Our remaining 11 PL games.

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Di Maria's angel, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Just realised that 8 of these are against top 10 sides. 5 of which are away from home. Not sure if thread worthy, but, its going to be one hell of a ride to get to top 4.

Our current top 10 record:

PL 10; W 3; D 5; L 2; PTS 14; GF 9; GA 9.

Can we make it?
  2. Mar 20, 2017

Lentwood Full Member

I don't necessarily see it as a negative. We have dropped 10pts in home games against West Ham, Stoke, Burnley, Bournemouth and Hull so not like we can claim any game is a gimme

It seems to suit us when teams play a little bit more expansively as our away record is really good.

Also, playing teams around/above us means it remains in our hands. If we go to The Emirates/White Hart Lane at the end of the season knowing a win would mean top 4 then I would take that now if offered
  3. Mar 20, 2017

GM K Full Member

It does look tough but it has to be contextualized.

Some of the other top four contenders are also still playing top 10 teams plus, a team like Liverpool has had problems only with the 'weaker' sides so on paper, even though Liverpool's fixtures might look easier, it might eventually turn out bad for them. Again, this all depends on how the different teams show up on the days, referee decisions, injuries, etc.

It's not so easy to predict. United might suddenly turn up in the last 11 games or some how grind out results even against the big boys.But the team might also get steam rolled. Who knows?
  4. Mar 20, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

33 pts up for grabs.
    Let's goooooooooooooooooooooo for it!!!!!
  5. Mar 20, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

Our next three games are crucial since they are all winnable. Home games vs West Brom and Everton followed by away to Sunderland all in one week after the international break (much deserved rest to most of our players). Get those three in the bag and then we'll have enough momentum to take us through the rest of the games. All other clubs have relatively tougher fixtures in the same period so it's upto us to capitalize on it.
  6. Mar 20, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Not too worried about all the top 10 fixtures. It's the teams scrapping for relegation that tend to pull off the most upsets at the business end of the season. Teams higher up the table can go into holiday mode. Obviously matches against CL contenders will be tough but an opportunity for big gains in points.
  7. Mar 20, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Yeah, it's all about taking it on stages. One game at the time, one week at the time. Trying to predict how 11 games will pan out is not an easy task even for Nostradamus.
    I was saying in a previous thread about it and pointed out how Bournemouth is a massive game.
    Same here, The Baggies and then Everton - both home games. Massive. For some reason when we are on the front foot and when we are expected to cruise turns into banana skin. It's something that really makes me wonder. When we play attractive attacking football we struggle to get a win vs when we play with a negative ugly style.
    Good news is not all of our players are called to their national teams, so that will give them enough time off to recharge both physically and mentally.
    It is the business end so I am expecting to turn up a gear. It's a must. But firstly we need to get 9 out of 9 from the first 3 games.
  8. Mar 20, 2017

Strachans Cigar Full Member

Just go for it & we've got the EL as a safety net if it doesn't work out.

Also take solace in the fact that should they qualify, CL football will mean the Scousers will be nowhere near the League title next season. 28 years, YSB.
  9. Mar 20, 2017

harms Full Member

I find it impossible to predict, we're too inconsistent. Potentially we can match all of them (considering that Chelsea side probably won't be seriously motivated at that point). And I really think that, with Ibra's experience, we'll make it to the top 4. We hardly played with all of our best players being in form and the best managers usually plan for a team's physical peak to be in April/May; Ibra, Pogba and Herrera will get some rest, and Micky wasn't really involved in our season so far, so we have the internal resources to step up.

But I won't be too surprised to see us completely bottle it.
  10. Mar 20, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

There was a thing on Full Time Devils that said this cliche is actually incorrect. Something about how the bottom teams actually amass less points in the last 11 games of the season than they did for the average of the rest of the season. The same apparently is true for the top teams. Completely counter-intuitively, according to this post from I forget who, it is only the teams in the middle "with nothing to play for" that score more points at the end of the season, on average, than they did for the rest of the season.

Its here from 5 minutes BTW

11. Mar 20, 2017

Whoah. That's bizarre. I wonder if it's because one or two of the bottom teams go on a great (and memorable) run at the end, while the rest of them collapse completely? The top teams tailing off fits with the "holiday" theory because you'll get strange points dropped after title or CL places are locked down. Middle teams finishing strongly makes no sense at all though...
  12. Mar 20, 2017

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    Hmm. How has this been calculated?

If they took the teams that finished in the bottom 5 of that season, and then looked at how many points they got in the last 10 games, in stands to reason they'll have done poorly because they ended up in the bottom 5.

Needs citation.

Edit - games not days
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. Mar 20, 2017

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
    I might be on my own with this and being very defeatist but i've pinned my CL hopes firmly on winning the Europa rather than finishing top 4. The teams around us in the league have no european football to worry about, while we would have Europa games sandwiched either side of the Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs games not to mention some other challenging League fixtures we have in addition to this.

I'm looking at it like this. If we can't get past Anderlecht/Celta Vigo/Lyon etc to win the Europa League then we don't deserve Champions League football.
  14. Mar 20, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

We will need Arsenal and Liverpool to drop a lot of points against sides they should beat. If that happens, we have a chance.
  15. Mar 20, 2017

GBBQ Full Member

I think the most important thing is that Mourinho has made us hard to beat. if we can get the attack fired up for the remaining fixtures then I think we should get top 4.

I'm not sure that the belief is that all sides fighting relegation will suddenly play well, its that its more likely that 1 or 2 will raise their game for one game only and get a shock result (a la West ham in May 2007 or Wigan in April 2012, 2 games that on paper are points in the bag). Their points per game probably wont look much different as their still likely to struggle against most teams but we've seen loads of times where they raise their game briefly against top opposition.
  16. Mar 20, 2017

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority"

Same
  17. Mar 20, 2017

cyberman Full Member

I honestly think I'm the only poster looking forward to these games. We're shit hot away from home, ever since that draw away to Everton we have won every away league game bar Stoke and even that was a comedy of errors on our behalf.
    I have no fear of City or Arsenal at all, those are the teams that have so much to exploit for a top coach like Mourinho.
  18. Mar 20, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Agreed, as United, Liverpool and Arsenal have shown this season, nothing is a given.

I can't even remember the last time we lost a league game so I'm confident.
  19. Mar 20, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

I expect us to finish fifth in the league, simply because the team has started to develop the mental fortitude of Arsenal. Every time this season we've aimed for top 4, we've slipped up. I hope I'm wrong, I hope we see the men from the boys. On paper it's very very do-able. We play Everton, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, these teams will pose a challenge. If we are as good as we think we are, we need to aim to win each of these games. Our cup game against Chelsea showed great heart, i want to see it in all our remaining matches and it will translate into points.
  20. Mar 20, 2017

Except yesterday, when we took our chance despite a nightmare week with no rest plus plenty of injuries and suspensions.
  21. Mar 20, 2017

Very good point!
  22. Mar 20, 2017

That's flawed logic though. Cup competitions are a crap shoot. You're only ever one bad day (or refereeing howler) away from being out on your ear. Whether or not you're a better side than the team that bests you on the day. On the other hand, I think it's completely reasonable to say that if we can't finish in the top 4 then we don't deserve CL football.
  23. Mar 20, 2017

Siorac Full Member

Yeah, this. Getting past the likes of Anderlecht seems a lot easier than beating Arsenal, Spurs or City away. At this point we have to win the Europa League, no excuses are acceptable. On paper, we are by far the best team left in the competition which is unfortunately clearly not true of the Premier League.
  24. Mar 20, 2017

Siorac Full Member

That is true about the final - anything can happen in those - but over two legs we should beat all those sides left in the competition.

It's completely reasonable to say we don't deserve CL football if we don't finish in the top 4 but the point is that getting top 4 looks a far more daunting task than winning the EL.
  25. Mar 20, 2017

Yep point taken, it might be flawed but its still the way i'm looking at it. I think with the strain the amount of additional games the Europa has provided if we finish outside the top 4 but won the competition we can hold our heads up high.
  26. Mar 20, 2017

2 Man Midfield Modern Woman (Dumper!)

The other way to look at it is as a chance to take points off the teams above us and stop them getting points at the same time. I think I'd rather that than have it out of our hands while the pressure was on us every week to keep up, especially seeing as we tend to suck at beating the lower teams.
  27. Mar 20, 2017

davidmichael Full Member

Exactly this, they are 3 games that we should look at as 9 points as they should be comfortable wins and it's the momentum and confidence that builds with those 3 wins as it'd be 4 wins on the spin including yesterday's result.

After those 3 games we should be injury free unless we pick up any over the next few weeks and squad wise I think we're arguably the strongest in the league, I'd be happy with away draws with Spurs and City and with how Arsenal are struggling I'd expect at least a draw so it'll be close.
  28. Mar 20, 2017

Dennis Viollet New Member

why you are so obsessed with the top 4? we must win the EL, if the problem is to reach CL spot next year
  29. Mar 20, 2017

ocprodigy Full Member

I don't see why everyone is so worried about this. We had to play these fixtures at some point during the season, who cares if it's near the end?

Also everyone is acting like we've already lost. We live for these big games, I say bring it on. If we can't get enough points, we don't deserve Champions League next season. Simple as that.
  30. Mar 20, 2017

We'll just do both.

Since 1st November we've picked up:

• 3 more points than City in 1 less game
    • 4 more points than Liverpool in 2 less games
    • 10 more points than Arsenal in the same amount of games

Hell, if we win our Southampton game in hand we're even better than Spurs since 1-nov. So basically it's the other teams that have to improve if they want to beat us to a fourth placed finish.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  31. Mar 20, 2017

minoo-utd New Member

We are lucky to be in a competition ( E.L ) that most of the remaining teams we got to face to be crowned champions are almost lower than us in the terms of performance and quality, I think a manager like Jose realizes that and wants to win it, for me it's an easier and more glorious gate to get a C.L spot next season although it's tricky, but players need to up their standards and prove they deserve a C.L football. IMO the main focus should be on this competition.
  32. Mar 20, 2017

TheBiggest Full Member

If - and it's a big IF - we win all three of those games, we'll only need 15-points from the remaining 8 games to finish Top Four, judging by my estimations.
  33. Mar 20, 2017

TheBiggest Full Member

So, Spurs don't deserve CL football?
  34. Mar 20, 2017

Morpheus 7 Full Member

It's 11 games in the league compared to the five to win the El. It's much more realistic to win the EL now in my opinion. Looking at how fatigued we are getting it's going to be tough. Naturally I want the top four, it's just so many games with El. I would like to be in the mix at the end and we can do it but it's going to be hard. There is not much room for error dropping anymore points now. Look at the this way, are Anderlecht and possible opposition left more difficult than are premier league opposition? City, Spurs, Southampton Arsenal away/ Chelsea, Everton home ect.. Then the teams that are fighting to stay in the division. Anyone can win a final in a one off game but the draw has been great in the last round. It's going to exciting for sure.
  35. Mar 20, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

Yes, 24 points should be good enough to get us top 4. 75 points overall should be our target.
  36. Mar 20, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Its quite literally games 4-10 that have left us in a slightly bad position. Losses to City, Watford and Chelsea, Draws to Liverpool, Burnley and Stoke. And one win. 6 points in 7 games.
  37. Mar 20, 2017

We were the slow starters in the top part of the league for sure, and we had so much ground to claw back due to other teams having cracking starts (City, Liverpool).
  38. Mar 20, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

Because look what happened to Liverpool last season. They lost in the EL final and ended up with nothing in the end. It's too risky to leave the outcome of our season to just one game (the finals). We should try to do both and I think it's quite possible for us to get into top 4 as well as win the EL. This confidence comes from my belief that Liverpool and Arsenal will continue to screw up till the last game just like we will. I expect the top 4 race to go even till the last PL game of the season.
  39. Mar 20, 2017

Of course they do, based on their likely league finish
  40. Mar 20, 2017

SaradM New Member

All futuristic analyses are good for discussion purpose only. We need to take one game at a time and not a bunch together. Simply because even if EL is priority we would not be spared if we lost games against our fierce rivals (Pool, Citeh and Gunners).

So yeah one game at a time.