New Full-Back Needed?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by MPTutd, Jul 7, 2011.

?

Are United a fullback short for the new season?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2011.
  1. Yes

36.7%
  2. No

63.3%
  1. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Evans is a fine left back, and he's played there before for us.

When has Smalling played right back for us? I genuinely can't remember.
  2. Jul 7, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

a few times. never started a game at right back, but he came off the bench to fill in the RB position a few times...one occasion i remember was the final league match against blackpool, which he was involved for our 3rd goal which was an own goal from a blackpool defender.
  3. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Ah, literally the only match I missed last year in the prem, because I got called into work.

But again, it seems like he was bought on because he was our only defensive option on the bench, if he's never started there, I would be worried if we went into a big league game needing him to do a job.
  4. Jul 7, 2011

Ekeke Full Member

He can fill in, but we are a much weaker side without a player getting forward a lot on the left to support the winger.

Smalling did a better job at RB and its easy to see that Jones could play the role without problems, thats if you've actually watched Jones play.

He's probably the best out and out defender of the three, arguably the best on the ball of the three, less pace than Smalling but lots more than Evans and the added bonus that Jones is the best of the 3 in the air. I'm not saying he wouldnt need to practice the position in training and would definitely play the role amazingly from his very first game in the team there like with Smalling. But there is no reason to doubt that he can play there
  5. Jul 7, 2011

Ekeke Full Member

Maybe he would have started there, but he was starting in the middle a lot last season because we needed him.

I mean, why has Ferdinand never started at right back for us? I can guarantee its not because he cant play the role
  6. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

In all fairness, Smalling played against Blackpool at home, not exactly a great indicator of how well he'd do there in general.

And how much have you watched of Jones?
  7. Jul 7, 2011

Jiggs'Hamstring Full Member

I just can't believe we're selling O'Shea. It's madness. We've got 3 (or 4, if you include Hargreaves) fewer right backs now than we had last season. What we really need is to sign someone experienced, versatile and solid to cover for the twins' injury record. And we've just sold O'Shea. I don't get it!
  8. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

I certainly doubt how good Rio would be at right back.
  9. Jul 7, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

because he has no competition. He played very poorly in some games last season but was still picked. Cant be good

In answer to the OP, yes, i've said this in the O'Shea/Brown/Gibson thread. I think we're a bit short if they leave.

Ferdinand is injury prone for the past 2 seasons. Smalling covered a lot for him last year.

The twins are also injury prone

We dont know how Jones will perform at fullback

Evans is not a fullback. He can do a job there but fans will get on his back ala Fletcher when he played out of position. His head will drop and that doesn't help.

We have a new young goalkeeper bedding in. We dont want to be in the position again where we end up playing midfielders in defence.

So, my answer is "yes"
  10. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Same mate, I trust Ferguson has got something planned, but to me it looks like madness.
  11. Jul 7, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

yeah, at the moment it is a mad situation. i'm sure sir alex has something in his mind.just hope selling o'shea is not going to give us any cover problem for our defense for next season. anyway it is a sad day indeed to see both sheasy and brown leaving.
  12. Jul 7, 2011

kps88 Full Member

We definitely could use another fullback. Last season we had Oshea and Neville filling in when injuries kicked in. Having a left footed left back as back up to Evra would be ace. Fabio and Rafael can duke it out for RB.

Also, has anyone seen Jones ever play full back?
  13. Jul 7, 2011

Hal9000 Full Member

Maybe our interest in that celtic left back is true? Him and paddy on the left, the twins competing on the right. Although I dont think its that important. Evans is more than competent at full back and smalling is handy on the right. With 3 young center backs. Maybe we will see evans jones our smalling on the defensive flanks some more, just to give them gamer time
  14. Jul 7, 2011

Rood nostradamus like gloater

I think fullback is the easiest position to fill in at, that is why you will often see natural CBs or wingers playing there - which is why we dont need another fullback
  15. Jul 7, 2011

buckooo1978 Full Member

we definately need another fullback

i think jones could 'do a job' but given the injury problems both da silvas have we would be insane not to bring in more strength in depth

we dont want to get in a situation where we have giggs at left back and valencia/fletcher at right back

still cant understand the o shea transfer....

this could be like the season before last when we could only really rely on rooney for goals and everytime he went down there was panic

the de laet loan seems strange now but we have been heavily linked with izaguirre havent we?
  16. Jul 7, 2011

Ekeke Full Member

Shows you worry too much then.
  17. Jul 7, 2011

Amir Full Member

Who are those 1-2 young players? Anderson I can see. I'm certainly not counting on anything from Gibson, if he stays at all. We've lost Scholes, Giggs is a year older - and these were out two most creative players, best passers, etc. That's a big hit to the heart of the team and it does weaken us compared with last season. That midfield may not be good enough anymore.
  18. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

+ Rio and Vidic = 8, dummy.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you think we're not strong enough in defense (our most stocked part of the squad) and we are in midfield (our least stocked part of the squad).

Are you just a mathematical idiot or something?
  19. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Cleverley.

Basically Giggs, Anderson, Fletcher missed big parts of last season, and Cleverley's coming into the midfield to replace Scholes. I wouldn't say it's gone up or down much at all to be honest.

Whereas our right back position has 100% gone backwards.

Rafael and Fabio played 52 games between them last season

Brown, Neville and O'Shea played 51.
  20. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Midfield:

Park, Young, Valencia, Giggs, Nani, Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick, Gibson, Obertan, Cleverley

Defence:

Jones, Smalling, Rio, Vidic, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Evra

Both competing for four starting spots.

I see a lot more players able to play more than one position in that midfield as well.
  21. Jul 7, 2011

Gibson wont be here next season (although someone else probably will) and Valencia can play fullback - and Obertan is shit so he doesnt count ;)

so we are pretty much equal then
  22. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

:lol: Gibson is gone. Are you actually counting Obertan who didn't play any real games last year at all?

The wings are well stocked, probably similar to the full back positions.

You think the midfield central 4 - Fletcher, Carrick, Ando and I guess if we're bringing players who 'can' play there in, though it isn't their natural position, a 38 year old Giggs would be the best, is remotely as good as our central back 4, containing the 2 best in the world and the 2 best youngsters in England?

That midfield line-up isn't a patch on the center back lineup.
    Likewise if you put Valencia, Nani and Young in the 'attackers' bracket then the midfield isn't a patch on that either. Actually even without them our 3 strikers are far better.

The midfield is woeful compared to the defense and attack, and yet people want us to spend money on a full-back?
  23. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Sure Valencia can play full back, but if we follow that, then Fabio and Rafael can play wings, and Ferdinand can play CM. (He's had as many games there for United as Valencia's had at full back)

Fact is in midfield we've got an aging Giggs, then other players either coming into or in their prime. In defence we have a lot of young players, but three of them (Rio, Fabio and Rafael) are notoriously injury prone.
  24. Jul 7, 2011

Rowem Full Member

This,

+ we more often play 5 in midfield than 5 in defence

+ a settled back four unit is more important than midfield where variation and rotation are key (you very very rarely see a CB being subbed off mid-game, for example).
  25. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

Well that's bullshit isn't it?

Fletcher was shit last year.
    Cleverly is unproven mostly
    Anderson isn't likely to hit his 'prime' for a while yet.
    Carrick was good last season but not as good as 2/3 seasons ago.
    Giggs is definitely in his prime, I mean come on, he's only 38.
  26. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Obertan played in 15 games last year, including 7 in the league. Jonny Evans played 19 games, including 12 in the league. Genuinely don't see that much of a difference.

And why have you talked about our "midfield four" now. You mentioned midfield before. Not "central midfield", and then you start talking about how solid our centre backs are. There's no complaints from me there either. I think they're the best in the world.

However, as of right now, the right back area is the weakest area in the squad. That's without a doubt for me. Quality and Quantity wise.

We had probably the best midfielder in the league last term (Nani) and Valencia played outstanding when he came back. That's two great midfielders. Ashley Young played centrally last year a lot of the time, and was very good (his assists for the last three years are incredible) We've all seen how well Carrick and Fletcher can play, and we've seen the promise in Gibson.

At right back Fabio and Rafael are two great young players. Very inexperienced, and very injury prone. That's it. That's our right back options.
  27. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Fletcher was far from shit last year, he was not on top form, but also missed a lot of games. Who knows how he would have played

Cleverly is unproven as much as Fabio or Jones are at United to be honest.

Anderson played very well at times last year, and is coming into the age where you want him to kick start his career. It'll be the first time he has had pre season training at the club.

Carrick is a great CM for a top level club.

I said except Giggs. Obviously.
  28. Jul 7, 2011

mufcwarm92 Full Member

Smalling played single game at right back, only for a short period, against Blackpool at home. Granted, he was impressive, but it's hardly proof of his long term reliability there. Evans regularly plays at left back for Northern Ireland, so that is less of a problem, but he's clearly a natural centre half.

Personally, I think we'd be mad to sell O'Shea if we didn't have anyone in mind to replace him, as Rafael, Evra and Fabio surely isn't enough natural full backs in the squad.
  29. Jul 7, 2011

Yes indeed - which for me just shows what a flexible squad we have to cover all eventualities so there is nothing to worry about. Rio is no longer a CM option, that was a long time ago.

I dont really think our defenders are any more injury prone than our midfielders.

I can see an argument which says we might lack a bit of experience in the defence (rio, vidic and evra being the only seniors left) but I dont think there is any issue about numbers.
  30. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

You don't think Rio, Rafael and Fabio are more injury prone than our midfielders? I struggle to agree with that honestly.
  31. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

Obertan is dogshit, everyone knows that, where as Evans has shown how good he can be before and now has less competition to get game time at left back.

I'm talking about our midfield 4 because it's very relevant to the situation, how you can justify saying our RB position, a position that 4 players, Fabio, Rafael, Valencia, Smalling can all play in is in any way a 'weaker' position than that 4 man midfield is absolutely beyond me.
  32. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Because quite simply, Smalling han't played a full match there, and Valencia is quite clearly a winger.

You can classify Rio, Jones, Young and Park as CM's if you're including Valencia and Smalling as one. All of them have played CM more than Smalling has played right back.
  33. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

How can you say that? Fabio played in all our big games in the back end of last season including the CL final, and Jones has played way more games in the PL than Cleverly and looked a better player, surely nobody can argue that.

Fletcher was shit by his standards, and didn't look like a player who can operate very well in a 2 man midfield, Carrick is a "great CM" but did he deliver enough last year on a consistent basis? I think people are basing how good he was on his great games against Chelsea and not really on any others.

Put it this way, who in our midfield played 20 - 30+ games last year and was consistently good throughout? Erm ... nobody, maybe Giggs but like you said he doesn't count.

Now, who in our defense played that amount was was consistently good throughout? Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Rafael, Fabio. That's 5 players, 3 of whom can play right back.
  34. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

You can't include them as CMs unless we're very desperate to use them, and especially not in our preferred 2 man midfield, and that's important to remember, there's TWO or THREEmidfielders used, and ONE full back.
  35. Jul 7, 2011

as a group I dont think our midfielders are any more injury prone than our defenders
  36. Jul 7, 2011

INF-AMOS Full Member

Midfielder's needed more.
  37. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

How many players played 20+ games at right back for United last season and was consistantly good:

O'Shea,
    Rafael

Central Midfielders:
    Giggs,
    Carrick

Cleverley has only played 10 games less in the prem than Phil Jones, and ten times more than Fabio.
  38. Jul 7, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Why can't I use them if you're using Smalling? Jones and Young certainly played more in CM last year than Smalling played right back.
  39. Jul 7, 2011

buckooo1978 Full Member

i think we a well prepared for the new season at GK, CB, the wide positions and Up front

we need to bring in some top talent in CM as a priority obviously but with us losing Neville, Brown and O Shea and with De Laet going on loan we are weak at full back

i think relying on someone like fletcher to fill in is going to weaken us further in midfield

Even 1 backup player at fullback would be enough
  40. Jul 7, 2011

Cina Warrior Princess

You said yourself Giggs is past it. So on your basis that's 1 for 1, but midfield uses 2 or 3 players, right back is 1, No?

I asked you if Jones is better than Cleverly, do you argue this?

Young didn't play as a CM, that's just bullshit of the highest order, he was basically in Rooneys positions behind the striker which is not a midfield role.

I really think you're just a fecking WUM at times.