Our last unequivocal, no questions asked, 100% successful signing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

Turnip Full Member

I think the only questionable signing Jose has made has been Lindelof personally. I'd like to see more of him, I can't see why we've bought a £30m defender who isn't ahead of the chuckle brothers in the pecking order. And maybe re-signing Zlatan, but that's still very understandable. Also it's obviously too early to tell with Alexis, but I don't think many people are too worried about his ability.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Mhki?
  3. Feb 8, 2018

Turnip Full Member

Good point, forgot about him. There was a lot of stories at the time suggesting he wasn't actually sanctioned by Jose, hence it took him ages to get into the team, so could have been one dragging from LvG that Ed went through with anyway.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

BusbyMalone Full Member

Well considering you do have Salah in there then Ibra has to be put in. He will probably go down as a one season wonder here - but what a season! Considering Salah has been an "unequivocal" success for the sum total of six months then Ibra will definitely be the most recent one.
  5. Feb 8, 2018

Kag Full Member

Some people would do well to realise the difference between being a successful signing and going through bad patches of form.

Valencia being poor for a period of time doesn't make him anything other than the resounding successful signing he has been. He's played hundreds of games for feck sake.
  6. Feb 8, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member Scouse Lover

Surely it's Zlatan, he was a free transfer and was incredible last season.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Fernandinho is 32 and is more than 3 years older than Matic. He has played nearly as many minutes and plays an even more physical style. Steroids though.

I do agree he's played too much though although the signs were there last season of a player on the wane. I actually really don't think he's nearly as good as people think and is still living off his initially impressive start, as unpopular an opinion as that may be.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

ghagua Full Member

RvP. He won us #20
  9. Feb 8, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Fernandinho is three years older than Matic and you have to be taking the piss if you’re seriously arguing that City/Liverpool players work less hard/cover less ground than anyone at United. We’re bottom of the league table in terms of distance covered/game ffs.

Finally, you could probably count the number of times we’ve been overrun in midfield this season on the fingers of one hand. We’re generally either in complete control or sitting deep and keeping compact. We’re about as efficient as it it gets in terms of conserving our energy. If all those other players can cope with that many games then Matic sure as shit can too. That said, the return of Carrick from injury will hopefully give Matic a few games off between now and the end of the season.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Sanchez. He's been man of the match in all 3 matches he's played for us.

Before that: Matic, Ibra, Pogba, Martial, Mata (if you look at his output), RVP. I'm omitting Bailly only because of his injury record. But I think in a few years he will easily make this list. Ditto to Lukaku, who seems to struggle occasionally now but I anticipate stabilizing soon.

Not all signings have to be sexy.
  11. Feb 8, 2018

Neuron Banned

Mkhitaryan. Swapped him for Sanchez, which is a huge success.
  12. Feb 8, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Some people still have him down as a “failed winger”. Bonkers.
  13. Feb 8, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

De Gea.

Martial and Bailly (at least) will be. Many others are not unequivocal.

It ain't a lot when you consider how many have been through the doors in the last few years.
  14. Feb 8, 2018

Or pushed through by Raiola as part of the Pogba/Ibra deals.
  15. Feb 8, 2018

711 Full Member Scout

Mmm. Crafty. I shall ruminate on this one for a bit.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Surprised nobody said Anderson, according to some on here he was well worth the €30m cause he scored a penalty for us. Tbf thanks to him the recession ended in England because his eating habits helped fund the economy.
  17. Feb 8, 2018

SteveW Full Member

He was phoning it in by the end to be fair. He had to be moved on.
  18. Feb 8, 2018

Andeva New Member

Supports:
    FK Haugesund
    Edwin van der Sar may be one of our best signing ever. One of the best goalkeepers in the world somehow played at Fullham, who were willing to part with him for small change. On top of that he stayed for several years performing top class goalkeeping, game in - game out. Always profesional, never a fuss.
    Goalkeeper was our contemprorary CM at the time and the last pice of the jigsaw to becoming the world class team we became.
    Only thing you could even consider bad about the deal was no transfer return when he retired.
  19. Feb 8, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Pogba.
  20. Feb 8, 2018

jem Full Member

What about De Gea?

Edit: and I just read the rest of the thread - sorry about that!
  21. Feb 8, 2018

jem Full Member

It's still too early to say it about Matic, although he's looked the part so far; Ibra is a likely yes, although it always came across as a bit of a band-aid solution; Pogba has in no way met the standard for me, considering the outlay and expectations; Martial is on his way, but the jury is still somewhat out (I'd say he's in Nani territory at the moment;) Mata is my favourite player ever, but I'm not sure he's reached the heights we'd hoped for, particularly when you consider his success at Chelsea.
  22. Feb 8, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

He was a reliable keeper, but I must admit that I didn’t see him as a spectacular one per se, and wasn’t quite as good as I sometimes hear, I think.

I also can’t help but automatically think of the clanger he dropped against West Brom in 2010 I think it was that cost us our 100% home record that season. We won every single PL game at Old Trafford except that one, which we drew 2-2 and he caught the ball then dropped it at the striker’s feet for a tap in.
  23. Feb 8, 2018

Bit harsh on Pogue, he's still here after all.
  24. Feb 8, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Many of you are saying Robin Van Persie, but he doesn't really pass the "100% successful" requirement in the thread title. Unless you want to pretend he was only here for his first season.

IMO we may have to look to DDG as the most recent unequivocal success. That's 7 years ago.
  25. Feb 8, 2018

Not having that. VDS was amazing. He didn't have to be spectacular because his reading of the game was so absurdly good.
  26. Feb 8, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

It's Pogba. No doubt about that.
  27. Feb 8, 2018

:lol: harsh but fair.
  28. Feb 8, 2018

Champagne Football Full Member

Hazard looked overrated in his first season.

Salah looked rubbish at Chelsea.

Firminho had a slow start.

Eriksen was considered overrated for a couple of seasons.

The same thing will happen here. Pogba for me will be considered the best midfielder in Europe next season. Lukaku can be our Drogba. All we're lacking is a Fabinho next season and for the likes of Lukaku(he's notorious for quiet first seasons)to settle a bit more and we're ready to take over. Next season we take over. I am certain of it. The great team of Ronaldo and Rooney was a laughing stock until suddenly it all clicked
  29. Feb 8, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

I think it's going to be hard for Pogba.

It is very unlikely for a United player to be fully appreciated, and treated as the best, until United are back amongst the very best teams in Europe. Such is the narrative. Only our keeper will get his dues, as there is a linked narrative that says the better our keeper is, the worse what we have in front of him is. Pushing our over reliance on our brilliant keeper is a way to say we are a bit rubbish.

The expectation of United is to be up there, and anything less is seen as a disappointment, and as a result, any imperfection of our players will be focused on, due to the need to create an explanation for our failure. This is why we get less praise in 2nd than teams in 4th or 5th, and they are also likely to have more players in any team of the season than us. Also, due to the need to criticise United, the positives of the side above us will be also magnified even more, so come end of the year, Ederson, who in his own right is a brilliant keeper, will likely be in the team of the year over De Gea, who has been better.

Pogba has had a good season, and if he picks back up after his disappointing last start, he still won’t be anywhere near anyone’s team of the season. The likes of Eriksen will more likely be seen as having had a better season, even if Spurs finish 5th. Just like Valencia was the best RB last season but got no credit. I can’t see a better LB than Young this year, but the same will apply.
  30. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

It seems like to be considered a success we are basing it off when we last won the league and because of that it excludes players like Fellaini, Mata, Herrara, Martial, Pogba, Bailley, Rojo and Blind who have all had their own success' with the club. One player who has been a great signing (other than his injury record) is Jones. I think he's a fantastic player and could very well end up being a United legend one day. He is easily the best defender in the league this year...
  31. Feb 8, 2018

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Easily the best defender in the league!!!
  32. Feb 8, 2018

Arbitrium Taking a year off

Matic has been criminally overlooked by so many. He has plugged a hole in a position we badly needed fixing. He’s one of the best in the league at the role. That’s success. People going way too far back for the sake of a discussion.
  33. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Agreed. It seems that almost every year we were looking for someone who could take Carrick's place and every year Carrick would still be in our first 11. Matic has finally been the one to hold that position down. Mind you, Carrick's health hasn't helped either but it would be interesting to see how we play with Carrick in our team this year. Personally, I have always rated him very highly and think that he would still do well if he can every get a game in...
  34. Feb 8, 2018

Andeva New Member

Supports:
    FK Haugesund
    EvdS was the kind of keeper you need at a top club. He maintained concentration behind a defence leaving him with little to do, but when he had to act, he was up for it. I actually feared DDG would become a worse keeper with less to do, but he seems to handle it well.
    Every player makes mistakes, and you could blame that draw purely on EvdS. But I don't think you'd be talking about even being close to a 100% record with Tim Howard still between the posts.
    I would also add that drawing at home to West Brom takes a whole team. In that game we had 9 shots on target, any one of them not going in could put blame on our strikers. Strikers are proactive and can leave defenders and gk defenceless, but even then you can't expect them to succeed every time.
    In the larger picture, what EvdS did to our team as a whole is what's important. He was exellent at organising the defence and launching counter-attacks, which was a part of what made our team back then so deadly. You couldn't attack it, and you couldn't defend against it.
  35. Feb 8, 2018

SteveW Full Member

He brought a calm to proceedings that hadn't been there for several years. You could feel the nerves and tension throughout the defence in the Carroll/Howard days. He was a truly outstanding signing.
  36. Feb 8, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

We should have signed someone younger and better for our style of play. I am not blaming Ibra but the manager. He did the best he could at his age with his style of play but we could have been league contenders with a better striker who would have settled his first year and been firing for us now
  37. Feb 8, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

selling Zlatan would have been better. I honestly don't get why we kept Zlatan over Rooney.
  38. Feb 8, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

Just in the current squad I'd say De Gea, Bailly, Valencia, Pogba, Sanchez and Martial. Lukaku, Matic, Young and a few others in the maybe category.
    Though there will always be people with weird views.
  39. Feb 8, 2018

That wasn’t an option. An immediate return to CL football was the priority and Zlatan’s experience and iron self-confidence was crucial. He was a great signing and cost us nothing.
  40. Feb 8, 2018

shabadu84 Mint? Berry?

Chicharito not getting much of a shout. Think he was a great signing who came to our rescue many, many times. He was obviously limited, yes, but he scored 50 goals in 117 matches under Fergie and helped us win two league titles.