Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Apr 15, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Give the man a chance...
  2. Apr 15, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yeah, assuming we don't win against Barca (which is, let's be honest, very likely) the remaining weeks of this season will have feck all high points and a bunch of very low ones.

A real pity that Ole's first half season in charge is inevitably going to end with a load of bad memories.
  3. Apr 15, 2019

Tapori Full Member

I genuinely think this is a generational passing of the baton in the new tech dystopia. Jerk on my commentators; knee-jerk on ad infinitum.
    Perspective has been lost; the FIFA/FM-ification is complete. Ignore everything but instant-hits.

Sack Ole Sell Rashford.
  4. Apr 15, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

I want only one thing from Solkjaer the remaining games, that he gets the players fired up and we see them giving their all. The results come second.
  5. Apr 15, 2019

redIndianDevil Full Member

He could do that, but we were so poor in passing, possession and pressing, any good coach we should be seeing an improvement in those regards, everything has gone flat now, all the issues in the team is still there, we still cannot keep meaningful possession or press in an organized way, we still defend deep and trying counter attacks.

Our squad is paper thin, I don't think Solksjaer is capable of overseeing this huge transition, we will stuck in an endless loop of buying players not fitting a style of play and replacing managers again.
  6. Apr 15, 2019

Maticmaker Full Member

Ole has to be the man for the job, after all he is now our permanent manager for three years at least.

I have to confess I was one of those who felt that giving him the fulltime job before he had completed his audition was inviting a jinks, and so it has been. Players now know they can talk to the 'real manager' and the, "I want more money," I want to play in a 433", or "I want.... something else" have now landed on his desk and the worry about who will be managing them next year has been lifted from the players, some I suspect (after Saturday's display) are thinking of being on the beach already!

However with hindsight (isn't it a wonderful thing?) All this 'hands out' for money; wanting to dictate where they play etc. is better coming now than in the pre-season or worse still at the beginning of next season. Ole needed a spell of things not going right, to hone his approach. Ole knows this club inside out, he knows what the majority of fans want and he knows what he should demand of his players. These last few games will have told him, for sure, who he should keep, to believe he can improve them/their attitude, and those who need to 'be gone'. I will be pleasantly surprised if we either get past Barca and/or make the top four, maybe in some strange way not succeeding in either of these objectives might just be what's needed to finish-off Ole's period of 'on-the-job' training as Manager.

Very much hope that however we finish the season Ole's got a firm grip on 'that wheel''.
  7. Apr 15, 2019

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

I like the effort and mentality we have shown under OGS.

Although tactically we have not been very good. Part is probably the players, but also the management. We need to improve the way we press and attack as a team.
  8. Apr 15, 2019

Tibs Full Member

I missed the game on Saturday, did we go 433 or 352/532?
  9. Apr 15, 2019

FootyGirl88

Let him have a pre-season with them, the fitness level of the squad is really bad. Give him the summer to work on their fitness levels which will help us with our pressing.
  10. Apr 15, 2019

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

He will have too many issues to handle. Clear out the squad, buy new, good players, get our fitness level up, improve our general play, improve our attacking play, increase confidence, change attitude.... Let's see what he can do after the summer
  11. Apr 15, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

You think all that’s achievable in 6/7 weeks?
    Dreaming!
  12. Apr 15, 2019

An Irish Red Banned

He's working with a squad that isn't anywhere close to up to par, with arguably the worst set of attackers in the top six, and he has achieved some fantastic results.

We have a whole array of players that Guardiola and Klopp would happily sell at the first opportunity. Expecting fantastic attacking football with this group isn't fair on Ole. Let him build his team.
  13. Apr 15, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Was more like a 4-2-3-1

Dalot---Smalling---Jones---Rojo--

-----------Fred-----Pogba--------

Lingard--------Mata------------Martial--

---------------Lukaku----------------
  14. Apr 15, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Of course they are, amol.

Having us comfortably mid table and out of the top 4 race before December really are huge shoes to fill :lol:
  15. Apr 15, 2019

ChippyTea New Member

Absolutely agree. Plus he's taken over at the end of a largely disappointing season and had no input in transfers yet.

There are so many players in the squad that I have been saying season after season since Moyes, with more arriving with each unsuccessful manager, that have never been and never will be anywhere near required level to even realistically compete for a title. And now in 2019 it blows my mind that some of them are still there.
  16. Apr 15, 2019

Axle17 New Member

I've always had this thought which I really wanted to know other people's thoughts on. .

Our first game when Ole arrived, we won 5-1. Ole had absolutely no time with the squad or to instill any of his ideas.

Could it be that the emphatic win was actually as a result of the coaching by Mckenna & Carrick?

Ole is my favourite player so I love that he's our coach, but I just feel something has changed over the course of his tennier? Maybe we need more input and direction from those two? Or perhaps Ole has brought unlong certain methods and ideals that the players aren't adapting to?
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. Apr 15, 2019

redIndianDevil Full Member

All I'm saying is we need a coach, one who works with the players and fixes long standing problems like poor passing, movement, lack of pressing etc. The coach doesn't have to PL proven or a trophy winner, a coach who trains his squad and makes us play dominantly like a top team.

A new manager bounce is not something new, our players had a lot to prove after the disaster with Mourinho and it showed and since then everything has quietened now and our old problems seem to be cropping up again, Solksjaer is probably a better man-manager than Mourinho but tactically or as a coach, I've no idea where he stands, is he known for a quick passing style or a defence oriented like Conte/Simeone or gung-ho attacking, he simply is too much of an unknown quantity, if we had world class players at our disposal, this appointment wouldn't be much of an issue, but we are in need of serious overhaul, managers who don't have a playing style usually approach the "buy expensive world class players" market strategy, I'm afraid if we don't buy carefully next season, we will be in serious trouble.
  18. Apr 15, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

:D Not to mention calling everybody out and blaming everyone else
  19. Apr 15, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

The more OGS struggles, the more I fear such themes (absolving the previous one) will become ever present.
  20. Apr 15, 2019

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Good post.
  21. Apr 15, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Who is that manager who would have fixed everything in 4 months, without preseason and transfers?

We worked harder than our opponents in first few games and made more sprints than opposition too, ended up with our players dropping like flies and then the whole adapting thing to get by this season.

Solskjaer has said many times he wants his team to be one of the hardest working team in Europe and also said we are not working much on fitness because of lack of time, so there isn't any manager who would have fixed everything when the fitness levels are so poor. We can't play with intensity for long periods, we can't play pressing game.

Without getting the players he wants to implement his style, it's harsh to judge him, even more so with such a poor fitness levels of our team.

Also he might not be Pep in his philosophy but there is clear change in our attacking game and there is pattern too, we try to open defense with one twos or quick passes near the box. What we are lacking is that last touch, half a second late and we lose the ball or the shot is blocked. Obviously we are far from finished product.

From where we started since Ole took over, he did a brilliant job to be in touching distance to 3rd.
  22. Apr 15, 2019

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

No, that is why I said it will be too much for him to change with so little time. If he can improve the team and play better football, that is the best we can hope for
  23. Apr 15, 2019

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

If he's worthy of the role, he should be able to coach better performances by the season's end.

Top 4 or not, with the players we currently have, he should be able to implement tactics that bring decent football against the likes of Everton, Huddersfield and Cardiff - those are really the games I'll be looking at to see the actual football he's playing.

A few weeks ago everyone was saying how we actually have a really good squad and Mourinho was misusing them... now suddenly the reality that OGS is actually a mid-table manager at best starts to creep in and lo and behold, it's the players and we need a new starting 11...
  24. Apr 15, 2019

[​IMG]
  25. Apr 15, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

So you have written off top-four finish? And you clearly have no hope at all for us in Barca?

That's sad. You may end up correct on both fronts... but, you also, may not. Support the guy, the support the players. I think Ole and his coaching staff are all too aware of the issues across the squad and club. Phelan's recent comments about club structure were really, really pertinent. They know they have a big challenge ahead.

So let's embrace that challenge. We wanted a 'man united' manager in post, we have one.. he is doing super well.. and what happens? Some of us are STILL not satisfied!

I look at some of the players, instead of Ole, because they simply aren't showing that level of ability that their contracts warrant, or the short represents.
  26. Apr 15, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I wont pretend I understand this comment. But I absolutely love it!
  27. Apr 15, 2019

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

I have a hard time understanding where some (surprisingly many, actually - or perhaps it's just a case of relatively few being very vocal) on here are coming from, to be honest. There was a reason why it might make sense to wait with offering him a contract - but it had nothing to do with wanting to micro analyze his "performances" as manager of a team that clearly isn't his own in the sense usually implied. If there were other, realistic options worth waiting for (options that were better, safer, or whatever) - then yes, wait. It's a huge call to make, shouldn't be made in haste, etc. But what some people are doing now is plain absurd: you don't judge a manager a few months into his tenure - and certainly not when said manager's main task so far has been to try and save something from the huge mess left by his predecessor - which he might still do in spite of how utterly hopeless it looked when he took over.

I wonder what some people would've made of Klopp after a few months in charge, had he taken over United and not Liverpool. Probably would've had grave concerns over Guardiola too.

Don't get giddy, fair enough, I'm not giddy myself. But turning a big, underperforming club like United around will take some time, that's not being unduly apologetic on behalf of OGS - it's plain common sense and would've been true regardless of who we'd hired.
  28. Apr 15, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I have faith in Ole, and I believe McKenna is a gem. I just hope Ole gets the respect he deserves but I do worry when a figure like Mourinho is struggling with getting disiplin from the players, there is a problem. Mourinho said he had to babysit certain players which in a professional environment becomes a problem if there is a culture of it, and not only specific instances once in a while.

There is a legit chance that some of the players will be undermining the manager and not give it a real go if put to the test. You can smell the weakness and weird focus in this group of players sadly. When Ole came in they all played like it was a vacation, like an escape from reality that gave them a lift but now it seems the mood is back to what it was under Mourinho. If Ole tries to just smile and make everyone happy they might look at him like a joke, which is the sad part because he isn't unless he is made to be one. Making everyone feel good is only one aspect but if people patronise or similar in response, what do you do? If Ole can command the respect of the players and colleagues and get McKenna on board, as well as making good signings then it should be a very good combo for exiting football with the right United-brand. If not I guess he will get the blame and we'll try out Giggs or Carrick next up.
  29. Apr 15, 2019

Christie Banned

Mourinho brought us to second, something that seems like a far off achievement for us now. If there is any dragging he has dragged us up.
    You seem so sure Ole will be backed. Time will tell if that is true. Nobody here is condemning him of anything yet. I'm only laying out the expectations for next season for him.

Oh come on. Same shit has happened with every manager we have hired. No way is that a coincidence. And loads of other teams cope with the manager letting them down for a season without going into a death spiral the way things turn out under Manchester United. Spurs with Pochettino being the most obvious (and much more extreme) example. They would give his eye teeth to “fail” with as much money as Mourinho had to spend on his squad.

Yep. So with these great players Ole should at least finish second which Mourinho managed to achieve despite being toxic. If no trophies and a title challenge comes next season we will know who has been found wanting in standards below even a toxic dinosaur manager.

Yes, if things turn toxic next season I hope you will be fair and appropriate the blame to Ole and no one else as well.

Wanting the best for our club is trolling? Accepting top 4 and becoming Arsenal is being a good fan?

Mourinho must have been a miracle worker to lead these bunch of old fogeys to second then.

You are right, they are tiny shoes. So if Ole can't even match up with a title challenges to fill the tiny shoes, that will be a failure of embarrassing proportions.
  30. Apr 15, 2019

You've made a right bollix of your response to me in that post, so let's just focus on your (unfair) obsession with Ole needing to mount a "title challenge" despite not signing anyone.

One point behind league leaders, with a game in hand.

How is that not a title challenge?!?
  31. Apr 15, 2019

Christie Banned

We are talking about next season dear, just laying out the expectations coming ahead. Ole has been appointed, no point casting judgement now. Next season will tell us whether we did it right.

And why are you playing alternate league tables? Have we descended to RAWK level?
  32. Apr 15, 2019

:lol:

That is literally the league table as it stands since Ole took over.

Unless you think he should also be accountable for the absolute shit served up by Mourinho?
  33. Apr 15, 2019

Gator Nate Full Member

Supports:
    Unaffiliated
    Agreed. He should be putting other below average players on the field in their stead. That way, we'd have different fuel for this dumpster fire of a discussion.
  34. Apr 15, 2019

:lol: That's the league table since ole was appointed.
  35. Apr 15, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

Can someone update the “where will Mourinho go next” thread to let everyone know he’s posting on RedCafe under the name Christie
  36. Apr 15, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

Which is why we need a Director of Football
  37. Apr 15, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

:lol:
    Edit: I have major doubts about the club’s future, Ole included. But some of the stuff posted on here is completely mental.
  38. Apr 15, 2019

Tibs Full Member

We will be fine under Ole given he can make 2-3 signings this summer window, and one in Jan...we aren't going to win the league, but we'll be much closer and not fighting it out till the end for 4th.

The thing he must do is either get Rashford/Lukaku to turn in to lethal goal scorers, or buy one. Too many points dropped this season due to shit finishing...I'd rate it a bigger concern than our goals conceded
  39. Apr 15, 2019

Nr.7 New Member

Slaven Bilic spoke sense regarding Ole on BTsport.
    I can’t post links because of forum rules so if anyone would be kind enough to find and post it.
  40. Apr 15, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

A draw for Zidane against Leganes after losing to Valencia last week. We should have waited until the end of the season to get someone like him.