Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | Confirmed as our new interim manager with Phelan as his deputy

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Tom Van Persie, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Is Ole a good appointment?

1. Yes

60.8%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Eboue

11.1%
  4. I love Ole more than I could love my own child

18.1%
  1. Jan 10, 2019

ReddBalls New Member

I don't think Ole mind that at all. He is the babyfaced assassin after all. It is an advantage, and people underrate him at their own peril.
  2. Jan 10, 2019

Rash Decision Full Member

Well Mourinho was underperforming so badly that he was sacked before Christmas. Ole managing not to be a disaster and getting one of the most expensively assembled squads to beat a few lower teams should be recognised but not seen as some extraordinary tactical achievement just because his predecessor set the bar so low.
  3. Jan 10, 2019

Ace of Spades Full Member

But we did not beat lower teams regardless, often we lost the most points against the worst teams as we had no clue to unlock defenses. I don't think changing tactics makes much of a difference in big games, if anything tactics mean very little in big games. We beat top teams before, hell we beat Juventus this season under Mourinho, and he was shit, with no tactics but having eleven men behind the ball, and lumping it up front in the big games. It means nothing if we win a few big games, if we cannot regularly beat the teams weaker than us. Post SAF, it is our failure to beat the bottom teams consistently that has hurt us, rather than the big games, which can vary easily.
  4. Jan 10, 2019

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

I think you're getting hung up on Mourinho's shortcomings here rather than the point I've made.

We've not played in a game under Solskjaer that has properly tested us, or him, tactically. Spurs on the weekend will be that first test. Until that game has been played, there's not a great deal to analyse about our performances from a tactical perspective.
  5. Jan 11, 2019

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

6. Jan 11, 2019

DBT85 Full Member

Soon to change!
  7. Jan 11, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Disagree slightly. The way we set up against Cardiff or Huddersfield was very different from how we set up against Newcastle. Suspect we'll see another Newcastle-esque performance against Spurs with counter attacking being the main outlet.
  8. Jan 11, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

He must be drunk. No one here gives a shit about the fecking pope.
  9. Jan 11, 2019

Zoo Full Member

Good read from Ducker.
  10. Jan 11, 2019

Eleven-Eighteen New Member

One huge test for this new Ole-led team is going to be how we respond to being down by a goal.

Can we bounce back. Does the team push on and step up, while being clinical with the chances given to them? Personally, i think the attitude is there. OGS has shown that he has managed to bring back the desire to win and the never say die attitude. But what really sets good teams apart from the great ones (and United should only ever aspire to be a great team), is the ability to snatch a goal from half a chance when the game has otherwise been going against you.

God knows that with our defence currently, when put up against a top side, we are going to concede. So if we are behind, then how do the players respond
  11. Jan 11, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

"United have some of their soul back."
  12. Jan 11, 2019

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

It is such a wonderful dream scenario for Solskjaer to become permanent manager and win things at United that, that is the reason I think it won't happen. Such dreams rarely come true :(
  13. Jan 11, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

It's the test for the players now that the Jose obstacle is gone. Specially the ones who like to attack but can be lethargic tracking back.

We are not winning this without putting all the energy in as a team.
  14. Jan 11, 2019

Very good read. Thanks for sharing.
  15. Jan 11, 2019

onemanarmy Full Member

Can anyone copy/paste the article here? Thanks.
  16. Jan 11, 2019

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    It's not a paywall/premium article. Pasting articles in full from the telegraph is illegal on this site in any case.
  17. Jan 11, 2019

onemanarmy Full Member

I have to register and I won't be doing that. No problem.
  18. Jan 11, 2019

Ace of Spades Full Member

Not really, this idea that tactics play more of a part in big games is non sense. Tactics play a part in every game in setting up a team, for any manager. This narrative that the other games were not important and that you cannot analyse those games is non sense. Too much importance is given to the Spurs game as if that will reveal something that has not been revealed before. The assumption that ones ability as a manger will only be measured in big games but the things he does in the smaller games is ignored, because it is expected, yet many fail to do that consistently. The big games are not some big test, at least no more than any other game is.
  19. Jan 11, 2019

Rolaholic New Member

Wonderful read, Ole just gets United through and through

The article was not kind at all to his predecessor, so glad we've moved forward in a progressive direction instead of waddling in toxicity
  20. Jan 11, 2019

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Must be the king.
  21. Jan 11, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Agree. The real stuff starts now. The honeymoon period has gone as well as anyone could have expected, let's see how he fares.
  22. Jan 11, 2019

Rolaholic New Member

23. Jan 11, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Think more details might come out in the embargoed comments. But I have noted that, today two journalists have tweeted that it's a clue that Solskjaer thinks the quality of football he is able to produce till May will prove a more crucial factor in him getting the job than any eventual top four success.
    Makes me think the club have prioritised style above everything else in the search for a new managAper. I would be very happy with that.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  24. Jan 11, 2019

No Idea For Nickname Full Member

:( Yes, very good read, first 10 lines, then I have to register, wonderful. Can someone sum it up in few words. Thanks. Don't say: very good read
  25. Jan 11, 2019

If you register you can read one premium article a week, which you can use on Ducker's Ole piece.
  26. Jan 11, 2019

sugar_kane Full Member

Lots of positive stuff in that Telegraph article but I can’t help but wonder who is leaking the stories from the dressing room and training ground.

Maybe it’s just a puff piece from official club sources but I had the impression that they were keen to distance themselves from bigging up Ole too much while they search for a permanent manager, hence their constant insistence on the use of the word “caretaker” on twitter etc.
  27. Jan 11, 2019

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

One of the things mentioned is how an Academy staff/coach remarked that he spoke more with Ole in one morning than he did with Mourinho his whole time here.

Don't know how legit that is, because when Mourinho was in the club's good books, people were talking about how his public and private demeanors are total opposites but there you go.
  28. Jan 11, 2019

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Use guerilla mail to register, read the article and then viola.
  29. Jan 11, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

It is surely this run of games that will test solskjaer to the limit . In two months time we will learn a lot about him and this team
  30. Jan 11, 2019

mav_9me Full Member

I think we will be somewhere in the middle. What I mean is we'll have mixed performances and results and we'll end up with a debate about keeping Ole. That's what I predict. Won't be a clear yes or no with Ole.
  31. Jan 11, 2019

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    3 wins out of this run would be a very good return
  32. Jan 11, 2019

13th Jan: Tottenham (A) win
    26th Jan: Arsenal (A) win
    12th Feb: PSG (H) win
    24th Feb: Liverpool (H) win
    6th Mar: PSG (A) draw
    9th Mar: Arsenal (A) win
    16th Mar: Man City (H) win

easy
    too much?
  33. Jan 11, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    PSG away might be a loss. But we'll have beaten them 5-0 at home so who cares:devil:
  34. Jan 11, 2019

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Looks fine
  35. Jan 11, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Some of you guys take it as a joke but I have feeling that we will win some of those games.
  36. Jan 11, 2019

It'll feel like a victory when English commentators stops calling him @Olly Gunnar Solskjær
  37. Jan 11, 2019

Was thinking about keeping the unbeaten momentum, so went for a draw.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
    Would you like correct results?
    1. not joking, just optimistic
    2. some of these games? You know Jose left the building Carrington, right. We might not be best team ever, but we are very capable of winning anyone!
  38. Jan 11, 2019

They looked correct to me... except the PSG game :lol:
  39. Jan 11, 2019

Sayros Full Member

Anything is possible. I was a huge fan of Zidane as a player, and when he became coach of Madrid I was worried because, first it's a huge club (like United is), and another thing is he didn't strike me as the vocal, managerial type. Most of the brilliant players don't make very good coaches usually because they had a gift that's hard to transmit to others.

Three years later, he's both a player and managerial legend at the club. I don't see why the same isn't possible for OGS. It would make a hell of a story, and so far (very early, granted) he's already done some major transformation on the team in a positive manner. I would love to see him succeed here and become a permanent manager. There's no proof that getting someone else to come in at the end of the year would yield better results and at least this is a servant of the club that knows what the culture is about.
  40. Jan 12, 2019

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

PM article please!