Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019

Saffron New Member

Funny thing is Liverpool were in a similar situation with their previous owners, but instead of making constant excuses for the parasites who were gutting their club they actually made their voices heard, organized mass protests and forced them out.

And look at where they are now.
  2. Jun 8, 2019

SteveW Full Member

I despise political correctness. I'm just shocked that someone thinks a 70 year old couldnt possibly use the internet
  3. Jun 8, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

So many people think just because we criticize Ole and think he isn't the right man, we won't be happy to be proven wrong. I honestly would love to be wrong and see Ole succeed, its' just that I don't feel he will.
  4. Jun 8, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

Exactly. And it would be bizarre if we didn't voice those concerns on a forum specifically built to encourage discussion! Others will disagree, and that is - of course - their prerogative, but as far as I'm concerned it is clear as day that we have made a huge mistake and appointed a guy who wouldn't have been anywhere near anyone's top 50 choices 6 months ago, based on a single run of (admittedly excellent) form and a fortuitous win against PSG. Those few games have allowed the club to be diverted from their original plan and it's now like being stuck in a nightmare that you can't wake up from.

But the notion that I wouldn't be absolutely overjoyed if Ole proves me wrong is mental.
  5. Jun 8, 2019

Kag Full Member

Being of the belief that Ole might not be the right man is fine. Believing him to be an inexperienced option with no proven track record of success is fine - and somewhat true. But writing him off altogether and criticising him for situations that haven’t even occurred yet is simply unfair.

He ended the season with a squad full of unfit players, many of whom had been struck down by injury. He hasn’t had an opportunity to bring in his own players either. Yet noise from the club indicates a shift towards talented, young players that have good attitudes, which is a step in the right direction.

He says all the right things and knows that United teams must be attacking ones. He wants the team to be taking control of games and playing higher up the pitch. Can he coach that into the team? I don’t know, but we’ll soon find out. So instead of acting like toddler, I’m willing to ride it out.

If September arrives and Ashley Young is still playing at full back then I’ll be the first to direct criticism at all involved. Likewise, if we get to Christmas with no discernible pattern of play, then I’ll be worried. Just as I was quick to recognise (about six months in) that Mourinho was never going to work here. But we’re not there yet.

What’s certain is that this summer is crucial. Our players need a tough pre season and we do need a bit of a turnover (which I have previously been against). If this doesn’t happen, then it’s going to be the suits getting the stick. If a club legend is to go down then it won’t be pretty for the suits above him.
  6. Jun 9, 2019

sp_107 New Member

Ole has to be shrewed in this market if he wants to live his dream of taking back Man Utd to its peaks again

Werner/ Haller/ MDembele
    Brandt/Richarlison/Pepe
    Felix/Harverrz/Maddison/Bruno/Erickson
    Sancho/Benjwein/Lorenzo/
    Barella/Rabbiot/Aouar/Tilesman/Thiago
    Ndombele/Rodri/Neves/Partey
    Delegit/Maguire/Minalos/Anderson/Toby
    AWS/Meunière/Cancelo/

If can sign 5/7 players from the above list as Pogba, Lukaku, Alexis are leaving, I think we can start playing good football again.
  7. Jun 9, 2019

sunama Baghdad Bob

My thoughts exactly.
    I was on cloud 9 when we were the best team in Europe (when he first took over), but after the disastrous last 2-3 months, I can't see him making it into 2020 as our manager. I do hope I'm wrong, though.
  8. Jun 9, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

Did they feck.

We complained just as much and more vigorously. We can't actually impact that much.
  9. Jun 9, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Not sure are people faking or they for real like that. Bunch of weirdos.
  10. Jun 9, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

You have no idea how good most of them are at football. You probably haven't seen half of them play!
  11. Jun 10, 2019 at 20:35

George The Best Full Member

Like many I have my reservations about Ole as manager, but we are where we are so i’ll support him to the hilt. My real gripe is not with Ole, it’s not his fault he was appointed, but with the process, or lack of, by Ed and the Board. It’s not even clear if he was given a formal interview, with the opportunity to lay out his plans and help determine if he was really the right person for the job. We should have followed due process, waited until the end of the season, invited candidates to apply and interview them accordingly. Who knows who may have popped out of the woodwork. Instead we just ‘annointed’ him due to a good run of form. Pretty much the same as the previous 3 managers who were, seemingly, appointed without competition.

The interview stage gives candidates an opportunity to think through and present their plans in a detailed manner. You would hope that we would then act upon the plans of the chosen candidate, as they have ‘sold’ their vision of the club successfully. Instead, the scattergun approach we seem to be using in this window suggests, at least, that there was no well thought out plan and we are simply making it up as we go along.

Good luck Ole - I think you will need it.
  12. Jun 10, 2019 at 20:38

Kag Full Member

What (fictional) scattergun approach to the transfer window are we taking, exactly?

I also find it staggering that you believe the executive members of the board didn’t sit down with Ole and discuss his vision for the first team and beyond. Rather they rocked up to Ole’s door one day and stuffed a contract up his arse. Give over.
  13. Jun 10, 2019 at 20:49

1. We are being linked with anybody and everybody at the moment, except a RW which is a real concern.

2. We did pretty much as you suggest. What other views did we seek from professional candidates in the market? If not then how do we know that Ole’s vision, if he gave one, was the best. We have no idea who may have been interested in the job and how they would have approached it. That was irresponsible imo.
  14. Jun 10, 2019 at 20:55

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Imagine taking transfer links so seriously as to shit on the club over them. :lol:
  15. Jun 10, 2019 at 20:58

Jeffthered Full Member

I just worry about Ole'. He seemed a little overwhelmed towards the end of the season, and people are going to expect to see some sort of progress, and, I would suggest more importantly, he needs to show some authority in the role.

He took the job. No one forced him. So now it's about him, and his talent.

But I am not sure. Hope he can sort something out. Club's just drifting.....
  16. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:09

Kag Full Member

1. This is Manchester United. No club shifts news like it. Of course the club is linked with everybody and anybody. The newspapers wouldn’t be doing their job very well if we weren’t. So this isn’t an indictment of transfer policy, is it?

2. You’re speculating now. That’s kind for chatting rubbish, for me. You (or I) have no idea who the club spoke to before appointing. But it fits easily into your boring narrative to suggest that club just rocked up and offered a contract to Ole without discussing with him what his long term vision would be. The suggestion that no real conversation had taken place is just laughable, frankly.
  17. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:11

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

We've bought Daniel James who can play on the right.
    We are linked with Bale who favours the right.
    We are linked with Sancho, who's a right winger.
  18. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:13

Rafaeldagold Full Member

Didn’t LVG say the board didn’t really ask him about his vision for the club?

It does look like we just handed him the job in back of some good results as let’s be honest he’s not the best managerial candidate we could have chosen.

So hardly laughable
  19. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:21

clarkydaz Full Member

Yes LVG said we were the only club who didn't ask him about football philosophy or style. I do remember one of his pressers when pressure was mounting regarding the dull football. He said the club should have knew the manager they were hiring
  20. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:27

Kag Full Member

Didn’t Van Gaal refer to the playing ‘philosophy’, in particular?

Either way, the remark made was that “it’s not even clear if he was given the opportunity to lay out his plans”. That is laughable, yes.

I’m not going to believe that executives at a behemoth like Manchester United didn’t sit down with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and discuss his thoughts and ideas on what he thought about United in its current guise and what he could do to improve the football aspect of the business. Because that did happen. Of course it did. It had to. Who we may or may not have spoken to before that point is simply conjecture. There is enough genuine criticism of United (merited, too) without having to put up fiction like this. Or shitty comments about a scattergun transfer approach because the newspapers have decided to link us to every bloke and his dog.
  21. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:29

Zen86 Full Member

The recruitment and HR teams must be held to account in all this. I would guess Ole didn’t even need to submit an application for the job.
  22. Jun 10, 2019 at 21:35

Berba's_Flick Full Member

Good sensible post. Agree with it all
  23. Jun 10, 2019 at 22:11

Yep, looks that way doesn’t it.
  24. Jun 10, 2019 at 22:21

2. Just tell me if you think we fully interviewed any other candidate. If so who? - and I really think you know the answer to that. I’m not suggesting Ole didn’t put forward his vision - just that nobody else was able to, so there is no way of determining if his was the best or not. Suppose we held an ‘open contest’ at the end of the season, as was the plan. Then suppose that somebody like Poch (or equivalent) threw their hat in the ring and came up with a better solution. That is what we should have done. I like Ole, but our manager needs to earn the job on merit, that’s all.
  25. Jun 10, 2019 at 22:23

Revaulx Full Member

Indeed. All press speculation. It’s been scattergun in the past; let’s hope it isn’t from now on.

I really hope you’re right. I don’t think it’s ridiculously far fetched to believe otherwise though.
  26. Jun 11, 2019 at 17:03

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

27. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:03

crossy1686 Full Member

Bet Martial's on suicide watch.
  28. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:18

Kapardin Full Member

Sancho links ran cold just around the time we signed James, and he didn't want to come anyway. Bale was never a real link, the journos just link him with us whenever he seems likely to contemplate a move.

There are zero RW links at the moment which is a concern. A front 3 of Martial, Rashford and James wouldn't cross 15 goals together in all likelihood.
  29. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:29

Nuts Full Member

‘Staggering’, eh?

Given the amateur-hour they’ve presided over since SAF left, your faith in them is genuinely touching.
  30. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:34

oggy boy New Member

If he gets United to top 4 next season and improves individually and team performance it would be worth hiring.
  31. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:36

Nuts Full Member

This is HILARIOUS!!! :lol:

You think ‘6 months in’ qualifies as ‘quick to recognise’ Mourinho was going to fail?

Some of us were arguing three or four years before his appointment that he shouldn’t be installed at United.

As for ‘patterns of play’ - you’re actually happy to wait another six months for one to emerge?

Klopp and Guardiola arrived with their identities well known to even half interested fans. What’s Solskjaer’s team’s identity/pattern of play?

If you can’t say, then why was he given a full time contract?
  32. Jun 11, 2019 at 18:57

Hughie77 New Member

He's been given the job, no matter how anybody feels about it, I still think they should have waited till May to give it to him?
    He could well be the wrong man?
    But it's a bigger picture than the manager at UTD, transfer policy has to change, we will see this window how far it's changed?

He needs to bring in the targets he's been looking at first, then we can find out if he can get them playing better, more consistant.

Proved he done it for 14 games or so then fell away, players not manager.
  33. Jun 11, 2019 at 20:29

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Liverpool fans have started calling him Santa Claus, because he’ll be gone after Christmas.
  34. Jun 11, 2019 at 20:47

Kag Full Member

Believing that Mourinho was going to fail before he got the job is guesswork and conjecture based on pre-existing perceptions. Six months into a job is enough physical evidence to come to a conclusion based on reality. So you can stick your smiley caps up your chute.

Solskjaer speaks of ensuring that United are hard working and positive in our approach to football. For a period of time, we started to do this under his guidance. Then the wheels fell off for a number of reasons. Now he is here full time, I’m happy to give him a period of time to put these ideals into practice. Will it work? I don’t know.

If you disagree with my willingness to allow him time to give it a go then fair enough. You can celebrate how right you are in the near-to-mid future on an internet forum.
  35. Jun 11, 2019 at 20:48

Nuts Full Member

What’s his pattern of play though?
  36. Jun 11, 2019 at 20:51

Kag Full Member

I don’t know. Hopefully an attacking one which involves aggression, intensity and width.

If, by Christmas, we’re struggling with movement in the attacking third and finding it a challenge to control the tempo of matches against the likes of Brighton then I’ll have concerns.
  37. Jun 11, 2019 at 21:00

Nuts Full Member

So you’ve no idea... Doesn’t alarm you slightly that United have appointed a manager with an unknown style of play and are now shelling out many millions on players to build a team without having a manager’s proven blueprint to base these investments on?

I’m sorry to be on such a downer, but when you compare this to Liverpool, City and Spurs it’s just so far behind the work that those clubs have done on recruiting and building teams effectively and with a defined identity.

Look at the way Guardiola so quickly signed full backs - because he’d spent years refining a style so already knew exactly what he wanted. Look at Klopp’s signings last summer - he knew exactly what his team lacked and every single signing contributed to them challenging City all the way, and winning the CL.

Without that blueprint, I can’t see how we can even begin to safely invest let alone make up 35 points on Liverpool and City.

Hoping that a ‘pattern of play emerges by Christmas’ seems pretty forlorn...
  38. Jun 11, 2019 at 21:19

Glideman New Member

I love it when people ask people about pattern of play when they only know 2 managers pattern of play.

What’s Tuchel pattern or Zidane or Kovac or Nuno’s?

All most fans know is pressing, triangles and formations
  39. Jun 11, 2019 at 21:26

Nuts Full Member

You honestly believe that?

Foreign leagues aside, any Caftard could tell you how a Redknapp team would set up and play. Or a Pulis one, Pochetino, Dyche, Hughes, Wenger, SAF, Benitez, Wagner etc etc.

Just to point out your comment that ‘they only know 2 manager’s patterns of play’ is incorrect.
  40. Jun 11, 2019 at 22:06

Zen86 Full Member

Let’s be fair here, it’s you who has no idea. I’m sure Ole knows exactly how he wants to set up the team. Anything contrary is pure speculation.