Nelson Semedo

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by OohAahMartial, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:28

bobglory New Member

Wow the kid had a career threatening injury and was out for almost a year . I had a similar injury over 3 years ago and I know that it will never be the same again and some days the pain from the arthiritus makes putting weight on it difficult .
    He was one of our best players that season he got injured so saying he's not good enough is harsh.he wasn't great last season when he got a chance tho,maybe it's the injury or the McDonald's .
  2. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:30

032Devil Full Member

I would rather have Valencia in the RB position. Semedo can be his deputy.
  3. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:34

Android1974 Full Member

Darmian is a very defensive right-back, who can even play center-back, and Mourinho trusts him tactically, so unless there's a very good offer on him, he'll stay put.
  4. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:39

An Irish Red Full Member

We're intent on having a defensive winger so maybe the plan is to move Valencia forward again and play Semedo at fullback.

I wouldn't be overly keen on that but Valencia would certainly be better than Lingard there like.
  5. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:44

ThomasEmil Invisible Herrera Watcher

Supports:
    United and Martin Tyler
    You can't handle the truth!
  6. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:51

Android1974 Full Member

No way this is happening… And he wouldn't even be better than Lingard, that's how bad he would be there now.
  7. Jun 19, 2017 at 22:56

bucky Full Member

I think left-back should be a bigger priority, but I'm all for it, since we need someone to rotate with Valencia and I think Darmian should be sold, even if that sounds harsh.
  8. Jun 19, 2017 at 23:04

Android1974 Full Member

Young was that guy last season until he got injured. And they're both very attacking full-backs, we also need a different player as backup.
  9. Jun 21, 2017 at 01:47

Adnan Twitter machine

"That, coupled with Semedo’s ability to fill in on the left side of the backline when required, could see the Benfica man quite reasonably accrue 40-plus appearances for the Red Devils, who will be competing on four fronts next season, should he make the switch to Old Trafford."
  10. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:00

MyOnlySolskjaer Half Member

He's too good to sit on the bench but he's not good enough yet to keep Valencia out of the team. If he's willing to be patient next season it could be a worthwhile signing.

He's had 2 games as an LB in his career, it would be unwise to spend around £30M on him to fill that position.
  11. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:05

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

How good is this kid @Sly
  12. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:08

MyOnlySolskjaer Half Member

12 assists this season. Pretty impressive for a RB, seems like the type of player that the fans will fall in love with. Fast, direct, good dribbler, link up play and crosser.

13. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:15

Mike09 Full Member

30m pounds is too good to be ignored though if he's available for that price. Better get him for that price before it goes up to 50m pounds.
  14. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:19

Vito Corleone Full Member

He looks fantastic. I am all for signing him up. I don't think he would mind being backup, and it's about time we actually had some competition in those fullback spots.
  15. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:22

Z_Wolf New Member

He's an upgrade to Valencia. Valencia is a tad overrated imo. He's built like a tank but his link up play, crosses and attacking movement leaves a lot to be desired.
  16. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:43

Mike09 Full Member

His attacking movement and link up play in fact one of his big aspect from many. You must have watch different player.

I still remember when people in 2014/2015 season used to call "trio" on Herrera/Mata/Valencia due to their link up play.
  17. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:44

Sterling Archer Full Member

Sounds like you have a case of looking over the fence and thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
  18. Jun 21, 2017 at 02:53

Z_Wolf New Member

I don't agree at all. He might be mobile and that is the least we should expect from a FB, but the timing of his runs is poor hence why people constantly complain about the team lacking width. He also always pauses when he gets the ball and is slow to make decisions. This also makes our attacks slow and less fluent imo.
  19. Jun 21, 2017 at 03:27

Mike09 Full Member

Every match, he ripped apart the two left opposition players last season due to his attacking movement and Pogba always find him with his pass whenever he makes run so how can the timing of his runs is considered to be poor? It doesn't make sense.

You only take a little weakness from Valencia such as pauses when he gets the ball and try to make it into big issues which never been his issues. He pauses when he gets the ball to let the others make run and also even though he pauses, he can also play one two touch quick passing and long ball so that means his decision making isn't poor and slow. He can beat his men as well easily.

Watch this Valencia's video and you will change your mind [Don't tell me it's only YouTube because I am sure you watched Semedo from YouTube compilation as well (unless if you are Benfica's fans) and based on that YouTube you called him to be an upgrade of Valencia when he can't even play starter in Portugal National Team].

20. Jun 21, 2017 at 03:32

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    the key point is Valencia is getting on. This Semedo looks a very good player.
    I'm sure both players will get lots of game time.

Mourinho will go for all trophies. Now that we have mid-week matches instead of the Thursday, the squad will be well paced.
  21. Jun 21, 2017 at 03:35

BennyBlanco fixated with Shaw's bum

Would just like to point out people talk and debate about Valencia offensively, but to be fair defensively hes been quality, nothing much came down our right side all season and didn't make any errors or mental lapses that led to goals. I feel like thats a point that gets overlooked when evaluating him on here, any new fullback would need to not just be better offensively but defensively sound.

Personally I think RB is the last position we need to be looking at with glaring holes everywhere else.
  22. Jun 21, 2017 at 04:40

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

He aint no Paul Parker imo
  23. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:06

f_to_z Full Member

I have seen him play some matches. I think what pops out about him is his defensive/offensive mix. Hes good at both but not excellent at one. Hes still very young so can be shaped to what kind of full back he'll become. His offensive work reminds me of a young Dani Alves. Can he ever reach his potential? Time will tell.
  24. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:13

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

All for signing him. He can play left back for next season whenever Valencia is starting, obviously not as good there but even out of position he'll still more then likely be better then the others! Plus, a natural replacement for Valencia in another year or so. Exactly what we need at fullback though, plus at a great age and just had a great season. Can't see them letting go for under 45m, but it's worth it still.
  25. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:32

dasty Full Member

Valencia is already 32, his decline is inevitable and it is better that we sign his replacement ASAP or clubs will be trying their best to rip us off when Valencia actually declined and we desperately need a RB.

I mean, the same people calling Perisic at 28 too old is now in this thread saying Valencia at 32 is just fine. Wtf seriously.
  26. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:40

prtk0811 Full Member

I think he will struggle too to cope with the work rate demands in full back position. He won't be an instant hit.
  27. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:53

Red_toad Full Member

Valencia isn't 32 yet, he's going to be first choice next season, we have plenty of young defenders who can cover right back when he's rested. He's not going to suddenly decline within the next 12 months and there are far more pressing issues in the team than right back.
    If we sign anyone they're going to be back up, do we pay 35 million for a back up rightback?
  28. Jun 21, 2017 at 05:56

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times

It's for competition and squad depth. When Madrid had Carvajal it didn't stop them from buying Danilo, and Valencia is no Carvajal.
  29. Jun 21, 2017 at 06:18

Mainoldo Full Member

Well Danilo flopped and was a waste of money. We need to strengthen in other areas and I don't think it's wise to buy another 6 players in one window.
  30. Jun 21, 2017 at 06:22

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times

Yeah, but it was a sign of ambition. Real had the mantra of two world class players for each position at the time. Whilst that creates problems with lack of game time, it has a positive effect in terms of competition. It's healthy to have to fight for places. If signing a right back meant signing a left back wasn't feasible, then I'd prefer we didn't sign a right back. But I don't think one depends on the other, and as good as Valencia is (possibly our best outfield player last season), his attacking play still leaves a lot to be desired.
  31. Jun 21, 2017 at 06:27

Devil81 Full Member

Can he even cover both rb & lb?

If not then I don't see the point.
  32. Jun 21, 2017 at 06:50

Red_Orchestra New Member

Man United played a total of 56 games last season in all competitions. Valencia played a total of 43 games, he only came on twice as a sub. I don't know how many times he was subbed off.

Signing a new right back would be beneficial based on these stats. I'm all for a new right back as long as it doesn't hinder the spending on new attackers for the next season.

As for Semedo, I know absolutely nothing about him. He's looks good from the videos.
  33. Jun 21, 2017 at 07:29

Axkiko New Member

Age is not a problem when a player take good care of themselves. It's not video game. Zlatan and Giggs were always at good level when they were 35 and 40.
  34. Jun 21, 2017 at 07:37

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

We have to plan long term and that means if the right player is available to succeed Valencia, we buy him. Both will get enough games and competition is always good
  35. Jun 21, 2017 at 07:59

roonster09 Full Member

ManUtd played 64 games last season. Agree with your point, we can't rely on single player.

Age is a problem. We have to think long term also, when potentially good player (know nothing about him, going by people who watched him) is available then we have to invest in the player when he is at clubs like Benfica. If Bayern or Barca get him then we can forget about the player unless they sell him when they think he isn't good enough.
  36. Jun 21, 2017 at 09:02

Giant Midget Aka - rooney_10119

Giggs games were selected very carefully. You can't chop and change a back four, and our reserves fullbacks don't have the same qualities as Valencia. Darmian plays like a CB on the wing. Our RW usually cuts inside and our LB don't push forward anyway. If we lose Valencia, our game completely lacks width.

We've gone from having peak Nani/Valencia and Rafael there to the slowpoke combo of Mata and Darmian. It's painful to watch those two try to link up.
  37. Jun 21, 2017 at 09:49

nokillingmoths Full Member

Saying a player who played so little was one of our best players is an odd statement. He started well, but so did depay, if depay had been injured instead of shaw we'd be saying the same about him. It means nothing really.

If hes never the same again as you sadly aren't (although i would imagine he had infinitely better treatment and physio than you did), then again he should be sold. Its harsh but thats a risk of playing i guess.

I personally think he should be kept as a back up to see if he can prove himself, but the injury can't be used as a reason for his poor performances at this stage. If it genuinely is still an issue for him, then hes either mentally or physically not strong enough for top level football. While that would be a shame, it means he would need to go.
  38. Jun 21, 2017 at 10:44

devilish Drivelish

Age is a concern and will catch on players one day or another. There's nothing wrong in trying to prevent being caught with our pants down.
  39. Jun 21, 2017 at 10:57

Home&Away New Member

Samedo and Cameron borthwick Jackson at fullbacks. The crosses would be deadly for a target man :drool:
  40. Jun 21, 2017 at 12:18

An Irish Red Full Member

Borthwick Jackson couldn't get games at Wolves last season. He has no chance of making it here whatsoever.