Next Ballon d’Or?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Andy_Cole, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

wr8_utd :'(

The guy who won it today and last year won it because his team won the bigger trophies. That's how it with these awards. It's a reward for the best player/top scorer of the best team and not necessirily the best player.
  2. Dec 7, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    The majority of Argentina's national team plays in Europe. There are about 5 Argentinians who play for Zenit alone (Paredes, Rigoni, Driussi, Kranevitter, Mammana).

You are just spouting cliches. All this talk about South Americans struggling in a European World Cup would have been relevant 50 years ago, when their national team came almost exclusively from their domestic league.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

wr8_utd :'(

And Courtois and Lloris are better than De Gea.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    It's going to be the most open race in over a decade, plenty of players have a chance but it just feels like it will be Neymar since he's bound to get one and I can see him taking Brazil to glory.

If he's by far the best in the world then he has to prove it in the big games and in the biggest competitions, consistency over the year will matter but next year with the World Cup it's more important to step up at the right time rather than being great week in week out. His team is more than good enough to win any competition they're in too, both club and national team. Barcelona played away at Juventus with no Messi and still dominated the match from what people here were saying.
  5. Dec 7, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

Next one? Messi should end up with more seeing as he's the best ever. If we're talking the next winner who isn't Messi or Ronaldo then Neymar probably.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

Ronaldo and Messi are the obvious ones, but you'd expect someone who wins world cup and does well in CL.

Neymar
    Muller
    Kane
    Aguero
    De Bruyne
    Pogba
    Isco
    Hazard
  7. Dec 7, 2017

gibers Full Member

Mbappe has a chance if PSG do well and he stars in the WC and France wins. It all depends on timing and narrative tbh.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

No i believe Harry Kane is, but i also respect the collective voice of football and the collective voice said Ronaldo has proved himself to be the best player in the world just as he was judged to be the best player in the world last year.

If people don't respect competition and events as a means of proving who the best is then there's no point of leagues/Champions Leagues/World Cups and we should just rate teams on paper over teams actually 'proving' themselves to be the best.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    If one or both of Barca/RM make the CL final it’ll be between Ronaldo and Messi again. If not and one of the other top teams make it, it’ll be a player from that side.

That’s assuming Messi and Ronaldo begin gradually declining and aren’t the same powerhouse godly players they have been in the past. If that’s the case, then I can see a changing of the guard where the automatic Messi-Ronaldo Ballon d’Or days come to an end and the beginning of a new era gets under way with different finalists/front runners.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

gibers Full Member

So that's their opinion then. Owen has the same amount of Ballon D'ors as Zidane I guess they were equals as well...
  11. Dec 7, 2017

yumtum DUX' bumchum

I'd agree with this, think Mbappe is the next in line to Messi/Ronaldo because I think he's going to equal anything Neymar does at PSG and has a better chance at a world cup with France being a better team than Brazil.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

He has scored 9 goals and 6 assists so far. Unless he like triples those numbers, he wont be in the conversation. Martial has those numbers right now.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

Also the wc will be in the russian summer when the temperatures will be close to zero in many parts of South America.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

gibers Full Member

it's calendar year. If france win the wc and he dominates the cl next year he has a chance. it's all about timing.
  15. Dec 7, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

One thing is a fact: the only time a South American nt won the wc in Europe was Brazil in Sweden 1958.
    Europeans are favorites in Europe for sure.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

deafepl Full Member

There are many factors that journalist voted players based on trophies. For an example, Ramos is not one of the world's best defenders and there are many defenders that are much better than him but no, he was voted based on winning La Liga, Champions League and Spanish Super Cup, he finished in sixth place as Ballon d'Or, it is an absolutely jokes. Ballon d'Or has lost its value. Journalists don't rate player's performance, they care about player's popularity, trophies, goal stats and perhaps play for the best team.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

It's going to mainly depend on the WC unless Real 3-peat the CL.

So Neymar probably has the biggest chance.
  18. Dec 7, 2017

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Sergio Ramos absolutely is arguably the best center back in the world. He's a brilliant all around defender. Sure he used to not be great defensively when he was younger (like a lot), but go back 5-6 years and people were saying Marcelo was a bit shit. Things change and Ramos is definitely up there with any center back.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

deafepl Full Member

Ffs, you need to watch him.
  20. Dec 7, 2017

RedStrudel76 Banned

And that is exactly why these individual awards in team sports are pointless, as the judging panel put more weight into the team trophies won rather than what the individual (which is what the award should be for, not the team). It makes Ronaldo fans get giddy when in reality most football experts and the players themselves STILL think Messi is better. And that is something Ronaldo's massive ego can never get his head around, how another footballer can be loved.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

Sigma Full Member

Neymar
  22. Dec 7, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    I was finding the lack of serious meltdowns a bit weird...

The players and football experts themselves think Messi was better and yet Ronaldo won the Best award voted by captains and managers from all over the world by a huge margin.
  23. Dec 8, 2017

RedRonaldo Full Member

Messi or Meymar. But depends on who wins the WC, or even CL.
  24. Dec 8, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    If PSG win CL and France win the World cup you'd think Mbappe would have a significant say in both achievements.

Bold prediction but I'll go for him. More logical choice is Neymar though. Isn't that part of the reason he want to PSG to give him better chance away from Messi?
  25. Dec 8, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Essentially this.

If Barca and/or RM reach CL finals u bet Ronaldo and Messi will most likely be top3 finalists. If PSG makes it to at least the Semis in the CL Neymar automatically will be beside them. And depending on WC success, Mbappe can find his way into the discussion as well and there will be a shuffling between those players depending on how things play out. Generally speaking, that’s what the general rule of thumb will be.

Very long shot: if United somehow win CL and Spain wins WC and DDG keeps playing the way he is, could make a bit of history and leapfrog all those names mentioned. Likelihood? Highly unlikely. Just saying tho hahaha
  26. Dec 8, 2017

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Keeper hardly ever wins it.

Pogba would probably be in the shake up if Man. United dominated the competitions.
  27. Dec 8, 2017

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Lewandowski

Currently running at a goal a game in Bundesliga and 3 in 5 in CL.

Reckon Bayern will quietly navigate their way through to the CL final. Complete the treble (again) & Heynckes will retire as a God.
  28. Dec 8, 2017

SER19 Full Member

World Cup will be key,

I'd lean to Neymar If Brazil do it combined with psg run to semi and obvious league title win.

Fun outside shouts would be if we managed a shock champions league and then the player in question had a good/great World Cup:
    De gea
    Pogba
  29. Dec 8, 2017

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

I hope Ronaldo and Messi finish on equal Ballon d'Ors. I think both have proved themselves the best in the world in different seasons. It would be fitting for them to finish tied and the fans of each argue for the rest of time who was better. I think that would be perfect.
  30. Dec 8, 2017

MrBest Full Member

I think mbappe time will come in a few years and he will be vying with dembelle for that title. I'd be suprised if ali and kane stay at spurs. If they move on to a team like Madrid, they have a great chance.

From the United team i wouldnt rule out martial, immense talent and I believe we will see a surge in his performance over the next 18 months. He's 22 now, ready and hungry. Rashford maybe in a few years and of course pogba providing he builds on his consistent start to this season. I highly doubt ddg will win it, goalkeepers just don't get they deserves credit anymore.

Other teams; kevin de bruyne, Jesus,sterling and sane all have a real chance. Hazard for Chelsea, salah an outside chance but is dependent on how liverpool do, dyballa although i feel he needs a move away from Juventus to win it.

Saying this I think Messi will win it next year, had a good start to the season scored bags of goals and will drive argentina to semis of world cup. Neymar should finish 2nd as I think Ronaldo is on that decline. He will still be a top 10 player for a few years though.
  31. Dec 8, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Unfortunately for Messi at this stage of his career, it’s either WC or bust. No grey area for him. It’s just the cards he’s been dealt with how things have gone for him internationally in the past.
  32. Dec 8, 2017

MrBest Full Member

Fair point, but I think messi means more than trophies to most people. Goal scorer team player ... assuming he wins the league and a cup I think he has a excellentbchnace of winning again. He will be the first name on most people lips as per usual
  33. Dec 8, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Yup very well could be the case as well.

Really looking forward to the next Ballon d’Or in general. Will definitely be a lot more interesting and up in the air compared to the past decade of dominance from the usual suspects lol. I’m sure most football fans will appreciate the changing of the guard if the time comes and is meant to be.
  34. Dec 8, 2017

Darkpulse Full Member

You speak this almost as if it were the truth and not a complete opinion. The only truth we know about the winner is that he is decided by a voting process where a group of former players/managers/other people related to the game vote. The only clue with regards to the criteria is in the title of the award itself. Occam's razor should give an idea as to whether all of these voters were given a very specific criteria (best player in the team with the most honours, etc) as opposed to a simple ”vote for the player who you think deserved the Balloon d'or this year". Consider that there would hardly be any other factors such as loss of credibility or reputation when choosing one or the other, due to the greatness of both players.

For the record I admire Messi, and can only marvel at the things he can do with a ball, and will probably have to grudgingly admit that he has been the better player in general. However, by association of the wonderful memories that Cristiano has provided during his stint with us, I will always prefer that he win the reward, it is just human nature for me. And thus I am fecking delighted that he won it this year.
  35. Dec 8, 2017

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

Think you need to check who the player of the year is again (and has been for a while).

If Portugal win the world cup and Madrid win either the CL or PL, it could very well be Ronaldo again. Same for Messi with Barca and Argentina.
  36. Dec 8, 2017

RedStrudel76 Banned

This is Ronaldo's fans defense for everything now.. first it was "stats say Ronaldo has scored the most" now it's "Ballon d'Or says Ronaldo is the best" not that he is fortunate he plays in the most successful team.. all kind of hollow, really. What happened to watching a footballer play on the field and judging them for yourselves down the pub? now it's all stats says, awards says etc by the Ronaldo internet generation fans now use to shut down healthy debate and try to win arguements by thinking that by rehashing stats and who won what it will settle the debate and theres no comeback.. I don't need to read stats, who won what awards (like insecure Ronaldo fans do because they are incapable of having a debate on who's the best without bringing up goal stats, awards) to see Messi is the better FOOTBALLER with my own eyes, I accept Ronaldo might be the better goal-scorer slightly, but when you consider Messi's amazing passing vision, his dribbling etc he is lightyears ahead of Ronaldo as a pure footballer and natural talent.

So funny, you try to use that "Ballon d'Or award people said" or the "stats say because Ronaldo scored the most goals he's the best" down the local British pub you'd get laughed out of the joint, and rightly so.

Regardless of what some award says, most people agree Messi is STILL the best.. go and read serious football forums, not this biased view from Manchester United fans because Ronaldo played for the club before leaving us when he was at his peak for what he perceived as a bigger club.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  37. Dec 8, 2017

TotalFootballOne Banned

I have a feeling it'll be Neymar. They have a really good PSG side that can push far if not win the CL, as well as I see Brazil getting far in the WC and maybe even winning it.
  38. Dec 8, 2017

Micky Targaryen New Member

Pogba.

CL trophy with United and the World Cup with France. :devil:
  39. Dec 8, 2017

anant Full Member

Dude if that happens, it'll go down as the greatest season for any player. How often has this even happened- Winning league, CL and WC!
  40. Dec 8, 2017

Hawks2008 Full Member

If France win and he has a big tournament, he still might not win it. It's usually given to the player that does the best in CL knockout rounds.