Off-ball movement

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Skills, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jan 31, 2018

Skills Snitch

It kills us again, and again and again. Repeated theme for years now, when are we finally going to realise that we need to start moving off the ball to make space for some passing. We're especially exposed against teams who press well, because it's so easy to cut off static lanes.

Why are we so passive in possession? All of our players just wait for the ball to be passed to feet, hardly anyone makes runs off the ball or make themselves available for a pass. Are they all just lazy feckers who can't be arsed to move for it unless they're sure they'll get the ball? Any decent team I've watched recently constantly move, and players dip in and out making runs/dummy runs to make space for their team mates. Why can't we do that?
  2. Jan 31, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Sanchez is gonna get a harsh reality check pretty soon. He's used to football with movement at Arsenal - Chile (let's not even talk about Barca years ago).
  3. Jan 31, 2018

Igor Drefljak Definitely Russian

Edit: Ignore me :nervous:
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Jan 31, 2018

Kag Full Member

Coaching. Or lack of.

Been the same for years and it won't change no matter who we buy. Again, been saying it for years.
  5. Jan 31, 2018

Drainy Full Member

Martial and Lukaku are the worst. Straight line runs 90% of the time.
  6. Jan 31, 2018

Judas Open to offers

We're badly coached, simple as that, it needs properly investigating. Our attack should be a lot better with the talent we have. It's a troubling issue.
  7. Jan 31, 2018

pascell Full Member

Lukaku the main culprit, if he doesn't move and stays deep, everything else breaks down.

When you look at the energy levels and movement of Spurs, we were absolutely nowhere near the same level.
  8. Jan 31, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

This is similar to what I thought whenever people spoke of Griezmann last summer - like him coming in would change everything.

Bar Sanchez's individual brilliance, I fear you're going to see much of the same in future. Disjointed attacking with players looking like they do feck all in training to address it.
  9. Jan 31, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Do you think it would help to change manager?
  10. Jan 31, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Thinking exactly this while watching. Even when we pressed Spurs (which was little and airy fairy), they had an out ball?

Each of their players (without the ball) just edged into a gap so as soon as their teammates got the ball, they had one, two, three options.

We get the ball and you can see four, five United players standing still facing but NOT MOVING.

Poor.
  11. Jan 31, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Yep. You could see he was already getting frustrated against Yeovil. We are so poorly coached.
    Again, I agree. No idea what José's playing at.
  12. Jan 31, 2018

Fuzzy Dunlop Full Member

It was the same back in the days of SAF's zombie passing and got worse with LVG. I don't understand why people don't adress this. The good and old argentinean "toco y me voy" (a simple one-two) could do wonders for us.

EDIT: And I also don't understand the overuse of the fecking long balls. Play with the ball on the ground, bunch of motherfeckers! Retain possession, recycle the ball!
  13. Jan 31, 2018

Yup. Our entire season is based on individual performances, many of our goals have been brilliant shots from long range. You're not gonna many resulting from a sequence of passing and interchaning. Alexis excels at that but we don't as a team in general, instead of him elevating us, I'm afraid we're about to lower his best level.
  14. Jan 31, 2018

Kag Full Member

Could another manager get Lukaku, Pogba, Martial and now Sanchez scoring lots of goals in a fantastic attacking team? Absolutely.

So if Mourinho can't, then yes, that's right.

This isn't kneejerk either. I've been criticising this for over twelve months of Mourinho's tenure now. So I'm consistent at least.
  15. Jan 31, 2018

Skills Snitch

Alexis Sanchez - dead wood. Coming to you soon
  16. Jan 31, 2018

I'm not having a go as I have thought so myself. We should absolutely get more from our attacking players.
  17. Jan 31, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

We need to start pressing like a modern team also.
  18. Jan 31, 2018

Even if there is a terrible game here and there where is working for you, the team should have some sort of safety net in terms of playing style/mentality. Like something you can revert to in order to create something. As soon as there is a bit of difficult, we completely collapse (even if the response was good for conceding the 1st goal).
  19. Jan 31, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

I think it's really worrying that a lot of posters on here seem to think it's unthinkable that a manager other than Mourinho could get more out of the team in an attacking sense.

I expected much better attacking from Mourinho. I didn't really buy into this idea that he ruins attackers. I don't think he does but I have no idea what he trains them to do and what he expects in the final third.
  20. Jan 31, 2018

I'm in two minds about this. Undecided if Mourinho is the right man going forward.
  21. Jan 31, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Nothing new.

Our problems go deeper than just needing the best players.

Even Messi in the team would have struggled today to impose himself.

Our attacking patterns and structure are so bad most of the time. Too much reliance on individual brilliance. It's all nice and well, but if said players can't provide that, you've nothing to fall back on and you get a disjointed mess like we've seen so many times in the big games.

Even our build-up from the back is terrible. We get pressed to ease by just 1 player initiating to press(seen it happen so many times). When there's a coordinated press(like today), we completely shit the bed from the back.

And our reliance to hoof the ball constantly. We might be the worst aerial team I've ever seen despite our size.
  22. Jan 31, 2018

Personally I'm not. I don't see Mourinho as the right man going forward, I'm willing to support his team while he's here. I have never rated him that highly before and seeing him managing United has made my opinion of him worse.
  23. Jan 31, 2018

Skills Snitch

Well he better be, we just gave him a new contract with a payrise.
  24. Jan 31, 2018

I know. I think we have looked good at times this season, but we do struggle against decent opposition away in particular.