On the plus side....

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Walrus, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Surely after that defeat, if Fergie was still debating about summer transfers his mind will now be made up.

Let's hope that being outplayed by City will finally give us the kick up the arse we need to go and actually get some quality midfielders. When we look at opponents team sheets we see payers that will cause us problems, we see threats and players we need to plan for.
    When a City fan looks at our team sheet and sees Giggs, Scholes, Carrick and Park, it isn't exactly going to strike fear into them, nor is an isolated Rooney tbf.

the title isn't over but in a bizarre way I almost hope we lose out, as a win will simply paper over the cracks in the squad and give us a reason to NOT invest in the summer.
  2. May 1, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

Don't underestimate the penchant for searching for value in the market!

After the last couple of summers, I won't be investing any time or stress in worrying about our signings in that area of the pitch.

Wouldn't be at all shocked to see us line up on the opening day with the same options as now.
  3. May 1, 2012

Cantona07 Full Member

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
    Get what you are saying. Squad improvement is necessary especially in the midfield. but I think Fergie himself needs a better assisstant too. Perhaps the return of Queiroz
  4. May 1, 2012

Cantona07 Full Member

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
    I agree. Wudnt be surpised.
  5. May 1, 2012

Also a good point. Tactically fergie seems to love springing these strange surprises (like Park last night) which rarely seem to come off. A stronger assistant may well help in this department, queiroz was always known for being tactically sound.
  6. May 1, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Yep, the gulf in class yesterday was pretty much there for everyone to see. Even at a goal down, it was City creating the chances.

Sir Alex has long enough carried this team on his sheer will to win that spreads through to the team. But, there comes a time when the opponent is far too strong for the "will" to get you through, you need quality and sadly, compared to City, we dont have that in the middle of the park where games are won and lost.
  7. May 1, 2012

Stretch Full Member

This and this and this some more. It's well known that SAF takes more of a back seat when it comes to tactics. Not saying he's not involved but he's traditionally not been tactically brilliant. I would really like to see Carlos back especially since we have 3 brilliant young defenders with immense potential in Smalling, Jones and Evans. Carlos brought not only tactical awareness but defensive know how. It worked a treat in big games and in Europe. Highly doubt it will happen but can hope nonetheless.
  8. May 1, 2012

Also we should be in a strong position to sign any available CMs by nature of the fact our current midfield is so shite - I can imagine Fergir going up to Hazard or Martinez and saying "look son, we are relying on a 38 year old who came out of retirementat the minute, sign with us and you will be playing every bloody game."
  9. May 1, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

I'd love CQ to come back. Even better (and massively unlikely before I get torrents of mirth in response) would be a move for Guardiola as some sort of assistant coach or technical advisor - the guy wants a break from actual management, but would be great to inject new ideas into the team and build up to being SAFs successor.

In terms of improving the squad I wouldn't hold your breath. We're not going to be recruiting the calibre of players we need to get back to the very top with the current owners
  10. May 1, 2012

Heardy Full Member

I can't see it happening, but to have pep in as a coach/technical advisor without the pressure of management for his year or so off would be great for united from a tactical perspective!
  11. May 1, 2012

Nani Nana Full Member

Another silver lining is that Mancini will stay at City.

He's incompetent
  12. May 1, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

He really isnt. He's even lost his habit of losing his bollocks and going negative in the big games. He's a good tactician i feel, the way City set up after Kompany got sent off in the FA cup was very good imo.

That said, he's poor when it comes to yeilding authority over the team and that may hurt them long term. But, if we fecks tevez off in the summer, he'l make quite a statement specially after tevez's recent statements about wanting to stay etc. It'l send a strong message to the rest of the team.
  13. May 1, 2012

Nani Nana Full Member

What were his substitutions yesterday again?

Once an Italian, always an Italian
  14. May 1, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

:lol:

You're seriously blaming him for bringing on a defensive mid to shore up the game when they're leading? What'd you expect him to do, bring balotelli on for toure?

Its called being astute and finishing off the job tactially when you're leading, something SAF here got bollocked off for not doing vs Everton and rightly so.
  15. May 1, 2012

Nani Nana Full Member

We'll see next year whether Mancini has really stopped going negative in big games then.
  16. May 1, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Perhaps, but he cant be faulted for anything yesterday. Was forced into it too so no big credit either but just that its wrong to say he's a weakness at City.
  17. May 1, 2012

togg Full Member

I'm really strangely calm this morning. Certainly more so than last week when we effectively lost the title in the last ten minutes against Everton. I agree with the op. Winning this title will have just papered over some very obvious cracks. Fergie has been saying all season that we are going to have to get used to challenging city for all the main competitions in the future. So...in order to do that, we are going to have to try to put even more investment into the team. Because there is no doubt that city will recruit this summer and just get stronger.

It hurts at the moment....really hurts, but the pain is not quite as fierce as I thought it was going to be.
  18. May 1, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

Credit to Mancini, he's done a very good job. Or as well as one can with the unprecedented levels of financial backing he has had.

I think they would struggle more if they sacked him
  19. May 1, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

It was a mistake last summer and it's played a part in City winning the title and us losing it in the most rubbish circumstances. If we don't invest this time it will lead to another City title but we've already done some damage.
  20. May 1, 2012

Neutral BTV

:lol:

People thinking this will have any influence on our summer signings....It won't matter one iota. Then again, this loss had little to do with that...more with Fergie deciding to play, Park, Giggs and Scholes together.
  21. May 1, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

It might hasten Park out of the door, which is sad. He has been fantastic for us in the big games before yesterday.
  22. May 1, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Fergie's been in management for nearly 40 years. He's been at this club for over 25 years. I doubt one game will make him change his mind on something. I think he'll be considering buying a central midfielder in the summer, however it won't be solely because of last night alone. Last night would have just been yet more evidence that he has to go out and buy.
  23. May 1, 2012

togg Full Member

To be honest...and I'll probably get slatted for this, but over the last month I thin Mancini has out witted Fergie in the mind games department. I think it's been a case of the student outmanoevering the master! All culminating of Fergie losing it pitch side last night!!
  24. May 1, 2012

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

Nor I. Though if we do, next season will be a far rougher one than this year.
  25. May 1, 2012

soapythecat Full Member

FFS - the guy has a team that has out played us twice this season in the league and gave us a bloody good game with 10 men in the FA Cup when, let's be honest, they could have nicked a goal to take it to a replay.

For me, Mancini has played Fergie at the mind games and come out on top - hence why Fergie was blowing his top last night over very little.

Don't bury your head behind rose tinted glasses.
  26. May 1, 2012

Inigo Montoya Full Member

Absolutley spot on. SAFs outburst was not only undignified but totally unwarranted.Mancini won that battle hands down.Think he deserves a lot of credit in the way his team have responded
  27. May 1, 2012

Ruud_boy_10 Full Member

Hate to admit it but he totally got under SAF's skin. Still dont rate Mancini though. Mourinho would have had this title wrapped up a month ago.
  28. May 1, 2012

soapythecat Full Member

Mate, it was gringe worthy. Why did he lose the plot. Sometimes he does stuff like that to take the attention away from the team, but last night, you know it was because he knows there is trouble at the mill.
  29. May 1, 2012

Godfather Full Member

BS of the highest order
  30. May 1, 2012

That's the worry.This isn't like the Keegan thing anymore.He became a laughing stock last night, the Victor Meldrew railing at the world as it moves by him.

It'll be interesting to see how we respond
  31. May 1, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    Yes please
  32. May 1, 2012

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

We have been outplayed by quite a lot of opposition this season, i think fergie would have made his mind up after we got humiliated by Bilbao over both legs more so than yesterday.
  33. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Yeah, we lost to City but at least we'll get transfers :D :D :D :D :D
  34. May 1, 2012

Curiously enough for some parts of the game we played with the Bilbao intensity.

What rankles with me is why we haven't done that in other games...namely play the last 15 mins against Everton in the same manner?
  35. May 1, 2012

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Fluffin my fluffy cat plottin for world domination
    Giggs / Scholes = can't play forever

We don't need to lose this to know that
  36. May 1, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

Not really.

You do know what points have been required to win the title in previous seasons,right?
  37. May 1, 2012

JustAFan Red Yankee

Voting for Independence from the UK since 1776
    Given that we already have confirmed reports that SAF has been to at least one other clubs games to watch players and this was BEFORE the derby, I have a feeling the result of the derby really won't change much. If we go by the past, SAF has been willing to even change and take apart winning teams when he felt the it was needed. So most likely while he might feel more urgency to work his plan, at the end of the day his plan is already in place.

Of course, making the plan is the easy part, making it work is the difficult.
  38. May 1, 2012

acrebo Full Member

Rooney on the team sheet, isolated or not, will raise concern for any team in the World.

City's concern was sufficient that Kompany patrolled him brilliantly from start to finish and I only once saw Rooney in a threatening area with more than a couple yards of space. He picked the ball up inside the area and was closed down within a split second before he could get a shot away.
  39. May 1, 2012

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

Indeed, I'd be very worried if it took until last nights performance for Fergie to realise that we need to bring in new players.
  40. May 1, 2012

Playing a traditional back 4 against a lone striker with little support, you can easily afford one CB to trail him closely.

Rooney and Scholes are great players in their own right, but I dont think they strike fear into a top quality opponent