Our last unequivocal, no questions asked, 100% successful signing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Obviously, it's not always black and white but it's fair to say that the likes of Hazard, Salah, Firmino and Eriksen have been absolutely nailed on success stories for their respective clubs. Not even a shadow of a doubt.

To whom can we say the same about at United? Who is the last player we signed that belongs in that same category?

I'll kick things off by saying RvP is the most recent example IMHO (and we only got one good season out of him) Before him, I'd have to go with Carrick.

Discuss...
  2. Feb 8, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I think RVP was the last one.
  3. Feb 8, 2018

GBBQ Full Member

Think we bought a decent keeper at some stage there too.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    This thread will become about Pogba. Nice work Pogues!
  5. Feb 8, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Georgie Best
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Hawks2008 Full Member

RVP is a good shout, prior to him the likes of Carrick, DDG, and Valencia have also been very successful during their time here.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Yeah, I like Romero, too.

I don't think RvP was an unequivocal no questions asked success btw. One very good season and then a rapid decline.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Hmm good question.

De Gea or RVP would be my suggestions.
  9. Feb 8, 2018

Anduin Full Member

Most recently: Romero, bar 1-2 games at the beginning. RVP, De Gea, Valencia (if you don't see him as Ronaldo replacement which he initially was, but he has given us tremendous service). I expect Martial, Pogba and of course Sanchez to be in this category in a couple of years, providing they stay injury-free.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

haram Full Member

The best keeper in the world!
  11. Feb 8, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

DeGea,
    Bailly could be Jose's best signing.
  12. Feb 8, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I always thought RVP's poor second season was down to Fergie quiting rather than natural decline. Probably a combination of both to be fair.
  13. Feb 8, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Crazy to see you say that given I can still remember how you spoke about him on here. If it were possible for a fan to drive a player out of a club, that would have been you and Persie.
  14. Feb 8, 2018

Yes! My brain got locked into thinking about outfield players. De Gea definitely the most recent. Then RvP. Then...
  15. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

He won the club the league in his first season, then he turned shit. Nothing wrong with Pogue’s assesment imo.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

Depends on what is expected from the player. I think Herrera and Fellaini have pretty much done what they should as squad midfielders.

After all, the only reason Pogba hasn’t been a unanimous answer is down to the level of expectation. If we are clear that there is a massive difference in expectation between him and Fellaini/Herrera - then the latter two have done their bit.

Matic has been as much a success as he can be too.
  17. Feb 8, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

De Gea was signed before Van Persie wasn’t he?
  18. Feb 8, 2018

Untied Full Member

Sorry to be picky, but RVP arrived after De Gea, so if you think RVP was an unqualified success (I don't think I do really) he would still be the most recent.
  19. Feb 8, 2018

:lol: fecking drama queen. He was brilliant in his first season with us, then declined in his second and third seasons. From averaging 3 goals in 5 down to less than 1 in 3. I called his performances as I saw them. Evidently that hurt your feelings. I can live with that.
  20. Feb 8, 2018

Pogue seemed to hate the man (in the caf sensationalised sense of the word) before the end. Sure he still managed about 20 goals the following season too.
  21. Feb 8, 2018

There was nothing at all that suggested my feelings were hurt. My point was referencing how he, at the time, appeared to hurt yours - hence my surprise at you referring to him as an ‘unequivocal success’.
  22. Feb 8, 2018

Ok, cool. So, in order it would be RvP, then De Gea, then Carrick.

My own opinion obviously. I'm sure others might disagree. And it's also definitely possible De Gea isn't the only one I've overlooked.
  23. Feb 8, 2018

Thecarrickfan_2016 Banned

De Gea, He came to us a boy, We turned him into the world-class goalkeeper that he is today, Especially for a bargain fee as well. Although I agree with Van Persie. He was a great signing for us. He scored big goals in big games for us, Especially in his first season with us as well.
  24. Feb 8, 2018

meamth Full Member

Obviously Angel Di Maria and Falcao. Magnificent puppet signing. Oh? wait...
  25. Feb 8, 2018

10 goals. In 29 appearances. In all competitions.

Admittedly, injuries didn't help but the decline was obvious.
  26. Feb 8, 2018

nii putu New Member

One thing I've learned in football is that, it's easier to judge opposition players than our own players, because we watch ours more often than players of other teams. I am very confident that when we give this platform to opposition fans, they'll mention Manchester United players who have been 100% successful signings which we (United Fans) will not agree to because we know so much their flaws.

It's the same with other teams. The way Hazard has blown hot and cold in the last six years he's been in England, I wonder what qualifies him as 100% successful signing. Let's see what the Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs fans think of your opinion about their players.

NB: One thing also to notice is the fact that people don’t focus so much on player performances so far as the team is successful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  27. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Valencia?
  28. Feb 8, 2018

Why would that be a surprise? Him and Carrick were by far the most important players in winning one of our most significant league titles ever. He scored 30 goals in that season. Of course he was a success.

You do make a fair point, is one really excellent season enough to be an unequivocal success? If Salah goes to shite next year does he belong in the same category as Hazard or Eriksen? Arguably not. Nani had at least one excellent season but was he a 100% successful signing?
  29. Feb 8, 2018

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Both Herrera and Fellaini were brought in at great expense (at the time), £30m and £27.5m and were not meant to be squad players, but first teamers. The fact that both have failed, cannot mean that they were successful signings. Both have made contributions, but an unequivocal success would be a massive stretch.
  30. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Ibra. with 28 goals, and not even a full season.
  31. Feb 8, 2018

Good call. Although he definitely fits in the "one season wonder" category. Maybe any signing should rack up two or more great seasons to be in the Eriksen/Silva/Hazard category?
  32. Feb 8, 2018

Jerch Full Member

For me Martial and Pogba are the last ones (jury is out for Bailly if he can handle his injuries and Matic could fall into that category if he keeps going). Wouldn't say Ibra or RVP were that because they had only one good season and u would expect more than that.
  33. Feb 8, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

De Gea. Arrived as a kid, put up with flack from all corners of the media, was constantly targeted, was even dropped, The Mirror constantly calling him "De Howler" and "De Donut". Now he plays every came with two fingers stuck up at everyone. He has the best stats of any PL goalkeeper during the time he has been here, which includes those months when the media were right down his throat, as well as the catastrophic Moyes season. For £18m, one of the best signings in the last decade for anyone.

At a stretch, you could make a case for Valencia. He was poor in 12/13 when he wore the 7. He's been a mainstay in the team throughout his time, and seems to play whenever he is fit, which is pretty much all the time. Came back from that horrific injury like he'd never been away and went on to have a stormer of a season. He's no matchwinner, but a hugely important player for the team.

Possibly Martial too. He also took a lot of flack from the media in his first season. Ray Parlour in particular blasted him before he'd even kicked a ball for us, for the Merson-esque reason of "Never 'eard of 'im" only for him to put the Scousers to bed on his debut. I think if he had Mourinho's trust last season, he'd have scored much more than he did. It took him a while to win Mourinho over, but now he's back on it again. Not that far behind Firmino in terms of contribution. Firmino has 42 goals in 124 games, Martial with 36 in 125 mostly from out wide. A much more talented player than Firmino, and much younger. Firmino is currently more consistent, but Martial's peak should be much greater IMO, which he maybe be another 2 or 3 years away from yet.
  34. Feb 8, 2018

I think it’s touch and go. They were brought in as First-teamers, but also in the context of what we had/where we were. They were not ‘marquee signings’ even at the time. They were steps in the right direction, but I don’t think they were expected to achieve the same impact as Pogba’s, Hazard’s and the like. I think they have been fairly consistent at the level (maybe two) below.

Herrera is only out of the team because we took the next step and bought players the level above him in Matic and Pogba. Fellaini, fair enough, might not be in the team even if we didn’t.
  35. Feb 8, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

Depends what you mean by successful. I would say Zlatan was extremely successful seeing as he was free, and the idea can't have been for him to go much further beyond the one season. Certainly turned out a lot better than I was expecting.

Is Firminho really that much better than some of the players we've added over the past few years? Martial has been pretty important for us. Mata is an important part of the squad. Firminho is a pretty important player for Liverpool but he isn't a world beater. Even if you go prior to RVP, De Gea was signed the year before...he's been our best player and the best keeper in the league more or less every year since we signed him.

Our signings could have been better but I think we only had the one big blip which was LVG where it seemed almost like Woodward thought he was playing FIFA. Other teams are pretty hit and miss too. It's more difficult in the current climate with everyone willing to pay silly money for players. without putting any real research in.
  36. Feb 8, 2018

MichaelRed New Member

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree over Salah, you are judging him a success based on half a season. Following that Logic we can put the likes of Bailly and Martial into that catagory since they burst onto the scene here too.
  37. Feb 8, 2018

GuyfromAustria New Member

Unequivocal, no questions asked? No one! :D Some people preferred Lindegaard over De Gea, so...

Someone was naming Valencia, he's obviously well liked today and has been a good player for the club, but are people forgetting there were multiple seasons 4-5 years ago, where everyone thought he was horrible and had completely lost it?
  38. Feb 8, 2018

Those stats are encouraging. Although Firmino's all round game, in terms of passing, movement and defending from the front would be absolutely streets ahead of Martial. But he isn't "yong and lernin", so there's that. It's actually almost impossible for someone as young as Martial to be an unequivocal success because they will inevitably be inconsistent. At the equivalent point in De Gea's United career he was a good level below what he's gone on to achieve since in terms of sustained quality performances.

If you look at players like Sterling and Coutinho they were also being slated as inconsistent and of debatable quality when they were Martial's age. I guess you need to be looking exclusively at 24-25+ year olds to find the 100%, no questions asked, success stories (or have the benefit of hindsight!)
  39. Feb 8, 2018

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    > Sanchez
    (part of a swap deal but still “signed”)

> Matic
    (just his first season)

> Pogba

> Zlatan

> Bailly
    (when he’s healthy there’s no denying)

> Martial

> Romero + Shaw
    (lesser extent due to Romero being a backup and Shaw’s inconsistencies mostly due to injury)

...no questions asked, those listed above have been/are studs for the club. Latter 2 aren’t penciled in as everyday starters but are very vital and reliable when called upon.
  40. Feb 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

How come people keep rewriting history on Fellaini? He was truly awful for a long time and from the very beginning wasn't a step in the right direction because it was a panic buy from Moyes.