Our last unequivocal, no questions asked, 100% successful signing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Zlatan is very obvious; he carried the team last season (literally in the League Cup and Europa League and mentally in the dressing room).

Zlatan was taken away unfairly; a fit and firing Zlatan would have taken this team to the next level. But he got a career ending injury so he is off to the MLS.
  2. Feb 8, 2018

IRELANDUNITED Full Member

Mata has been a great success here, people don't appreciate him enough
  3. Feb 8, 2018

Beagle New Member

If we're going back as far as Carrick, it's surprising no one has mentioned Vidic. Colossal signing. One of Fergie's best.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

IRELANDUNITED Full Member

I wouldn't put Firmino in that bracket tbh. He's good yes, very good even but will he be off to Madrid/Barca like Countino was and Salah will be? I doubt it.
  5. Feb 8, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

DDG.
  6. Feb 8, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

He had some pretty heavy wages. I would say Zlatan was a good signing but not a great one. RVP was a great signing.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

RedStarUnited Full Member

Firmino? A lot of their fans still don’t truly believe in him.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Fellaini.:D
  9. Feb 8, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think Romero has been a 100% successful signing, for what he is. In fact given his role in our EL run he probably performed above expectations.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Todd Full Member

I think some of you are being far too critical in what you'd consider a 'slam dunk' signing.

Off the top of my head, I'd say:

Alexis
    Matic
    Zlatan
    Bailly
    Pogba
    Martial
    De Gea
    Valencia
    Young

And that's just guys on the current squad. If you take everything into consideration, I don't think you can make much of a case against any of those guys not being good signings.

I think even Lukaku, in a few years, will be looked back on as being a good signing. If he bangs in 20 goals a year, we'll look at his price tag within the current transfer market and consider him money well spent.
  11. Feb 8, 2018

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I think this thread is making me think Bailly is our most overrated player. Injured for half of the time here, and when he was fit had some periods of very good form and some periods of poor form - apparently 100% succesfull signing by many people here.
  12. Feb 8, 2018

Shiva87 Full Member

Really? Zlatan isn't a big problem for us this season. Rooney had been for each season since Fergie's last. No one knew what to do with him. He was a superstar who just wasn't good enough for a top team anymore, but you couldn't bench him without the media going bat shit crazy.

His silent-ish transfer out of the club is one of Jose's top management moments for United.
  13. Feb 8, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Pogba is definitely a huge success...Its a pity that we aren't consistently playing a system that will get the best out of him...
  14. Feb 8, 2018

RedPed Full Member

If you're talking about return and impact on games. It has to be Ibrahimovic....100% unequivocal, no questions asked!
  15. Feb 8, 2018

Northstand Full Member

I know you said "would include...", but in saying "struggling now..." I'm assuming you've exhausted the list? I'd add a few more: Ince, Bruce, Pallister, Sharpe, Stam, Park Ji Sung, Sheringham and Solskjaer. I don't see how any of those should be contentious, personally.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

POF Full Member

Maybe Matic is arguable but surely there is no argument over Ibra. Jose inherited a squad with absolutely nothing up front. Ibra on a free was a huge signing. His performances were amazing but the signing of a top striker on a free also allowed the club to spend big on Pogba, Bailly and Mkhitaryan, all very influential players last season.
  17. Feb 8, 2018

NikSab Anthony Martial's #1 fan

Van Persie. We got him in his prime and won the league on his own.
  18. Feb 8, 2018

Sing you a song Full Member

Totally agree with Zlatan, so cruel that the injury cost him a place in UEFA cup final .
    Personally I thought RVP had a great first season then threw his toys out of the Pram and downed tools in the second season,really disappointed me in that spell so much so that I was happy when we moved him on.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Van Persie obviously. We got him to get our 20th league title and he delivered. We all knew he had just 1 or 2 seasons left at the top so it was no surprise that his level dropped after that one season.
  20. Feb 9, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

Fellaini was not brought to be a squad player
  21. Feb 9, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Yeah, Pobga is very good player but this thread is about successful signings with no questions at all. People still doubt Pogba here. That's why I didn't go for him.

If not, after RVP I would say Martial and Pogba.
  22. Feb 9, 2018

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

De Gea, easy. We signed the best goalie in the world for peanuts. He's been the best in the world for the last 3-4 years. Had he been around in our truly successful sides we'd have won even more and he'd be recognized as one of the best ever already.
  23. Feb 9, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

De Gea or RVP. Time will tell on some of Mourinhos signings though.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

berbatrick Full Member Scout

18 in 28 under Moyes, 10 in 29 in some weird roles in a weird LvG team. 22 in 48 the season after in Turkey, while we scored less goals than ever before.
  25. Feb 9, 2018

GM K Full Member

Considering the context of us needing to turn a corner, to get back on the path that takes us to where we have always belonged, to start a more positive post Fergie era, I will say Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Beyond what he brought to the pitch (and he brought a lot before getting injured), I think his super star status, his aura, his ego, his brand, the winning mentality he brought to the team was priceless. Rashford, Lingard and even Martial, despite the jersey saga, have all spoken about his positive influence in the dressing room. When Zlatan came, It seemed we began to have a sense of being back in the mix, being capable of attracting the very best. Rumours have it that his commitment to join United played a part in encouraging Pogba to push on with the already ongoing talks with United.
  26. Feb 9, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

Henrikh Mikhitaryan, won us the europa league I’m his first season then signed Sanchez for us in his second. Great signing for 24m. I know, I know...
  27. Feb 9, 2018

simplyared Full Member

If your saying 100% no questions asked my answer would be debatable considering the present status of the player. However I'm so sure he will be back soon, carry on where he left off and be a crucial player for us. A great buy:
    Eric Bailly
  28. Feb 9, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Heh
  29. Feb 9, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Bebe. We made him not homeless or something, right?
  30. Feb 9, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

You don’t pay £30m for squad players back when we bought Herrera and Fellaini. It’s just both haven’t been good enough. Whilst I liked Herrera’s character they haven’t exactly set the world alight on the pitch.

I think Matic has done well bar maybe two games this season (Huddersfield and Spurs both away).

Probably last year Bailly. Then De Gea but again it took him over a season to settle in.
  31. Feb 9, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Goal machine pure and simple.... I love players who can do one thing brilliantly.

Still missed that fecking penalty Vs Arsenal. :nono:
  32. Feb 9, 2018

F-Red Full Member

DDG
  33. Feb 10, 2018

parkthebuslads Full Member

The answer has to be RVP, hasn't it? A signing which arguably won us a title.
  34. Feb 10, 2018

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

I'd be tempted to say Romero, as there's not many second choice keepers around that's better than him. For a free transfer it has to go down as a great bit of business.
    For the first team I'd say De Gea more than van Persie as he's been one of the best players year in year out.
  35. Feb 10, 2018

Swift Football Banned

I agree. I throw Romero in that list too. RVP was brilliant and won us the league.
    When we were in complete disarray, Zlatan came and helped us in so many ways, I would say he was a massive hit.
  36. Feb 10, 2018

MoskvaRed Full Member

As of now, De Gea. It’s too early to form a view on Pogba, Matic, Bailly, Lukaku etc. As for RVP, one season of high quality followed by 2 seasons of ineffectiveness and then irrelevance is not enough to qualify.
  37. Feb 11, 2018

The Brown Bull Full Member

RVP
    De Gea
    Carrick

Jury still out on
    Pogba
    Lukaku
    Bailly
    Lindelof
    Alexis
  38. Feb 11, 2018

TwoSheds More sheds than you, probably

Pogba. He was bought to be our best midfielder and he is. And he's still getting better. Matic was also a great signing. Massive upgrade to our midfield. Think Sanchez will give us a great 2-3 years too.
  39. Feb 11, 2018

downunder red New Member

Totally agree with you. I'd even go further with Matic . He's a slam dunk 100% great signing. Can you imagine what our midfield would be like without him.
  40. Feb 12, 2018

Roberto420 New Member

Nonsense Van persie never missed a pen Vs Arsenal.