Next Premier League TV rights estimate

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Trizy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jan 25, 2018

Trizy Full Member

According to the Mirror, the next PL TV rights are estimated at around £6bn. Which is up a whopping 17% on the current deal of £5.14bn. Source.

With Amazon also mentioned to join the party I reckon it could be even more than £6.2bn. Especially when you throw BeIN Sport into the mix as they are hoovering up everything.

This will be great for the league in my opinion as more and more teams add more quality as their direct European equivalents cannot compete with them financially. This will lead to even more popularity and even bigger deals in the future not to mention more exposure which in turn will create higher sponsorship deals.

When will the bubble burst (if ever)?

Conclusion:
    Make allll the money sign alll the players!
  2. Jan 25, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

the more people showing games means having to have more memberships and extra cost. this is getting stupid
  3. Jan 25, 2018

Devil_forever You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever

Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
    Sky and BT’s recent channel sharing agreement will ensure that they won’t be bidding against each other in the same way they did last time. As for Amazon’s much hyped entry, look at Amazon’s recent sports rights bids, its been at best for 10s of millions. They’re not about to drastically change up their strategy.

I would be surprised if the rights went for the same amount, let alone anything remotely higher.

EDIT: just realised that there'll be more games auctioned this time around. Even so I think on a like to like basis the amount will stay the same if not go down this time around.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  4. Jan 25, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Pretty much this. It's bad enough having to pay through the nose for 2 platforms, and still having to find a Russian stream for a 3pm kick off.

I'd like to see clubs be able to offer TV season tickets, so you can see every game of your team, like you can get via NFL Game Pass. I only want to watch United games, but I've got to buy the whole lot across 2 providers, and I still can't watch every United game. Fortunately United are on TV more than most. TV Sports is a raw deal if you support anyone outside of the top 6.
  5. Jan 25, 2018

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner Staff

Jose Mourinho's Manchester United Pencil Case
    How can you be so sure? What if they are drastically more interested in the rights?
  6. Jan 25, 2018

sewey89 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

There are more games available, including a whole new package of games, if i'm not mistaken? Surely the price is going to go up.
  7. Jan 25, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

The price will definitely go up, for certain. Sky Sports went up even though they lost the Champions League, so if there's more games then I dread to think how much it will increase by.

Are they going ahead with the 3 games on Saturdays now? Lunchtime, late afternoon, evening?
  8. Jan 25, 2018

Devil_forever You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever

Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
    Even if they were I don't think their bid will offset the loss due to less competition between sky and BT.

I would welcome Amazon doing something insane and getting the bulk of the rights. Would happily pay for Amazon prime sport, would probably still work out cheaper than my current sky plus bt sport subscription anyway.
  9. Jan 25, 2018

sewey89 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Firstly - Apologies, I didn't mean to quote your tweet! Was after the one above! :lol:

Secondly - I've heard that on midweek/bank holiday fixture dates, that ALL games would be available?

Not sure about Saturdays
  10. Jan 25, 2018

buchansleftleg Full Member

There is a whiff of decay about Sky these days - Their popularity is dependant on a few shows that are reaching the end of their time and they have not provided good replacements. I can see them calling a truce and agreeing a match-share deal with BT. Whether this is above board or a private under the counter deal i'm not sure.

I'd be surprised if Sky went for a deal with any of the streaming services, as that is what is stealing their business. A younger Rupert Murdoch might have made such a deal happen but not so sure he would be ready for a big step like that now - seems to just be looking to merge and sell their way out of trouble.

The interesting thing will be BT's approach to this . They could go for a truce or they might smell blood and try and kill Sky off.
  11. Jan 25, 2018

cyberman Full Member

This is the reason UEFA needs to be careful with strict financial regulations etc.
    The EPL clubs should and would walk away from any ruling that dilutes the quality of the league. The money involved is too ridiculous to risk just because Madrid etc are feeling the pinch.
    Im just waiting on whispers of sharing the tv rights as a bundle throughout the major leagues in Europe.
  12. Jan 25, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

Continually subsidizing competitors. :(
  13. Jan 25, 2018

NotBrendanRodgers honest Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Clubs become richer and richer yet ticket prices stay the same or increase... Some of the extra PL money should go towards reducing ticket prices and regenerating areas around the clubs, because without the fans there is no PL. Sadly that won't happen though, instead the players and agents will just pocket much more money
  14. Jan 25, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

Yep definitely needs to be some sort of system like this where people who only want to watch their own team only have to pay for that and can see every game.
  15. Jan 25, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

If both Sky and BT agree to continue to share rights then it will be hard to beat them, unless Amazon share with Bein sport, or someone else. Nice to see competition and loads of money around. Give the smaller clubs a chance to compete.
  16. Jan 25, 2018

DanClancy Full Member

Thats only the domestic deal though, would be amazed not to see far more growth in the international deal. I'd expect the overall growth of the TV monies to be at least 25%.
  17. Jan 25, 2018

Nanook Full Member

A 40-60% is expected in international TV rights and 10-15% in the domestic rights.

Foreign rights are currently £1.07bn per season so they should increase to £1.5bn - £1.7bn.

UK rights are £1.72bn and under the next TV deal it will probably be £1.85 - £1.95bn.
  18. Jan 25, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Yup.
  19. Jan 25, 2018

Danny Roberts Full Member

I think there is a long way to go for the PL yet. In US sports almost every game is televised, maybe every game is. If one of the online people does come in for the next round then £6bn+ is certain, possibly even £7bn. My mate's an agent. cnut!
  20. Jan 25, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

Yes, all bank holiday/midweek matches to circumvent the issue of moving games to different time slots.

There is a Saturday evening slot, I'm not sure how many games though.
  21. Jan 25, 2018

Oscie Full Member

I hope the traditional broadcasters have their monopoly broken. If Amazon or Netflix get in on the game it'll be great news for consumers.
  22. Jan 25, 2018

DanClancy Full Member

Not sure about that, will mean the consumer spending more money on subscriptions.
  23. Jan 25, 2018

Oscie Full Member

The sooner companies that can soak up the cost for purposes of promoting their wider services without batting an eyelid vs channels that have no economic choice but to pass the increasing cost directly onto the consumer, the better the model will be for fans.
  24. Jan 25, 2018

doomy20 Full Member

I hope the screening shifts more and more into streaming platforms/online publisher. Nobody needs a 50 fifty bucks per month sky showing like 3 games on TV. In our country there´s this new streaming platform ("netflix of sports") showing tons of games all across europe + US sports for less than 10 bucks a month.
  25. Jan 25, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

It’s a surprise the ticket prices haven’t gone up, to expect them to go down is frankly unrealistic
  26. Jan 25, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Football is entering late stage capitalism, or what I like to call Americanism, where every single possible option will be exhausted to squeeze money out of consumers to the detriment of the game and quality of entertainment
  27. Jan 25, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

It really hasn't got anywhere near there yet, there's a LOT more that can be done to profit maximise.
  28. Jan 25, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

Quite. and what about if someone like Google steps in with it's squillions of dollars
  29. Jan 25, 2018

Angry Virginian New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    The price will continue to go up. Sports in one of the only few things that people still watch live in the age of Netflix and the likes.
  30. Jan 25, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Where is the incentive for broadcasters to do that? So long as fans continue to buy packages they're going to continue to go down that route. Why offer a cheaper, 38 game package when people are willing to pay more for a larger one? Ultimately, if you've got access to more football you'll watch more football, and with that comes higher advertising revenues.
  31. Jan 25, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

I remember when Sky started showing football they had some games that were PPV. thought it worked quite well
  32. Jan 25, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

It's a bit shite in Britain, that football fans can't watch 3pm games 'LIVE' in the UK, yet overseas countries can, hence all the streams.

I'm not for Amazon or Netflix getting in on the act, gave my views on this in the past, it's only the consumers who'll suffer. But if they did, why can't the Premier League award the rights to some 3pm kick-off games that Sky or BT don't have the rights to?
  33. Jan 25, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

Yep it’s not going to change while people are willing to pay extortionate prices. Say I’m a West Brom fan for example, I’m paying x amount for sky sports, x amount for BT sports and (don’t know exact figures?) but barely any of my teams games are on, surely there’s a market for someone like Amazon or Netflix to come in and offer people the option to watch all the matches they want and to pay for them and not have to pay for matches they couldn’t care less about. And another thing, that Saturday 3pm law needs scrapping too.
  34. Jan 25, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Supply and demand. If less fans show to watch matches, clubs will decrease their prices. When you have waiting lists for season tickets, the only surprise if how the tickets aren't getting more expensive.
  35. Jan 25, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

The optimist scenario on this gives the top clubs circa 250m pounds from TV. Suck it, Madrid.
  36. Jan 25, 2018

Blue doomer New Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Unfortunately you are spot on, They could double that next tv deal but nothing will be fed back down to us, the fans.
  37. Jan 25, 2018

Oscie Full Member

The reality is, I'd guess, well in excess of 50% of fans who can't attend games that aren't televised, watch it live somehow or other. Many of us pay for the guarantee (warning: not a guarantee) of a good quality stream during match days. Always seemed utterly nonsensical for the actual originator of the content to not be making a penny out of the live rights to those matches for the UK market when there's more than a willingness to pay.

Seems nuts

"Take my money!"
    No!

It could actually be a decent way for an Amazon or a Netflix to get into the market. For an additional 'add on' to your subscription you get the 'other' games. All of 170 of them. It won't happen though because people in charge seem to think it's still 2001 and anyone gives a flying monkey's toss about highlights or 'goals to your mobile'. It's lucrative enough now but I don't think it's good in the long-run that the league is seemingly so blind to new technologies.

I know dozens of football fans, I don't know a single one who cares about 'goals to your mobile' to the point that I'd be quite sure barely any of them even know such a service exists and would forget about its existence about 2 minutes after finding out. Yet the Premier League think it's some kind of revolutionary service. As if someone just bought Richard Scudamore a Nokia 3310 and he's mind blown by Snake. Huge risk looking over the next 10 years or so that it could be left behind. Especially with a younger generation that streams everything and isn't as attached to traditional broadcast media as the older ones.
  38. Jan 25, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

The trouble is Amazon will have to win the rights to every game to offer that service, which isn't going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense for TV broadcasters to offer it either.

Agreed about the law. It's outdated. Besides, a hell of a lot of people don't want to to go to the game and are quite happy to watch it from home.

They changed it for a reason though.
  39. Jan 25, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah I agree from a business perspective it does make sense to increase prices, but businesses should be ethical imo and not always focus on maximising profits. I genuinely think the atmosphere at games in the PL has drastically been declining over the past 10-15 years as more tourists or day trip fans are given tickets over the more local fans who have generations of support built up and more likely know all the songs etc
  40. Jan 25, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

It was called prem plus. 50 extra games for £50. I used to go half each with my Dad when I still lived at home.