Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jul 9, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

fecking hell, first thing it's rich from you to call any posts poor or lack content. Maybe you don't read your own posts or accuse anyone of polluting any discussion. If anything this thread is a shit fest thanks to you and couple of your buddies (and few more who are banned)

Re bold part, it's hilarious. Ole was also long term permanent manager and both (Jose and Van Gaa) of them had very poor form not once but multiple times and they didn't even play great teams like PSG, Barca in their poor run of form.

re second bold part, :lol: desperate to add these little things in every post. Sums up your posts though.
  2. Jul 9, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

He's getting his chance, and in the ground I will be supportive. If that's OK with you?
  3. Jul 9, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

I don't even know what you're trying to say now and I suspect you don't either. Quick question for you to keep things simple - do you think LVG and Mourinho would have been sacked if they had ended the season with that run of form?
  4. Jul 9, 2019

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

They keep saying SAF was nearly sacked. No he wasn't. It was the fans who were wanting him sacked not the club. The club stuck with him, but he also had a great track record. Pep and Zidane took over great teams and were giving backing to get the best, not a board who know nothing about football, cannot negotiate to save their lives and at times overrule the incumbant manager.
  5. Jul 9, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Moyes didn't have credentials to become United manager. He became one because of Fergie and us not vetoing that decision. He was mediocre manager just like Ole. Ole is much more similar to Moyes than Moyes is to LvG and Jose.

We have tried the non United manager standard already - Moyes. Turned out the worst appointment of the bunch.
  6. Jul 9, 2019

No. First 10 games, Van Gaal got 13 points, this is excluding the hilarious 4-0 loss against MK dons. So 11 games - 3 wins - 4 draws - 4 losses. This is after signing the players he wanted and had preseason.

Second season, 8 games without a win and we didnt even play any decent team except Chelesa. Apart from this, our form from Oct 25th to Jan was shit. He still survived.

In 2016-17, we played 11 league games with 2 wins, 3 losses and 6 draws.
    Ended season with 1 win in last 6 games, this season we ended season with 1 win in last 6 league games. Only difference is we played shit teams in Europa league to save his ass, we played PSG and Barca this season in CL.

All these managers spent money, had preseason and still had poor form (multiple times) still they weren't sacked.
  7. Jul 9, 2019

Tom Cato Full Member

I hereby permit you, gracefully, with the power invested in me by no one, to be supportive.
  8. Jul 9, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

This is a crucial question that needs more discussion.

We all want the club to do well but some of us are not in agreement about the best way forward. I found that a healthy discussion.

What separates Ole Gunnar from Moyes/LvG/Mou is that he’s in a unique position as a former player, and that gives him extra credibility among us supporters, something the other managers didn’t have.

We can all agree that the squad is a mess of different players bought by managers with different philosophy’s. I think we can also agree that many players isn’t directly committed to the club, some maybe care more about money and others want to leave for different reasons. That’s a problem any new manager needs to address and ASAP fix so he can implement his ideas. To succeed Ole Gunnar needs most of his players to be on the same page, he needs them to be committed and most important he can’t have rotten apples in his squad, history has shown us multiple times what that can do to the results.

At the moment we have several key players who wants to leave. Pogba and Lukaku has even going so far that they instruct their agents to make noises so it will happen. If the club can’t find a solution around this problem then Ole will face a uphill battle from day one of this season. Why put himself in such situation?

In his last interview Ole Gunnar acted as everything is rosy and on schedule. Not one single word of concerns and a few hours later supporters around the world could read about our mess. Doesn’t install confidence if you ask me.

Now to the part when we disagree. In my book Solskjaer has a golden opportunity to speak out in public about his concerns. Doesn’t mean he’s negative or not committed. It means he has serious concerns about the future and how this will affect our results. Nobody will blame him for being honest. Nobody will ask for his head. A manager who address what everybody can see will gain credibility among supporters and probably from local media. In that situation it will be almost impossible for the owners and Woodward to not help him. It’s also a about showing leadership. This club needs a leader who take control. Right now we are a super tank without a visible captain on board. One yes man, one account man who doesn’t seems to understand football and invisible owners who cares about .....money ... I suppose...

So what’s the benefit of being frank and honest.

I think he will buy himself time, nobody expect him to immediately turn this around. He will find acceptance to clear the deck from deadwood and players who’re not committed.

My experience is that it will be easier to turn this ship around with committed players then with over paid prima donnas. Maybe we will take a big hit financially, maybe it will take time to rebuild but give me a better solution. We need to try and the person with power to makes this happen apart from the owners is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

It’s impossible to be 100% sure but I think we can find enough quality replacement to finish top four if we try hard enough. Then when this is done we can build from that position.

That’s my take. I understand if not everyone agrees with me but after almost 40 years experience I know one important thing. Motivation and hunger can climb mountains and the ride to reach the top is also a huge attraction to many young talents. I want to be part of that ride as a supporter, I don’t want to witness another lame season with players who don’t care and a glorified yes sayer whiteout charisma and leadership.
  9. Jul 9, 2019

Thisistheone Full Member

I love Ole but totally get the concerns some have. It's no surprise that he is the bookies favourite to get the sack first this season, along with Lampard.

If the board think he'll turn out to be a huge success like Pep/Barca & Zidane/Real, then they're mad, quite frankly. Mainly cos our squad just doesn't compare. More likely he'll end up similar to Inzaghi, Seedorf, Gattuso at Milan.
  10. Jul 9, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

That’s a very good post mate. Agree with all these.
  11. Jul 9, 2019

They succeeded because they were given the tools to work with. He might surprise us, but I just have my doubts.
  12. Jul 9, 2019

I haven't any coach who spoke against owners and survived. Not even SAF did that, they should keep everything in the house. Obviously they should push for the deals internally but once it's out in public, it always ends in one way and we all know that.
  13. Jul 9, 2019

Nou_Camp99 Full Member

I don't see how they can sack him unless we are not in top 6. The squad he has isn't even top 4 quality. It's an utter mess.

We are closer in quality to Wolves, Leicester, Everton n Westham than we are to the top 2.

An absolute monstrous year where we finish lower than 6th would be great for me. It would put serious pressure on Glazer scum to sell up. Woodward wouldn't even be safe at the ground I don't think.
  14. Jul 9, 2019

Thisistheone Full Member

Exactly. Ole isn't working with Messi, Xavi & Iniesta. Or Ronaldo, Modric & Kroos.

He's working with a mess like those Milan managers had. Maybe worse.
  15. Jul 9, 2019

Some of the people we are being rumoured to be interested in are the sort of players a club would sign to keep them out of relegation trouble, not to challenge for the Top 4.
  16. Jul 9, 2019

The Milan clubs are a great comparison and they are still a million miles away from Juventus and that may never change.
  17. Jul 9, 2019

romufc Full Member

I cannot agree with this more, whenever something like this is mentioned, the response I have got is Mourinho did that look what happened.

However; this is different, in that the fans, ex players, and I am sure Ole himself by coming out and saying this is last time you will see certain players, believe that this group of players is not good enough and 4/5 first team signings are required.

So far he has not been backed by the board like they said they would, and have not got rid of players either.

I do not expect Ole to come out and moan, he is well spoken so I would hope that he can find the right way to put pressure on the board and gain extra time from the supporters because, the way it is going Old Trafford could be hostile within a month of the start of the season.
  18. Jul 9, 2019

Ole is backtracking on a lot of things he said. A lot may have been said in the heat of the moment. His emotions getting the better of him. Maybe reality is beginning to set in for him. We will not know until the window is shut.

I am dreading seeing Gareth Bale skulking through Manchester Airport towards the end of this window.
  19. Jul 9, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

He don’t speak against the owners. Why do you thing that’s the case?

We don’t even know the owners stance on this. A good leader show ambitions, is honest and describes what he sees. Such qualities is valuable and rare. The owners aren’t stupid, they care about their investments and committed co workers will always be rewarded. As long as Solskjær doesn’t go behind their back it’s no problem. Address the problems, inform, then present a way forward. Questions!?
  20. Jul 9, 2019

Why do you think it's not discussed? Just because he isn't saying anything in public doesn't mean he might not have discussed it with owners/Woodward.

SAF was great leader, how many times did he talk about the problems in public? He doesn't have to, as long as he believes there is good work being done behind the scenes.

What we need is manager and the management team working as a team, solving issues internally and create a great atmosphere at the club, not washing their dirty laundry in public.
  21. Jul 9, 2019

Bastian Full Member

It's one thing to voice your concerns internally, and another to act publicly like everything is great. That's my issue with this. Would it be problematic to say we've signed two good players and are working tirelessly to improve the squad, expecting more signings. More vague and neutral. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but I started getting more worried when he said we were a fantastically well run club.
  22. Jul 9, 2019

Grande Full Member

But if it’s not in public, how will we know? We, the fans, beed to know, in order to make informed decisions. Will Andy Mitten at least tell us?
  23. Jul 9, 2019

He also said we signed 2 players and will do more business.
  24. Jul 9, 2019

momo83 New Member

I love Ole Solskjaer the legend of a player. The problem is that some people can’t differentiate between legend of a player and now manager who really, after 10 years in management, has done nothing to justify his permanent appointment.

People were clamouring for him to be made permanent manager off the back of 10 matches. But then when things went south the argument was “don’t judge him now, judge him after he’s had a window”

Ok now his got his window and honestly he’s appearing just as out of his depth, if not more, then Moyes did. People still backed Moyes even when a blind man could see he was crap simply because of “your job now is to support your new manager” people will back Ole even when it becomes more obvious that he’s wrong, when season starts, simply because he was a legend of the player. But truth is signs are there now, just as with Moyes, just as with mourinho in his last season that it’s not going to work for whatever reason.

Also this talk about him being a “young manager” is really bull crap, he’s mid 40s and has 10 years experience. He’s age where managers enter their peak, eg Pep, Klop, Poch, Conte etc. SAF was very rare to keep winning into his 60s and 70s. Most managers peak years are between 40-50 before they decline, eg Wenger.
  25. Jul 9, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He walked into a difficult situation.

He should be judged from now on, he's had a window and pre season. If we end up going 10 games without a win he will be under pressure.
  26. Jul 9, 2019

Glideman New Member

Do fans want Ole to go full Mourinho?
  27. Jul 9, 2019

C'est Moi Cantona Full Member

They'll sacrifice him that's for sure, but not a chance in hell will this just be brushed under the carpet like the others were, the media, fans, ex players, etc, will not let it happen, the heat will be cranked up to white hot for the Glazers and Ed, not that I expect it to ultimately change anything.
  28. Jul 9, 2019

Keefy18 Full Member

Not really a fair comparison is it?

Ole was only in the job a few months and hadn't even started putting his own stamp on the team!

The last line is perfect.

LVG was over bearing and a control freak from all reports. Add to that his ideals were never going to last for the 3 years.

Jose is a drama queen and the minute you dare tell him no out go the toys from the pram.

As supporters we've completely excused our managers from coaching / improving the players at the club.

The last thing we need now is more drama and scandal around the club.
  29. Jul 9, 2019

DSG Full Member

I’d rather have a team that works their socks off, is young, exciting, a side filled with speed and tenacity and finishes 6th vs. a group of malcontents like Pogba, Sanchez and Martial (at times) who dishonor the badge finish 4th.

Ole will have my support, at least through this first full season, assuming he stays in the top 6 and makes a decent run in Europa and the domestic cups. Keeping fingers crossed that he can pip 4th and get us back in the CL.
  30. Jul 9, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

Just look at Molde analysis under him. It's pretty clear, and it's a great way of playing, a lot of will to score goals, sacrifices a bit the defense so he needs better defenders, but even the 6 is allowed to score. His fundamental ides about high press and ball control are close to Pep but he does use some of the counter attacking work Klopp also uses, but I think that's more his United experience talking. Anyway, it's been said he has a record of taking youth players and improving their scoring and playing abilities, especially strikers. So this should be valued as that's an area where we lack quality right now, not in potential, but in term if finishing.
  31. Jul 9, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

That's just your opinion, and you have no idea how people who favor Brexit think. They won't care, and will think it's a side effect of Europe again. So no exception for EPL. I don't hope it, but you have no way to guess, and the worst case scenario is that English players become even more rare and valuable.
  32. Jul 9, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

Moyes and Ole don't even play in the same tactical shape, so how is that even comparable?
  33. Jul 9, 2019

Rish Sawhney New Member

To compare Ole and Moyes is as dumb as saying since Mourinho didn’t work out we should never get Pep.
  34. Jul 9, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Neither do you or anyone in fact. There might be a flood of epic proportions next year, yet you don’t see arc being build do you ? :)
    we’re talking about credentials here. Tactics and shapes don’t really matter.
  35. Jul 9, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Fantastic post.
  36. Jul 9, 2019

Awwal Lawal New Member

Excellent post.

To add to this, except anyone believes in a conspiracy or that Woodward is a total idiot will this current situation not affect the owners.

Hence, the question that needs to be answered is "Can Ed not see the link between a successful United Club on the pitch and a successful United at the Board Room level?" Reading through the Ed Woodward thread and the answers provided by posters such as @Keefy18 and the likes, the question is "If truly Ed has a master-plan in place prior to the sacking of Mourinho (there are some people who believes he was undeservedly sacked), then Ed should have implemented those/that (pick any one appropriate) plan.

The lack of/slow implementation of that plan and apathy towards providing a united playing squad does not point to a coherent strategy in place.

Thus, synthesizing the whole points the question is "What should the fans expect in the new season considering all things?"
  37. Jul 9, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

Good points but on the 'speaking out', maybe he just isn't 'concerned' in the way as many fans are getting hysterical about transfers. He can't force Madrid or Inter to pay the the money we want to get things moving with Pogba and Lukaku or any other players not in his plans. If he is being informed of what is happening with transfers and what the options will be depending on who leaves there is nothing to complain about publicly.

By most accounts we have made a bid for Maguire that was rejected, this is at least progress from Ed turning down Mourinho's suggestions last summer.
  38. Jul 9, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

It is very similar, which is why I don't put any stock in our progression against PSG.

Yes we showed great mental fight and all, but the performance wasn't good. It was fluke-like similar to Chelsea's progression against Barcelona and then subsequent win vs Bayern in the final.
  39. Jul 10, 2019

matt10000 New Member

You can not say that we have already tried a manager the same as Ole in Moyes.

Ole is NOT a clone of Moyes for the following reasons:

1. Ole spent about ten years of his playing career at united often on the bench analysing games with SAF
    2. Ole worked for Ferguson at Old Trafford, coaching the first team strikers 2007-08 season
    3. Ole managed the united reserve team on a full time basis during 2007-08 (end part of season), 2008-09, 2009-10 and won the following
    • Premier Reserve League North 2009-10
    • Premier Reserve league 2009-10 (after play off against South winners Aston Villa)
    • Lancashire Senior Cup 2008-09
    • Manchester Senior Cup 2009
    4. Ole managed Molde where he won the following:
    • Norway top league 2011 - won in Ole's first season in charge
    • Norway top league 2012
    • Norway Football Cup 2013
    How long had Moyes spent at united before his appointment and what had he won anywhere in all of those years - Community Shield and second division with Preston?
  40. Jul 10, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

You missed the point.

We were discussing appointing managers with and without credentials. LvG and Jose had the resume and have managed top clubs before - Moyes and Ole didn't.

Some said in this thread that Ole was a new approach - appointing someone without credentials, which actually isn't. We appointed someone who managed lesser club - Moyes and who was in management for 10+ years.

Of course their approach, tactics and personality would be different, but here we're discussing credentials and no - neither Moyes or Ole had those to manage a top club prior being appointed.