Once upon a time in Hollywood - The 9th Tarantino Film [Out July 26 US / August 14 UK]

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by horsechoker, Mar 21, 2019.

1. May 21, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Tarantino asks for critics at Cannes to refrain from spoiling the film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/q...upon-a-time-in-hollywood-spoilers-1202143055/

Uniformed speculation about the plot/ending of the film on my part based on what Tarantino has said publicly about the film:

We know that the film features Tate/Manson, we seem to see mansonites looking threatening in the trailer, we know it was originally intended to be released around the anniversary of that Tate killing, we know that Tate's sister approved of the film and we know that Tarantino has asked for people to avoid spoiling the film.

My guess is that the film ends with Tate surviving the film and Manson & his "family" being killed instead, revising history in much the same way that IB did. I can't imagine what other ending would simultaneously please Tate's sister while also having the potential to be spoiled (in a way that just not featuring the attacks wouldn't, for example), or that would allow Tarantino to indulge in his typical bloodbath shtick.

Unless the whole Manson thing is just a very small side part of the film, though that wouldn't gel with how the film is being presented at all.
  2. May 21, 2019

Dan

Need to avoid spoilers for this until mid August. :(
  3. May 22, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

Going to be the movie of the year IMO. Leo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie cast in a Tarantino film, you really can't ask for a better recipe for success.
  4. May 22, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I used to love all things Tarantino unconditionally. Some of his later works have been a bit shite though. Most notably hateful 8. Cast like that, it's bound to be entertaining though.
  5. May 22, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

I thought Hateful 8 was pretty good. What didn't you like about it? Sure, the dialogue in the coach is a bit slow, but I actually grew into it and enjoyed the slow build-up to the orgy of violence.

IB, DU and HF8 have all been pretty good. IB is my favorite by far though.
  6. May 22, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I don't know. It might be me just being tired of Tarantino's shtick? Too much emphasis on it being slick and stylish and not enough emphasis on being an immersive piece of entertainment? I can't really put my finger on it. It's not Tarantino that changed, it's just me not liking it as much as I used to.

Maybe I'm just old and boring now.
  7. May 22, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

Think I get what you are saying. Sometimes his self-absorbed/quirky style of filmmaking might wear some people out. I still enjoy his stuff though.
  8. May 22, 2019

Sweet Square Full Member

I lost interest in him as a film director when oddly enough I listened to his movie recommendations and started looking at his movie ''references''. His movies will always be a entertaining but nothing more.
  9. May 22, 2019

Valar Morghulis Full Member

Supports:
    BBW
    This movie is gonna be the shit, hope to see a lot of Charlie. I expect that story is going to be significantly revised and am excited to see how Tarantino handles it.

Bitta foot action in the new trailer too if you're looking:drool:
  10. May 22, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

This is how I felt with the last couple. It's like he's not evolving at all as a filmmaker and is just rehashing the same stuff (in terms of films dynamics, themes of predilection, characters...). If you're discovering Tarantino with Hateful 8 I'm sure it's fine, but if you've seen all his filmography, it's just meh, I feel.
  11. May 22, 2019

Aye, I think his more lurid stylistic flourishes have disguised the fact that he's innately a rather conservative filmmaker.
  12. May 23, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

What a time to be alive!
  13. May 23, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Every Tarantino film since Pulp Fiction has been a disappointment to me.
  14. May 23, 2019

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

I'd watch DiCaprio eat his own shit and I'd enjoy every second of it.
  15. May 23, 2019

Amar__ Incredibly Nasty Man

Supports:
    MK Dons
    He probably wouldn't though.
  16. May 23, 2019

sherrinford Full Member

I think Inglourious Basterds is his best film.

I enjoy all his films and wouldn’t describe any of them as a disappointment I don’t think. Hateful Eight and, especially, Death Proof are a bit weaker than his average, but they were broadly what I was expecting them to be. He is a pretty unique storyteller, so his films are still a bit of a breath of fresh air for me.
  17. May 23, 2019

Zen Full Member

Is that because you have insanely high standard for them or something? Inglourious is an absolute belter. Don't think he's done a bad one really, though outside of Leo's ranting and raving, Django and Hateful weren't for me too much.
  18. May 23, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Actually I liked Django the best out of all his nonsense. His films are just silly really. Basterds was the worst.

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction had great dialogue and were understated in comparison.
  19. May 24, 2019

Sweet Square Full Member

I remember watching it and seeing Brad Pitt character pop up with the his neck scar thing and thinking well this is somewhat interesting I wonder if the movie will explore this detail in more depth. Maybe at one point he tried to kill himself, maybe he was going to be hanged for some crime, he escaped Nazi torture etc. But no it turns out it was just a reference to a old Clint Eastwood movie.

Tarantino movies are just someone going through their favourite vinyl records. Now granted its one hell of a record collection but does feel in the end like a complete waste of time, especially when that person has such a talent for writing dialogue.
  20. May 24, 2019

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever find out
  21. May 24, 2019

“I wouldn’t take anything else out,” the director said. “I’m going to explore possibly putting something back in. If anything, I wanted to go to Cannes too short. if I’m going to err, I’m going to err on too tight.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...o-might-make-upon-time-hollywood-even-longer/

The fact that he's talking about adding more scenes to a film that is already 2h 40m long is a bad sign, especially coming from a man whose films are often indulgent and overlong anyway. Would it kill him to make a film that actually errs on the side of being too tight?
  22. May 24, 2019

Amar__ Incredibly Nasty Man

Supports:
    MK Dons
    Why do you lot watch his films if you don't like it?
  23. May 24, 2019

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Nowt else to do