New Gary Neville interview

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Paz, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018

Witchking Full Member

2006 should not be counted as disappointing in my opinion. We went out of the CL in December. After the 3-4 loss to Blackburn rovers, we went on a pretty great run with only 1 draw and no losses till the Chelsea game and won the League Cup. 2006 was when we brought Vidic and Evra who formed our best defensive group with Ferdinand and Neville, and Brown whenever Neville was absent.

Underachievement is what showed that we have a more capable team who can and might do better. Same situation we are in now, where we know that this team can play much better and show more of what they are made of.

There was no doubt about Fergie ever quitting and no one thought that he should during those times. Whereas, even with a promising team of talent and pace, many think that the team might be shackled with Jose's tactics and might improve if he give some leeway to be more attacking or leaves United.
  2. May 16, 2018

Witchking Full Member

So Jose should be fired if united don't win the title next season?

EDIT: Just saw that you meant trophies. But point still stands, if Jose doesn't win the league next season and it is more or less the same as it was with this season, how many would want him to continue? Not many i guess.
  3. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

But this point assumes that the best way to get results is to be cautious and conservative. I don't believe that. For one thing, I am convinced that we would have beaten Sevilla if we had simply played our own game instead of trying to adapt to an inferior side. We have more than enough attacking talent to be dominating 90 per cent of our matches and creating way more chances. And generally, chances lead to goals, and goals lead to wins.
  4. May 16, 2018

Paz ex-Goldman Sachs Janitor, Martial hater

Short because, quite simply, league position is all that matters IMO. True benchmark of a team (as per your example).
  5. May 16, 2018

Thepinhead Full Member

You could also ask yourself. If we play more attack minded football next season but don't win any trophy. Would you want Mourinho to continue then?
  6. May 16, 2018

Jev Full Member

I think it's a very simplistic view. Liverpool have shown a higher ceiling in their performances this season and thus have more to build on and be optimistic about going into next season. There's also every chance that they would have finished above us had they not been focused on the Champions League during the run-in.
  7. May 16, 2018

Thepinhead Full Member

I'm not against you in regards to wanting to play a bit more agressive. I just don't think we have the players for it yet.
  8. May 16, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Did you see the 1-0 away defeat to City in that season? That was much more cowardly than any game I've seen under Mourinho so far. Went in to that game with a 3 point advantage but behind on goal difference. We played to not lose, and that lasted less than 45 minutes, and after that we still didn't know what to do. We'd have won the league if we'd have avoided defeat, but we didn't even try to win it.

Losing on away goals to Bayern in the CL was pretty rough too. Rooney went off injured in the 2nd leg just after half time, and we didn't bring on another striker until after the 80th minute. Somehow we didn't immediately react when Robben scored and still kept playing without a striker.

There were numerous gutless performances under Fergie where it looked like we didn't want to win or know how.
  9. May 16, 2018

GailSpaceWynand Yes, I signed up with this name.

We were really terrible; made some bad signings as well.
  10. May 16, 2018

The Kag New Member

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but at least I was fraught with anticipation each week because I got to see the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney play (especially the former). Granted, I was a Ronaldo believer the moment he made his debut against Bolton, so watching him progress was quite the site. I recall users on here demanding we replace him with esteemed stars such as Steed Malbranque. Steed Malbranque. Nowadays, bar De Gea, there aren't any individuals at United that fill me with excitement or promise like players of yesteryear. Combine that with the diabolically tedious, humdrum football and it's recipe for a nice afternoon nap. At least players like Alan Smith dared to give a shit (that performance in midfield against Chelsea was quite memorable).
  11. May 16, 2018

elnorte Freaky fly day

You'll soon have the (dubious) honour of having your name invoked in this thread.
  12. May 16, 2018

The Kag New Member

Don't have permission to view the thread, but I imagine it's due to the fact that Kagawa was a bit of a flop. Isn't there another user on here with a similar name? At least it's not a Moyes related...
  13. May 16, 2018

vangagal Full Member

Is that you Mad Winger?
  14. May 16, 2018

The Kag New Member

Ah, the Kagawa worshiper. Had to consult Google for that one. Nope, can't say that it is. I was a fan of Kagawa at the time and thought he was a tidy player, but I was never obsessed with him. That, and I needed a new username. I had another account more than a decade ago, but one day I logged in and it said I was banned in perpetuity. It was odd since I only made a handful of posts, and none of them were offensive or egregious! I tried to contact the mods, but never got a reply back.
  15. May 16, 2018

GM K Full Member

I am not speaking for anyone. I am expressing my opinion as a fan. If you have a contrary one, express it. It's a forum that allows for contradictory views, right?
  16. May 16, 2018

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Agreed. The second half of 12/13 was rather dull but we were shipping so many goals in the first half I think Fergie just wanted to focus on clean sheets.
  17. May 16, 2018

Witchking Full Member

Yes. I would want him to stay.
  18. May 16, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Ok. I can certainly say that I am not a spoilt fan and my criticism of mou has nothing to do with being spoilt. I simply want to see entertaining football and see that as being more important than trophies. I'm sure I speak for many on here.

The Mou critics could just as easily paint the loyalists as 'top reds', virtue-signaling narcissists desperate to show what great fans they are by spouting tired clichés about supporting the manager. It's a childish, lazy stereotype but it's no less valid than this constant 'spoilt' jibes Mou's supporters spout on here.
  19. May 16, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

We scored 72 goals in 2005/06(in the league) and we"ve scored 68 goals this season...We"ve scored way more this season than we did in 04 and 05...
  20. May 16, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

The club obviously doesn't feel this way.If they felt that entertainment was as important(let alone more) as winning trophies,then they quite simply would not have appointed Jose.By appointing Jose the club made a clear choice-Getting back to the top and winning trophies is way more important than entertaining football.I agree with the decision taken by the club so I"m not going to waste any time cribbing on the style of play.

Do I like the style of play?No.But am I willing to tolerate it if it means trophies,consistent CL football plus eventually winning the title?Yes...
  21. May 16, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Fair play. Each to their own and all that, completely respect your POV. It's just the abuse and playground insults you see in these debates that winds me up.
  22. May 16, 2018

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

Nah, it's just lazy punditry for the most part. The phrase is so well worn that it's just become a go-to whenever we don't play well. Guaranteed some dumb arse like Redknapp or Merson will wheel it back out the next time we have a dull 0-0 next season.
  23. May 17, 2018

GM K Full Member

Fair enough, mate. Fair enough.
    Just to be clear, yes, I support Jose unreservedly. First because he is our manager, secondly because I believe he has earned the right over the years to be respected as a manager and thirdly because I think he has done well at United so far minus our playing style which I believe needs improving.
    Nevertheless, I am a strong advocate of people having a right to their views and respecting them for it. People who don't like Jose have a right not to and also the right to express their opinions in that regard. For those who do so while being objective, open and respectful of others, I have the highest regard. The variance in opinions and positions is what makes this forum and even our entire planet tick. I am very fine with that. So, just in case you read another post from me, put it within this context.