Observations On The Huddersfield Game From The Stretford End.

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Inigo Montoya, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Great to go up for the first time in a year. Took my 9 year old as a birthday treat and at least he loved his day.
    Interesting to watch it live and assess players I haven't seen and here are my thoughts on them.

Firstly, Huddersfield were an embarrassment.The clearly came for a point and developed vertigo everytime they ventured over the halfway line. They also, to orders, targeted McTominay early on which far from being legitimate was designed to hurt him.
    Anyway on to the team.

DDG- Nothing to do but we know how great he is.
    Rojo- better option if you want a left sided CB. Not a lot to do and was tidy
    Smalling- See Rojo only on the right
    Valencia- Absolute beast and a wonderful athelete. Could have attacked more in the first half but maybe he and Shaw were under orders not to overlap too much.
    Shaw- Clearly improving but here's the thing. He does not concentrate long enough and lets the winger or RB get behind him far too often. What gets him out of trouble is his speed. He is rapid.
    Matic-Imperious. One sloppy pass but after that took charge and played like the Huddersfield players were beneath him-for the most part they were!
    McTominay- Came in for Pogba to send out a message it would appear. He is a player who Jose clearly likes and it's not hard to see why. He is athletic and quick( Not sprinter quick but he can accelerate over 10 metres. Gave the ball out wide and did the simple things well. Would like to see him pass the ball forward more often but his will come with more experience. Not quite Darren Fletcher yet.
    Sanchez- Unplayable when he turns and runs. Tough too. Huddersfield could only get near him by fouling.
    Will be a huge asset when we learn to play alongside him.
    Mata- Not the best game to assess him. Slow to beat players but very intelligent. Great cross for Lukaku to score. takes up intelligent positions and works his socks off. Fades late from tiredness.
    Lingard- Superb up close. Very very quick and gets his shot off early. Links up well with all around.Great asset.
    Lukaku- For a lot of the time , the laziest player on the pitch. Ball bounces off him far too much and should not get bullied by Huddersfield players. Awful first touch. Then he pops up and scores a great goal.Hope he comes good;seems to be a popular member of the team.

Subs: Frightening when you who we brought on.
    Pogba- Not much to add. He wasn't troubled by Huddersfield midfield. One lovely pass to release Mata and led to the penalty.
    Martial- We all know how good he is. Nothing to add.
    Rashford- Seen him several time now and he is very talented. He needs to learn not to try and dribble round everyone and know when it's better to run at a defender. Most won't be able to live with him. hopefully having Sanchez next to him will bring him on.
  2. Feb 4, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Did you have a pie?
  3. Feb 4, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Would personally prefer an observation from the North stand if possible, cheers.
  4. Feb 4, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Haven’t been to OT for a while, are the pies still rancid?
  5. Feb 4, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Would rather someone who watched it on a low quality stream with Russian commentary’s opinion
  6. Feb 4, 2018

Boring and lacking in atmosphere. Too many tourists and day trippers who are happy to sit on their arses and disappear at half time for their snacks, and then feck off 5 minutes before the end
  7. Feb 4, 2018

:lol:
    Never tried one, never will.
  8. Feb 5, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Sadly true, and becoming more so as time passes. The number of people who disappear at half time and don’t reappear until 15 minutes into the second half is unbelievable. At £50 a ticket too.

The pies are much improved, and actually really tasty. Not great value for money, unsurprisingly.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

Lucky for you i was in the north stand.

Huddersfield need relegating. No place for theit shit in thr league.
  10. Feb 5, 2018

Very true. I was sat near two school trips. About 50 children all in a group. No wonder the atmosphere was shit.
  11. Feb 5, 2018

fergieisold Full Member

The pies are decent now. Only problem is they're hotter than the sun!
  12. Feb 5, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I was joking, I just thought his thread was funny how he had to mention being in the stretford end, rather than just saying he was at the game.
  13. Feb 5, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Mate, if you think OT is bad for people arriving late/leaving early (and it is), try going to Wembley. I went for the United game last week and sat with the home fans. There were people arriving 20 minutes into the game, and by the end it was less than half-full. They were an absolute disgrace.
  14. Feb 5, 2018

Oyibo New Member

not everyone lives local to their football ground. They may have trains to catch.
  15. Feb 5, 2018

promisedlanchiao New Member

The dig at tourists and day trippers is unfair, unless 90% of the stadium were tourists and day trippers. I watched the game on TV and it was deathly silent (with the exception of the Huddersfield fans). So its not just the tourists and day trippers who kept quiet. It was you so called regular game go-ers as well.

I have been to OT only once (with the wife and kids in tow) as I live 3500 miles away. And when we were in the stadium, it was such a special occasion that we tended to just observe and absorb what was going on around us. Maybe that's why tourists are quiet.

Having said that, we are not the plastics that many of you here try to make us out to be. I have been following United since 1988 and spent lots of time and $$$ on the club. You try watching a game from 4 am to 5.45 am and then waking up @ 6.30 am to go to work.
  16. Feb 5, 2018

I know ;)
  17. Feb 5, 2018

It wasn't meant as a dig at you tourists and day trippers. It was a remark about the North Stand as I was asked. Regular game goers don't create as much as they once did, I agree.
    As for getting up to watch a game from 4 to 5.45 and then going to work- well I can't affect how and where you watch a game but you're obviously a fan. But try this; Go to work then head to an away match some 200-300 miles away or more, then get back at 4am, and still go to work. That takes a particular kind of dedication:lol:
    As you said you watched the game on TV- enough said, you can't make an observation based on watching it on TV. It wasn't deathly silent in the ST or K stand where my older boy was. I was with my younger son and he loved it as much as you did. So hardly a dig at day trippers. I've met loads of fans from abroad and they've been really great. Hope you can make a game again in the future

PS: Going once in a while does not qualify one as a plastic fan
  18. Feb 5, 2018

You know nothing;)
  19. Feb 5, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Serious question to matchgoers, do you really be able to see anything clearly live? I mean the distance, the speed of things happening, and no replay or close up
  20. Feb 5, 2018

RedBrickWall New Member

I find you can see players movements off the ball and tactical aspects a lot better live then off the tele.
  21. Feb 5, 2018

ZupZup Full Member

Went to an Irish bar in the centre of Manchester after the match to catch what was left of the rugby and got chatting to a couple of Huddersfield fans in there. They were critical of the atmosphere (as expected)... we all know it's crap. Also they were critical that we didn't score 5 past them because they are so rubbish. I did say that I think they are the only team I have seen this season who had all 11 players in their own half when De Gea has the ball. Not always easy to break teams down who are that compact defensively even if they are a bit rubbish.

They were also shocked at the price of a season ticket compared to what they pay... apparently I can't consider myself working class if I can afford one, which did make me laugh.

There are some things you wish you could see again... not having replays like you get on TV is the main thing you miss. If something happens at the other end of the ground to where you are sat, then you don't see it as clearly - that's true. On the other hand though, you get so much more because you see the whole pitch whereas watching on the TV... you just see what the camera is focusing on at that time. Overall, you definitely get a better perspective of the match live than you do watching on TV.
  22. Feb 5, 2018

The problem is that we have become spoiled by the saturation coverage and over analysis of the game that we now expect to see the instant replay and slow mo replay from a dozen different angle.
    TV has made it more accessible to a global audience and it's great. I love the TV coverage but not the over analysis by pundits searching for a soundbite but that's modern football for you.
    Live, you can appreciate the distance covered, the athleticism, skill and sheer physical presence of the players. The skill level at PL level is also quite astonishing. Something you take for granted watching a game on TV. All in all you leave with a greater appreciation of the players skills.
    Watching a game at the ground also depends on the level you are watching. At OT, you are lucky that you have a good view from almost everywhere. I prefer almost ground level where you can see the skill it takes to deliver a 50 yard pass or beat a player. As for speed; when you see a speed merchant like Giggs running down the wing at full pelt...wow!

All in all, it's really pluses and minuses for both. I know what I prefer and miss
  23. Feb 5, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

I saw the Kongolo incident clear as day from the Stretford End... boggles the mind how the ref didn't see it.
  24. Feb 5, 2018

Jonno Full Member

From Preston, UK - Living in Sydney, Australia
    Both you and son were too quiet

White text, hope you both had a good day
  25. Feb 5, 2018

Unbelievable wasn't it? The whole Stretty was up on their feet
  26. Feb 5, 2018

You Australians have big enough mouths for all of us though;)
  27. Feb 5, 2018

Adisa Full Member

Don't know why people buy food in stadiums. The prices are scandalous.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  28. Feb 5, 2018

Who Loves ya Bebe New Member

Yep - costs and arm and a leg!
  29. Feb 5, 2018

Adisa Full Member

:lol:
  30. Feb 5, 2018

promisedlanchiao New Member

Fair play mate. Let’s just say that we are all passionate about the club in our own way.

I did hear ‘ we’ll never die’ from us and ‘is this a fire drill(?)’ from them over the tv. Were these sung?

I should have been hearing a lot more from us though esp given that we were commemorating the Busby babes.
  31. Feb 5, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

There’s no doubt that you get a very different perspective watching the game in real time from the stands rather than on telly. I don’t want to get into a slanging match over which players look better from where, but it’s easier to overlook a player’s faults from the stands as long as they put a shift in, and easier to spot those who don’t. Not that that’s the only thing players should be judged on.
  32. Feb 5, 2018

Go back 20 years and you would have.

Times have changed, not always for the better but in some cases, yes.
  33. Feb 5, 2018

Lukaku take note!
  34. Feb 6, 2018

Jonno Full Member

From Preston, UK - Living in Sydney, Australia
    Haha, I'm from Lancashire, but you're right, the Aussies are pretty whiney
  35. Feb 6, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

on the pace of the game I remember sitting near pitch level for one game

makes you really appreciate the speed of things
  36. Feb 6, 2018

Ian Reus Full Member

It wasn't until I sat in the stadium did I appreciate just how good Keane, Scholes and then Carrick were. The positioning and such which were off camera.
  37. Feb 7, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Where are you based that you can't see a live football game somewhere? You get a much better appreciation for the athleticism/competition when you're up close and if you're further away you can see things panning out tactically and the off the ball stuff.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  38. Feb 7, 2018

Pace Abuser Full Member

Wembley is a complete clusterfeck to get to and from during the week in the evening. It's not the norm with their fans.
  39. Feb 7, 2018

Pace Abuser Full Member

Mate, you're missing out on a great experience.
  40. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

I like to see something that will get me out of my seat. Seen nothing in this game. We need a dynamic player in midfield to work with Matic and allow Pogba more freedom and we also need more magic from the right hand side. Goal scoring winger would be nice.