No excuse now...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rozay, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jan 22, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

I think in terms of personnel, we probably have the best team in the PL now. I think we can still improve, but our players need to step up now.

Aguero, Sane and Sterling are not better players than Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez. In the middle, Pogba is at least as good as Kevin for me, and Matic is better than Fernandinho. We have the best defence, and undoubtedly the best keeper. We certainly need another midfielder I think, and Silva is a fabulous player in there for City.

In any case, we need to step up now, and Mourinho needs to put this altogether. The talent is there, and we can’t keep hiding behind the fact that Guardiola spends loads of money. This season, he has beaten Mourinho on the training ground, and that can’t, and I’m sure, won’t be allowed to happen next year. We can’t be fecking miles behind that lot next season, we just can’t. The manager has been backed, and will be this summer. The players are there, it’s time for this team to really compete for everything. Now. Not when x and y are older.
  2. Jan 22, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Still City
  3. Jan 22, 2018

SalfordRed18 Full Member

Not gonna lie, stop reading there. We haven't. We're one more midfielder, a younger right back, and Shaw/Martial/Rashford kicking on before we can claim best team in premier league.
  4. Jan 22, 2018

Our players need to man up and step up. City are playing better, but the likes of Sterling and Sane who are flying are not a better profile than what we have. City have players who believe they are the best and are performing at the very best of their potential. I can’t say the same for us.
  5. Jan 22, 2018

ajf75 Banned

Slightly negative? Couldn’t this have waited till tomorrow at least?
  6. Jan 22, 2018

Nope. We are those players away from claiming to be perfect. But City’s team is not perfect. Sterling isn’t as good as Hazard and Sanchez etc, he’s just stepping up.

We need a younger RB, but the one we have is still better than most in this league. Martial isn’t inferior to City’s young forwards.

My point is that the talent we have must do better, which they can, and stop making excuses.
  7. Jan 22, 2018

AshRK Full Member

We still need another top midfielder and fix that RB thing( I know we have Valencia who is a monster but we have to look forward, fosu mensah!). Martial I have huge hopes on but he has to take the game to the next level by being more ruthless. Rashford's form will also be very important in us doing well in long term. I see potential in him but he has to fulfill it.

Coming to our defence. Question mark still on Shaw and Jones whether they can remain fit. Rojo, blind are great squad players . Bailly is a top defender for his age but I am concerned with his fitness like Shaw and Jones. I feel a lot depend on our defenders fitness. Lindelof is a mystery. Another player that could do us a huge favour by becoming a top player but jury still not out on him.

I feel we are moving in a right direction but I still won't say we have the best squad that confidently.
  8. Jan 22, 2018

Reynoldo Full Member

Think that ones the key, get the right player in there, settle on a formation (433 hopefully) and then we can talk.
  9. Jan 22, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Our squad competes on paper but they’re a slicker machine.
  10. Jan 22, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Don't understand the point of this thread at the moment but Ok.
  11. Jan 22, 2018

Vialli_92 Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    On paper it's not even close

City are miles ahead of United

Sanchez helps to bridge that gap but still a bit far away in my opinion from City
  12. Jan 22, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

We're unfortunately still a bit off this City side, there's not a lot in it and theres possibly just one player in it now (De Bruyne) but the gap is still there.
  13. Jan 22, 2018

This is my view, and my point. City’s team have weaknesses on paper to an extent, as do we - but he difference is in how they are performing. We have to do better, and I think we will.

I’m tired of reading all of this ‘if Martial was in that City or Liverpool side’ etc. It’s not that our players are inferior. A lot of it is down to coaching, but this season, especially with Sanchez, Pep would have won this league with our players too i think. I don’t think we are less talented on the whole.
  14. Jan 22, 2018

Ban Full Member

Not the best team in PL yet. We still need additions.

But we're not miles behind too. Like @Vialli_92 says.
  15. Jan 22, 2018

Brightonian Full Member

:lol: I'm always mystified by how much stock Caftards put into current form when judging 'whose players are better'. The difference between a top player in form and out of form is much more significant than the difference between a top player and a not-quite-top player.

You're right. Our squad is better on paper than City's. Take Pep out of the equation and judge these players on their form over the last, say, five years.

-Their defence is a mess, liabilities all over the place. Remember what everyone thought of Kyle Walker for his entire career excluding this season? We have a solid stable of CBs, all mature/maturing, none old yet, Bailly a standout talent. Taking Valencia into account, the FBs average out about evens.
    -The midfields are similar, although we have better strength in depth. Pogba and KDB cancel each other out. Matic is better than Fernandinho. Herrera and Gundogan are equal - the latter has hit higher levels in the past but he's injured all the time and not as good any more either.
    -I'd say the attacks are now balanced. Aguero is obviously better than Lukaku, but Martial has more in his locker than Sané. Sanchez is obviously better than Sterling. Jesus is currently a better option than Rashford, and Silva than Mata. But B Silva is somewhat obsolete in a squad that already has his namesake and KDB, whereas Lingard offers something different and clearly effective!
    -De Gea De Gea De Gea.

They are in better form, and Pep is doing a better job than Mou. But on paper we now have marginally better players. Next season I expect a much more even tussle for the title.
  16. Jan 22, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

2 midfielders, a RB, a LB and a winger in the summer and we are ready to win the PL next season.
  17. Jan 22, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

"City are miles off United". I'd like someone to explain this to me as I do understand what point the OP is trying to make. Personal wise City aren't running around with a team composed of them Neymar, Messi, Iniesta etc for people to go on these hyperboles about them being miles off.

Personal wise we're not that far apart but the difference is that they're playing better football due to better tactics and beliefs right now. As the OP mentioned City players have stepped up and playing in a better system bringing the best out of them. We're currently lcaking that. A good system and team cohesion.

If our players step up like mentioned on the OP this team could do wonder.
  18. Jan 22, 2018

Basically this.
  19. Jan 22, 2018

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    Hes not wrong.
    Talent wise, were on par with City.
    Performence wise, they are way ahead of us this season. It's time for everyone to step up.

We probably won't be able to catch City, but need to take every game at full seriousness. Come the end of the season, if we can be 4-6 points of them, that's a good base for next season which will show that we had a strong second half of the season.
  20. Jan 22, 2018

SteveW Full Member

I'm not Jose's biggest fan but I think he deserves credit for the transfers both in and out of the club since he's come here. He's hardly put a foot wrong. To go from strugglers last season to someone people suggest we've the best team in the league is a testament to his judgement and vision in trying to build rebuild the squad. Whether things work out for him or not he will leave us with a much better group of players than the one he inherited.
  21. Jan 22, 2018

The point is quite simple - to state that I believe we have the team to equal City, and cannot make excuses if we continue to be so far adrift of them. They have no Balon D’or contenders or anything, their players are no better than ours and we must do better. We can’t continue to drift behind them and console ourselves with a myth that it’s because ‘they cheat with oil money and buy all the best players’. We must step up.
  22. Jan 22, 2018

Basa1987 Full Member

Come on...
  23. Jan 22, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Mate, today we have signed Sanchez and Scousers lost. Just enjoy the day for now..
  24. Jan 22, 2018

Skills Snitch

Why? He's playing as about as good as he ever has as a fullback?
  25. Jan 22, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Exactly.

I've seen players like Sterling looking very good and all them youngsters from City playing very well which led to claims that the likes of Martial are far off those players when in reality Martial is a far better talent and player than sterling and certainly not inferior to other City youngsters.

The difference being that they're playing in a team and system which allows them to flourish unlike Martial right now who has to do it the hard way.

I look at City personal and they aren't otherworldly compared to everyone else like most people would have one believe. Though they are better coached and play in a very good and well drilled system.
  26. Jan 22, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    City are still a good bit better
  27. Jan 22, 2018

It’s not compulsory for you to partake of course. I am happy at all of those things, which has caused me to look to the future and where our team can go.
  28. Jan 22, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    Jesus Christ we're just not better than this City side and it's impossible to qualify that statement. They're breaking records right now even if I do think they're more vulnerable than they look. Also doped to the gills.

Sanchez is a great signing, a great step to building an ideal Mourinho side - The dynamic attacking threat we've really lacked. But we still have some major holes, especially in midfield. Martial, Shaw, Rashford etc. are still not the finished articles yet either. There's a lot of positivity but we need to be realistic about where we are.

Any demands of instant success when we're clearly making progress is crazy. We're moving away from what was a trainwreck to a very good team. We should be competing at every level next season.
  29. Jan 22, 2018

el3mel Full Member

I don't think much about future, but one thing I'm sure about is we're definitely going forward and I'm enjoying that and hope we keep improving farther and farther.
  30. Jan 22, 2018

Livewire1974 If it moves, report it.

I hate hindsight, but those 3 shit draws at Xmas killed us.
  31. Jan 22, 2018

Naive way of looking at it, in some key positions they quite clearly do have players that are better than ours
  32. Jan 22, 2018

In terms of actual talent? They are no PSG.

My fear is that our players be tricked into starting to think this themselves. I doubt that will happen, but most of our team has been assembled for huge money, as much as City, and we don’t shop at a less trendy store than them.
  33. Jan 22, 2018

Phil Full Member

I see your point, I just think you've worded it badly.
  34. Jan 22, 2018

Foxbatt Full Member

I think we need another world class midfield player to go with a 3 man midfield. That said we have a lot of talent. Very good piano player and very good dancers too.
  35. Jan 22, 2018

We'd still be 6 points off them no? Obviously the pressure would be different for them had that been the case but I look to the damaging dropped points way before Christmas, namely fecking Huddersfield away
  36. Jan 22, 2018

Of course, as do we. But we have a player in each area that is at least the equal of the best they have I think. I just don’t think we fully realise or believe it yet. That maybe comes from the coach, and him being a bit more cautious.

How many of our better players would people say ‘would look better under Pep?’ Probably a fair few.

This thread is mainly about Mourinho tbh. I think he has the tools to ensure he does a lot better next season, and he should be expected to, as should the players, despite the inevitable handing of next season’s title to City come August.
  37. Jan 22, 2018

ghagua Full Member

Absolutely agree. Reason why people are saying City players are better is because their manager is doing the job on the training ground and getting the best out his team.
  38. Jan 22, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    I mean it's tough to take seriously when you either forgot about or excluded City's best player.

Walker is world class by the way. Anyone who's considered him a joke for any length of time is a fool given his form under Pochettino - He's basically two players. Pep didn't spend £50m+ on him for nothing.

We have a better keeper. At best the full backs are a wash. The CB's are about equal with both sets probably more suited to the team's style. In CM they're light years ahead - Fernandinho is every bit as good as Matic and David Silva and De Bruyne are world class. Front 3 may be a wash with Sanchez on board but it will be tough to see when they have so much more creativity.

The squads still aren't level. We have a ways to go.
  39. Jan 22, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Adding Ozil free, 80m-100m top CM, 30-50m understudy CM, the 30-50m right fullback and sell Darmain and Blind so we can be a lot stronger than City next season. I can't see City getting world class players in the summer transfer window if they don't want to break structure wage. City only has a one world class player is KDB and we have the likes of De Gea, Pogba and Sanchez. Probably will add another world class player in summer transfer window. I agreed that there's no excuse for us and we must improve our team.
  40. Jan 22, 2018

:mad:

Still haunts me.
  41. Jan 22, 2018

Macern SeARcHeS iMagEs oF fO0tbAlLeRs bAllSaCkS

How will a younger right back make us better? In fact, I struggle to see any right back at all making us better. Not even Carvajal or Dani Alves or whoever