Movies vs TV

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dir Wangem, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Nov 8, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

Since roughly around 2010 and up until now, we've been in what many consider The Golden Age of TV. I am of course of these people. With bigger budgets and better writing, it's become hard to deny this. However, I've recently come to realize that even if we are in the so-called golden age, there are still surprisingly few amazing TV series out there.

How exactly do I define 'amazing'? To me, a work becomes amazing when there is a consistently high quality and a satisfying ending. There should also be very few flaws and the flaws you do find should be a result of nitpicking, rather than sloppiness from the creators. Any major flaw you might find in the work should pretty much be 100% based on your subjective opinion. Maybe you're just not into sci-fi no matter how good it gets? Maybe you can't stand the face of the main character? In any case, it should be subjective.

Having said all that, which TV series are truly amazing? To me, there really just seems to be one: Breaking Bad. Even if it's far from my favorite, it did manage to stay consistently good and it didn't really drag out either. Five seasons was the perfect length, in my opinon. The ending was also satisfying.

House of Cards was shaping up to be a masterpiece until season 3, and it's not been the same ever since. True Detective had a great first season, but went downhill in season 2(I get that it's an anthology, but still). And though if I'm a stubborn and hardcore fan, even I have to admit that the latest season of Game of Thrones had a lot of bad points.

TV series have one huge advantage over movies: time. More time for character development, story-building and world exploration. Ironically, this is also the greatest weakness of TV series. For three reasons:

1. It takes too long to write the entire story(unless it's based on a book), so the writers will have to improvise as they go(distributors only buy pilots or single seasons). This can lead to the creators writing themselves into a corner, ultimatelly ruining something that started out great.

2. It's harder to write a satisfying ending. Not only because of the point above, but also because the viewers devote so much more time into the story. They're almost bound to be a little disappointed. Especially if...

3. The story drags for too long. This point speaks for itself, but it's probably the most common problem in TV.

Conclusion
    Does this mean that movies win by default? Well, no. There may be more amazing movies to choose from, but there are also plenty that are bland, or even terrible. While modern TV series aren't likely to blow you away, they still tend to be good.

Basically: If I turn on a movie that I've been recommended, I'm much more likely to be disappointed than if I start watching a TV series that I've been recommended. Therefore, in terms of averages, I do think TV beats movies. I just wish that more TV series had consistent quality, good length and a satisfying ending.

What do you think?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Nov 8, 2017

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    What about those that are both? Like Stranger Things.
  3. Nov 8, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

How can it be both? A series of movies(like Rocky for instance) is just a series of movies, where each movie should be judged individually.
  4. Nov 8, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

True Detective's seasons are stand alone, so no idea why season one wouldn't be classed as a TV-masterpiece... it is.

And even when series aren't standalone, I disagree that every season needs to be amazing for it to be amazing tv. Homeland was absolutely brilliant for two seasons, I just stopped watching after that as I was happy with where the story went.

Game of Thrones and WestWorld season one are also absolutely sensational tv. GOT having one off season doesn't change that.

Band of Brothers... came earlier of course but wow, best war thing I've ever watched.

Stranger Things has had two incredible seasons so far. The Night Of was another standalone season of thrilling tv. Black Mirror rarely disappoints. I could go on and on and on.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. Nov 8, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

In my opinion, you should always judge a series as a whole, rather than focus on individual seasons. I just find it problematic when you need to specificy seasons before rating something highly. It's sort of like saying: "I love the Rocky movies! Except for Rocky 3, Rocky 4, Rocky 5 and Rocky Balboa..."

I can make an exception for anthologies like True Detective. But I will always feel the need to specify that I only like season 1, and I'll always feel a bit silly for doing it.
  6. Nov 8, 2017

George Owen LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

the TV series golden age finished with Breaking Bad.

Nothing newer or current come even close to it, or The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood, etc.
  7. Nov 8, 2017

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Nice tagline :(
  8. Nov 8, 2017

Just judge on what you like, why does it bother you saying "the first True Detective was sensational tv"? It's about you and what you enjoy, feck everyone else. I have no problem saying I love Star Wars and no, those prequels don't exist.

I watch some great tv up to a point where I just think, that story has finished now for me, as with Homeland. Often you'll be happier for it rather than forcing it.
  9. Nov 8, 2017

:(
  10. Nov 8, 2017

Ubik Full Member

I'll binge on TV like everyone else, but most of the time it does just feel like empty calories (with the odd exception).
  11. Nov 8, 2017

I do the same. The Killing for example, started world class, but i just stopped watching mid season 3.

Homeland too... i think i stopped after season 3.
  12. Nov 8, 2017

Nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes you just know the exact point in which a tv show has gotten too big to just stop and starts to force it, if you can get out then, you'll remember it so much fonder.
  13. Nov 8, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

It's actually the opposite problem. I don't care what people think about my tastes, but I don't want to reward a series that only managed to stay interesting for certain seasons.

It's both easier and more natural to specify your tastes when it comes to movie series and trilogies.
  14. Nov 8, 2017

But how do you reward it? Surely you just stop watching?
  15. Nov 9, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

I don't want to indirectly recommend it to others, basically :P
  16. Nov 9, 2017

JustAFan The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers

An evil little city in the NE United States
    Watch what entertains you as long as it entertains you and don't over think it.

There are amazing TV shows and amazing movies and crap shows and movies and ones that fall in between.

So both.
  17. Nov 9, 2017

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

Homeland should have been a single season with Brody detonating himself at the end of the finale.
  18. Nov 9, 2017

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

It died in the arse right at the end of season 1. The ending didn't satisfy.

The title for S1 and S2 were world class though.
  19. Nov 9, 2017

Would have been sensational.
  20. Nov 9, 2017

It satisfied me.
  21. Nov 9, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I don't want to invest lots of time in a TV show if it isn't great. I don't want to watch mediocrity and I don't do "guilty pleasures". Call it arrogant but my standards are pretty high.
  22. Nov 9, 2017

Party Boy Not to be trusted

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Posted in thread called "guilty pleasures"

23. Nov 9, 2017

You caught me off guard. :lol: However TWD started out pretty good to be honest and I've invested lots of time in it. Now I feel like I can spare the 45 minutes a week to keep watching it with my family. TWD is the exception for me. In other words, if I had the choice today to watch TWD for the 1st time I wouldn't do it.
  24. Nov 9, 2017

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

he will get you on something else now

This is what he does. He just wants to watch people feel bad
  25. Nov 9, 2017

In underappreciated TV shows

Or how about terrible but watchable films.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  26. Nov 9, 2017

I live with models was a joke, I don't even watch that. And movies are just 2 hours on average. You know my post was about TV shows.
  27. Nov 9, 2017

Rado_N Go Broncos!

There were five seasons in Breaking Bad.
  28. Nov 9, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

My bad.

My point remains, though. Considering its popularity, it could easily have gone on for 3 more seasons. Luckily it didn't.
  29. Nov 9, 2017

This isn't confined to this thread, it was pointing out the continuous referencing of terrible movies while bad mouthing terrible TV shows while watching the walking dead. It's douchey behaviour to do that, it's really that simple... and if someone acts douchey, people will tell them that that's the case. Maybe that makes me a douche too in peoples eyes, and fair enough but it seems normal to me. And yes he has bragged about his wife before, putting her on a pedestal to the forum and then lost his shit when people mocked him for it. That was a while back so my memory is a little fuzzy on it, if I remember correctly some posters were a bit harsh when replying back to that brag, and it went a little too far. So to clarify, I'm not saying and haven't at any point said that he's bragging about any of the stuff you just mentioned. Now shut up and go watch wild things.
  30. Nov 9, 2017

Who bragged about his wife? What are you talking about?
  31. Nov 9, 2017

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I think you might have a technical issue. Turn off and turn back on again
  32. Nov 9, 2017

Ubik Full Member

I'm also not sure TV shows will have the staying power that films do, years down the line. A handful, maybe.
  33. Nov 9, 2017

Duafc Colm Murray

:lol:
  34. Nov 9, 2017

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

35. Nov 9, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

What the hell happened to this thread?! :lol:
  36. Nov 9, 2017

SirAF Ageist

I have to say that I easily prefer TV shows to movies. Watching a movie that last 2+ hours straight just takes too much a chunk out of your evening, I think. It's easier to watch a few episodes a week, whether it is a 40 minute drama or 20 minute sit com.

I agree that there aren't any amazing tv shows out there today though (Well, I haven't been arsed with GoT yet, so.)
  37. Nov 9, 2017

Olly Ought to be paid for his graphic services

38. Nov 9, 2017

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

39. Nov 9, 2017

caid Full Member

Theres some pretty good sitcoms going atm.
    Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty are both pretty good imo, I like Bobs Burgers a lot too.
    (yes they're all cartoons shaddap)

I guess i agree the golden age of tv has come and gone though tbh.
    The Wire and The Sopranos are just a cut above everything else, and i dont expect that quality to come along often.
    They're fishing a bit atm, Westworld and Game of Thrones and True Detective are all pretty good.
    A couple of good seasons would push them above good to Breaking Bad's level (which i didn't like much really, great ending but i hated most of the characters by the end of the 2nd season)

@Party Boy your just jealous or something
  40. Nov 9, 2017

Dir Wangem Full Member

I'm only halfway through season 2, but so far I'm seriously disappointed with The Wire. It does not live up to the hype at all. It's obviously good, but it doesn't really stand out that much to me. It's starting to feel like one of those "it was great for its time"-series.

I've actually not seen Sopranos yet and it's been on my list for quite a while, but the people who recommended me The Wire tend to be the same people who recommend me Sopranos, so I'm starting to have second thoughts now..