New Gary Neville interview

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Paz, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...chester-United-fans-forget-bad-2003-2006.html

This part is fascinating (and something a lot of posters seem to be saying on here in other words):

2. May 16, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Nice to hear a player himself confirm my memory of that long stretch.

It's definitely a rosier picture, more nostalgic for the fans looking back when there were so many trophies involved.
  3. May 16, 2018

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Now you have opened a can of worms.

Those were dire times.
  4. May 16, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

2001-2003 the football was amazing.

I know we lost the league in 01-02, but that was down to replacing Stam with Blanc.

2003-2005 it wasn’t great. I wouldn’t include 2006 because that calendar year was very important. We went on a good run at the start of the year to the end. That gave us the boost for the 06/07 campaign.
  5. May 16, 2018

manutddjw Full Member

He can say what he wants but the football was more exciting. The results weren’t there but at least we had a young Rooney and Ronaldo and others who were allowed to express themselves and get the fans off their feet (as well as frustrate).
  6. May 16, 2018

GM K Full Member

Bang on point. Our fans have either forgotten or chosen not to acknowledge such times under Sir Alex. We have been spoilt and become idealistic. I agree that our football needs to be a lot better but let's stop pretending that we never had very drab periods under the greatest manager ever. Jose should be cut some slack. At least let's give him ome or two more seasons to see how he improves this team. There is no point chopping and changing managers every other season. Our football was nice at the start of this season and parts of last season. The challenge next season is to be more consistent.
  7. May 16, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I suppose you can call making David Bentley and Gamst Pedersen look like Beckham and Giggs exciting. :rolleyes:

We had a handful of memorable performances across those years. It wasn’t great. The media were hounding Fergie, saying he should quit, some fans back them.

Nobody saw 2006/07 coming when we sold Ruud. The doom and gloom was everywhere. Those who say it was obvious things would turn must be psychics. It wasn’t obvious to me.
  8. May 16, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

that was the low point for Fergie with Alan Smith popping up in midfield with Djemba, Kleberson etc....

we were disjointed and the post-Keane/pre-Carrick team weren't great and Rio was banned

at the same time we had a young Ronaldo, a young Rooney, Rio, Scholes, Ruud Giggs who are all more talented than what we have now I would argue.
  9. May 16, 2018

Jazz Full Member

Interesting he never said this during LVG's reign. He always intimated the opposite of what he's saying now.
    A bit hypocritical for me.
  10. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

The thing is we have a much better squad now than in 2003-2006. Contrary to popular belief we have enormous individual quality in the side.

Martial was considered one of the brightest young talents of the game a few years ago. Rashford too. Pogba was considered a world-beater at Juve.

Lukaku, how many strikers at his age are better? Same with Bailly and defenders.

Matic is one of the most dependable CDMs out there. Then you have a proper world-class winger in Sanchez and the best goalkeeper in the world.

You can't have world-class in every position but we have enough of it, coupled with a great width of perfectly decent players like Valencia, Mata, Lingard, Herrera.

2003-2006 were the years of Djemba-Djemba, Liam Miller and Quinton Fortune. We played about as well as you could hope with that team. Now we have a plethora of top attacking talent and are playing dreadfully dreary football.
  11. May 16, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

No the problem is not the results. The problem is the approach and style of football. No-one would be complaining if we at least showed a bit of intent, play on the front foot even if results were a bit below par. There would be a lot of optimism for what might be coming. We don't have a divine right to win the league but with the money that is being spent the least we can expect is decent football.
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  12. May 16, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Anyone remember losing 2-3 against Middlesborough at home in that period? I was just as frustrated in that game as I have been at any time under Mourinho.

I also remember going to OT for the first game of the season a few years later, we beat Villa 1-0 I think and it was truly awful. It was possibly RVN's last season (2006?) and we played some horrible stuff at times.
  13. May 16, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Lukaku or Ruud?
    Rashford or Rooney?
    Martial or Ronaldo?
    Bailey or Ferdinand?
    Mata or Giggs?
    Matic or Keane?
    Pogba or Scholes?
    Herrera or Butt?
    Valencia or Neville?
    Smalling or O’Shea?
    Jones or Brown?
    Rojo Or Silvestre?

It’s not as dreadful as you’d think.

You could call this “the years of Darmian, Shaw, Fellaini and Lindelof”.
  14. May 16, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    And exactly what gives you the right to speak for our entire fanbase?
  15. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

It looks obvious when you're writing down the names but the Keane of those years was steadily declining and definitely not as good as Matic is now. Ronaldo was still a lot of show and not much to show for it and I'd argue that Martial right now is as good as Ronaldo back then. Rio also reached his peak later and spent a good chunk of this current period in drug suspension.

Again with Rashford - you're comparing him to a Rooney who was 18-19 (or still at Everton at the beginning of this period), which makes it much tighter than it looks on paper. Plus you're leaving out Sanchez and De Gea. We have at least as many world-class players now (DDG, Sanchez, Pogba) as we had then (Scholes, Giggs, Rooney in the latter part of the period).

I still maintain that in terms of both depth and individual quality, this side is better than that side and much, much better than Mourinho has us playing.
  16. May 16, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

The football under Fergie was often quite poor from around the time Ronaldo left up until the season when RVP joined. We were grinding out many results. This was around the time when he set some sort of record for never picking the same starting XI in a row.
  17. May 16, 2018

Bocca9978 New Member

Really good read. Like hearing from past players, although it’s hard to see past the pundit in Neville a little bit.

Agree with him in some ways. But 03-06 was when I went to OT every game and some away. I wasn’t as pissed off by the performances then, like I am now. Maybe being there was the difference.

Our squad back then was perfect/good, and winning never seemed as hard work as it does now. Can’t tell if we will win and play well or just be hard to beat anymore. Needs another shake up, last chance for Mourinho to pull this together for me.
  18. May 16, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

It's more exciting because we're always in the title race.

When you have nothing to play you really can't be excited about a match (at least for me personally).
  19. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

We were nowhere near the title race in any of the seasons in question.
  20. May 16, 2018

Marcky411 Full Member

I fully agree. A lot of fans consider the whole team, excluding their favourite player/s and DDG as deadwood and must be moved on. We saw towards the end of last season and the beginning of this season the potential of what this team could be but Jose put the break on at the first challenge, away at Liverpool and since then the football has only got worse. At this moment in time we are playing no better that the second season under LvG.
  21. May 16, 2018

Smores Full Member

This.

I've been banging this drum for a while. It isn't even that period only, most of our seasons we had loads of dull games and if the critics bothered to go look back on here they'd see the same complaints.

That isn't to say we don't need to improve, we do, it's just not as bad and unusual as people think.
  22. May 16, 2018

Smores Full Member

See thats not even idiotic thats intentionally grabbing for a point and failing. No one thinks Liam Miller was part of any team.

Those players hardly played, Fortune played the most but he was hardly dull and not that much worse than Young for me.
  23. May 16, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Not surprised to see people not believing an ex player from a team talking about how this team played. People have become so much entitled to their opinion that they aren't going to believe anyone else.
  24. May 16, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

For a start that’s not true. Our FA Cup semi final winning performance was as dominant as anything that came before. Lingard missed a free header and Rashford messed up a 1v1 that day too.

Second, we don’t know the corner factual. Maybe we’d have won had we attacked but nobody else has. Say we’d have been beaten. Would that not also have knocked our confidence? The difference between a bore draw and a smash and grab was Rom not keeping his shot low. All could’ve been very different.
  25. May 16, 2018

I've always said that Fortune and Young are good comparisons. Similar career arc from attacking left midfielder to left back, good football brains, neither were world class in their positions but absolutely reliable (when fit) and both model professionals.
  26. May 16, 2018

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

That was a bad patch, with the absolute ground zero being a couple of games against Lille in 2005. Remember Fergie's post match interview after one of those and the guy genuinely seemed lost. I'd never seen him looking despondent before, there was always some emotion, but not then. We were awful back then.
  27. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

I don't think you can argue that the standards were lower in that period and we fielded a lot of average players, which is reflected in Fergie's signings, Roy Carroll, David Bellion, Alan Smith, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson and yes, Liam Miller (who didn't play much but was bought as an heir to Roy Keane). Darren Fletcher also played more than he was ready for at the time and then you had Silvestre as a regular.
  28. May 16, 2018

2002/2003 season, we earned 2 more points than this season with the same goal difference, only won the league.
    2003/2004 season, we earned 6 less points than this season with an 11 goal worse goal difference, scoring less goals and came third.
    2004/2005 season, we earned 5 less points than this season with an 8 goal worse goal difference, scoring much fewer goals and came third.
    2005/2006 season, we earned 2 points more than this season with a worse goal difference and came second.

So in comparison to this season, on average over that period we earned less points, scored less goals and had a worse goal difference. In 02/03 our points total from this season would have won us the league by 3 points.
  29. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

It's the fickleness of football fans, and surprisingly often managers as well, that makes them think great players have suddenly turned poor when they're not performing because they're playing in a dysfunctional team.

I am convinced that if we sold Martial to City, he would instantly prove himself to be one of the biggest attacking talents in the game again. His close control is up there with the very best, and I see no reason to think he couldn't play as well as Sané.

Same with Pogba at Real Madrid/Barcelona/City/Liverpool.

That's not to say the players are innocent. I have been extremely frustrated with Pogba's penchant for Hollywood passes and Martial's sulking attitude and low work-rate isn't helping him. But the quality is there. We all need to be inspired in order to perform to the best our ability.
  30. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

I'm not trying to be provocative but I'm actually not sure what point you're making here?
  31. May 16, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    It wouldn't matter what followed this bit in bold, it's not true. There will always be people complaining. I am optimistic.
  32. May 16, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

Neville is right, the football wasn't always good under Sir Alex.
  33. May 16, 2018

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

But what about The United Way? You're not suggesting that the media peddles that phrase to shine a negative light on the current regime and shift papers/ generate clicks are you?!
  34. May 16, 2018

kps88 Full Member

We were complaining about zombie football as we strolled to a league title. People will always complain.
  35. May 16, 2018

The same point the thread is discussing, the point Neville's quotes are making. That life wasn't always exciting under SAF, between cycles we had periods where the football wasn't anything to reminisce about and that is where we are right now.

Ask most fan on here and they will tell you that our fullbacks aren't good enough, our centre backs need upgrading, we need another controlling midfielder to play both alongside Matic and give him the occasional break and our right wing just is not good enough.

They will also bitch and moan that the football Mourinho has us playing is just not good enough.

My argument is that despite the aforementioned deficiencies in the squad, Mourinho got us to second place, second only to a record breaking City team with a world class manager who started with a better squad than us and has since spent 50% more money than us and we will play our third cup final in two seasons and hopefully make it three out of three.

He's done his job so far and has focused on results rather than idealistic playing styles and entertainment.

Next season and with the weaknesses I have mentioned addressed over the summer, I expect us to be a machine. Much more goals and much more entertaining.
  36. May 16, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

For months Gaz couldn't stop talking about the United way, how everything was perfect under SAF etc. His criticism caught Mourinho's attention who hit back. Now he came up with this interview which I fully agree upon but does seem strange coming from one of the biggest suckers of the United way. What had changed? Maybe someone is aiming for Faria's job?
  37. May 16, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

That's Gary Neville on the job, he usually peddles a narrative when on commentary or as a pundit. He's much more sensible outside of that environment.
  38. May 16, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

That's fair enough although I think there's more to it tbh. Mourinho love having an inside man as assistant. He had Beppe Baresi at Inter and Karanka at Real. I won't be surprised if Gaz want to return at OT as assistant manager especially after his 'experience/parody at Valencia.
  39. May 16, 2018

edgar allan Full Member

Another difference is that the rest of our competitors didn't have loads of world class players either and certainly the rest of the league didn't have the huge Tv income that enables them to bring in more competitive squads also.
  40. May 16, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

And who has had two seasons to turn that around?

Who signed Bailly and Lindelof? Who refused to get rid of Darmian and Blind? We could have signed atleast one fullback in that time by getting rid of those two.

Mourinho isn’t blameless.

Not every squad is perfect. I don’t get this new myth of how you need world class centre backs to play attacking football. On my earlier point in this thread, when we sold Stam in 2001, we still played great football. Liverpool with Lovren are capable of playing attacking football.

Losing to all three promoted teams and West Brom isn’t about money. Losing to Sevilla isn’t about money.

The issue is we didn’t even give City a game at Old Trafford. That was our chance to put pressure on them. We let them score from two set pieces. Which we looked dodgy from all season despite being one of the biggest sides in the premier league. That’s a coaching issue.