Moyes So Far!

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedTillI'mDead, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 21, 2014

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Absolutely. Top 4 seemed like a realistic and reasonable expectation coming into this season and the club has given him the adequate amount of time and money to make sure he shows some kind of return on investment before backing him with more resources. Any employer would be concerned by such poor performances after a reasonable period of time.
  2. Apr 21, 2014

KeninDC Rest in Peace

I know there's no comparison-but for some reason I'm thinking of the 1963 coup that toppled Diem-the first South Vietnamese president. He was considered an ineffective leader, and the army ousted him in a coup that was meant to establish a more stable government. The actual outcome was a decade of unstable governments.

I guess this is what some fear-that by sacking Moyes now we've established the potential for a managerial merry-go-round. That's a risk-but leaving Moyes in place constituted a risk as well. Sometimes you just have to make a choice and hope it works out for the best.
  3. Apr 21, 2014

::sonny:: Full Member

Moyes never showed any talent in his career
  4. Apr 21, 2014

Roboc7 Full Member

There is a risk it will lead to a revolving door of managers but I think appointing him was a mistake, not sacking him earlier was a mistake and giving him more time would be a mistake. Ideally the club does want stability but moyes did nothing to suggest he could provide it, he couldn't shown any signs of improvement and he has lost the support of the players. He just didn't do enough to make himself a better alternative than a potential merry go round, all he offered was failure after failure.
  5. Apr 21, 2014

stevoc Full Member

No doubt if Sir Alex speaks people will listen but i just don't think he has the influence he once did, his selection of Moyes will have eroded that a little bit in my opinion.
  6. Apr 21, 2014

Chorley1974 Lady Ole

Moyes has been granted a fair bit of stability and assurance due to the fact that we have a portion of the club floated on the NYSE, so we have some pretty significant shareholders that the Glazers are accountable to, and it means they need a plan for the long term. Conversely the Glazers are under pressure to address performance issues, not so much from the current stock price,but long term outlook.

I fully expect Moyes to go shortly, however the club need a clear plan of what happens in the short and medium term to reassure the market, so that is why we won't get a knee jerk reaction, without at day or two to put a plan in place.
  7. Apr 21, 2014

KeninDC Rest in Peace

No disagreement from me about Moyes. I think it was always a little much to expect Fergie's replacement to last a decade or so. I think in this day and age that you can only expect successful managers to stay at a job for 2-4 years. There's so much pressure that I think any longer tenure leads to burn-out or that the side gets stale. I'm not saying it's preferable-but just that we have to be realistic.
  8. Apr 21, 2014

bucky Full Member

IMO it's foolish and unnecessary to insult Moyes, but there can be different opinions on whether he's a good man. The more the season went on the more I disliked him, I'm fairly sure I'm not alone with this. Not talking about performances, but how he has conducted himself afterwards. His shifting of responsibility in particular annoyed me a lot. I think he's spineless and I dislike that in people.
  9. Apr 21, 2014

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

That's nonsense.
  10. Apr 21, 2014

Roboc7 Full Member

Exactly it's probably safe to assume that in the next ten years we are more likely to have 3-5 managers rather than 1-2, it doesn't mean we won't be successful it just reflects modern football.
  11. Apr 21, 2014

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

But at the end of the day it is just Football. I do not think you can judge how good of a man he is by his press conferences.
  12. Apr 21, 2014

Litch Full Member

Just listen to Bob Cass (journo close to the club and SAF) on Talksport. He said if SAF was asked, he was clear his response would be its too soon to sack DM.....
  13. Apr 21, 2014

bucky Full Member

Most do this with Mourinho, too. I'm only judging him from what I've witnessed this season. He obviously can be a very different person in private.
  14. Apr 21, 2014

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I assume the likes of Mourinho and Moyes are good people but, I really have no idea. I just think it is completely silly to condemn them based on what you here from them when they are managing their clubs. I always thought those people who thought Ferguson was a horrible person were the types that take this stuff way too seriously.
  15. Apr 21, 2014

Dominos Full Member

I trust he's very close to Fergie's side of events, though as a follow up to his article a few week ago that said Fergie would have no say in Moyes' future, he responded to a question twitter on whether the Glazers were considering sacking Moyes, he said "not at all"...
  16. Apr 21, 2014

SirFergie Full Member

Agreed. He just showed no talent to manage Manchester United.
  17. Apr 21, 2014

KeninDC Rest in Peace

I joined the Caf out of dismay regarding Moyes's reign. I wanted him out since January or so-once it became apparent to me that things weren't going to improve.

Now that Moyes is out-I'll have this be my last post about the man. He unfortunately wasn't up for the job. It happens every day in business, sports and the arts. No shame in trying and failing.

Now-on to the next chapter. Can't wait.
  18. Apr 22, 2014

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

To be fair, anyone with a bit of self respect would just resign. The humiliation is just too much, probably not from fans, but I don't think I can face myself in the mirror knowing I live by the virtue SAF's final word.

It's just a job at the end of the day
  19. Apr 22, 2014

Sir Matt Blue Devil

The Independent suggests that he half-heartedly offered to resign after the Liverpool match. In other words, he had hoped to resigned and tried to but was unlucky. It has to be somewhat of a relief for him. He looks older than Fergie after just one year. He has to realize that he's out of his depth despite his proclamations. I can only guess his prattling about his plans for next year was the last thing he could do to avert attention from the actual football.

I genuinely feel bad for him, but he wasn't ever going to be good enough to managed United. At the end of the day, he has to realize that. I can't blame him for trying, but he can have no complaints.
  20. Apr 22, 2014

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

It's interesting to have a "Moyes watch"

let's see if he can bounce back from this nitemare of his (and probably ours as well)

It's not an easy thing to bounce back from a carreer calamity as big as this one
  21. Apr 22, 2014

Getsme Full Member

Funny how things work out. If he is to go then I'm sure he will get another job quickly. Saying that, I believe he's had his one shot at a big club. To say he's blew it would be a massive understatement.
  22. Apr 22, 2014

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

Maybe my initial observations were not too far off the mark! Start bad, middle bad, end bad!

Mourinho said it for me in one pre-season, you start winning it gives you a mentality for winning. We started shite and it never got much better.
  23. Apr 22, 2014

Bojan11 Full Member

Lock this shite please now and let it burn.
  24. Apr 22, 2014

Kaos Full Member

So is that banner going to come down now or are those cnuts at StretfordEndFlags/Tufty going to keep it up because we have an obligation to the man....oh wait.
  25. Apr 22, 2014

Count Orduck Full Member

They should call me Nostraduckmus.
  26. Apr 22, 2014

QuackQuack Handy with candles and exhausts

Il let you off for that.
  27. Apr 22, 2014

Suli "Do you get parents evening at uni?"

28. Apr 22, 2014

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

My first post in this thread. On September 3rd. Amazingly I was still optimistic here, but I was basically lying to myself.

Sometimes when something looks like a duck, acts like a duck and has always been a duck...It's a duck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.