Napoli

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Suedesi, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017

Moonred Full Member

I have never heard anyone or read anyone arguing that defensive football is the only winning football.
  2. Nov 2, 2017

Theonas Full Member Scout

I must have imagined the comments that more or less go "would you rather play like Arsenal and lose?"
  3. Nov 2, 2017

Moonred Full Member

That doesn’t mean it is the ‘only’ way unless you exaggerate your interpretations.
  4. Nov 2, 2017

Velvet Revolver Full Member

The problem with these kinds of teams is that there is no plan B. If plan A does not work it becomes a desperation which most often ends up in disappointment. After a certain time, teams will figure out your tactics and just nullify you. City to a certain extent did exactly that. They did not try to outsmart them but instead defended well and just waited to strike at the right moment.
  5. Nov 2, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

Nah he's wrong. Callejon, the right back and Albiol are proper liabilities.
  6. Nov 2, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

City were being outplayed, Napoli got injuries and then city took over. City started the second better, then Napoli took over and then City scored the third just after Napoli had missed a clear chance. City didn't wait for anything, they just had the best part of the luck on the night.
  7. Nov 2, 2017

Rawls You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

Hysaj is definitely not a proper liability. Albiol and Callejon are probably the two of the weakest players on the starting XI; however, that does not mean that they are proper liabilities, it just means that they are not as individually talented as their team-mates.
  8. Nov 2, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

At the very highest level they are all liabilities. Callejon literally contributed nothing last night apart from missing the easiest chance of the match. Albiol was watching Koulibaly run a one man central defensive pairing. What's shameful about this all is that it really Isn't difficult to improve on their incompetence, no wonder their fans have a dislike for the club president.
  9. Nov 2, 2017

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I do agree.
  10. Nov 2, 2017

Leroy The Red Full Member

Yeah you did imagine it.

Not sure why you've gone off on this weird tirade. I don't think anyone even mentioned anything about defensive football being better or more effective in this thread, merely a few pointed out whilst Napoli look good going forward, they haven't taken care with the equally important defensive game and as such universal praise should maybe be drawn in a bit? I don't really understand why you've gone all supersonic hyperbole to be honest, don't think anything has warranted that.
  11. Nov 2, 2017

Theonas Full Member Scout

Tirade? Two of those posts were a direct exchange with another poster. I think you're being a bit sensitive.
  12. Nov 2, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

They only conceded only 8 goals in 11 matches in Serie A. They were against a strong City side and they had to come out attacking.
  13. Nov 2, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Napoli have been playing like that for 3 seasons now, they won 25, 26, and 10 out of 11 this season in the league...yeah, teams have figured out how to nullify their tactics :lol:
  14. Nov 2, 2017

Sunspear17 Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Were Napoli this good the last couple seasons or just this season?
  15. Nov 2, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    They have always played very well under Sarri, but they have stepped up this season. I think the key has been to convert Mertens from winger to CF.
  16. Nov 2, 2017

Sammyjunn Banned

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    He was a CF last season too.
  17. Nov 2, 2017

Leroy The Red Full Member

Their problem isn't defending against the teams whom they are superior to, it's more teams at their level or above. It's why they tend to fail in the CL and get pipped by Juve, they don't want to address the Albiol problem or the not having a proper defensive holding midfielder problem.
    Hmm, I dunno, you seemed to get a bit pissy about the whole defensive football/ "aesthetically pleasing" football debate.
  18. Nov 2, 2017

SambaBoy Full Member

Hysaj was good a few years back but he hasn't developed at all, and he is a weak link for Napoli at times. He's too slow against quick wingers, he would be excellent on the right of a 3 man defence providing Napoli could find a RWB who has better stamina and is quicker/more agile.

They could do with another CB too to upgrade on Albiol.
  19. Nov 2, 2017

moonunderthewater Banned

Whoever out of City's group goes in the EL, are defo worth a little wager. Both Napoli and Shaktrar looked quality
  20. Nov 2, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Holding mid isn't a problem since the inside mids are fast and physical enough and the team as a whole is really good at winning the ball back. They do have some trouble defending when pinned in their own half, but there's very few teams who are capable of forcing them on the back foot. They could upgrade many positions, the problem is it's not easy, and they don't have united's infinite money. They spent a lot on Maksimovic who so far as not worked out. Albiol is not great but is vital for them. Same goes for Callejon. The only players on that team who could be considered borderline world class are Insigne, Mertens and Hamsik. Maybe Koulibaly i guess, given the scarcity of quality CBs. Still when you compare player for player with a Manchester United or Tottenham(nevermind juventus or man city) you can see they're not a team full of great players. They don't have anything like a Kane or a Pogba
  21. Nov 3, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Why do you think that possession teams get figured out but teams that play counterattack or long balls will not?
  22. Nov 3, 2017

Rawls You'll never find, that microfilm of mine

I wouldn’t say that Hamsik is borderline World-Class based on this season’s form. If I had to pick three borderline World-Class players from Napoli, I’d go for Insigne, Ghoulam, and Jorginho. IMO, Jorginho is the best deep-lying playmaker in the world right now; if Sarri moves, he’ll probably move with him too.
  23. Nov 3, 2017

NoPace Full Member

I don't think you can call a RW who gets 52 goals in 148 league starts (and 12 sub appearances) at his club a failure. Not a lot of consistent double digit wing scorer and he's about to do it 4 times in 5 years. I'd be surprised if anyone but Messi, Cristiano, Neymar, Alexis and Bale has matched that in a top 5 league over the same period, though you could quibble and add that Griezmann and Muller would have if they'd been kept out wide.

Point is, Callejon is durable, very productive and makes brilliant runs in behind to capitalize on Mertens and Insigne's playmaking ability. He's not the dribbler or creator most top wingers are but he's a fine player.

Agreed on Albion. His being a bit weak is also an extra problem due to their size issues. I think they need to find a CB to replace him and then someone with some size in midfield who can still play their brand of football since they don't really have anyone to win headers and be physical and defend set pieces other than Koulibaly.

Hysaj is alright but having someone who can really motor on the right would help with Callejon looking to come inside more.

I'd add Reina to the list. He's fine but there is surely a bigger and quicker (at this point) keeper who can still pass a ball waiting to be bought.
  24. Nov 3, 2017

NoPace Full Member

I was thinking about that but I have to assume they'd start resting guys in the EL if they're in the title race, and then you're counting on guys like Milik, Ounas, Rog, Zelinski and Diawara and while there is a fair amount of talent there, Napoli's style doesn't allow a lot of room for errors or lack of cohesion. One or two bad passes in their own 3rd and they could be in trouble.
  25. Nov 3, 2017

11101 Full Member

When they lose the ball possession teams tend to lose it in more dangerous positions than long ball/counter attack teams, it's that simple imo.
  26. Nov 3, 2017

NoPace Full Member

It's fullback, a young man's position. Someone will come along and show their quality even if we aren't just buying Danny Rose. Jorge at Monaco looks really good going forward (and is in the Brazil squad now at a position they're loaded at) and there are other promising young players peoples at clubs you can buy from that people seem to rate like Wendell, Alex Telles, Dalbert, Jonny, Tierney, Sessegnon, Grimaldo, Aaron Caricol and Tagliafico. No idea who Mourinho likes, obviously.
  27. Nov 3, 2017

Aza Boy Banned

Too early to say Napoli will win scudetto. Roma,Juve, and Inter, even black horses like Atalanta and Lazio will be the barriers.

If until year end, Napoli can still lead with good margin, perhaps they will. But i doubt it.

Juve will bounce back, and Inter had a draw with them.
  28. Nov 3, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

Callejon is a small game player who disappears on the big stage, far from a fine player. In a match like the one against city, a passenger like him in those circumstances hurt the team. Napoli literally threaten through one side.
  29. Nov 3, 2017

NoPace Full Member

He definitely contributes far less to build up than Insigne, but there's a reason he scores so many goals. Times his runs brilliantly, always a threat for through balls and far post crosses. Was inches from winning the game after one of those perfectly timed runs, but Ederson made a good save.

Hell, ESPN has him as having led all of Serie A in assists last year. He's not going to beat a man in his own half and start an attack like Insigne, so I agree he does hurt their buildup on that side (though Hamsik + Ghoulam are definitely better at linking play than Allan + Hysaj) compared to quicker wingers who can beat a man, but it's hard to hurt the team when you're literally leading the league in assists and 4th among wide players in goals (Balde, Salah and Insigne edged him out last year).

He's their version of someone like Valencia for us. Productive without being top quality. Not the first player to replace but not one of their best 4 or 5 guys either.
  30. Nov 3, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    The guy scored twice in turin against juventus last season. He's far from useless in big games. And what he does off the ball is vital for them. Not just the runs, but the pressing and tracking back too

Albiol is the leader of the defence. Replacing him means finding someone with the same skillset but better. If you haven't noticed, there's not very many good CBs out there atm, and fewer still with that skillset. And those few? Why would they choose Napoli?

@11101 you missed his point...
  31. Nov 3, 2017

11101 Full Member

I don't think so.

He's asking why do possession teams get figured out more easily, I don't think they do. What does getting figured out mean? Losing.

Both styles can be figured out, but when it happens with a possession team it's more noticeable because they will often be losing the ball near their own goal and conceding chances. Once you work out how to press them effectively the whole system breaks down. With a counter/long ball team the ball is quickly moved up to the other end so when it's lost its much further away from danger and less likely to cost a goal.
  32. Nov 3, 2017

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    You really don't rate him, do you? :)
    If not for a fine save by Ederson he would have put Napoli 3-2 up in that game.
  33. Nov 3, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Their main problem is that they have a strong starting 11 but the quality of the squad players is nowhere near close. If one of their starting players misses games, they're in trouble and I'm sure they will now with the LB being injured
  34. Nov 3, 2017

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Do you mean Ghoulam?
  35. Nov 3, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    That was his point

Btw, there's no such thing as a "possession" team being figured out. Teams can be figured out, regardless of how they play, because of the quality of their players. We expected PL sides to "figure out" Leicester all season, and then they never did. Because Leicester's players kept playing better than the opposition. Tactics are waaaay overrated on this board

You want to know how Pochettino out-thought Zidane and put up a tactical masterclass? Spurs run 11.3 kms more than real madrid. It begins and ends with that
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  36. Nov 3, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Yep. Let‘s see how they cope now
  37. Nov 3, 2017

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    I don't even know what this lazy cliche of plan 'A' and 'B' means anymore. Like, why is this a specific case for such teams as Napoli and City? What was United's plan 'B' after they went behind against Huddersfield?
  38. Nov 3, 2017

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Would still prefer a fullback from Calcio A, seeing as most teams in the league focus a lot more on the tactical side. Meaning that players gets a better understanding of the game.
    Unfortunately we choose a fullback from the Catenaccio era when we bought Darmian. And Alex Sandro would be the benchmark player.
  39. Nov 3, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Callejon shit? Very harsh. He has done very well since he joined Napoli.
  40. Nov 3, 2017

Velvet Revolver Full Member

Its all about adapting the game. This plan A plan B thing is not only to Napoli or city, it's applicable to most teams some adapt some don't and the teams that don't end up on the loosing side or don't win anything significant. Last season everyone made fun of city cos they dint have a plan B now because its Napoli who everyone seems to be head over heels in the recent few months its offensive!
    Usually its these teams which play attacking possession based football that suffer. Look at arsenal and Liverpool under Klopp and even us under LVG (boring possession even when we were losing or game was 0-0 or 1-1). Why do you think we (united) struggled so much in CL under Fergie after the group stages. it's because we insisted on playing 4-4-2 while most teams we played had a 3 man mid.