No signings blessing in disguise

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jerch, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018

Jerch Full Member

So... A lot of talk this summer is around not addressing our weak spots from Mourinho and especially on this forum. I didn't saw such a depressed CAF since i started lurking on this forum which dates back almost a decade.

But could be few signings a good thing? I had impression that we are changing the core of the team to much in summer for past 3 years. I think it will improve team spirit, understanding between players, etc which we lacked in last seasons. Incidentally our last rise happened after disappointing 2006 sumer transfer window. Same as last year we were far away from the champions back then and Chelsea brought in some great players while we only added Carrick so there are some similarities.

Also if u take Real for example. They were very active in transfer market 4-5 seasons ago and before that but their rise happened when they stopped buying to much players every summer and gaved the opportunity to the players they had. For example Modric was regarded as the biggest flop of the season after 6 months at Real.

I am in minority of course but do anybody think that this could be a good thing for us and we should stick with the policy of buying 1 or 2 players in the summer rather than buying 5 or even 6 as we did in last summers?
  2. Aug 6, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

We need to completely change the way we play to improve without adding to the squad. We have a glass ceiling with these players at the moment because we always revert to type and back to counter punch tactics, and the players we have are just not suited to it when they are being pressured.

I think it's possible to become more dynamic and improve without signings, but I don't have much confidence in it happening because there has been literally zero evidence of us or Jose even trying. The only way we improve how we play at the moment is by finding players who are better at it.
  3. Aug 6, 2018

reddevil702 Full Member

I'm all for buying 1 - 2 players if they address need positions. Fred addressed a need but all the other talk is about buying another CB which imo isn't a position of need. Assuming Dalot is our answer to RB then LB and RW is where we need to strengthen and haven't. Madrid's team really didn't have any room for improvement, and they didn't need to buy because of the depth they had from previous windows. We've basically sold most of the players that we've spent on in the past 3 years so we don't have that luxury.
  4. Aug 6, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Isn't the first stage of grief denial?
  5. Aug 6, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

It currently is a blessing in disguise. All the CB names being thrown around are just so meh. The only panic signing we're linked with who I wouldn't mind is Willian, but even then I wouldn't go over £50 million for him.

Feck these CBS, where is my right winger??
  6. Aug 6, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

Quality not quantity is what we need and some positivity from the manager.
  7. Aug 6, 2018

SuperiorXI Full Member

The manager could have maybe used it as a siege mentality-type scenario i.e. "they say you're not good enough"... but the feeling is he has driven the majority of the negative vibes.
  8. Aug 6, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

Yes it gives our manager another ligitemant excuse to leave.
  9. Aug 6, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Don't drink and type :p
  10. Aug 6, 2018

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Tbh I wouldn’t give him anymore money

Hopefully it means he’s leaving and the club is saving it for the next manager
  11. Aug 6, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

You got me ;)
  12. Aug 6, 2018

SirAnderson Full Member

For me it doesn't only apply to the manager. The players themselves need to step up and deliver, even with tactics, desire on the pitch and fighting for your place for example. All last season I got the feeling that they really weren't getting stuck in every week, they almost chose when they wanted to.
    Whether it will be a blessing in disguise remains to be seen of course, but one thing is certain, our current crop of players are punching well below what they should be. (with exception for a few that should be punching at all with us)
  13. Aug 6, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I have learned to expect great things from threads where 'blessing in disguise' is used.
  14. Aug 6, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

The difference is Real purchased some of the best players in the world. We haven’t done that.

Doing what you suggested is fine when you have City’s squad for example. But we are starting the season with Mata at RW, Young at LB, likely Smalling at CB. Says it all.
  15. Aug 6, 2018

Jerch Full Member

Totally agree with this. We can criticize manager but when there is third manager in a row we criticize we should consider that maybe it is a problem with players. I totally agree that they need to deliver better and more consistent performances week in week out.

One observation from last three seasons is that in SAFs time players which arrived usually stepped up in quality and delivered better performances than they did in previous club. In last three seasons exactly opposite happens, players come with big pricetag, big promises but performances in United shirt rarely meet the expectations.

Buying new 4-6 players and selling same players 1 or 2 seasons latter must end at some point. Especially in todays crazy market.
  16. Aug 6, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

Who is the next Ronaldo?
  17. Aug 6, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    We made two signings. Three if you want to include Grant
  18. Aug 6, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

The only people not signing a CB in the last few days is going to benefit are those at the club already, I'm not seeing much of a blessing in disguise there
  19. Aug 6, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Don't you think we are working towards that behind the scenes?

Carrick and McKenna may be the most influential signings under the Mourinho reign.
  20. Aug 6, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

We need better players.

Having fewer good players is never a positive.
  21. Aug 6, 2018

settembrini Full Member

If we just focused on signings for our weakest positions then a couple a year would be fine.

Unfortunately we don't follow this policy.

Hence the large number of signings that have little or no impact on improving the team.
  22. Aug 6, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Yup.

Who/where are those players though? Other than ones that Jose has managed before?
  23. Aug 6, 2018

Leftback99 Full Member

I wouldn't call it a blessing but a new centre back at this point is going to have minimal impact on our season, so i don't see the point in us desperately throwing £60m+ at any of the underwhelming options rumoured.

Do some planning/scouting and spend the money wisely in January or next summer. We'll definitely need a new left back by then for example.
  24. Aug 6, 2018

Needham Full Member

If a lot of the late career high profile names the club are being linked with don't come then the blessing is not even disguised. Jose so obviously playing a kind of transfer wacamole other clubs must be sneering at the clear lack of an overall club or footballing strategy.
  25. Aug 6, 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow Ero-Sennin

We have too big a squad. We should just offload some players. No need to buy anyone!
  26. Aug 6, 2018

fellaini's barber New Member

Any team who stacks up enough good players will always get to a point where they can do without signing or signing just 1-2 players per window, you can only field 11 after all. Examples are R. Madrid over the past 4 years or so, us around 2005 ish, City are quickly getting there,hell even Spurs are super stacked with quality despite not blowing money everywhere while we.... we're not even close to being that good right now. Apart from DDG and 1 or 2 players we have a team full of players who I wouldn’t mind if we got rid of right now. And a list of uninspiring youngsters to boot. We need a massive clearout first off, then large influx of quality players for a few seasons yet before we get to the point where we can even start talking about 'blessings in disguise' scenarios like these.
  27. Aug 6, 2018

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

Whole August to ship players abroad and three days to acquire someone of a value.
  28. Aug 6, 2018

Greck Full Member

Blessing in disguise if it forces the manager to adapt but that won't happen. Get the feeling he'd rather try and buy a solution but there's no single player that can fix our terrible off-ball movement.
  29. Aug 6, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    I dont have a problem with Woodward not sanctioning or pushing more incoming deals. It's been said so many times with the players we already have at our disposal in the attacking third we should be doing much much better. This is a problem with the coaching and tactics. Although I think we will struggle this season I think we are doing the right thing. I wouldnt want to see the club spunking more cash on players 29/30 especially when it doesnt mean a better style of play. Mourinho wants another CB, well I say let him improve the two that he has bought.

Anyhow it's more thank likely his final season with us, so better to keep that kitty for the next manager.
  30. Aug 6, 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow Ero-Sennin

3 more CBs should be enough to park the bus, I reckon!
  31. Aug 6, 2018

iluvoursolskjær Full Member

Only a blessing if Mourinho suddenly becomes capable of improving Shaw, Rashford, Martial, and Bailley stops being injury prone.

Is it likely? Who knows.
  32. Aug 6, 2018

Chairman Steve Full Member

While not many signings can mean more stability and not having to endure a bedding in period, we are still short on quality in some areas on the pitch... namely the wide areas. Our first choice full backs are both 33 and converted from wingers. They’re great as backups and squad rotation but first choices for a team that wants to win the league? No chance.

It’s pretty laughable how we don’t have an actual right winger anymore. The only one we did have has now the first choice right back. We have players on the wings who all prefer to play more centrally... meaning no one can whip a cross on a consistent basis to provide aerial threat. They all want to cut infield and have a go themselves, meaning we’re predictable to play against.

“No need to position yourself out wide lads, just crowd them out in the middle!” is probably the majority of OT visiting teams tactics
  33. Aug 6, 2018

Smores Full Member

There's absolutely no benefit to us not getting fullbacks (Dalot prob isn't ready) or a right winger.
  34. Aug 6, 2018

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

Rojo & Jones can't park for shit.
  35. Aug 6, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

Can a loss be a win making a comeback?
  36. Aug 6, 2018

DSG Full Member

We’ll get a RW and a CB or LB/RB. Martial will be sold for a profit abroad after the EPL window closes, along with Darmian.
  37. Aug 7, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Unless we get a left footed RW or a LB there is no point signing anyone else.
  38. Aug 7, 2018

jmaggio New Member

Best signing we could make would be getting rid of José :lol:
  39. Aug 7, 2018

f_to_z Full Member

The problem these days is that most teams keep strengthening and improving their squads each season even while having a great squad. In most cases its not because they need the players but money is available then why not make the team stronger and buy the unsettled star before another team does. City wins the league with ease last season and they still buy more. Barcelona has a great team but they still buy each summer to improve. So to stay put with what you got is good for team chemistry and cohesion but with time I feel other teams will become stronger and then we will be left playing the catching up game.
  40. Aug 7, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Liverpool and arsenal are proof of the opposite as well. Stopped investing and it’s been downhill ever since