Our next 8 fixtures

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Raoul, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 14, 2017

TheRedHearted New Member

Also not over estimating football is important. And what i mean by that is how quickly things can change. Also if it came down to the wire and pep had to rest some of his starters for the champions league or the premier league I think he would rather have his best for the former.
  2. Dec 14, 2017

iKeano Full Member

City don’t look like slowing down at all. They’ve won a record breaking 15 consecutive league games in a row. They have such depth that if De Bruyne and Silva get injured they have the likes of Jesus and Aguero to tinker with.
    We, on the other hand, laboured past (only just past) Bournemouth at home and apparently our “depth” involved a late fitness test for Fellaini last night. 11 points apart now and I don’t see the gap closing.
    We are incomplete as you say, but José has spent a quarter of a billion and we’re still relying on the likes of Smalling, Young, Lingard, Fellaini... they wouldn’t get near that City team.
    Fully understand that we should remain positive, but I have the feeling things have slipped this past few months with phantom injuries (Bailley has been out for more games than he’s been available for this season already!) poor return on purchases (Lindelof, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku) & a manager that has gone from housewives favourite to David Moyes in the making. I fear the Glaziers will accept the CL qualification bonus each year and the odd cup victory... we’re teetering on Arsenal/Liverpool territory if the mediocrity becomes the norm.
    Yes we’re second, three trophies last season and I might sound like a spoiled child (we all were under Fergie!) but I genuinely think that was us conceding the league on Sunday. I hope I’m proved wrong, but I don’t see a big signing in Jan,and I don’t see City wobbling.
    For every pessimist like me, we need an optimist like you though, so keep the faith and in the meantime we’ll both keep the red flag flying high!
  3. Dec 14, 2017

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    Morinho is David moyes in the making?
    Lukaku a poor return?

You on drugs? Were 2th in the league. 2th best offense, tied for best defense. In the CL knockouts with a fine draw. People are out of their minds.
    How did this board react to the 6-1 smashing City gave us at OT?

We are trailing to a City side that does something even Fergies best sides couldnt do. Yeah were not playing the best football, but were winning. And weve playessome darn good games as well.

People react like were fighting relegation. What should Liverpool and Arsenal fans say than? They just draw with 2 relegation fighting teams. What should Chelsea fans say? They lost to fecking Crystal Palace and Westham! And have Barcelona to go againts ib the CL knockouts!

Yeah we won't be champions this year probably. Doesnt make it a bad season. It could still be one, but right now were on track to a great season. Great.
  4. Dec 14, 2017

iKeano Full Member

"I say against Bournemouth we have 50% chance to win". Jose Mourinho, pre-Bournemouth press conference. Moyse-esque.

Lukaku, £75m - 9 league goals
    Wayne Rooney, free - 9 league goals

Pretty sure Rooney didn't set Liverpool up for two goals in their derby last week either.

My discussion isn't about being 2nd in the league, it's about having conceeded the league, to City, at Old Trafford, in December. It's about the squad not having enough depth and too much dead weight despite significant investment.
    I also don't care about the other teams, or what their fans are thinking. We're in the CL with some serious heavyweights and we've got a decent chance against Sevilla, but after that the sharks will circle - including City.

Finishing top 4, qualifying for the CL might be a great season in your eyes, but we're not Arsenal.
  5. Dec 14, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Do you understand we finished 7th,4th,5th and 6th since sir Alex. It's been ages since we have been in 2nd place for so long. Yes it is not something to celebrate but it is also not something to call us Arsenal in making or jose as moyes. It is an idiotic statement.
  6. Dec 14, 2017

iKeano Full Member

Fully aware - hence my frustration at the league being over in December.
    I didn't call us Arsenal, I clearly said "we're not Arsenal".

..but yeah, go you with the idiotic statement.
  7. Dec 14, 2017

TRD New Member

Bournemouth---> Already won

West Brom (a)----> They are not that good so I can see a win

Leicester (a)----> Playing well recently so a draw or win by 1 goal will be good result

Burnley----> Easy win

Southampton----> We can have a repeat of Bournemouth match so 1-0 win

Everton (a)---> Draw with Rooney scoring the equalizer

Stoke---> Should be a routine win.

Burnley (a)---> We will dominate the game but Burnley might snatch a point.
  8. Dec 14, 2017

SER19 Full Member

In the hugely unlikely event we won them all then I think at least there'd be a glimmer, however Leicester and Everton will be completely different games to what they would have been a month ago. Even West Brom.

City have had a lovely fall of the fixtures this year in terms of out of form teams, or injured and suspended key players. Alserweireld missing this weekend will be key for spurs.
  9. Dec 14, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

We can't really extrapolate the current forms of the likes of Leicester and Everton and presume they will play at that level by the time they face us. All things said, this is about as straightforward a schedule as we could have to take care of our own business. If at the end of the 8 fixtures we are within single digits then that's a good start for the final stretch.
  10. Dec 14, 2017

LoneStar Full Member

Stop looking at the set of fixtures and take it one game at a time. We don't face any top 6 teams for a while, but you can never say that we will win all of these games. Pogba returning and Ibra back to full fitness would be a huge plus. I just hope Jose won't run Matic to the ground during these fixtures. We have fairly good depth in all areas, assuming that Herrera gets his shite together.
  11. Dec 14, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Clearly you are so frustrated so much that you didnt even bother to read my post properly I said Arsenal in making (which is what you were suggesting when you said "we’re teetering on Arsenal/Liverpool territory if the mediocrity becomes the norm".) You have already made up your mind that mediocrity could become a norm without any conclusion. We are 2nd and not 4th/5th so your sentence did look idiotic.
  12. Dec 14, 2017

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

If those tough away games with Leicester, Everton and Burnley we were facing 3 at the back teams, I would be much more confident, Mourinho would deploy the deadly 3-4-1-2 and we would deal with them like Watford or Arsenal away.. But I think they don't, so…
  13. Dec 14, 2017

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    Jose knows the league better than anyone else right now probably, and knows there is no such thing a sure win in this league. and want him to be disrespectful to his opponents and say "yeah we are going to thrash them"?

Lukaku - 75 million - 9 league goals
    Neymar - 222 million - 9 league goals(in a away easier league)

Not that I'm comparing Lukaku with Nymar, but just comes to show you how your comparison is not related to anything. Lukaku has been in poor form latley but he has given us tons of points in the beggining of the season, and gave you 3 more yesterday. A rougt patch doesnt make him a poor buy for god sakes.

Finisinh 2nd after 4 years of finishing 4th or lower(mostly lower) is progress. and progress is all that matters right now. City is historically good and unmatched by any team in history. Not Arsenal's invicibles, and not even by Fergi's greatest sides. None of them did what they are doing right now. Loosing at Old Trafford is never fun, especially when it's againts City and in a title race, but it happens. We lost 6-1 at home with Fergie incharge.

If you wanna come here and say that every year that we don't win the title we are a failure, than you are going to spend a lot of years dissappointed. especially in today's league, where it seems like it's nearly impossible to win 2 straight titles, not to mention 3 or more.
  14. Dec 14, 2017

Fluctuation0161 Full Member

Leicester stand out for me. They're starting to find some form. Mahrez especially.
    Everton under Big Sam are also looking a much more challenging team. Still all winnable but Leicester will be the litmus test for me. Surviving to win one more game without Pogba is the next test!
  15. Dec 14, 2017

ryan_forlan Gullible

We will make top 4 this season.
    We should spend the rest of the season, in the premier league, trying to develop certain players as quality starters for next season.
    For that we need confident and quality football and good performances.
    De Gea, Bailly, Jones, Pogba, Matic are fine.
    Lukaku, Martial, Shaw(back in the list due to recent games).
    If the 8 players mentioned above, have a good season, then with three new signings (a RB, RW and CAM/CM) we should be in a better position to give City a fight next year.
    Perreira, Rashford, Young, Valencia, Herrera, Fellaini.....are good bench options.
    I think Mou, should make us play confident football and give Martial, Lukaku and Shaw the chances and an environment(as in the playing style we adopt) to settle in the team and play well.

De Gea, quality RB, Bailly, Jones, Shaw, Matic, Pogba, Ozil, Martial, Lukaku, Griezmann/Sanchez is a good team, that can give City a run for their money next year.
  16. Dec 14, 2017

Zlaatan Full Member

That's an extremely poor comparison... You make it sound like the only thing we get for that £75mil fee is less than half a season worth of goals.
  17. Dec 15, 2017

iKeano Full Member

Lukaku and Rooney are playing in the same league against the same teams, having scored the same amount of league goals. Neymar plays in a different country. The comparison stands.

Aaahh... thanks for getting into my head and intecepting what I was suggesting. Stick to the ice-hockey mate, you'll never be a shrink.

To date, it is. I've said it's a poor return, which - to date - it is.
    In business, if you spend £75m on something that - up to now - has given equal return as something you gave away for free to a competator during the same trading window, then yes... it's a poor return and an extremely valid comparison actually.
  18. Dec 15, 2017

RobinHood New Member

You must be some kind of speculator :rolleyes:. There's no way anyone has such short-term intentions/analysis of a player bought for that much money.

It's called an investment. I want to see how the lad fares during a full season in the Premier League. And I'm willing to wait for that. You clearly aren't.
  19. Dec 15, 2017

iKeano Full Member

Jesus wept.... TO DATE*, I've said it's a poor return TO DATE*!
    Being willing to wait on it is fine, but while he's giving City two goals in the derby... he's entitled to some critiscism.
    He started well and the goals will come back - BUT, for now - to date*, given that he's got the same amount of league goals as a 32 year old underperformer we got rid of in the summer , it can be seen as a poor return. TO DATE*.

* from then until now. Not the future. From purchase of product, to current time of post.

Getting back to OP, our next 8 fixtures are now our next 7 and there are definitely some slippery eels in among them.
  20. Dec 15, 2017

Irish Jet Full Member

My biggest hope for this season is that we finish closer to City than Chelsea or whoever finished third. I don't expect that to happen as I really do think City are just that much better than everyone else.

These are a good run of games over a time we're traditionally strong but I don't think we've looked good enough to put this kind of run together. I'd expect at least 4/5 points dropped away from home. The quality of our forwards just isn't good enough to consistently overwhelm the smaller sides like we need to.
  21. Dec 15, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Wow such a well thought reply. I have no interest in getting to your head, just quoted your own statement "we’re teetering on Arsenal/Liverpool territory if the mediocrity becomes the norm". Maybe from next time stop writing stupid things.

Between Ice-hockey is not that bad, try following it.
  22. Dec 15, 2017

Fridge chutney Requested ban until 09/04/2018

His goals scored might be 9, but goals given is 2. That City performance really disappointed and irritated me. He was bad and needs to improve against the top clubs. Rooney plays that match and we don't lose like we did.
  23. Dec 15, 2017

wolvored Full Member

We should be able to win them all but you know there will be a banana skin or two. The league's gone but we still need to aim for runners up. I reckon we will get 19 points
  24. Dec 15, 2017

Zlaatan Full Member

In business, you don't calculate your return on a £75mil, 5 year contract after 5 months.

We didn't pay £75mil for 5 months worth of goals so I don't get why we should be comparing the cost between the players? There's a ton of other factors included in that £75mil that goes well beyond how many goals he's scored so far, otherwise you could have said before the season started that it was the worst £75mil ever spent because we've gotten literally nothing in return and you would have made the same point as you have now.

FWIW, I agree that he's been very poor in the last couple of months.
  25. Dec 15, 2017

TimScoreboard Full Member

Supports:
    Palermo
    Every game is now a must win and has been for the last couple of weeks
  26. Dec 15, 2017

The Outsider Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Yes Leicester are improving and so far impressed by Puel too.
    Everton I think are improving under Big Sam though think they got lucky against Liverpool, they should have been out of sight before Everton scored. The only but is if they have a historical voodoo over you like Chelsea did with Spurs for about 16 seasons.
  27. Dec 15, 2017

lysglimt Full Member

All winable yes - but Leicester, Everton and Burnley away are tough matches. If we pick up 5-6 Points from those matches, I will be satisfied
  28. Dec 17, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

Two down six to go. With Pogba now.
  29. Dec 17, 2017

ClosetDevil Full Member

@Invictus , how is this an acceptable post?
  30. Dec 17, 2017

ClosetDevil Full Member

Will definitely be a massive boost. His creativity and drive will definitely help during the busy period.
  31. Dec 17, 2017

AgentP Full Member

Crystal Palace thrashed Leicester at their home. We should be more than capable of winning this. Pogba is back as well.
  32. Dec 17, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    We can't pick 5 points from 2 matches so I'm guessing you want them to win both.
  33. Dec 17, 2017

Judas Open to offers

Fancy us to win all these games, and still be comfortably behind City. Strange season isn't it, we've got the form of champions, yet we're way off the pace.
  34. Dec 17, 2017

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

I agree. Better this than us drop points and then city do too and we could have closed the gap but didn't.
  35. Dec 17, 2017

cyberman Full Member

We have a genuine chance to be sitting here in a months time with a record of 13 wins in 14 games.
    15 in 16 if we count the cup games.
  36. Dec 17, 2017

haram Full Member

Tbh, we should be winning every game apart from maybe Spurs and City away. I genuinely think we are good enough.
  37. Dec 17, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Dunno Everton away is going to be very tough especially coming at the time it is (lot of other fixtures)
  38. Dec 17, 2017

cyberman Full Member

@charlenefan
    I actually think the busy period helps us, the smaller squads can't rotate.
    I love the way our Christmas fixtures have fallen for us.
  39. Dec 18, 2017

Jose Jaime Eskauriatza New Member

Exciting... 18 more points would be a great Christmas gift! Let's hope we enjoy them one by one like Ferero Roches...
  40. Dec 18, 2017

Glideman New Member

Bournemouth---> W
    West Brom (a)----> W
    Leicester (a)---->
    Burnley---->
    Southampton---->
    Everton (a)--->
    Stoke--->
    Burnley (a)--->