Our current board of directors

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by quiet_united, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Dec 24, 2017

quiet_united Vietnamese Red

Here is our current board of directors, the people who make all the important decisions for the future of our club.

• Avram Glazer – Executive Co-Chairman and Director

• Joel Glazer – Executive Co-Chairman and Director

• Edward Woodward – Executive Vice Chairman and Director

• Richard Arnold – Group Managing Director and Director

• Cliff Baty – Chief Financial Officer

• Kevin Glazer – Director

• Bryan Glazer – Director

• Darcie Glazer Kassewitz – Director

• Edward Glazer – Director

• Robert Leitão – Independent Director

• Man Utd Sawhney – Independent Director

• John Hooks – Independent Director

6/12 are the Glazers.
    0/12 have any football connection/experience before joining our board
    0/12 were here before the Glazers. In another word, not a single member is involved with our club prior to the takeover.
    11/12 are not from the UK. Majority of them from the US.

If this is an investment bank, we have a decent board. As for a football club, it is an absolute joke. They are all beginners when it come to running a football club. They have no expertise, no connection whatsoever in the football world. Sir Alex kept us winning out of his sheer genius and ability but even he had David Gill. The only connection left after Sir Alex retired were our backroom staff and Moyes get rid of them all. How did we get to this point when our board are full of investment bankers and commercial salesman??

I believe long term, this is the single biggest problem we have as a football club.
  2. Dec 24, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Is this another disguised we should get a director of football thread. Then yeah I agree.

But the above about our board not having any football connection can be applied to 90% of clubs.
  3. Dec 24, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

I'm sorry but the american count is completely wrong, at least 4 aren't americans.
  4. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

I'd certainly say a lot less than 90% of clubs, it is very obvious that many clubs have directors who are long time associates with the club or within the game.
    Most of our board know the game as soccer, that says a lot.
  5. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

11/12 are not from the UK. Majority of them from the US. What count are you on about? Majority isn't a number.
  6. Dec 24, 2017

Hasawi Red New Member

It is a worrying thing to see and explains the trial-and-error ways the club is being run now. And i fear that they are learning on the job, which is a disaster for a club the size of United's
  7. Dec 24, 2017

Sorry, I read from the US. You have 6 from the US, 4 from the UK, 1 from Brazil and 1 from India. Among the 6 americans only 1 is actually involved in the clubs affairs, the majority of active members are british. Also it's not really a problem, the problem has more to do with the organization of the football side of things where too little people are seemingly in charge of too much.
  8. Dec 24, 2017

SkeppyRed Lineups Game Winner 2012/13

Over the last 10 years the club has been one of the least innovative of all the top clubs in football. We have stagnated in countless areas.

But yeah, as long as our commercial revenue has increased and we keep spunking tens of millions on average players who cares, right.
  9. Dec 24, 2017

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

The only people responsible for matters on the pitch and players we sign/players we sell are Ed Woodward/Jose Mourinho.

All the board you listed are in charge of how the club is run (none-football matters) which they do a fantastic job when you look at all the commercial partners Manchester United get and all the money the clubs gets from this, we are top of the game in that department.

The Glazers have always give Ed Woodward/The manager(s) everything they've ever wanted. Breaking world record transfer fees for teenagers (Martial/Shaw), breaking world record transfer fees in general for players twice in 2 seasons (Pogba/Lukaku), i won't hear a bad word about the Glazers, they've been fantastic and perfect owners, put it this way will be a worrying time if one day they come to sell the club.
  10. Dec 24, 2017

Kostur Full Member

Is this the #stayBritish thread?
  11. Dec 24, 2017

Total fecking shite. At the very least they should be held accountable for putting someone in charge who doesn't have the edge over his rivals in terms of vision and direction. Flashing the transfer cash irresponsibly is not pulling the wool over my eyes.
  12. Dec 24, 2017

pascell Full Member

Brought enough money into the club so we can challenge at the top - Check

Made the big decisions swiftly with regards to hiring and firing managers - Check

Improved the standard of manager - Check

Provided manager with transfer funds and wages to compete at the top - Check

Built our neglected scouting network back up from the bottom to the top - Check

Reformed our youth structure - Check

Given the green light on signing players for huge fees etc - Check

I'm probably missing more but I'm struggling to see where they are bad for us long term?

I remember the days when I'd go on OT and everyone would be calling for the Glazers and the G&G campaign was in full force, those are nowhere to be seen anymore in such vast numbers as they've given the club and manager what they've needed to improve the club and team.

I understand some of us are miffed at the recent results but we've had much much worse at our football club and we've bounced back from them and won titles on several occasions.
  13. Dec 24, 2017

Treble Full Member

Lukaku is Neymar in disguise :drool:
  14. Dec 24, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

We are 2nd, in the CL Ro16 and the way ahead only seems to be further improvement, but this forum has more threads moaning about the state of affairs than the forums for the likes of Sunderland and Blackburn.
  15. Dec 24, 2017

Treble Full Member

The discrepancy between the financial power of the club and the quality of football is staggering. And it is the biggest discrepancy of that kind in the world. Some people aren't doing their job well.
  16. Dec 24, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Well said. Our current malaise has more to do with the managers we hired after Fergie and before Jose. The board have empowered the managers more than at any other club. Unfortunately that can backfire when the manager is shit.
  17. Dec 24, 2017

Yeah I'm sure they made that decision. Ed Woodward would have been response for that, if they stuck their nose in and hired some puppet Manager (like the Jenky owners at Blackburn) or was tight arses (Mike Ashley) then that would have created a whole different mess.

For all the shite Van Gaal/Moyes bought and to an extant Jose, is nothing to do with the Glazers, all they do is hand the money over to get whoever the managers/Ed wants and they've always done that.

They've been absolutely brilliant owners.
  18. Dec 24, 2017

That's because we are still clinging onto the SAF model, the fans and seemingly the board still struggle with the idea that only SAF was able to work under this type of conditions and it took him years to perfect it. We need to build a top notch footballing direction, the same way we have a top notch administrative and financial organization.
  19. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

No it's the lets have some people who have a long term understanding of the game and not just some businessmen who manage a franchise.
  20. Dec 24, 2017

Ban Full Member

It's 'some fans know better how it should be run than the actual people doing it' thread.
  21. Dec 24, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Even if this were accurate, which it very much is not, it would be entirely meaningless.
  22. Dec 24, 2017

Kostur Full Member

And put them on the board or what?

The only thing we could do with is probably a DoF who wouldn't sit amongst the board mentioned in the OP, rest is fine.
  23. Dec 24, 2017

I think some fans wish the Red Knights took over, ie:- 100 Mike Ashley's/Piers Morgan's/Simon Cowell's/Dragons Den crew and Bet Fred all chucking some money in from their back pocket to own club, what a disaster that would have been!

Wonder what our transfer budget would look like under those, not counting all civil wars from within the club, all having their say on how the club should be run, would have been an absolute nightmare.
  24. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

You do know the Glazers haven't invested in the club, the club paid the debts, the club paid them Directors dividends and wages. So saying other owners are tight arses (some of whom have actually invested a lot of their personal fiances into their clubs), when comparing to the Glazers, is wrong.
    Also the board of Directors sanction transfers, they allowed many poor transfer decisions to stand.

Glazers had a business plan, which they successfully put into action. Other owners have badly managed clubs yes. The Glazers have been a mixed bag for United, I'd certainly not say brilliant. Club is certainly lacking when transitioning through managers and transfers have frequently been poorly handled.
  25. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

Did you get that from your crystal ball?

No one can comment of what didn't happen, as it didn't happen. The club has had a large fan base for many decades, United have and should always have a large income stream, regardless of whom the owners are.
  26. Dec 24, 2017

MancunianAngels Full Member

The club did not prepare for the retirement of Fergie.

The Glazers and Gill are to blame for that.
  27. Dec 24, 2017

Ban Full Member

Fergie recommended Moyes, they shouldn't have listened to him. As for other stuff I don't know what you mean, but that was a big, big mistake for a start.
  28. Dec 24, 2017

Treble Full Member

Yep, how Fergie could make such a mistake is beyond me. Fergie himslef did wonders at Aberdeen. It's not like Moyes did something simlar at Everton. Bizarre.
  29. Dec 24, 2017

Ban Full Member

I may be exaggerating a bit but hiring that clown has taken us down big time. Not to mention he ousted the whole Fergie board as if he can all do it by himself.
  30. Dec 24, 2017

Doesn't matter its their club, they can do what they want. All you/me and everyone else are on this site are is 'fans' of the club, truth is we have no say what happens with 'their' club.

All i will say is at least they just don't leech from the club and suck it dry like some owners, the commercial deals United have got wouldn't have happened if wasn't for the Glazers too, so they aren't vampires and do contribute in a positive way. United have been accused of inflating the transfer market for how much it's been paying for players, been accused of being worse than PSG and City for how much it pays per player and spends in general per season recent years, so that's fantastic and says to me club does and can and does compete for the best.

As a plc that wouldn't be happening, under the Red Knights that wouldn't be happening and a new owner, like a neighbor moving out, you never know who your going to get moving in, me personally i like things the way they are now, so long may it continue and *fingers crossed* the Glazers have no plans to sell.
  31. Dec 24, 2017

I'm talking about hiring Woodward, not Jose.
  32. Dec 24, 2017

Ban Full Member

What's his problem exactly?
  33. Dec 24, 2017

freeurmind weak willed

#GlazersOut
  34. Dec 24, 2017

bond19821982 Full Member

Board of directors is definitely not our problem. Infact, they have been very supportive unlike lot of other owners.

Jose and Ed is responsible for all football related matters. SAF should take up the majority of the blame for the mess we went through in the last 4 years. Leaving a below par midfield to a clueless Moyes started everything.

And why should we concerned about their nationality if they are not getting involved in club's activities? Even if they are, I still wouldn't worry about their place of origin .

Strange thread, to be honest.
  35. Dec 24, 2017

freeurmind weak willed

:lol: This has to be trolling surely.
  36. Dec 24, 2017

Rather than just posting a laughing Jonjo Shelvey smiley face in my direction along with accusing someone of 'trolling', explain why you think it's 'trolling' give your views why I'm so wrong.

This is what these forums/threads are all about, people will all different opinions putting forward their ways of thinking 'why' they think what they do and that's what I've done.

Feel free to put your opinions across.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  37. Dec 24, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

So all owners who don't suck the club dry are brilliant then? Cool

No one can comment on what other owners would or wouldn't be doing as it's just guess work. The Glazers own the club and they've not been brilliant, they have many fault, as much like to many other club owners. There are other ways to run a club, other than like a business franchise.
  38. Dec 24, 2017

Probably doing his best, but under him the club has stagnated. Spending millions on shite and increasing revenue are not the only two areas that matter.

Maybe i'l be proved wrong but the ownership over the last 10 years has left me concerned about the long term direction of the club. With the amount of money we make you'd like to think we will get it right eventually but I don't see much innovation coming from the ownership at the moment.
  39. Dec 24, 2017

SalfordRed18 Full Member

Isn't Fergie a director?
  40. Dec 24, 2017

Big Ben Foster Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    There are two boards. This is the corporate BOD. We also have a football club BOD which includes SAF, SBC, Gill, etc.