Neymar Jr | PSG | 2017/2018 performances

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VorZakone, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Jul 7, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yup, people kept on saying he was the 3rd best player, yet in my mind he still has a lot to prove to be elevated above quite a few players. In addition to this he brings a lot of circus and seem to want everything to be about him. Not long ago people were laughing at the idea that someone could value Kane or Salah ahead of him, but for me I'd pick those two every day of the week.
  2. Jul 7, 2018

Stacks Full Member

How so. Ronaldinho scored 2 assisted 3 which is similar contribution to Rivaldo in terms of goals provided. I don't see why Ronaldinho has to be judged on 2 consecutive world cups when no other Brazilian is.
  3. Jul 7, 2018

Bobski Full Member

His diving and playacting backfired in this WC. The body language of the refs towards him by the end was illuminating, they were sick of him, not willing to give him anything easy, waving hands at him to get up, almost as if they wanted to send a message to him about his antics.
  4. Jul 7, 2018

SuperiorXI Full Member

Wanker who talked too much and is going home.
  5. Jul 7, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

I refuse to believe anyone who followed that WC can ask that question.

Rivaldo in 98 was also pretty good.
  6. Jul 7, 2018

Fenomeno9 Full Member

Ronaldinho was important in the 2002 World Cup. I’m not gonna act like he didn’t contribute. In saying that, for his talent and ability he was average for Brazil overall.
  7. Jul 7, 2018

Stacks Full Member

Because he is a party boy with no hunger. The fact he stopped turning up to training tells you something. Having won a world cup so young, league titles, world player of the year, what more for him is there to get motivated for? Friday night is party night
  8. Jul 8, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

And it's still a laughable opinion.

Neymar has proven himself far more than both of them.

It's not even close.
  9. Jul 8, 2018

Doctor Tornasol Full Member

Supports:
    Football
    I think after this World Cup his international reputation is ruined. He still going to be considered a world class player of course, but a joke of a world class player, doing things he doesn't need to do when one has that immense quality. Dumb. I never have seen so much laugh at a player, I mean, it's an obvious effect in this "meme" era, but I see a vast majority of people all over the net from any country laughing at him rather than feeling sad for him or supporting him. He wasn't clever, a World Cup is so big it makes half the planet keep an eye on it, discovering a lot of players they don't see that much even if they know about them, even for people who doesn't follow football regularly.

That said, sorry, I know it's wrong, but I have to post this, is one of the best ones I've seen in a while, even when this meme is dead, only Neymar could make him back :lol:

10. Jul 8, 2018

automaticflare Full Member

Absolute weasel
  11. Jul 8, 2018

Red-Jeff Full Member

Needs to cut out the play acting but the guy is obviously next in line behind Ronaldo and Messi. An extremely talented player with the will and confidence to back it up.
  12. Jul 8, 2018

Shaun Oldman Banned

People are being blinded by their dislike of him as a person.

He was absolutely insane for PSG last season, that is, or shouldn't be, in doubt. I've thing I would say though is his decision making in the world cup was poor, he replaced effective forward play with "for the sake of it" showmanship.
  13. Jul 8, 2018

Wumminator The Special One!

Harry Kane has scored 105 goals in the league in four seasons. He is likely to be the Golden Boot winner this year.

It's not laughable to compare him with Neymar at all.
  14. Jul 8, 2018

Red-Jeff Full Member

Kane is a better goal scorer but Neymar is the much better playmaker of the two. For the sake of a stupid hypothetical that will never happen - if I were building a team and could only pick one, it would be Neymar and easily.
  15. Jul 8, 2018

Wumminator The Special One!

That's aboslutely fine. I would agree with that. But to pretend there isn't a comparison to be made there is ridiculous.
  16. Jul 8, 2018

Red-Jeff Full Member

That's fair both exceptional players that bring different things to a team. Tough to compare for me but would prefer Neymar due to his skill set and being better quality overall imo.
  17. Jul 8, 2018

PepsiCola Full Member

His reputation has definitely taken a hit this world cup - for good reason too.

Can't wait for the guy to be stuck in the shadow of Mbappe at PSG as he in Messi's at Barcelona.
  18. Jul 8, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I mean, i get the whole diving stuff and memes, sure. But he was pretty good in this world cup. The fact is we're judging him not by the standards of a great player but by those of best player in the world, which over the last decade has come to mean top 5/10 all time...

Hazard(to use an example) is getting all this praise when Neymar scored the same number of goals(against better teams) created a lot more and was consistently a bigger threat for his team. Even in the brazil-belgium game he was involved or directly at the heart of 5 great goalscoring chances. And he didn't even play well!
  19. Jul 8, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

I agree. But to randomly throw Salah in at this point is laughable.
  20. Jul 8, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    This is what I disagree with. He kept losing possession, tried lots of unnecessary stuff that didn't come off, his touch was off and he often picked the wrong option. Of course, he is a quality player so he wasn't awful, but Brazil kept relying on him, and he didn't perform. He will have good stats for chance creation etc when things are funneled through him, and with minimal defensive responsibility. I don't have any stats here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is among the top players who lost possession.

I mentioned Salah because I think he's had a much better season overall. If we talk about the last few seasons then Neymar is obviously ahead, because he's been among the best players in the world for a while.
  21. Jul 8, 2018

fergieisold Full Member

Really? Neymar is good but he's never stood out as better than the other top players for me.
  22. Jul 8, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

The issue is that Neymar's marketing machine has made the bar for him Messi and Ronaldo, standards he does not and might not ever live up to.

Neymar is on the level that players like Hazard, Bale, Griezmann, Suarez etc are on. By those standards he comes out pretty well. He is easily equal to anyone in that bracket.

However, his PR team has sold him as the one who will pick up where Messi and Ronaldo leave off and so everyone judges him by their standards. Neymar's bar was basically do what Ronaldo did at Euro 2016. He didn't and so his World Cup was judged a failure.

What makes it worse is Madrid is about to sell Ronaldo and Florentino has seemingly earmarked Neymar as his replacement, which only makes people compare them even more. People look at Ronaldo, who has scored over 40 goals a season every year for 10 years. Then they look at Neymar, who has never scored 40 goals a season.

The result is people thinking Neymar is all hype and judging him more for what he isn't rather than what he is.
  23. Jul 8, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    What do you disagree with, that he was good in this world cup? Because really, he wasn't great but the only way you could say he wasn't good is if the baseline for him being good is James in Brazil.

And i don't disagree about puttinh salah in the conversation btw. The season he's just had was one of the best individual seasons in recent memory by a player not named Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. And it even compares to some of theirs
    Yeah sure. I've mentioned that being the case

He's proven himself to be easily better than most of the players you mentioned being on his level. Right now only Bale, when he's fit, Salah, Kane and De Bruyne can compare. This is a player who's shown that at his best, he's close to the 2 aliens. Anyone who's seen him play for barcelona could tell you that. The one time Barcelona asked him to step up and fill messi's boots he turned into the best player in the world. Small sample sure. His half season at PSG adds to that, but then again, ligue1, etc...
  24. Jul 8, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Messi's already secured the Golden Boot for the past season.

Kane is very good, but he's only been world class in the Premier League.

This WC is the 1st time he's really shone outside of it.
  25. Jul 11, 2018

::sonny:: Full Member

26. Jul 11, 2018

Sayros Full Member

Neymar would tear the Premier league apart, he would tear up any league he is in apart IMO. He's a fantastic player, but a terrible diver and a negative competitor. It's a shame, because he really is a good guy outside of football but he acts like an absolute cnut when he's on the field.
  27. Dec 6, 2018

Jacckk1985 New Member

28. Dec 6, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Only if it was at United.

He'd rip the PL to shreds.

For how famous he is... he's still under-rated as a player - for a lot of people (especially in England), they can't see past his demonstrative theatrics and thus think he's somehow less of a player.

Watching that Liverpool game, when he was returning from injury, just showed how technically above a very good PL side he is.

Phenomenal player.
  29. Dec 6, 2018

Pat Cat New Member

Agree wholeheartedly about the underrated part, he's easily the second best in the world these days and people like to pretend he's not even the best on his own team

Would do unforgivable things to see him in our colours
  30. Dec 7, 2018

lsd Full Member

Would never watch us if that cheating scumbag got anywhere near our team .

He is a pathetic embarrassment for football worldwide .

Have you ever seen non football fans watching him in action ?

He turns them off from the sport . He makes you even hate Brazil because of his cheating

People have dived before obviously even for Utd but not on his scale .

He is by far the biggest cheat in football constantly looking to gain advantage by diving and faking injury .

Why would any sane person be happy to win by cheating ?

Why would any fan be happy for their team to win by cheating ?

I wouldn't
  31. Dec 7, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

:lol: :nervous: