Old Trafford figurehead (Not Ed, Honest!) dictates an article to Ian Ladyman

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Maradona10, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018

Maradona10 Duncan Castles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rinho-tightrope-Manchester-United-chiefs.html

Key points
    • Some senior officials Not happy with comments on spending
    • They are okay with Mou having his own ways in dealing with Press, Officials, Opposition managers and even Ex players (Ahem!) But not happy with digs at spending
    • One united Figurehead says, players being linked to united by people close to Mourinho (Hi! duncan castles)
    • United happy with progress on the field and sympathize with the poor squad inherited by Mourinho due to Non improvement since Fergie era
    • Woodward ready to bankroll Mourinho's signing in this transfer window if required
    • Plans in place for 2 marquee signings in the summer
    • Understand united have fallen behind city,Willing to do everything necessary to catch up to city
    • Further Comments on spending will lead to confrontation with employers.
    Basically, its ed saying please dont say anything to the media and i will spend . Looks like mourinho tactic to publicly question the spending is working. Although there is a little warning about future comments too. I hope the club and Mou can do this inside the club rather than press, but it seems to be the modern day technique where managers use the press to put pressure on the club to spend .
  2. Jan 3, 2018

Greck Full Member

If he asked and was refused then he's justified to do so but if he went to the media before discussing it with the board, then that's another story.
  3. Jan 3, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

The trouble is that there’s so much prescedent set with Mourinho, his use of the media and relationship with club officials.

I doubt he would have come out publically like he did if he didn’t feel it was necessary, if the funds were on hand with no resistance. As it is, it looks like he’s leant on them and they’ve responded as it would be embarrassing for them if they’re not seen to back the manager when he acknowledges that he doesn’t have the squad to compete.
  4. Jan 3, 2018

haram Full Member

Just give him money to spend. At least they acknowledge the shite he inherited and City’s lead on us.
  5. Jan 3, 2018

ti vu Full Member

We can only speculate but clearly last summer Mourinho clearly mentioned he wanted the fourth player for wide positions (full back or winger is up to debate). We only signed, so with educated guess, it has been discussed privately with no use
  6. Jan 3, 2018

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

2 marquee signings is not really what we need...
  7. Jan 3, 2018

Siorac Full Member

If they're Lukakus then no. If Pogbas, then it's a different story.
  8. Jan 3, 2018

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I agree with your last part.

I refuse to believe that Woody and the top brass are so incompetent that they use a English tabloid to communicate with the clubs most important employe. That’s borderline insane if it’s true.

You handle internal questions like this in house. If Mou, the players or anybody else at the club don’t understand these basic concept then United have serious discipline problems at Carrington.

Please let me go back to sleep with the innocent thought that professionals are running this club and not attention seeking idiots.
  9. Jan 3, 2018

BigCaine New Member

This is exactly why we need a Director of Football in place, woodward understands as much about Football and building a team as Trump understands about being a President, letting every manager get what he wants has got us to this position, lets buy marquee players strategy is what got madrid a lot of big names but not many big trophies. City have not bought 1 player who can be considered marquee by any standards yet are playing brilliant football and winning, we need to build an actual real life football team not a FIFA 18 11.
  10. Jan 3, 2018

Sure, but we could use more like 5 players than 2. Whether a player is "marquee" and commands headlines all summer shouldn't be an important point.
  11. Jan 3, 2018

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Why would the club resist the spending in the first place, unless there were financial reasons? I'd only like us to spend what we could reasonably afford. Is £150m+ every year really feasible for us?
  12. Jan 3, 2018

gica_7 Full Member

It's not just Pogbas also. We need some Ji Sun Park's and Nani's to fill the squad. United's squad has the depth but it's not a quality depth. Two or three signings will of course improve United but United needs even more.

I am sorry but they shouldn't be. United was incredibly late to understand the shift in the market. After Ronaldo left, we spent far less compared to our rivals because United thought the value just wasn't there in the market.Most of the problems we have goes way back to that period. Sir Alex was a genius because he was able to lead a squad full of Cleverleys to the title. But it didn't mean United was doing the right thing. Now, United has to spend and maybe spend even more than it's rivals. And senior officals in our club shouldn't be sad to hear the truth.
  13. Jan 3, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

You're reading something that simply isn't there. Where in the article does it say we are ONLY going to bring in 2 players?
  14. Jan 3, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

Our wages-to-turnover is very low in comparison to the rest of the league, so theoretically we should be able to spend that kind of money and still leave a pot for the shareholders to dip into, whilst paying off the remnants of the debt.

Additionally, earmarking funds for summer spending is much more preferable than giving funds to a manager in January, whilst the shit could still hit the fan before the end of the season. Every club is going to have a manager they want in place in the summer and therefore investment at whatever level is guaranteed then, regardless of who is in charge.
  15. Jan 3, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I think it has something to do with what Mourinho previously said about Neymar transfer hiked the price further. Perhaps the club valued some players below their clubs asking price. However, as thing turned out, the price only keeps rising (look at all these VVD, Coutinho rumored price). We do need more players and since there is no backtracking in player price, we realize we made the wrong move not following through with another/few more signings. Now we end up paying same fee but damage due to lack option in the squad already done.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. Jan 3, 2018

2 Girls 1 Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Exactly what they should be doing. Basically: Stop bitching, you'll get money.
  17. Jan 3, 2018

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

Below is from another thread but also very relevant here:

Anyone know about the clubs P&L and current cash flow?

How much cash do we have to invest in new transfers (fee and wages) over next calendar year if these ratios remain consistent or if we get closer to City and Liverpool ratios?
  18. Jan 3, 2018

Not in this article. Mourinho has said he's only bringing in 2-3 come summer (and none in Jan)
  19. Jan 3, 2018

Greck Full Member

Doubt we'll stop at 2. Regardless 2 marquee signings is in the 200-300Mil range at least. He doesn't have to spend it all on just 2 players.
  20. Jan 3, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

No shit, Sherlock? Would have never guessed that was Jose's motive. Typical Ed.

I approve of the pressure. We need to spend, it is criminal that we are not going after a winger in January anyway.

2 signings ain't enough. Unless its' 2 marquee signings and 3 more for our various problem areas.
  21. Jan 3, 2018

midnightmare Full Member

A lot of this depends on what you classify as the spend and what you classify as income. Financially, "income" refers to profits, but I assume here you mean it as "revenues". If so, and I don't know how the Liverpool number was arrived at (did it include wages? Was it net or gross? No idea on these), then United's revenues being ~GBP 575 Mn, would mean we could spend up to GBP 250 Mn and be at "just" 43% of revenues.

This of course doesn't take into account the payment structuring either. Typically fees are paid in tranches which are spread over the duration of a player's contract. From an accounting and profitability standpoint, we'd need to see the amortization on an annual basis in order to assess how the financials would look.

The figures you've indicated for United last season seem to tie in with the simplistic view of "total fee as a percentage of revenue" being the numbers mentioned. This however is not how the accountants and suits will see it. They will look at the cashflows and also the impact on annual P&L. This is not something you can get at without looking into the complete P&L + B/S in detail.

PS: No, I'm not a CA, just a lowly management consultant and therefore not inclined to do any more research into this.
    PPS: What's more interesting is that our wages:revenue number is very low compared to a lot of the others in the top 6 (lowest, I think) so to say that we're actually capable of doing a lot more than we do would not be a massive stretch.

Edit: Quick glance shows that last year, our amortization cost (including the Pogba transfer therefore, but before Lukaku) was just GBP 123 Mn - much lower than the "announced" spends which were far higher. This shows we do have the funds to spare (and how well we structure deals?) and also how little the announced fee matters when you assess the financial outlays.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  22. Jan 3, 2018

Werd. New Member

Show me the money, Ed.
  23. Jan 3, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

on the grounds that it's in the mail, it's either 1) Total bollocks or 2) Made up
  24. Jan 3, 2018

SER19 Full Member Scouse Lover

So they're aware we have fallen behind, pretty much agree with everything he says in so far as they are prepared to back him, but don't want it said out loud? No, players are manager get battered when not performing, so should the suits.
  25. Jan 3, 2018

red thru&thru Full Member

Agreed.

And credit to Jose, at his last presser, he did say he never said the club never backed him. He said the club have backed him but he needs more/current investment isn't enough.
  26. Jan 3, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Marquee this marquee that. Why doesn’t Ed just marry a marquee?
  27. Jan 3, 2018

King.of.Red New Member

Well, when they decided to hire Jose, they should expect how crazy Jose is. He is a winner and will do everything to win and in this case, he want more money to get better players for his team. And as a fan, I'm happy...
    Come on, Ed!
  28. Jan 3, 2018

Skills Snitch

They've just told him to feck off and get on with the job.
  29. Jan 3, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

Lafayette is single.
  30. Jan 3, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Of course they know that. They are not completely incompetent.
  31. Jan 3, 2018

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

To some extent you'd expect that Mourinho was trying to manage public expectations with his comments about wanting to spend more. But you also get the impression he's been trying to pressure the board into spending more, been going on ever since the summer with his comments about being happy but not getting every player.

Now on itself I don't think it's particularly great that Mourinho's doing this. But the real concerning part is obviously that I doubt he'd be making these comments if he felt it wasn't truly necessary. Now add this article on top, it's not the first time we hear stories about the strange communication in the club, particularly involving Woodward. Some weird shit alright.
  32. Jan 3, 2018

United Pro Full Member

2 marquee signings could cost upwards of £150m (depending on the positions of course) and based off recent transfer expenditures, we won't spend a lot more than around that figure in 1 summer. So, given this and that Mourinho has said we'll sign about 2/3 players in the summer, it's a fairly safe assumption that we'll sign close to 2 players, rather than make wholesale changes to the squad. Saying that, I think it's also dependent on how many transfers can be made in January, as there's obviously budget left over from last summer when we didn't purchase the 4th signing Mourinho wanted.
  33. Jan 3, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member Scouse Lover

I hate all this make-believe cloak-and-dagger stuff.

As much as Woodward has made mistakes, Mourinho also needs to acknowledge that he's at the most politically-neutral football club anywhere around. I get he has been surprised at the way Manchester United are run, but this is the first big club he's been at whereby nobody is trying to undermine him. As a club, United are guilty of giving too much responsibility to the manger (a by-product of the SAF era), but I honestly thought Mourinho would thrive in this setup. As it is, he's just seems agitated with everything.

Then again, he always did like to pick a fight in an empty room.
  34. Jan 3, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Why does it have to be 2 Marquee players. We need numbers, I would say 2 Full Backs, a Midfield/Playmaker, and a Goalscoring Winger.
  35. Jan 3, 2018

SwSw New Member

I have no idea who the marquee signings are, but we better not blow 150m on two players. We have way more holes to fill.
  36. Jan 3, 2018

712 Formerly '711' but that was a ridiculous username!

I got as far as some club chiefs, senior officials and a prominent figurehead. That's about it really.
  37. Jan 3, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

You do realise he means a new wedding planner sponsor?
  38. Jan 3, 2018

cyberman Full Member Scouse Lover

Looks like bullshit to me.
    If it were true then Jose wouldn't need to make it public anyway and it's not as if he's running to the media everyday to warrant the need of a briefing
  39. Jan 3, 2018

Bastian Full Member

If they are happy with his performance but dissatisfied with him more or less saying he needs more to spend, then job done as far as Jose is concerned: he's come out and pretty much said that the expectations are too high for the money available. A big club lacking a big team. Which begs the question, what is the vision the board has.
  40. Jan 3, 2018

Rory 7 Full Member

Indeed.