1. Follow build-up and lives updates for the Brighton match here.
    Dismiss Notice

Our last unequivocal, no questions asked, 100% successful signing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

He got 12 in 21 in the PL alone in his second season, and about 18 overall.

That said, his decline (which also co-included with the return of his injuries from his former years) cannot be disputed, I agree.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Except for his terrible injury I think he would have been in that category @Pogue Mahone . Bailly is another who hit the ground running and will be tops for us.
  3. Feb 8, 2018

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    De Gea back in 2011 springs to mind. Vidic, Evra and Carrick in 2006 stand out. In terms of output, Ronaldo is an obvious one although I'm sure you would have preferred it if he stayed at United for a bit closer to a decade but he had his heart set on Mardrid. I don't want to go back more than a decade and a half but Rooney in 2004 is surely another unequivocal success.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Nah. He did well for us last season because he’s a classy player but he was quite frustrating and limited, certainly not an ‘unequivocal success’.

United have definitely struggled buying perfect matches. Other clubs seem to get these players that slip in seamlessly like Eriksen, Salah, De Bruyne and in the past Aguero, Sanchez (Arse), Suarez for example. The only ones I can think of over a similar time frame for United is Ronaldo and De Gea, maybe Carrick. Wouldn’t put RVP in there, he only had one great season.
  5. Feb 8, 2018

Well, he wasn’t no. At the time, we had near enough no midfield - and we had to bring in midfielders. If we were going to assemble a collection of say Fellaini, Herrera, Fabregas and Carrick - which seemed something like Moyes’ plan - then obviously getting him was a step towards moving to an overall better midfield unit. Situation was worsened firstly by his cost, and then by the fact that he was the only.

FWIW, I didn’t want us to sign him either, but I think to be fair to Moyes, from the beginning, he never spoke of Fellaini as the man to take out midfield up a level. He tended to stress how he can come in and do a specific job, and I think it’s fair to say that on the whole, he has done that job, however you want to define it.
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

Pogba.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

Fergie 7ime New Member

Am I the only one who loves Matic? He’s been nothing short of amazing imo. Lately he hasn’t been the all action war machine we’ve seen in the beginning, but that’s down to Jose by playing him every minute until the end of the Christmas period. What a signing.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

I remember everyone blasting Ronaldo when he came here first. With his fancy step-overs that more often than not didn't come off. Then Keano pulled him aside and gave him a piece of his mind and what a player he turned out to be. He has often brought this up himself.
  9. Feb 8, 2018

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Van P came to us as a little boy and left a wreck :)
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Brightonian Full Member

Martial. I know he hasn't hit his full potential yet but he wouldn't have been expected to. Seemed pricy at the time but in hindsight an absolute steal for a player who is already superb and only going to get better.

Ibra counts because realistically I doubt we banked on getting more than one great season out of him.

Matic. Dunno what question marks you could possibly raise about him, he's been the rock on which everything good we've done this season has been built.

And this is a weird one but... Valencia. Had a couple of seasons where he was one of the most productive wingers in Europe. And since his conversion to FB he's consistently been amongst the top few in the league. The fiction that we bought him to replace Ronaldo has counted against him with fans, but every season he's done what his managers have asked of him.

So yeah, the last one would be Matic.
  11. Feb 8, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

12. Feb 8, 2018

Eleven-Eighteen New Member

Good question. Answer will have to wait until we win the League/ CL again. Because unequivocal success at ManUtd, for team or individual, can only come from winning either of those two things.
  13. Feb 8, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Agreed that Martial's pressing and movement could be better, though I do think his passing is solid, especially in those tight spaces. As an individual with the ball at his feet, I think he poses a greater threat to defenders than Firmino does, though Firmino right now is a better team player. Whilst he is still some way from his peak, he arrived and became our best player and top goalscorer in what was a difficult season to watch in terms of performances. If his 2nd season wasn't so stop-start for him in terms of winning over the manager, I think his success here so far could be described as a complete success. That 2nd season does weigh down his overall time here a little bit, with his first season and this season currently being very strong.
  14. Feb 8, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    If we rule out the "one great season" players my list from the beginning of the Fergie era to the present day would include: De Gea, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Valencia (despite having a couple of not so good seasons he's racked up enough very good seasons to make this list) Ronaldo, Van Der Sar, Rio, Ruud, Cantona, Keane, Irwin, Shmeicel.... hmmm... struggling now....
  15. Feb 8, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Zlatan if he wasn't injured and could finish the season otherwise it's Van Persie.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

I'm kind of waiting to the end of the season to see if he belongs in this category. Which is, tbf, very inconsistent of me seeing as I've already given Salah the nod in the OP.
  17. Feb 8, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Pogba...
  18. Feb 8, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Matic? He has been great for the most part, this season. He has been overplayed and suffered because of it. That is on Mourinho, not Matic. He has done his job most of the time.
  19. Feb 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Recently, more so. But under the other managers his headers won was half and tackles won was less than. Not great for either of his jobs really. His headers won under Jose have risen greatly, guessing because we attack more (hoofball style) but his successful tackles have dropped greatly too.

I've come to terms with people suggesting he's done alright, because if he'd played like he has under Jose the entire time I'd partly agree. But he was pretty terrible for a good while. Certainly no unequivocal success.
  20. Feb 8, 2018

Fergus' son Gets very easily confused

The usual over-rating of opposition players and under-rating of ours by the usual suspects.
  21. Feb 8, 2018

Bastian Full Member

David de Gea is probably the last one where there are no questions with his ability, his suitability or performances, and not just a season or two.
  22. Feb 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

RVP.
  23. Feb 8, 2018

Shiva87 Full Member

Pogba - instantly improved the team and made us top 4 material + title challengers. We ended up 6th but won the Europa League. This season, we've been abject whenever we have played without him.

RVP - Unequivocal success for 1 season.

Romero - Best signing for a back up goalkeeper. Cost nothing if I remember. Won the Europa League.

If this was a larger 'transfer' question, selling Rooney has been definitely the most successful transfer in the last 10 years.
  24. Feb 8, 2018

Think he also had a decent spell under Van Gaal. I’m no fan, and have no issues if he decides not to renew, but I have ultimately come to terms with him being here and having his ‘uses’.
  25. Feb 8, 2018

SteveTheRed Full Member

I think Zlatan last season fits into this category. He was a world class striker, who performed everywhere he went. We picked up on a free and there were definitely questions asked before he played "will he be able to perform in the premier league?" but after his first game he shut everyone up.
  26. Feb 8, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Has to be De Gea surely?

I haven't read through the thread entirely but just looking at the names mentioned

RVP one season wonder
    Valencia a winger signed to replace Ronaldo now playing at RB
    Zlatan whilst having an impressive individual season contributed to us not scoring as many goals as we should have/effected our general attacking play/another one season wonder

De Gea is the only one who was bloody good (bar the odd mistake) when he came through the door and has now progressed to being the best in the world. If this question came in a couple of years time I would hope Pogba would be the answer though
  27. Feb 8, 2018

Fergie 7ime New Member

Ha, well even if he doesn't score a single goal until the end of the season, he still got to 21.. Not too shabby for a wide player.
  28. Feb 8, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Pogue is asking which player is there zero debate about. Which player is 100% deemed a success with no detractors, no question marks.

For me that answer surely has to be David de Gea.

Van Persie was a one season wonder, and for me it was a good signing but a very short term one. If that is considered to be sufficient, then fine he counts too.

Going back before that, Valencia was an overall success though not a 100% one for me as he has generally always been subject to debate, Tevez was great for one season but then question marks over his second. Carrick has overall been a successful signing but again has always been a player subject to debate about is he underrated/overrated.

De Gea is the best signing since Vidic/Evra - both of whom are nailed on successes over which there is zero question marks. Considering that is almost a 12 year time frame, it is not good enough on our part to have such few nailed on successes in that time frame.
  29. Feb 8, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    DeGea
  30. Feb 8, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

He beat Olympiakos single handed in the home leg in the Moyes season. That aside, I agree. He was understandably pissed off under Moyes, whose “no nonsense” training did him no favours, and sulked under LvG who didn’t give him the preferential treatment he was expecting. LvG was right; at the time Rooney was the better performer.

His defending at set pieces stayed great to the end though, and has been sorely missed.
  31. Feb 8, 2018

Going slightly off-topic but people are getting far too carried away with this Matic being played into the ground stuff.

So far this season he's made 33 appearances. The same number as Fernandinho. Firminho and Hazard are on 34. Kevin De Bruyne has racked up 35 apperances. Kante and Alli are on 32. Important players who manage to avoid injuries tend to play a lot of football. That's just the way these things go. Matic has played a lot this season but we should probably stop talking about him as though he's been stitching up Nike jerseys in a sweat shop.
  32. Feb 8, 2018

Luciano Venturini New Member

Rooney, Ronaldo, Valencia, RVP, DDG, Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand and Carrick all spring to mind as obvious answers to this.
  33. Feb 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:lol:

I don't think he's been overplayed per se, the only issue is that he has to do A LOT of work when he is paired with Pogba in a midfield two.
  34. Feb 8, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

RVP-De Gea-Valencia-Carrick is our recent list of unquestionable successes as far as I'm concerned.

Zlatan is maybe in the equation as he owned last season in a similar way to RVP but obviously gave us less.

Pogba will hopefully be our next one, and I think Matic is on his way to being the one after; just a real no-nonsense signing who slotted straight into our starting XI. Sanchez will hopefully be the one after that :devil:
  35. Feb 8, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Why have not many people have mentioned Zlatan? Signed on free albeit on huge wages and was a crucial reason why we finished with two trophies. I reckon in next two or three years we would look at Bailly and Pogba as two incredible successes.
  36. Feb 8, 2018

Laurentiu amt New Member

aaaaa, Wayne? Hello?
  37. Feb 8, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Pogba.

He really is that good and it shouldn’t be held against him that he’s been often mismanaged in big games. Without him the last 18 months would have made the Moyes era look great.

Our most important player by far.
  38. Feb 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

There were doubts before him joining us about his age and ability to adapt to the league and during his tenure here there were back and forth discussions about him and his finishing..etc. IMO he has been a success here and did his role well but can see some disagreeing.

RVP is my choice because the only doubt about him was his injury record but otherwise he was nailed to succeed here once we signed him.
  39. Feb 8, 2018

midnightmare Full Member

Pogba already is to my mind and Bailly + Martial will be there soon (same for Sanchez I think). Matic for certain as some have pointed out. Not going back further than that. Feel we tend to be over-critical of our own specially given the absence of silverware.
  40. Feb 8, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Matic is 30 in 6 months, not 23, 24 and 25 like the ones you have named.

He has at times been the only player in midfield this seasonc what with Pogba lacking defensive contribution and pushing up a lot.

Firmino, Alli and Hazard have less work to do then Matic. They have/ the reliance of Coutinho, Salah, Kane, Eriksen to rely on. Hazard doesn’t run around a lot unless he is dribbling with the ball.

There have been times this season where Uniteds midfield was over ran which means reliance on Matic.