
  27. Dec 29, 2017

Ban Full Member

Bollocks.
  28. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

One of the best I have heard from Jose in the embargoed section. Honest, from the heart. unfortunately ass always Jose's critics will pounce on him and twist his words and start bashing him without even reading fully what he is saying.
  29. Dec 29, 2017

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

You don't hire Mourinho and then don't back him.
  30. Dec 29, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

You on about us signing Lukaku instead of Morata? That was Mourinho's choice and Lukaku isn't a "much inferior player".
  31. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

You can only do that once you have a solid spine and to build a spine you need to spend big. We needed a proper number 9 and there were not many so we had to shell out big. We needed a proper creative midfielder and we got Pogba and for that we had to shell big. Now we have to replace Carrick and once we do that then he can add fringe players. This is why I said in some other thread, we did not grow as a team from 2013-16. Now Jose is playing catch up.
  32. Dec 29, 2017

bond19821982 Full Member

Agree and no complaints on our transfer business for me.
    We just need to do our business more smartly (the ones outside bigger names)
  33. Dec 29, 2017

haram Full Member

He plays Rashford every game. He wants to keep and make use of Fellaini. Blind, Darmian etc who are average squad players are made use of. Young plays LB. He tried to get ahead of the pack and sign Lindelof for the future. McTominay has been given games. He wanted to keep Pereira.

I dont know what "cheap" is anymore tbh. What is cheap now? £30 million?
  34. Dec 29, 2017

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I am pretty sure this is him done here, he is desperate for a club to spend 500 million or whatever, and he knows they won't do that, so he is making excuses for himself. Talking absolute rubbish at this point, he had my support until now but these interviews lately about transfers have been childish and make no sense at all.
  35. Dec 29, 2017

haram Full Member

He is not saying he wants the club to spend 500 million. He is asking for patience to build a squad because he cannot do it all at once.
  36. Dec 29, 2017

BluesJr Full Member

We have backed him though? I really don't get this notion he hasn't been backed. He's also saying he'll continue to be backed, so next year at this time if we are in a similar position who's fault will it be then?
  37. Dec 29, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

So who is the big money megastar we sign in the summer do we think?
  38. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Exactly. Its a shame people do not want to even read what he is saying. That was one of the best I have heard Jose say, from the heart. But unfortunately Jose's critics are twisting his words and bashing him by making their own things up like he wants to leave, he is complaining about money blah blah.
  39. Dec 29, 2017

AshRK Full Member

I don't know where we will be next year but one this is for sure, whoever takes over from Jose (whenever that be) will have a better squad to manage as compared to what Jose had.
  40. Dec 29, 2017

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I haven't noticed him implying that anywhere, but just moaning about how he can't spend as much as City and pretty much saying we cannot catch them. I am really disappointed our manager thinks like this.