1. Draft game threads in the Football Forum have been moved to a new Draft Games Forum. This is to keep the Football Forum more on topic.
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar: I don't care if I go to the World Cup or no; I don't want to get poor when I am old

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by roonster09, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018

mancan92 Full Member

Sure but its not just him that will likely piss it away. For example I can imagine in my family the money would be controlled by alot of my family members not just me. In my culture until your late 20s you give your parents your pay check and they will give you back some of the money. So he will have many people in the pot of which he wouldn't be able to control whether that be an uncle, aunt, older sibling or even parent can be the cause of it aswell.
  2. Mar 13, 2018

mancan92 Full Member

It is when you are a kid from a 3rd world countries who has less than basic education and has spent 90% of his life playing football everyday. That why these discusses are tough sometimes on this forum since most people on here are from first world countries and normally from middle class. Your level of knowledge and understanding is a privilege it isnt right in the rest of the world.
  3. Mar 13, 2018

Migo New Member

I was going to write exactly the same, it's his choice really but it's like him admitting he can't handle life outside football. Almost all professional footballers re-invest their money in other businesses. Remember Pique mentioning that he is a business partner with Serio Ramos despite ripping each other out in the press over the Catalonia issue.
  4. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

What you're saying, does make sense in a way that the person might not be programmed to make rational decisions.

But that's when you have to have a word with yourself and think about how you had a poor beginning but you are now amongst the world's top 10% if not top 5% earners. Well done. The utility of each extra dollar at that end of income bracket is far lower than for someone who can't pay for food and shelter for example.
  5. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

Strangely Pique was the first player that came to my mind as well when I read this thread title.
  6. Mar 13, 2018

arthurka Full Member

No agree with that but this is 3x the avg yearly wage for a normal person that they make in a week.. So we can give us that he makes 150x more in a year and then 1500x more over the span of 10 years. . That should really be enough to give 20 people a very decent life for 100 years ... A normal person in the UK makes 3.05m in around 100 years. ..
  7. Mar 13, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

How many extended family members does he have to support?

I don't want to assume either way because just because he's from Brazil doesn't mean he has a big family.

Its his life and his career though but a part of me is slightly annoyed hearing footballers talk about money woes when the lowliest first team player at the bottom placed club in the league earns more in a month than most people do in a year. I don't even want to talk about players at the top clubs.

You can say they have lavish lifestyles that are expensive to maintain but if Oscar is so worried about becoming poor when he's old, then he should be living a "frugal" lifestyle. If he does then he shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  8. Mar 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Not all were in good hand. You saw many celebrities, sportmen went bankruptcy after their playing day. If anything, you can commend on Oscar trying to take matter in his own hands regarding his finance. I meant financial experts are to compete against each others, so there tends to be some losers. There are richer clients than Oscar for the better/ best financial experts to work for (they earned more putting same time on bigger investment). Earning big buck ain't that easy at the end of the day. Chinese football is easier route for his kind of talent to earn big buck in this case.

Edit: And in some cases if the profit is too great, the financial experts likely to keep the opportunity for themselves by investing their own money instead of working for clients and making living off commission. It's common sense I believe everyone would have been aware of, yes?!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  9. Mar 13, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

Yeah of course wife and kids take up a lot of costs, but even with a poor background why everybody keeps assuming his whole family are some kind of social parasites that would leech off him forever.

Surely with them getting money from Oscar could provide them opportunity to gain a job or start a little business for themselves that could turn profitable?
  10. Mar 13, 2018

mancan92 Full Member

How can you make rational and right decisions when you and the people around you haven't got the knowledge or the experience of how to work in those situations. Yes if you have been exposed to how to work with money and have life experience to deal with it. But if you don't how are you going to suddenly develop the ability to do that?
  11. Mar 13, 2018

mancan92 Full Member

You would hope so mate but unfortunately thats not true. I'm sure theres many people in Oscar's circle who will happily be leaching off him for the rest of their lives. Especially in that social background.
  12. Mar 13, 2018

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    His reasoning doesn't resonate with me, TBH - given the scales of money involved in the European club game, he could lead a fairly extravagant life for decades. But then again, I've never been offered the amounts of money he has been, so I couldn't possibly fathom his circumstances, and Oscar has a right to opinion, and the path a player takes should depend entirely on the his/her personality and priorities, IMO - where we like it or not, because ultimately, it's not our decision to make and he shouldn't rely on the opinion of the masses. There's a general tendency to sort people into clusters and stereotype them without considering individual nuance before passing righteous judgement - especially in football where the average fan romanticizes and idolizes professional ball-kickers to no end, and reckons they all must love the sport as a rule of thumb, or take get pride in individual/collective/nationalistic glory from an emotional standpoint — when some view it as just another job, and for those that have risen from poorer strata of society - at times, merely a means to an end - no different that most other professions, except this ones affords the crème de la crème an international profile where the sensibilities of millions are projected unto the player, whether it's warranted or not. If Oscar wants to earn as much money as possible - and as soon as possible, and ensure the long-term prosperity of his immediate or extended family then good for him, methinks - irregardless of whether his rationale makes sense to us.
  13. Mar 13, 2018

GimmeAKitKat Four Brown Fingers

Players make wages based on the income of their employer, as does every employee anywhere. Their employer's make said income based on the money available in their industry, and their ability to attain it, as everywhere.

We generally don't complain that Neurosurgeons get paid more than nurses. They get paid a percentage of the employer's wage budget based on their individual worth to that company.

Never have and never will understand why people take issue with football players making money. Just because we like watching it, doesn't mean it's any different from any other business, or any person in any other career. How they choose to make that career is their choice alone.

If you have an issue watching people play football for money, go and watch Sunday league down your local park, and stop bloody whining.
  14. Mar 13, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

Yeah that's true. At least some relatives become player agents limiting some of footballer's expenditures. I guess you can at least call that a job, unless you do it like Messi's dad and end up in jail(or close to it unless you are Messi).:lol:
  15. Mar 13, 2018

Ram1fy New Member

It speaks more about the way sporting world and financial world is organized than him to be honest. I mean, it shouldn’t come to a point where any player or person needs to choose between one of the two. When City comes and invests a shit ton of money in football, they are just being shrewd and saw a good investment opportunity. You need to blame clubs like Arsenal and United for being complacent and not investing back enough.
  16. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

The sports people of past generation(Mike Tyson) lost their money being stupid with it. Literally throwing all your money in Vegas, is not the way to remain wealthy. If anything that teaches us is that, no matter how much you have accumulated in your sports career, you still need finance and accounts professionals around you who would look after your money and cut you off when you can't afford something. This is also the reason why majority of lotto winners don't remain wealthy for prolonged periods. Oscar will be poor in his old age if he is careless with his money like Tyson.

I am not talking about hiring financial experts who risk his money in junk bonds. I am saying that he would probably be set for life by putting his money in small low investment businesses, real estate or low risk financial assets.

Surely, at some point in your multi-millionaire career, you'd want to leave a legacy that your generations can be proud of? What better, realistic way to do that than playing football for Brazilian national team?
  17. Mar 13, 2018

SteveW Full Member

Haven't read the full thread so apologies if i'm missing some context but are you saying United aren't paying players enough?
  18. Mar 13, 2018

Dinghy Full Member

Fair fecks to him. It's not like he's amongst the 30-40 best players in the world and a dead cert starter for Brazil anyway. Like someone else stated here, he has already played for Brazil in the world cup, -in Brazil-. He chose to triple his salary instead of (maybe) playing for a top 5 side in Europe, and getting a few minutes on the pitch in Russia.

Why would playing in the Premier League be a more noble choice for him, as a south american....
  19. Mar 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

You made fair points, but still missing plenty key points. For example there are cases where it's the financial experts who run their own clients to ground either outright steal their fortune or just incompetent.

British people would have be aware of Elton John case right? He lost over 30mil due to his financial management teams.

Firstly, it's not easy to pick the good hand to give your money to. It's already risky from the beginning. Bernie Madoff stole even from experts. Do you think people with lesser knowledge would see right through these big fake reputation before the end? Secondly, since you're hiring someone to invest, manage your fortune, then you're unlikely well educated to differ between low risk and high risk invest. Finally, the ones you hire want to earn more for their time spending on your fortune too, even if they're good honest ones. Their cut is on your earning so they would try to persuade you invest more (than you're comfortable to put into at first) or take higher risk investments. Not everyone can stay away from a more well educated smooth talker's temptation.

It's strange you listed real estate among low risk investment when even nations got hit hard by it, not just individual investors. Oscar's choice is safer.
  20. Mar 13, 2018

Dorris New Member

Exactly. It boggles the mind how people seem to ignore the possibility of him investing his money. He could buy a house a month and rent them out for the rest of his life, and still have enough in said month to live like a king. He doesn't need to be some financial genius.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  21. Mar 13, 2018

RedStarUnited Full Member

Im not trying to be rude but - This ideology you have in your post is why most lottery winners and sportsmen themselves end up up broke.

I personally never understand why fans seem to forget that football is a job and not a hobby. The vast majority of players who come from a less privileged background take up sports like football because it allows them to escape poverty, the glory is just a bonus.
  22. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

There is always a chance of scam obviously. He could be scammed by his football agent too. He could keep his money in the wrong bank account and the bank could shut up shop and take his money with them. Before you mention insurance, bank accounts aren't insured for millions. You can choose not to walk outside on the streets because many people get hit by cars while walking.

Now talking about the experts who aren't trying to scam you, you can find plenty of ways to invest money. I am not going to create financial advise suited to Oscar on caf but it's entirely possible to live lavishly on his money being invested in the right place. Much more probable for your money to last if the right people are managing it than you managing it yourself if you've got no idea how to manage money.

Real estate isn't low risk and I didn't say it was. There's a comma in my sentence. Real estate has very high liquidity risk but it's still used by literally every rich person as a form of diversification due to lower fluctuating nature of it.
  23. Mar 13, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Kin ell @shamans.

30m even without interest payments/investments or properties to sell rent etc. is still about £15,000 a week for 40 years.

How lavish do you wanna live? :lol:

”£30,000,000 is nothing”... I’ve heard it all on the cafe now.
  24. Mar 13, 2018

Ram1fy New Member

I guess the larger point I was making is, United didn't start reacting to the changes in the financial side of the football quickly enough - they got complacent. As the largest club in England, they needed to constantly reinvest and take it to a point where entry wouldn't have even been a consideration for clubs like Chelsea or City to enter because it's not lucrative. The same way if China is able to pay so much in wages, it is more than player's choice. They are the Manchester City of football leagues. So if European leagues don't react quickly enough, the players, especially non- Europeans will go there.
  25. Mar 13, 2018

RedStarUnited Full Member

I wonder how many people in here would go work for a top tier company in their field, rather than a less glorious one that pays 2/3 times more. Can you imagine a developer wanting to go work at Google for 200k/year because its Google, when there's a smaller tech firm willing to pay him 500k a year?
  26. Mar 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

You made fair points again, but as I read we both agree, the key is to get the good hand to entrust things to, which is your initial point how Oscar should make. It's not that simple.

In this case it's Oscar tried to make the call himself and as I pointed out it's a safer option as most people who work earn salary and don't invest in high risk investment they ain't familiar with. Leaving your money in someone's hand and it's beginning of the worry that you don't have chance to you it yourself. He may eventually lose the fortune himself through his own mistake, sure, in case he use up the fortune himself. That's it. There is no absolute right or wrong on the matter, it's each person's own call.
  27. Mar 13, 2018

Chymerinho New Member

Hello everyone. My first post here and I am honoured to be part of this great club and the Cafe too. I can relate with Oscar’s statement, many footballers from developing countries get poor financial advice. Eboue for instance is broke. A friend’s uncle who played for the Nigerian National team in the 80s is practically living on charity. But, I think that with sound financial advice, you can play for glory and future comfort.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  28. Mar 13, 2018

SteveW Full Member

I disagree with this. European clubs are already spending too much on wages. They'd basically have to double their wage structures to match the highest wages on offer in China. Hardly worth it to avoid missing out on a couple of mercenaries. Can you even name one player that's gone there that we would actually want?
  29. Mar 13, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Oscar's dad died when he was 3. He's probably been supporting his family financially since he was a teen.

I also bet that if Real Madrid or Barcelona offered him 50% of what he is currently earning he would take it. I understand him not wanting to take a pay cut to play for Everton.
  30. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

I pretty much agree with what you're saying to be honest. I just feel that when you have no food and shelter, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. But then you move up and start getting comfortable, start to splurge and ultimately earn enough to give yourself and your loved ones a great standard of living for rest of your life. This is possible straight out of your savings account as a Brazil international, Chelsea player. But then if you've got an option to either upgrade on an already great standard of living or set a legacy for yourself that your generations would be proud of, the ones with high ambition would choose the latter I would think.
  31. Mar 13, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

Theres only so much money you can spend, he could easily have stayed at Chelsea earning 150k a week or whatever and have a successful career and be set for life.
  32. Mar 13, 2018

SteveW Full Member

To be fair it's not a good comparison. Playing football in China can't be stimulating, challenging or even enjoyable for a top footballer. To me it's more akin to a developer deciding to spend his days bored, fixing printers or something.

Also take into account we're the figures we're talking about. Either option will pay these people more money than they should ever need in 10 lifetimes. We're not talking about the difference between 200k and 500k
  33. Mar 13, 2018

Mickfoley New Member

Poor attitude and mentality. Hope he rots in shit leagues for life.
  34. Mar 13, 2018

432JuanMata Full Member

Someone should edit the title he never said this, his last interview was a few days ago talking about how he hopes he is in the WC squad
  35. Mar 13, 2018

MackRobinson New Member

Supports:
    Football
    It absolutely does. This is why a large number of professional athletes in the US go broke shortly after retiring.

https://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke

You seem to have an extremely myopic point of view about this topic. A lot of athletes come from neighborhoods where they are the only people to make it out. Therefore, they are under immense pressure to provide for those around them (not just family).

It's easy to criticize professional athletes about their spending habits and their perceived greed, but this usually comes from an point of view of people who have the privilege of financial literacy.

So yes, you should get some perspective.
  36. Mar 13, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Don't disagree one bit. Just that different people have different look/ambition on life. Cheers.
    Edit:
    Thing is Chelsea would have eventually replace him the way he had been performing toward the end of his time there knowing how ruthless Chelsea board is. And his performance wouldn't warrant him similar wage else where, let alone him earning more. He jumped at the chance to go to China and earn much more with a longer contract that Chelsea's, and still within a chance to get back to Europe to earn similar wage as in the scenario where he runs his Chelsea's contract down.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  37. Mar 13, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Come on @MackRobinson, have you even read the article you posted?

Rocket Ismail earned approx £14,000,000 over his 12 year career. Oscar was making that around every 2 years at Chelsea.

The other stories include people earning as much as Oscar does in China and still managing to lose it by being fecking morons. Proof that, if you're a moron, you can lose any amount of money, and there aint no future proofing that.
  38. Mar 13, 2018

Redlyn Full Member

People bring up his salary and then compare it to their current lifestyle and conclude he doesn't need to go after money. If i earned 10% of my salary I would not live where I live, drive the car I drive, eat where I eat, buy the things I buy, go to holiday where and when I go, spend on my friends, family and relatives like I do. Basically my whole financial outlook would be different.

So they take Oscar's salary and then say he has more than enough and he is set for life based on their own spending habits.
    The millions he earns would be enough for you but not enough for him, his family and the life they have become accustomed to. Don't judge him through your lenses.
  39. Mar 13, 2018

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

The average UK citizen spends under just under £2m over the course of their lifetime. In 2 seasons on his current wage Oscar could save up enough to fund 12 family members to live in a wealthy country with a high standard of living and no financial stress whatsoever, and double that if he wants to fund family members back home. A family size of 24 is a wife, two children, 4 parents, 4 grandparents, 6 siblings, and 7 nieces and nephews, including in-laws. If he was earning £80k a week at a top club it would take him 8 years to do the same.

Has anyone ever done a study on what ex-pros do with that money? Would be interesting to see if it does transform an entire generation of a family, and trickle down.
  40. Mar 13, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

We don't have to agree or disagree. Not everyone has ambition and Oscar is one of those players with no ambition. Nothing wrong with that though.

At the age of 20 something if his response to playing badly was to look at China instead of improving his game, then it pretty much reiterates what I am saying about his lack of ambition. At the highest level, differences are very minor and a strong mentality and will to succeed along with decent technique that he possesses would've been more than enough for him to find another club where he could still be paid well and play competitively at the highest level.