Ole v Spurs

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SAred, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019

Kapardin New Member

Yep, this is true. I am worried as well based on the fact that Valencia was rested for the FA Cup. Though there is a gap of 1 week, so maybe Young could start against Spurs.
  2. Jan 7, 2019

Andersonson New Member

If Smalling is fit, he should play. Kane is very good in the air, Smalling can handle him better than Jones/Lindelof
  3. Jan 8, 2019

TMDaines Full Member

The only games I am relaxed about Valencia playing are those away at the top 6, where we want out full backs defending first and not playing as right wingers.
  4. Jan 8, 2019

Peter Cook New Member

Supports:
    AJAX
    l think the Fab 4 will just play rings around Utds more static players.
    Kane, Eriksen , Ali, Son are better players than Utd have and if they click they could blow Utd away.
    Spurs 3 Utd 1
  5. Jan 8, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Fab 4? :lol:
  6. Jan 8, 2019

SalfordRed18 Full Member

I want to say certain United CB has Harry Kane's number, always seems to put him right in his pocket but don't want to jinx it.

Key for me is neutralise Kane and control the midfield. If we can do that, which we're more than capable of, we should win if our forwards have a good game.

Spurs will be thinking how do they stop pogba, and how do they stun martial and rashford. Whoever plays on the right, I expect lingard, needs to have a good game.
  7. Jan 8, 2019

Red00012 Full Member

Fab 4 that’s a new one anyway :houllier:
  8. Jan 8, 2019

CallMeV New Member

Dave
    Matteo Victor Phil Luke
    Ander Nemanja Paul
    Messi Marcus Anthony

Let's batter them 3-6!
  9. Jan 8, 2019

sveisa New Member

You can't expect to beat a top 6 team, because anything can happen in games between more or less even sides. (But with a good manager you should consistently beat weaker teams.) So if we play well but lose, and get another winning run, he will still be a serious contender for the job in my view. Unless we lose all the "big" games of course.
  10. Jan 8, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Not one of them is better than an on form Paul Pogba and aside from scoring goals, not one of them can do what Pogba does and tear the arse out of an entire defensive team with one pass.
  11. Jan 8, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Have a feeling they’ll be knackered after tonight and we’ll do them. I hope ole just keeps playing how we’ve been playing and we should be able to get a good result.
  12. Jan 8, 2019

Man of Leisure Full Member

I've seen this reference on the US' NBC Sports PL coverage. Accompanied by Beatles music. :rolleyes:
  13. Jan 9, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

I think we will go for it and play the United way (damn that feels good saying that) but if we get a point I'd take it now but you just never know and with Phelen back any things possible!!!
  14. Jan 9, 2019

cyril C Full Member

Agree, Young is a much better choice. Even Dalot is better than Valencia.

With Lukaku and Sanchez available, he might be tempted to make 1 or 2 changes, although I think fielding both Lukaku and Sanchez is unlikely. Rashford and Pogba are "untouchable", martial and Lingard's form is unreliable so possible omission.
  15. Jan 9, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

That front four is solid average of 7/10.

A bit rich to call it a Fab Four given there’s not a single world class player in there. Any one of them could have a good game but they aren’t anything that strikes fear in a typical Man Utd fan.
  16. Jan 9, 2019

shamans Hoser

Erm, Kane is definitely world class.
  17. Jan 9, 2019

manunited1919 Full Member

So is Eriksen.
  18. Jan 9, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

No.
    Not even close.
  19. Jan 9, 2019

AR87 Full Member

Very good player. Definitely not world class right now.
  20. Jan 9, 2019

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Spurs are close to peak level IMO in their cycle - looked very good against Chelsea.

Even with Ole at the helm, new attitude - we are underdogs for this game so it would be a massive achievement if we did beat them.

I just want us to give a good account of ourselves and be competitive. Not too fussed about the result - I want to see courage on the ball and us trying to stamp our authority on the game rather than being passive.
  21. Jan 9, 2019

shamans Hoser

Name 10 strikers better than kane right now
  22. Jan 9, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

Ooh there's a challenge!

Let me think..

1. Aguero
    2. Lewandowski
    3. Suarez
    4. CR7
    5. Griezmann
    6. Cavani
    7. Aubameyang??
    8. I'm grasping at straws here
    9. Someone help me out
    10. Maybe you're right.
  23. Jan 9, 2019

manunited1919 Full Member

I am hoping Real Madrid break the bank for him this coming summer.
  24. Jan 9, 2019

StrettyEnder07 Full Member

Spurs seem to be pretty hot and cold at the moment, decent defensive display last night but that second half they hardly got out of their own half, Chelsea had all the ball and could not break them down, woeful against Wolves and decent against Cardiff. If we can keep Son/Ali/Eriksen quietish and get at them I think with the movement of the front three and the way Pogba is playing, we have a decent chance of causing them trouble.

Matic and Herrera are shoe in's to play it is just that CB pairing that are the issue. Phil Jones just fills me with dread every time he plays against a half decent team and we can definitely be gotten at. Personally think both sides will score but if we can stay disciplined at the back and our front 4 are on song, we can get a result.

Teams pretty much picks itself for me only issue is who will partner Lindelof and looking like Jones is the only one available.
  25. Jan 9, 2019

StrettyEnder07 Full Member

Strange one this, Kane is in the top 3 No 9's in world football, his goalscoring record is absolutely ridiculous, to say he is not world class is laughable.

Eriksen just bossing games in the Premier League, Champions League and for Denmark, but is not world class hmmmm Madrid not interested in him as well, would personally say he is a world class CM/AMC
  26. Jan 9, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

You know we have this debate once every three or so months and Kane might finally have sneaked into the "top 10 strikers, but we won't accept just any forwards, they have to be pure number 9" list .

It isn't due to Kane suddenly becoming a better player. It's because world class strikers like Lewa, Suarez and Benzema have become worse players.

Do you think Kane is as good as peak Suarez or Lewandowski? If you think so then fair enough.
  27. Jan 9, 2019

shamans Hoser

What... that's the same as me saying Suarez was only world class because R9 became worse. That's the nature of the game. Suarez and Lwandowski are old now. The likes of Kane take over. I do think kane will overall have a better career than benzema
  28. Jan 9, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

I think that's where we differ in our opinion. We don't have to classify a player as world class because others got old. We should classify someone world class, when they show world class ability.

Are you sure you think Kane will have a better career than Benzema who has won four CL's and multiple league titles in two different countries?
  29. Jan 9, 2019

simplyared Full Member

Players in: Smalling and Sanchez
    Midfield (don't touch) Herrera/ Pogba/ Matic
    Best combo: Martial + Rashford
    Come on you reds!
  30. Jan 9, 2019

SSSSnake Full Member

Kane is world class 100% and he's doing it consistently. Does it against the big teamS and golden boot at the world cup. This isn't even a question now. He's probably worth £150-200m easy.
  31. Jan 9, 2019

Tom Cato Full Member

I think that one of the truly awesome things about this season, is that the suits have more or less surrendered it to the football gods. Appointing Ole is at best a *I really hope this works* moment for a club in absolute turmoil. One thing is coming in as manager to a team that is simply struggling with results, but Ole came to a club that struggled with results AND a toxic lockerroom if any of the reports are to be believed.

5 for 5.

In my view Ole's approach to this game will be like every other game so far. "We are Manchester United. The other team makes their gameplan after us, not the other way around".

Its on tune with what Ole already said during his first interview with reporters, that Manchester United is the big scary wolf, not the other way around. So with that in mind, I am going to simply assume that the team will be told to attack, attack, attack and attack. And play some defense, but get the ball up to Pogba. The only way the bus gets parked is if Tottenham controls the ball. Otherwise, we're in for a very fast paced hard fought game that no team wants to lose.

Of course singular players will be a focus, Alli and Kane will make you pay, Eriksen, Son, all incredible footballers. But its the same for Tottenham, they will not make light work of Pogba, Rashford, Martial or even Shaw (Seriously, how good has Shaw been recently.)

United matches are supposed to be high scoring, and I expect the team intend to score some goals. We only need to score more than they do to win. Tottenham has lost to Watford, Portsmouth and Wolverhampton. They sure can lose to Manchester United.

Tottenham is a team that is very beatable. Just treat them with the respect they deserve, no showboating, and I genuinely believe that the United offense is far superior to Tottenhams, and that will be key.

Also, having De Gea helps. He's pretty good.
  32. Jan 9, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    :lol:

@balaks this is the kind of stuff I was referencing in the Alli thread, the blind arrogance. These kind of comments are almost too much to ignore.

If you honestly think Kane shouldn't scare a United fan (with your defensive options?), or that he isn't world class .. you're on a different planet.
  33. Jan 9, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    :rolleyes:

Seems like United fans have gone from undervaluing/rating Pogba to massively overrating him in a very short space of time. I guess that's what a few goals against relegation fodder does for you.
  34. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Some people just aren't great at judging players I guess. Anybody in their right mind can see Kane is a world class player as an example - the vast majority of people would agree on that - one guy who see's it differently is either on the wind-up or somebody who should never be a football scout because judging talent aint their strong point.
  35. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Do you think Benzema is/was a better player than Kane? I don't. Benzema certainly played in a better team, but I don't think he was a better player than Kane, not even close.
  36. Jan 9, 2019

marktan Full Member

Pogba's always been a world class player, even his bad games are good despite what the media's been sprouting the last two years, and he's genuinely a better player than any of your attacking players. Kane being the exception as he's a striker and imo currently on an equivalent high level.

Where you have the advantage is that your attack is more well rounded and play better together, whereas ours is a bit hit and miss and not as dangerous as yours.
  37. Jan 9, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Young’s been extremely ropey defensively in recent weeks, Dalot’s defending has been poor from day one and we’ll have to do a lot of defending at Wembley. I’d say there’s a very good chance of Valencia starting, whether you like it or not. It’s a toss up at right back and whoever Ole chooses it won’t tell us anything about how good he is as a manager.
  38. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Well everybody is entitled to their opinion. I can honestly tell you this though - as good as Pogba may be - if I had to choose to have either Pogba or Eriksen in my team I'd choose Eriksen every time.
  39. Jan 9, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

The same Harry Kane that has a whopping one career goal against United. Yeah, shacking with fear.

Benzema playing in a better team hurt his scoring stats. He sacrificed a lot for Ronaldo to be the main goal scorer. He was more well rounded footballer than Kane is at the moment.
  40. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    If Smalling is on Kane you can guarantee Kane being pocketed. Anyone else and he will wreak havoc.