Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jul 10, 2019

matt10000 New Member

Depends how you define new approach and what attributes qualify as new?

If you define new approach as appointing someone who has been at the club for over a decade as a player, coach and reserve tem manager then by that definition it is a new approach.

If you say it is not a new approach then by my definition you miss the point sir.
  2. Jul 10, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

I so much hope Ole blows the water in the first 20 games of the season and we are leading the league. At this point, it drives me crazy to see him being disrespected like that. Maybe he's not a tactical genius, although a lot of the analysis done by many show that his sides have a very pragmatic approach of the game, but he does have an ideal and when players can deliver it, it is very attacking minded and effective at scoring. There are stories of Ole having improved a young lad striker at Molde who was having finishing issues. You don't think this kind of stuff is going to help some of our players, namely Martial, Rashford, Lingard (yes, Lingard with his movement but improved finishing could be something!), even Lukaku, who is a more natural finisher and his "problems" seem to be a bit different?
  3. Jul 10, 2019

He'sRaldo New Member

I think Ole's slump is comparable to the slump Klopp routinely endures every winter period.

I browse Liverpool forums at times and I've seen similar moods there every season where they're getting draws and losses against weaker sides in January-March, the players look knackered, and quite a few fans are vehemently questioning Klopp's management. The only time it was (slightly) different was this past season due to Klopp being more conservative, as well as them being in a title race.

If the slump was mostly down to fitness, which the coaching staff might suspect, it may explain why we're renewing contracts. As much as everyone would love a clearout, it would make sense to prepare for the effects of a long season of high-intensity football by securing backups who will play in case of injuries and not complain about being on the bench.
  4. Jul 11, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

That slump has been a big issue at Dortmund too, but how do we counter it? Ole needs to counter it by being a little smarter on the physical intensity then.
  5. Jul 11, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

I believe Ole knows what he is doing, seriously. We may not be perfect at first, but creating a proper modern style of football takes time.

I'd be worried only if we don't have a recognisable system of playing football by the 3rd quarter of next season at the latest, but if things go well, it might be a lot earlier.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Jul 11, 2019

He'sRaldo New Member

Klopp's strategy at Liverpool was to endure it for the first two seasons, so that his squad could learn the press and counter-press by heart. Then, this past season he reduced his manic high pressing to a more pragmatic mid-block, but with his players having ingrained the knowledge of how to press so they could use it when needed. It was a smart move which, combined with their improved possession play, allowed them to have control of games through various means, as well as a rock solid defence.

In our case, I reckon we'll have to bite the bullet and expect the injuries to come; that's how it works. It might take a season or two but slowly, as we get used to the intensity and patterns of the high press, we'll be able to vary it so that we're not going all out 100% of the time. From there we can transition to improving our possession play and aiming for the lion's share of possession in every game like most big clubs do, so when we do press we're doing it in our half, and we're doing it sparingly. That sounds like a good strategy to me.

The issue is, these things obviously take time and judging by the mood of the fanbase currently, I'm not sure if they're willing to afford Ole very much of that. He'll be expected to produce miracles sharpish and if he takes too long, the pressure will pile on. Not an enviable position but I really hope he can pull through, or at least show good things early on to buy him more and more time and patience.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Jul 11, 2019

Greck Full Member

Why the third quarter though? Shouldn't there be a discernable pattern evolving in our play within the 1st and 2nd quarter. Even if crude the framework would start developing at some point before
  8. Jul 11, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

I should have added the word "consistently", which is what my point actually revolved around.

Of course you are correct, we should be able to identify early on what the idea for our style is but I don't think it's reasonable to expect everything to click right away from the start. Hope my point is clearer now, sorry for the earlier confusion.
  9. Jul 12, 2019

matt10000 New Member

Other teams don't always allow you to play the way you want to play. You have to be confident and well drilled so that it becomes second nature to play that way, until then players under pressure, when no time to think, play by instinct which is the way they know best. Just depends how quickly, different players can make the style their first natural reaction - if that makes sense?
  10. Jul 12, 2019

Keefy18 Full Member

Brilliant post and I completely agree.

If you look at that instant improvement when he arrived and even in some of the latter games there was still signs of a pattern emerging, sadly in the latter games with zero intensity due to fitness levels being woeful. We struggled at that point and couldn't keep the pace of his demands.

Solid pre season should see an improvement but I'm calling it now I can see a slump in winter / new year like Klopp does as well and fans having a meltdown.

I think we'll start quite well and be in top 4 going into Nov but drop off a bit but to have enough in us to nab 3rd or 4th.
  11. Jul 13, 2019

minh_loc_xoay New Member

This is like Louis Van Gaal's first season again. I'd take that, though. Beggars can't be choosers...
  12. Jul 13, 2019

Vissy New Member

There is one thing I'm worried about Solskjaer. I think he's solid tactically and his man management seems good as well. But how well can he handle drops in form? Last season... well it speaks for itself doesn't it. A top manager is always able to handle drops in form in some way. I wonder if this is something Ole has yet to have learned.
  13. Jul 13, 2019

meninred New Member

True. That is main thing that separates okay managers from good managers.I hope for Ole to have a good start . If they continue with the form they finished last season, It will be a very tough season.
  14. Jul 13, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

I think whoever is in charge of United in 24 months time will be in charge of a VERY exciting team. As I have said Before, the key for Solskjaer is surviving this season because I am convinced we will get better next season. There are so many talents at this club that will develop - but this season might be 12 months too early.

And with our fans ? There are lots of people here who want him gone before the season has started.
  15. Jul 13, 2019

Feed Me I'm hungry

We will only be further into the wilderness in 24 months time.

There is no coherent plan to build the team and the "exciting" players we have, in truth, always flatter to deceive.

We have been an absolute fecking disaster post-Ferguson.

We will finish 6th to 10th this coming season.
  16. Jul 13, 2019

Keefy18 Full Member

Fair comparison alright.

It's absolutely vital though that both Rashford and Martial deliver this year to achieve that.
  17. Jul 13, 2019

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Exactly. I personally expect to see a distinct style of play from the beginning of the season. Not a perfect version of it, but a version of it non the less.

Brendan fecking Rodgers had Leicester playing the way he wanted after about two weeks.
  18. Jul 13, 2019

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

I'm still waiting for this supposed "cull" that's he said is coming.
  19. Jul 13, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

When did he say there would be a 'cull'? Can he force other teams to buy the dross we don't want?
  20. Jul 13, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Ofcc not when they getting new contracts under him.
  21. Jul 13, 2019

momo83 New Member

Pretty sure Young, Jones, and Smalling would get offers from clubs if they weren’t on long term £120k plus contracts.
  22. Jul 13, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

It's pretty obvious those players wouldn't be part of any so called cull (which Solskjaer hasn't said would happen). Rojo, Bailly, Darmian on the other hand, why would anyone buy them, and probably have to make them one of their highest paid players?
  23. Jul 13, 2019

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Pretty sure after an embarrassing defeat (can’t remember against who) he said there was some of these players that were finished at united.

Meanwhile young, Matic, lingard, Jones, smalling, Rojo are all on tour and still playing.
  24. Jul 13, 2019

Greck Full Member

Everyone keeps holding him to do that but I think he said it in a moment of self-preservation when the interviewer pushed for it. He seemed to catch himself in subsequent interviews and returned to championing the squad as being good enough
  25. Jul 13, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

After Everton (4-0) he said "We have to stick together as a team. We can't change the whole squad but it's one step at a time. I'm going to be successful here and there are players there that won't be part of that successful team, but there are many of them that do have it.

After Huddersfield (1-1) he said “I can’t talk about individuals now, but there is the chance you have seen the last of players".

These quotes have become 'Solskjaer promised us a clear out'.

Herrera has already gone. I expect he'd gladly see the back of Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and Sanchez, unfortunately nobody wants to buy them and who could blame them. Pogba and Lukaku will go if someone pays up.

The other one you see on here is that Solskjaer said that all our signings would be in for pre season. His words were (first press conference after becoming permanent): "There are so many players that have been written about that we're interested in and I'm sure when we decide what we have to do, hopefully we'll get them by pre-season."
  26. Jul 13, 2019

Relevated fixated with venom and phalluses

Okay ill be honest. Considering all of solskjaers quotes regarding transfers, it feels like Woodward is taking him for a ride.
  27. Jul 13, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Today’s post game presser was without a doubt his best so far. More accurate and better understanding where to answer and when to ignore. I also liked that he went back to being “himself”. More charm and less defending. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I like to study body language and expressions and add those signs together with what he says. If words and expressions goes hand in hand then that’s normally a good sign.

With experience he will gain confidence and soon learn how to use other tools like silence, black eyes (think Peir Luigi Collina) or just set his own narrative. When he learns to use his eyes and expressions a little bit more he can soon take better control of the “press room”. It’s a fine balance. So far his charm and Norwegian accent is working in his favor but in order to survive long term it’s better to properly learn how to use silence and talking with is eyes as a powerful tool.

No complains, only looking at details and how to improve.
  28. Jul 13, 2019

SATA Full Member

What did Ole say about transfers? Someone please briefly fill me in
  29. Jul 13, 2019

ravi2 Full Member

Real quote from Ed: “If I can answer very simply and candidly. Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."

Ed has been taking us all for a ride for years.
  30. Jul 13, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Very happy to see he's not given up on that high-pressing style he tried implementing when he first joined us. We were looking genuinely quite good with that system, fatigue and injuries killed it off after a few months though, sadly. A full pre-season to work on our conditioning will do us the world of good, hopefully means we can use his system without running out of steam.
  31. Jul 13, 2019

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

To be honest though, he could give the best or worse pressers - all that really matters is the job he does managing Man Utd football club.

He will be judged on results, and performances once the season starts, and if these are good to great - then he deserves praise and backing.

If these are fair to good, then he deserves time and some critique.

And if these are poor to fair then he deserves criticism and ultimately to lose the job.

That's really the reality as a Utd manager. All this other stuff means nothing.
  32. Jul 13, 2019

Chairman Steve Full Member

I personally don't like how he basically said everyones got a chance to shine in this pre-season... even though he fecking saw them in the flesh for like half of last season. Surely the 30 games or so you had last season was a good enough sample? This is where a proper DoF system would be handy, because they'd ideally would have been there and know all the players inside and out and tell OGS "No, Ole, he's shit for what hes earning... we're selling him". Guardiola didn't even need a pre-season to know Joe Hart wasn't good enough.

And he also publicly said previously that a few of these players weren't going to be here for this season.
  33. Jul 13, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    If we can't sell the players we want to sell and can't buy the players we want to buy, the only thing that can save this season is if Ole manages to make the best out of what he has got. It doesn't mean it will work out but it would be defeatist to just make everything about the players who aren't good enough instead of inspiring those who might contribute, however unlikely. If we need them to perform then he has to try.
  34. Jul 14, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

Got the impression from his post match presser that he is not happy with our transfer business. Basically taken the same form as this time last season with Mourinho, 2 signings and hopeful for more but ask Woodward.
  35. Jul 14, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

It did sound like that, Ole is probably getting fed up of being asked questions that are not up to him and knowing that a lot of fans are actually blaming him for the lack of transfers.
  36. Jul 14, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Pep plays to the theory of Johan with certain tweaks. But it is still the same and it is a very successful formula. Pep knows it well as he was the fulcrum in the team. I think he still has not found someone to play in his position.
    I do not think Ole is even close enough to Pep to try and beat the way they play.
  37. Jul 14, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

We now know Why Jose Mourinho was a Whiny little Cnut on Tour last season.
  38. Jul 14, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Without watching the video, it's hard to come to any conclusion.
  39. Jul 14, 2019

Awwal Lawal New Member

You should watch the Post-Match press conference where he responded to the question of incoming transfers by answering that the reporter should ask Ed.

That answer is open to a lot of interpretations and misinterpretations. However, the most obvious is that Ole is not in the loop about what is happening on the transfer front. Ole is trying to remain positive and show a united front for the club compared to similar situation last year that got Mourinho throwing his toys out of the pram.

Also, one point that has been touched extensively when talking about transfers is the fact that irrespective of incomings/outgoings there should be an identity to the footballing style on display. Yesterday, looking beyond the scoreline it can be argued that the first strands of visible coaching and shift in style is appearing. Will this change be fruitful? Does Ole have the nous to fully implement these changes? Does Ole have the backroom staffs to oversee its implementation? Positively achieving a coherent footballing unit will go a long way in the rebuilding process.

I wish Ole success but will Ed help him to achieve this success in the shortest possible time?
  40. Jul 14, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

Yes we have because our policy have been completely wrong.

Moyes took over an ageing side and LVG signed all the wrong players. Mourinho signed a few wrong players, and alienated the right players he signed.

Signing young hungry players is what we should have done in the first place