1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar: I don't care if I go to the World Cup or no; I don't want to get poor when I am old

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by roonster09, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Does he have a point? Make as much money as possible so that his family is set for life rather than struggling when he is old.
  2. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

I doubt he would struggle when he is old earning 150k a week for 20 years.
  3. Mar 13, 2018

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    No he’s wrong. It’s not like he was on minimum wage when he was at Chelsea :rolleyes:
  4. Mar 13, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

He won't be earning for 20 years, very rarely players earn that much from when they are young to very old. He won't have bigger contract when they are young and forced to take paycut when they are old.
  5. Mar 13, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Fair enough, thumbs up for saying it as it is.
  6. Mar 13, 2018

The thing is his lifestyle isn't the same as us, while most of us would live comfortably with 3k/month his lifestyle probably is around 20k/month, after tax etc he really has to tighten up his belt after he hangs up his boots.
  7. Mar 13, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    It really is a strange world when someone earning 50k a week is worried about being poor when he's old.

I mean, i understand that people want to earn as much money as they can (we all do), but I wouldn't say its because I don't want to be old.

Reminds me of the time when a top basketball player, Sprewell, said he can't support his family when negotiating a new contract. Sadly he is now broke though.
  8. Mar 13, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    He's right.

His kids can't eat glory.
  9. Mar 13, 2018

InfiniteBoredom CAF Political Statistician

He’s absolutely right.
  10. Mar 13, 2018

Red_Legion New Member

I mean he is talking bollocks but that's the way he justifies it with himself. Earning more than you'd earn in Europe while having almost no pressure seems like a great deal, having your cake and eating it. He can always come back once he is bored of it in China but obviously it won't be to a top club at which point you wonder if he will bother at all.
  11. Mar 13, 2018

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    The games fecked then
  12. Mar 13, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

Reading interviews of players from Brazil, often get the idea that football is a lot about escaping the hardships they see their families face and providing for them. In such scenarios, it's not really shocking to see how he feels. Kudos to him for being honest about it. It takes an insane amount of work to get to that level, its his choice what he wants to make of it. We're no one to judge.
  13. Mar 13, 2018

prateik Full Member

Nothing wrong with it. Its a profession where 1 tackle can end your career. You also have 10-15 years to make your money..
    Most footballers start very early and dont complete their education.

Absolutely nothing wrong with going after the money... Its only annoying when a player makes excuses and pretends its not about the money.
  14. Mar 13, 2018

Phil Full Member

Yeah good for him
  15. Mar 13, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

Only if every footballer thinks thry need 500k a week to survive.

I don't disagree with him and fair play for saying it like it is. Football is entertainment for us, but for footballers it is their job as well as their passion.

Some players play because they love it, some don't. Nothing wrong with that.
  16. Mar 13, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Easy to judge these players when we will never be in the same position and have to make the decision ourselves.

He chooses setting himself and his family up for life over a competition that last 6 weeks every four years.

He could forfeit the extra 40 or 50 million or whatever crazy sum it is that he earns so he could play in that tournament only to be injured and miss it anyway, or lose the first two games and be out, or the coach might not fancy him and leave him at home.

I think I’d do the same.
  17. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

It’s an exaggeration of course. Still, he is in a very unique position to earn a lot of momey and be part of history.
  18. Mar 13, 2018

The game has been fecked for a long time then.

Different people have different motivations. There’ll always be those who choose money over glory and vice versa.
  19. Mar 13, 2018

Forget about National Team, for extra 10 Million I'd gladly change my citizenship to any country.
  20. Mar 13, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Fair play to him. Some are in it for the game, some for the money. Their priority is their right.
  21. Mar 13, 2018

SirAnderson Full Member

His right. Football is no longer just a sport for entertainment of the fans, it is a career, and a very short one at that, so if he makes all the money he needs, so be it. We can get entertainment from those who priorities trophies and glory, but still get good money.
    I think of the guys in league 1 and 2, some of them, that's their job, some of them know they not getting to any kind of elite club and so even there, get the best deal you can for the short career they have in football.
  22. Mar 13, 2018

Lam New Member

He'd have a fair point if he was playing for West Brom and earning 20k pw. He started with Chelsea when he was 21/22 and assuming he played 10 years at a 100k pw salary, he'd have made 50 mn. He'll probably make another 50mn playing in China, but at the cost of not representing his country.

If I had 1 mn, I'd give up my current job and do some good. Maybe his definition of poor is different from generally accepted standards.
  23. Mar 13, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

A 5 year Chelsea deal at £150,000 /week is worth around £28,000,000 after sneaky tax breaks etc over it’s length. That’s just 5 years and is not including sponshops etc.

He’d hardly be ”poor” unless he had Nick Leeson working as his financial advisor.

The interest alone on having say £18,000,000 in your bank account is more than enough to have a pretty lavish lifestyle considering you’d no doubt own houses, holiday homes etc outright (no loans). You’d be getting 5% interest on such a bank account so would be pulling out £900,000 annually.

That said, if being mega mega rich is more important to a player, well everyone’s different and at least he’s open and honest about it.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  24. Mar 13, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Good on him for being honest. It sounds nuts to us, but like someone said before me - these guys get used to expensive tastes so the idea of going back to an average life must be difficult.

I wonder how many footballers hire financial advisors to make them more money.
  25. Mar 13, 2018

haram Full Member

Plus, if you are wise with the type of money he would be earning in Europe, he wouldn’t be poor when he is old period.

Just say you like money. This ‘I don’t want to be poor when I am old’ angle is nonsense.
  26. Mar 13, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Indeed. His argument doesn't really make sense. If he had said 'I'm rich but I want to be even more rich and that is more important to me than trophies' then I would have respected him.
  27. Mar 13, 2018

manc exile Full Member

You also need to look at his background. Losing his father at an early age has to have a big effect on how he views life and family.
    He went to china for the money and was honest enough to admit it. You have to respect that.
  28. Mar 13, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Fair play to him, if those are his priorities. I mean, family is probably the most important thing in just about everyone's lives.

Who are we to judge when I'd rate the vast majority of us would jump at the opportunity to double our salary ourselves.
  29. Mar 13, 2018

RoyH1 Full Member

You can play at a high level in Europe and be set for life if you take care of your money invest it right.
    All the money he's earning in China can disappear like that if he keeps on buying luxury cars and Richard Mille watches.
  30. Mar 13, 2018

SteveW Full Member

This. You absolutely do not need to go to China to have enough to live comfortably for the rest of your days. He could easily have financial security for himself and his family while also trying to achieve as much as he could in the game. The money footballers get is staggering.

He's just more interested in being filthy rich as opposed to just wealthy. It's not unusual at all. Let's just not start acting like it's some sort of noble attempt to feed his family.
  31. Mar 13, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

£50m over 10 year minus tax etc is around £25m.

£2.5m per year to live a luxury life in North London while putting away enough money for the remaining 50+ years of your life and look after your family and friends?

I don’t think people appreciate how expensive it is to be rich.
  32. Mar 13, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    What a lot of people seem to be missing is when he says family he probably means, cousins, brothers, sisters, 2nd and 3rd cousins, uncles, aunties, grand parents, friends and so on. That’s a lot of people to support.
  33. Mar 13, 2018

PeteManic Full Member

He's right. You've got to remember that these guys are not just supporting their partner and kids, but probably their entire extended family. I'm sure he is at least doubling his money in China.
  34. Mar 13, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    At least he's honest unlike Carrasco who went to China for the "challenge"
  35. Mar 13, 2018

Kostov Full Member

Fair play to the guy, said it as it is. Footballers have short careers and rarely are able to do anything other than kick a football. Nothing wrong in thinking longterm and securing the future of his family.
  36. Mar 13, 2018

Given that he’s South American it’s more than likely he’s providing for dozens with his income, inc. building them homes/funding their business.

People look at 50m and think it’s a lot, and sure it is, but divided between a bunch of people over decades and suddenly it looks a lot less impressive. And that’s disregarding the fact that there’s nothing wrong with him choosing money over glory in the first place.
  37. Mar 13, 2018

Akshay Moderator Staff

It's his career so it's his choice. I respect his honesty.
  38. Mar 13, 2018

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I think the not wanting to be poor line should read “I want to be rich”.

Which is fair enough, we all want more money, we all make decisions that benefit us for financial reasons and it’s good that he’s honest. But a man who can probably earn £150k a week in Europe certainly shouldn’t have a fear of being poor as opposed to not being rich.
  39. Mar 13, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

He probably has 20+ family members depending on him.
    People think he's talking about just his wife and kids are mistaken.
  40. Mar 13, 2018

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Why can't he earn money (ton's of it) and still dream of the World Cup?

Does he have to say that he doesn't care?