Nicky Butt as head of academy

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Jan 30, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

He was appointed in Feb 2016.

I think this tweet highlights the great role that he has done for us so far.

Only blackpoint is appoint Sbargia but we've now got better players, coaches and scouts at the underage level ever since he has been appointed.
  2. Jan 30, 2018

LLMU Full Member

I still remember the huge debate in the caf about this and also people mentioning we should get that Southampton guy whoever he is.
  3. Jan 30, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

McKenna was a particularly good move.

Would love Michael Appleton back into the fold, but you can't begrudge him his assistant role at Leicester.

Scholes too, think he'd be an asset. Overlooking him in favour of Sbragia hasn't proven to be the right call. Yet.
  4. Jan 30, 2018

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

Sbraggia still boggles me. How the feck has he got this job I'll never know.
  5. Jan 30, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Fergie and him are mates. Remember when he was here before about a dozen or so years ago. Fergie headhunted him from Sunderland I think it was
  6. Jan 30, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Yeah saw this tweet earlier, very impressive season considering how poor last one was.

Most important point as one of the replies to the tweet.
  7. Jan 30, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

The u23s are in an awkward position this year with or without Sbragia no? Seems like our best players for that level are either wasting away there and would be better off on loan, or too young and inexperienced to have a proper impact.
  8. Jan 30, 2018

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

Blaming Sbragia is such an easy option.

His track record with our Reserves previously was exceptional so there is sound logic in bringing him back.

We haven't had a decent fit striker in years and are paying for under-investment at U/18's level a few years ago.

In addition...there is now a philosophy from Mourinho not to play the fringe first teasers in the U/23's. If you would put Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Wilson, CBJ etc into the team you would most likely see different performances.

I know some of those players have been out on loan...but for most they were hanging around the first team and not featuring in any football at all.

There are multiple reasons we are doing poorly right now and I certainly don't think it's only one factor.
  9. Jan 30, 2018

settembrini Full Member

Wilson is an excellent striker at that level and Sbragia has been able to start him in 10 of our 15 PL2 games. The idea that more 'fringe first teamers' would help him is also not borne out by results. The only PL2 games he has won all season where scrapped 1-0 victories against Sunderland and Leicester, he had McTominay from your list in the first game and no one in the second. His 'strongest' team was either against Swansea (Tuanzebe, Shaw, McTominay, Young) and he drew or against Tottenham (Tuanzebe, Shaw, McTominay, Wilson) and he lost 0-3.

Ofc you are right that it's not all his fault but even taking into account other factors I think he is doing a poor job and it's not fair to our young players. Yes he was good the first time round but that was 13 years ago. He's in his 60s now, easily the oldest guy coaching at this level, and his appointment seems extremely 'old boys club' when compared to hiring McKenna for the under-18s.