Negative stories in the press at the moment

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Wumminator, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Dec 23, 2017

Wumminator The Special One!

Now this thread is not to discuss individual stories, but rather to discuss the overall theme of negative press that has been coming out from the club recently.

I won't link the articles because they're mostly nonsense, but here are some of the headlines:

Manchester United’s senior players ‘exasperated’ as Paul Pogba was late for training because he overslept

Manchester United's Romelu Lukaku is 'sulking' because he has the hump with bossy Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Henrikh Mkhitaryan is also unhappy with Raiola. -He believes the agent should be publicly backing him (Not an article by itself)

Jose Mourinho angry at Manchester United's holiday load

Ibrahimovic, Young and Carrick annoyed at behaviour of Man Utd players

Now what do we make of all this stuff? The mood around the club seems negative and the ideas of bust - ups is quite worrying.

Is this just because we are playing slightly poorly? It seems like the vultures are circling even though we are second.

2. Dec 23, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Well we can hardly criticise too much when our own fan base makes the press look like they're eulogising about us
  3. Dec 23, 2017

cyberman Full Member

It's because, despite the 11 point gap, we rarely drop points or simply lose enough games for the press to be able to jump on us.
    The story is there, falling behind City etc but they can't put the boot in because of it. The cup loss gives them that little window to do so.
    Poor Lukaku is upset at Ibra yet it's the same Lukaku who respects Ibra so much he asked permission to take over his squad number from last year..
  4. Dec 23, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Easy to create doom and gloom when the club isn't in the best of shape. Negative spin on Manchester United will always be great for the website clicks too.

Still... Have to be a little wary. Jose is infamous for losing a dressing room after all.
  5. Dec 23, 2017

Bastian Full Member

Isn't it more catering to disgruntled fans? There is a lot of frustration, of course in no small part due to City's enormous progression, but also something that appears to be two camps: Those who think Mourinho is playing terrible football and should be swapped for someone positive and those think that Mourinho has improved us significantly but needs more backing from the board. The former group is probably providing 1000 clicks per second for those news outlets
  6. Dec 23, 2017

RedPnutz Full Member

Reading this forum makes those headlines feel benign. Our fanbase here is infinitely more negative.
  7. Dec 23, 2017

ash_86 Full Member

We generate clicks like no other club. I'm happy that our club keeps average writers in job and gets their next paycheck. Good thing is to just ignore as much as possible.
  8. Dec 23, 2017

diplomat Banned

What is the point of the press these days? Most are like gossip magazines, with no real substance or facts, only assumptions and hear-say. How is that even allowed by the law, just write whatever BS comes to mind and get away with it? Isn't something like this considered slander or spreading false rumours?

I feel it all started with the Twitter sensationalist trend, where everything needs to be click-bait, exclusive "insight" about a non-existing story or transfer speculation. I'm a strong advocate for freedom of speech but not when it's used to intentionally spread lies in order to maximise personal gain in the form of increasing revenue and pocketing more money from people's vitriol.
  9. Dec 23, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I agree it's mostly for clicks. I'm sure it's true Mkhi and Lukaku have had bees in their bonnets, hence their poor form, but whatever the issue is they need to sort it fast as sulking will get us nowhere.
  10. Dec 23, 2017

TinFoil New Member

Holt and winter are definitely on the city payroll
  11. Dec 23, 2017

Mrs Smoker Full Member Scouse Lover

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Trump sympathizes.
  12. Dec 23, 2017

Bastian Full Member

I very much doubt that Lukaku's non-celebrations after scoring those 2 goals following his slump has even 0.00001% to do with Zlatan. That whole notion is absurd. More likely he's bothered by criticism from the fanbase.
  13. Dec 23, 2017

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

What does "has the hump" mean? Sounds dirty :lol:
  14. Dec 23, 2017

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Lukaku not celebrating means he's massively got the hump that he's "Not the main man", despite starting every single game bar the league cup quarter, a game Ibra plodded around and looked sluggish.
    Nothing to do with scoring against previous clubs, and no quotes whatsoever.
  15. Dec 23, 2017

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

We just lost to Bristol so it's time for this drivel.

Guaranteed if we'd won we wouldn't be seeing this stories
  16. Dec 23, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

There is probably a tiny bit of truth to all the stories but, none of them seem like a big deal.
  17. Dec 23, 2017

Rockets Redglare New Member

Rooney with the leaks again.
  18. Dec 23, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Players aren't always happy. Shocker.
  19. Dec 23, 2017

Class of 63 Full Member

Negative stories in the press at the moment:

At the moment ?!

Can't remember a time, and i'm going back to the early 70's when there weren't negative stories a plenty, it's just how it is, it makes me love the club more if i'm honest so no biggy

20. Dec 23, 2017

Steven7290 Full Member

It's not like we're sitting at 7th on the table or anything, oh wait we are 2nd!!!
  21. Dec 23, 2017

el3mel Full Member

The mood at the club is fine. It's journalism that is shite. Nothing we haven't seen before.

United losing is always the biggest story.
  22. Dec 23, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

Fake news.
  23. Dec 23, 2017

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I'm not saying the stories are true, but I doubt things are fine and rosey at the moment. We're a big club with a manager who's used to winning things, our recent form means a few will be unhappy.
  24. Dec 23, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Depends. Which ones do you mean by them being unhappy ? fans ? players ? board ? manager ?
  25. Dec 23, 2017

MrPooni Full Member

Username checks out.
  26. Dec 23, 2017

Some of the players and the manager. Jose is a winner, this is hard for him.
  27. Dec 23, 2017

AshRK Full Member

This. When your own housemates are throwing stones at the house, no point looking at neghbours and criticising them.
  28. Dec 23, 2017

MarchingOn New Member

The best part about the Pogba story was that it took place 3 weeks ago
  29. Dec 23, 2017

el3mel Full Member

They can be annoyed at losing to City and getting eliminated from the cup, but for sure can't see Lukaku being angry because Zlatan is getting more attention! I mean I don't even think Zlatan getting more attention is a true thing itself.
  30. Dec 23, 2017

Jazz Full Member

The press put us under pressure more than ever before (even I'm getting tired and weary as a supporter). I just want them to stfu.

I think it's been systematic ever since Sir Alex left. Everytime we lose or draw, the press start circling. It doesn't help as well when some of the ex players use the opportunity to open their mouths at the most inopportune times. It just creates tons more pressure on us. Just let us breathe a little.

I really believe part of our headless chicken mental state at times in games is partly due to the constant negativity surrounding us. No wonder they look so afraid to lose. It's not good to have your managers and players constantly dragged.

If people are leaking shit to the press as well, they should be weeded out and dumped out of the club. We can't afford anything but togetherness. Sort things out in private.

It's also one of the main reasons why I hope we recruit some really mentally tough players going forward, cause it's a brutal environment at the moment.
  31. Dec 23, 2017

edgar allan Full Member

What criticism? I doubt he reads his own performances on here?
    He has had great support at the games.
  32. Dec 23, 2017

I never said that was case though. I said I don't think the players are happy at the moment due to the results and our recent form.
  33. Dec 23, 2017

el3mel Full Member

The problem is journalism are saying players aren't happy because of such unbelievable reasons, as the one I mentioned, not that they're just annoyed because they lost a match.
  34. Dec 23, 2017

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    I know a lot of you have only started shaving so I feel its pertinent to point out that this shit has gone on for years. I remember the two or three game skid that began with the invisible grey kit hammering we got at Southampton back in the mid 90's . The press said we were a shambles and Fergie had been finally found out. Even times during the treble season we werent as good as Liverpool or Arsenal. The only time I think we were untouchable with the press was the 08 season because they realised Ronaldo was the real deal and focused on him positively for once.
  35. Dec 23, 2017

edgar allan Full Member

The influence of the press is hugely exaggerated, 10 years ago maybe but readership numbers are hugely reduced and nobody seriously believes the rubbish they speculate on.
    I think blaming that for even the slightest effect on our performances and tactics is clutching at straws. We were playing well with confidence at the start of the season and when a few big games against the better teams came up the managers tactics changed back to the default setting . I wouldn't blame the press for that.
  36. Dec 23, 2017

GazTheLegend Full Member

This.

Also? Manchester United get CLICKS.

Positive story? Gets tons of attention, clicks, keeps advertisers happy.
    Negative story? Gets tons of attention, clicks, keeps advertisers happy.
    Neutral story? Gets no attention. No clicks. No money.

It's just to generate interest.
  37. Dec 23, 2017

Jazz Full Member

Of course they've always been on our case. I just think it's even worse now.
    Footballers nowadays aren't as tough as before either, so I can definitely see this having an effect. Hence my constant bleating about not only recruiting talented players, but ones with the required mental strength (as long as we can find them of course..)
  38. Dec 23, 2017

Jazz Full Member

I disagree. People are hugely influenced by click bait articles, especially most younger people nowadays.
    Yes of course we looked 'confident' when we were winning, but a good team is measured by how you respond to adversary. Of course the press isn't the only issue for us (everybody knows that), but their influence is not over exaggerated in my humble opinion.

The other thing is, our managers are under serious pressure here. Very confident and experienced managers like Jose and LVG look bloody weary here - it's a seriously hard job. I can see why Jose goes back to his default setting at times, when he's not confident we can pull off a victory against a very good side.
  39. Dec 23, 2017

Schmiznurf Full Member

As the saying goes, "hate us cause they aint us!"
  40. Dec 23, 2017

edgar allan Full Member

Well I am not saying that it doesn't have any impact but we disagree on the relative importance.

I agree it is a big job and puts serious pressure and expectation on the manager, however that's what is expected of our manager. He does have the additional expectation for a positive style of play that comes from our tradition of playing attacking football over the years. He accepted that responsibility in his early press conferences however he has remained pragmatic in his playing style.
    I also think that Jose looked and sounded very weary even before we appointed him.