Neymar

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by DanClancy, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 30, 2016

DanClancy Full Member

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-eye-neymar-stunning-9362711

It wouldn't surprise me if he was keen on a move, he's not even close to been the main man at Barca and is behind Messi and even Suarez and in addition when it comes to the individual big prizes whilst Messi remains at Barca he has no chance of been named the worlds best player.

Financially United can afford him, his wages could be covered by Rooney & Schweinsteiger moving on whilst Barca could use the money to help rebuild the team and cover Messi's new contract whilst not forgetting the hundreds of millions required to upgrade the nou camp.
  2. Nov 30, 2016

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Right, he's going to have a much bigger chance of winning awards at United than Barca.
  3. Nov 30, 2016

Infra-red Full Member

That wouldn't be his motivation for leaving, as is clearly stated in the article...
  4. Nov 30, 2016

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

Why don't we use the money to rebuild our own team?:angel:
  5. Nov 30, 2016

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    He will likely leave, not sure when - my guess within 2 seasons, for all the obvious reasons
  6. Nov 30, 2016

MounchesterUtd Banned

Hmmm...

- Barca will sell him to us way before he even gets in a position to manoeuvre a move to Madrid, which reportedly is what his father wanted in the first place

- On the other hand, Neymar genuinely comes across as way too full of himself, and for the reported amount, we can splurge on my dream combo of Griez - a genuine United fan - and Icardi

- However, luring Neymar - even for just a few seasons of his prime, to OT will increase our profile in South America tenfold and more SA wonderkids will eventually choose us over the likes of Madrid, Barca, City, Chelsea and PSG

I've never been more torn about a potential transfer
  7. Nov 30, 2016

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I was responding to the OP. Read it.
  8. Nov 30, 2016

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If he goes anywhere it'll be to PSG, they've wanted to sign him for a while and will practically give him ANYTHING.

It'll be interesting to see what Messi/Neymar do decide once their tax situations are sorted.
  9. Nov 30, 2016

DanClancy Full Member

We've done that for the past 4 years, we've signed 11 players who've cost us over £25m. When the opportunity arises to buy one of the world best players who's in his mid 20's then you have to grab it.

We would be,
    What are the obvious reasons? I genuinely don't know.
  10. Nov 30, 2016

We have not done it, we tried to do it and did it stupidly by throwing money at every expensive players that was available.
  11. Nov 30, 2016

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    The most obvious reason of all, money - more of it.

It's his pseudo agent, not father, that has wanted the move to RM: won't happen. It'll likely be PSG or City if I had to guess
  12. Nov 30, 2016

Raees Sporty Guy

Players like Neymar in their pomp are signings which United have always failed to pull off and when we do try a big signing it is usually not a top tier player and we overspend on an old fart or a player who is too slow/doesn't fit tactically and ends up being a waste of money.

Guys like Suarez/Neymar are like no brainer signings.. well Saurez isn't because now he is approaching 30 so I don't think that would be a good signing. But watch us try and buy Messi in a few years who is nearly 30 now and watch him flop here as he isn't able to adapt to the pace of the league.

If you're going to go after stars, do so when they're 23-26. Otherwise don't bother.

Verratti, Greizmann, Neymar, Dybala.. these are the type of big stars who are worth getting and spending big on.
  13. Nov 30, 2016

El General 1994 Full Member

Did he sign a new contract recently?
  14. Nov 30, 2016

DanClancy Full Member

I'd imagine many of the players that were top of Moyes & LVG's list were unavailable and the same goes for many of the players that would top JM's list next summer.
  15. Nov 30, 2016

I'm probably naive but I have a different M.O. We should build a proper team before spending ludicrous amounts of money on a single player and then we should take punts at players like Neymar when he was at Santos.
    At the moment the first point is the most crucial to me because the 200m that will be needed to sign him are enough to build a strong team when your scouts aren't incompetent.

Edit: If we had a strong team, I would agree with you though.
  16. Nov 30, 2016

Raees Sporty Guy

Nah we're on the same wavelength, I'd much prefer that too.

Just saying that he is one of those players who is like a spine for a team because he's such an effective ball carrier.. plus he's a modern day global icon. Not the sort of player you should be avoiding if he is on the market.
  17. Nov 30, 2016

RobinLFC Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Believe me, they wouldn't. The only way Manchester (or Liverpool and even London) becomes a more attractive destination than Madrid or Barcelona for South American players is when you can pay a lot more than them. I wouldn't be surprised if he choses PSG over Manchester if they offer him higher wages, even if Ligue 1 is shite. Money = power. We currently have Firmino and Coutinho but that doesn't increase our chances of signing the next big Brazilian talent in the slightest - we have zero chance instead.

You either need to outbid everyone else or you need to sign them when they're very young, like we did with Coutinho and City did with Gabriel Jesus last summer.
  18. Nov 30, 2016

MounchesterUtd Banned

With all due respect, as good as Firmino and Coutinho are, neither one is remotely comparable to Neymar in a branding sense. Just worlds apart. Even non football fans know that Neymar is a great football player. I have never been to Brazil, but I reckon way more kids there idolize Neymar than Coutinho or Firmino.
  19. Nov 30, 2016

Infra-red Full Member

Apologies.

A contract extension, yes.
  20. Nov 30, 2016

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah of course he is, wasn't trying to say otherwise.

If a talented Brazilian kid, who happens to support Liverpool and idolizes Coutinho right now, has to chose between £100K/week and £200K/week in five years time, he'll always chose the latter one, even if it means going to Manchester instead of Liverpool. That's just how it is. So even if you sign Neymar right now, South American players will only chose you over other European clubs, especially the Spanish giants, if you're once again the highest bidder and offer him the most money, otherwise he couldn't give a shit about Neymar being at United. That's all I was trying to say.

I agree that it could gain United popularity in Brazil if you sign him though, of course it will. But with regard to future players, money talks and nothing else.
  21. Nov 30, 2016

KanieKaned Full Member

Contract talks again no doubt. Personally I think he would be nuts to ever leave Barca
  22. Nov 30, 2016

MounchesterUtd Banned

It's not that simple. Money talks of course, so does location, playing time and the chance to win silverware at the end of the season.

You can't deny though the power of mind conditioning in impressionable young kids. When English (and German and French) clubs recruit from South America against Barca or Madrid, not only are they fighting against the club itself but 60+ years of affirmation that La Liga (and Serie A before) is where the best players in the world should ply their trade. Every great South American player in the modern era has played in either or both Spain and Italy, while England gets throwaways like Di Maria. Prestige wise, England still has a long way to go in the region, and even the Prem's marketing people have acknowledged that. Which is why the PL clubs counter with the one thing they can offer over the Spanish/Italian giants : money.

Neymar alone won't change the next generation's perception of the PL, but he could get the ball rolling in the right direction. Right now, there's very little romanticism to the PL. Foreigners, not just South Americans, usually either fail to adapt to the league or use it as a springboard to their 'dream club'. Having Neymar together with guys like Coutinho, Firmino and in the future possibly Gabigol, Dybala and Correa can make the PL a more appealing destination rather than a back up plan or a last resort.
  23. Nov 30, 2016

Red Katie Full Member

Didn't he just renew?
  24. Nov 30, 2016

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it's even much more simple than the bolded part - as a South American, wouldn't you chose your own language and sunny weather over the Northwest of England, both language, weather and living circumstances wise? I know I would as an Argentinian for example.

Aguero is a world class player in his prime who's been here multiple years (he even supported Liverpool when he was little yet had no problem whatsoever to go to City), Coutinho is a star in Brazil as well, there are numerous Brazilians and Argentinian players in the Premier League. Dybala is probably well aware that the PL is the most covered and most competitive league in the world, yet if United and Barca offer him the same wage, he won't think twice about where he'll go. That's just my opinion of course.
  25. Nov 30, 2016

Raees Sporty Guy

The other thing with getting Neymar is a) he's already sampled the big two with spain so the next club he would be with will guaranteed get the prime of his career.. possibly 7 years worth and b) he could have a Ronaldinho effect like he had at Barca in 2004..
  26. Nov 30, 2016

marukomu The Gatekeeper

I reckon he'd choose City over us.
  27. Nov 30, 2016

WhoDaGOAT Banned

Neymar will go off the rails before 30. It's inevitable. It's not worth risking such a big investment on a South American.

He is outstanding though. He'all break the national team record if he stays on track.
  28. Nov 30, 2016

cyberman Full Member

I hate this inferiority complex nonsense. The same way this forum for years was so sure Pogba was City bound?
    Neymar hates City, he has stated he would rather Madrid win the CL than Manchester City.
  29. Nov 30, 2016

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Yeah, I could see him at City.

He isn't a Mourinho player is he?

I'd rather us go for skilled battlers - players like Kanté or Suarez. Players who are just horrible to play against, that's what Mourinho teams are made up of.

At the moment the players are way too soft, mentally, I mean.

Neymar at present wouldn't work out here, it'd be another ADM situation. But, if we signed a top level holding CM and another rock solid CB (to partner Bailly) and got the bedrock of our team gelled, then a player like Neymar could work out.
  30. Nov 30, 2016

marukomu The Gatekeeper

No inferiority complex at all. I just think he would be attracted to Guardiola and Jesus.
  31. Nov 30, 2016

izec Full Member

Do not want. Martial and Rashford need playing time
  32. Nov 30, 2016

MounchesterUtd Banned

I get the language part, but I'm not sure if the last two are that big of a factor really. It gets cold in Italy and Spain too, and as for living circumstance, unless the player has family in Spain/Italy (Suarez for example), I'm sure he can afford first world luxuries anywhere in Europe for him, his family and his posse.

Aguero, Coutinho and the 'numerous' Brazillians and Argentinians in the league doesn't have Neymar's reach though. Show a photo of Aguero to a regular (non football watching) person and I bet he/she couldn't name him. Justin Bieber fans know who Neymar is. Huge difference.

Good point about Dybala, but that just backs up my point. The kid looks up to Messi, of course he'll go to Barca even if they offer him half of what United offers him. This is someone who can't stop singing praises about Barca, while still under contract at Juve. Mind conditioning is a powerful thing.
  33. Nov 30, 2016

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If he's available and willing to come here then I hope we do everything we can to sign him.
  34. Nov 30, 2016

cyberman Full Member

Guardiola was already there when he insulted City.
    It is an inferiority complex, you pulled City and his preference out of thin air.
  35. Nov 30, 2016

MounchesterUtd Banned

Link?
  36. Nov 30, 2016

Jed I. Knight The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that we managed to get Pogba without being in the Champions League. I don't think we have any chance of getting Neymar in our current situation.
  37. Nov 30, 2016

KanieKaned Full Member

I think you're right although this is likely a renewal to the next renewal. The top players tend to do this an awful lot these days to ensure they are getting the maximum from their respective clubs.
  38. Nov 30, 2016

Red Katie Full Member

Think it's too early.
  39. Nov 30, 2016

KanieKaned Full Member

Its never too early to put the shits up your club. I'm sure plenty of players do it behind closed doors.
  40. Nov 30, 2016

cyberman Full Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.