OccupyWallStreet.org Protest

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ooeat0meoo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011

ooeat0meoo Member of the Muppet Empire

My Happy Place - So Don't Be Fucking With Me!
    https://occupywallst.org/

This is Day 8 of the occupation of Zucotti Park (Renamed Liberty Square). The Occupy Wall Street details are in the link.

Today, 3 members of the Live Stream Media team were brutally beaten and arrested. All throughout the 8 days the police have specifically targeted the media team.

Kieth Oberman on the media blackout on the protest:

More video to come
  2. Sep 24, 2011

Latest report for today... between 60-80 people have been arrested near Union Square.
  3. Sep 24, 2011

bsc Full Member

Who said democracy was dead.
  4. Sep 24, 2011

The Police are about to pounce on the main site....

See the Live Stream at the main web site
  5. Sep 24, 2011

6. Sep 24, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

You might be the only person watching it TBH. Absolutely zero interest or coverage in the US.
  7. Sep 24, 2011

There are now 7,000 viewers on the Live Stream. I am hardly the 'only' person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sep 25, 2011

Sir Matt Full Member

Why are they arresting people? Are they rioting or something? Or do they just upset the bastards who work there?
  9. Sep 25, 2011

10. Sep 25, 2011

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    What are they protesting about anyway?
  11. Sep 25, 2011

Commadus Banned

You wonder why......
  12. Sep 25, 2011

The consensus of the group at Zucotti Park (Liberty Sq.):

1. Wall Street Corrupting Politics/Legislation
    2. The Banking industry's tendency to burn people with toxic loans, then turning around and sitting on all the world's wealth after crushing the world economies.

These two are the most popular, but there are other topics of interest, as well. ie. As reported on the Ed Shultz Show, unemployment amongst the demographic between 16-24 is 55%...

Currently on the Live Stream: Writer Chris Hedges

Hedges makes a great point... paraphrasing 'This is about deciding whether you on the side of ~Priveledge and Power ... or ... Justice and Truth~'

Chris Hedges also says that the BBC is not a friend of a movement such as Occupy Wall Street. (Maybe the BBC doesn't appreciate a protest unless half the country is burning? Is my question)

The above seems to be what this protest is about more than anything else.

btw... CNN starting covering the protest, this morning.
  13. Sep 25, 2011

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    So they aren't really sure then?

They are just looking for something to cause trouble about, why don;t they just go home...
  14. Sep 25, 2011

It's obvious you can't read Colin... I explained above. There are two basic reasons for the protest. Although, there are many reasons for it.

If you need 'one' reason... I has got to be the frustration with the financial and political system that is an obvious failure as seen on the news each and every day ~ throughout the world. Wall Street happens to be one of the key players in the economic mess we find ourselves.
  15. Sep 25, 2011

PhilipB Too soft for Dublin

Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
    They're doing it all wrong anyway. You need petrol bombs, bricks, hoodies, scarves to hide your face etc. They'll continue to get maced unless they start rioting properly. The police aren't even wearing riot gear ffs!
  16. Sep 25, 2011

How is that working for the UK?

This is into Day 9 and building... they are looking to be heard, not to just have a flash of attention.
  17. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

That is one of the main criticism of this group. They really haven't got a clear objective, hence the medias complete lack of interest.
  18. Sep 25, 2011

Drainy Full Member

what was the clear objective of the teaparty movement?
  19. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

ffs....you aren't seriously asking that question. :lol:
  20. Sep 25, 2011

Drainy Full Member

Some people were against the tax system,
    some people were against the bailout of the banks and car manufacturers
    some people were against government spending and the deficit situation,
    some people were against healthcare reform,
    some people were against a democratic president.

do you want me to go on?

You literally are a fecking moron if you think that just because they are the TEAPARTY that its purely about taxes.
  21. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

The fist four are all tax related, Moron. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how you spin it the Tea Party loons are against big government, which by default means federal taxes. If the federal government could run its programs on moon dust no one would give a crap what they did.

That aside it really doesn't matter because most of the Tea Party attendees didn't even know what day of the week it was.
  22. Sep 25, 2011

Drainy Full Member

This was before the movement got defined. The protests were a very general protest of government before the issues became more aligned with republican and corporate interests and goals.

The teaparty started out as a defused movement that were just angry at the government in general. Whether its cos they are spending a lot, taxing too much, being too black, being too democratic, not having enough god etc

By the same definition Occupywallstreet are clearly against corporate greed on wallstreet and is just as clear in their objective.
  23. Sep 25, 2011

24. Sep 25, 2011

Drainy Full Member

Bullshit. "Don't tread on me" was one of the slogans of the early teaparty.
    They believed that the government was infringing on their rights, either by mandating healthcare, fears about gun control being tightened under a democrat or over-regulation of businesses.

A lot of the tea party movement organisers were also part of the christian right movement and oppose Abortion rights.. is it small government to ban abortions and enforce regulations which prohibit this? Would they care about their tax dollars being spent on enforcing this? No, the conservative movement isnt against government, its against spending on liberal programs.
  25. Sep 25, 2011

Does this look like a Tea Party Girl?!

[​IMG]

Rumors that many of the NYPD agree with this Occupy movement
    [​IMG]

Some of the NYPD are not with the cause (Really, when have you EVER seen someone do this to a Tea Party person?!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael Moore Strongly Supports the Occupy Movement:
    Welcome to MichaelMoore.com
  26. Sep 25, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't have heard about this until the eventual film 30 years from now.

It's fecking appalling.
  27. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

No point going back and forth, from Wiki:

Opening Paragraph:
    The Tea Party movement (TPM) is an American populist[1][2][3] political movement that is generally recognized as conservative and libertarian,[4] and has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009.[5][6][7] It endorses reduced government spending,[8][9] opposition to taxation in varying degrees,[9] reduction of the national debt and federal budget deficit,[8] and adherence to an originalist interpretation of the United States Constitution.[10]

First Protest:
    On January 24, 2009, Trevor Leach, chairman of the Young Americans for Liberty in New York State organized a "Tea Party" to protest "obesity taxes" proposed by New York Governor David Paterson and call for fiscal responsibility on the part of the government.

You can interpret it anyway you wish but ultimately its an anti taxation and spending lobbyist group.
  28. Sep 25, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

Basically, the tea party has money, left wing 20-something year olds often don't.
  29. Sep 25, 2011

mjs, please quit spamming this with d i s-information ~ This has nothing to do with Tea Party, at all!
  30. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

In all fairness the Tea Party fruit loops meet in one place for a few hours and feck off. Clogging up area of NYC for days on end will get a very different response. And American police do not tend to feck around, knees in necks and heads are very common. My Mrs has seen people taken down like that in the ER just for causing a small disturbance.
  31. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

Who started the Tea Party discussion? And if you don't want to further the discussion why even bother highlighting text and adding your own comment. :rolleyes:

Threads go off track, welcome to the Internet.
  32. Sep 25, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

Causing a disturbance is different to protesting. It's a sad reflection of America when they're grouped toghether. And the main point here remains - the mainstream media is completely turning a blind eye to this. Although, if Battle in Seattle is anything to go on this is going to make a cracking film some day!
  33. Sep 25, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

The people of NY would probably disagree with you there. A few hundred people needing police attention for days, and disrupting traffic flows is causing a disturbance. Marches are usually approved and are over in hours, "occupying" by definition is a public nuisance.

OH and BTW - two or three people stood on a pavement in the UK can be moved along.
  34. Sep 25, 2011

Drainy Full Member

conservative and libertarian are two completely different animals.

Lower taxation and smaller government are what it stands for now that it has been defined. As I keep saying, what got people out to the protests in the first few events varied just and was as general in definition as this protest is at the moment. The only thing that everyone was sure about was that they were unhappy with the government and the economy.

How the movement has developed is irrelevant to your argument because you claim that the reason this isn't covered is that people are out for different reasons/ have different objectives.

The teaparty started off in the same way.. a tough economy and frustration at the perceived cause... if anything the reasons for the teaparty protests spreading were less defined.

The actual answer to why this hasn't got any real coverage is because there is no "patron" of the movement in the media. A lot of the teaparty's success in getting coverage is because of Fox News, when Fox covered it as a way of getting at Obama the other networks covered it and it spread further. They then controlled how the spread of protests got defined and made it less about being pissed at the bailout of the banks (which had no impact on current tax policy- just to point that out) and more about taxation levels and government intrusion in people's lives.

My brother did his dissertation comparing and contrasting the Teaparty movement with the Christian Right movement. He made me listen to his plans, and read the academic articles on the early teaparty. So please leave out the wiki.

Occupywallstreet is very comparable with the early teaparty in how clear the objectives are.
  35. Sep 26, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

Well, If I lived in NY I'd be one of those nuisances so I guess I'm a little biased here.

And I never claimed the UK was any better. None of the news outlets here have so much as mentioned this. I just tweeted Johan Harri (works for the indie, one of the few journalists who continously writes good articles) but I doubt he's going to respond. There's nothing on the BBC, in the guardian or anywhere else for that.
  36. Sep 26, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

37. Sep 26, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

The lack of media coverage is bizarre. Its at least news worthy even if they don't seem to have a coherent message as yet.
  38. Sep 26, 2011

Dumbstar Full Member

I believe in Brendan, hopefully Brendan does too
    Wow, the lack of media coverage is shocking!! These aren't just a handful of people, its thousands ffs (oops, not yet thousands but can see this growing). Erm, freedom of press to erm have freedom not to report erm news.

I guess I'll have to tune into Al Jazeera and stick to internet reporting for now.
  39. Sep 26, 2011

mjs020294 Banned

Its in the media but its not getting headline attention. Basically the majority of people aren't interested so the story is being bumped well down the pecking order. The Tea Party is of interest to a lot of Americans, so its gets more than its fair share of coverage.
  40. Sep 26, 2011

Dumbstar Full Member

I believe in Brendan, hopefully Brendan does too
    Tuned into all the news channels and you're right, its not headlining anywhere. Not even Al Jazeera (missing a trick there). Surely this deserves some headline coverage if only to highlight the heavy handed policing? That's always a fun story.