Our remaining 11 PL games.

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Di Maria's angel, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017

Fully Fledged Full Member

City, Arsenal and Spurs all away in a 16 day period is gonna be brutal. Need as many points on the board as possible before then. Build up the momentum to carry us through those fixtures.
  2. Mar 20, 2017

ash_86 Full Member

I think we should give up on the league and concentrate on EL. With none of our rivals playing midweek, its safe to say that we have very very tough chance of getting into top4. If we don't finish in top 4, i would prefer we finish 7th or 8th and win EL. Even if we fail to win the EL, then we could do a chelsea next time with just PL in hand.
  3. Mar 20, 2017

ManUnitedCanuck Full Member

We really need the full 9 points from our next 3 matches to put us in a good situation to continue to fight for top 4.

After that I think we'll need about 14 points from our remaining 8 matches, which will get us to 75 points...hopefully that is enough to get us into the top 4. Will be tough, but it's possible. We don't lose much it's just far too many draws
  4. Mar 20, 2017

Acquire Me Full Member

We will finish 2nd.
  5. Mar 20, 2017

PoTMS Full Member

We can't. We will definitely play European football next season as we've won the League Cup.
  6. Mar 20, 2017

3KDré Full Member

We will be fine, our squad is good. Even better when you actually use Schweinsteiger, Blind and TFM (I understand that the first two are injured but you get my point.
  7. Mar 20, 2017

El Zoido Full Member

One game at a time/every game's a cup final, etc. at this point. I think we're going to just miss out. The lads are starting to look tired after a long season, hopefully the international break will help.
  8. Mar 20, 2017

Raoul Admin

Its hard to say as we can't predict all the variables this far out. We could have injuries that hurt us, or we couldn't but our top opposition may. We may be in very good form, or maybe just in adequate form as we are now. Its too far into the future to predict.
  9. Mar 20, 2017

ash_86 Full Member

Is that the rule? I never knew that.
  10. Mar 20, 2017

Ronaldo's Mum Eh? Ronaldo is shite

Could our match against Arsenal be moved away if we make the semis of Europa league?

Seeing as our match against arsenal is on may 6th and the 4th would be the Europa league semi..
  11. Mar 20, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Yup winners of the league cup automatically qualify for the qualifying stages me thinks.
  12. Mar 20, 2017

PoTMS Full Member

Yep, it'd most likely be moved regardless of EL participation due to TV schedules. It will most likely be played on Sunday 7th May late kickoff - you'll know officially when Sky/BT confirm their TV fixtures for May sometime next month.
  13. Mar 20, 2017

iKnowNothing Full Member

Does someone know how many of our squad players (Rooney, BFS, Blind et al) are currently injured but on course to recover around the next round of fixtures?
    Hopefully our squad players can do the trick against Anderlecht and some of the other teams in the league who you'd expect to be in sort of a holiday mode?

EDIT: Assuming Jose is willing to rotate a little more than normal that is.
  14. Mar 20, 2017

the hea Full Member

At this point in the season I'd much rather face a midtable team with nothing to play for than a relegation candidate fighting for survival.
  15. Mar 20, 2017

cyberman Full Member

Im starting to think this is a myth. They're midtable for a reason.
    Look at Southampton destroying City last year or Gerrards last game v Stoke.
  16. Mar 20, 2017

Grunge Full Member

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
    Yes this is a very defeatist attitude ... grow a pair! ;)

[/QUOTE]I'm looking at it like this. If we can't get past Anderlecht/Celta Vigo/Lyon etc to win the Europa League then we don't deserve Champions League football.[/QUOTE]

You really think this? All the things we've achieved so far and you really don't think we deserve CL based on not beating those teams?
    These sides are no slouches. They've all played less games this season than us and have less demanding upcoming schedules to contend with.
    Furthermore, United are a HUGE scalp for those teams. They would all love to say they took so this knock-out competition so none of the ties will be easy.

I'm with you! Watching Mourinho successfully guiding us through this minefield will indeed be exciting and something to look forward to!
    It will also be gut wrenching, frustrating and may lead to near heart attacks and increasingly high blood pressure but hey, if you can't handle the heat .... :devil:

I think there may come a time when Jose accepts that focusing one one rather than both but we're a long way from that now. He will maintain his "one game at a time" philosophy until one or other option is completely dead in the water, and that time has not yet arrived. No capitulation yet!
  17. Mar 21, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Does anyone know which exact players have been called up to their national teams?

I think international break comes at the perfect time. Pogba should be fit by the end of it (even if I am quite upset with some of his performances), Zlatan can fully recharge, Herrera should be available first game I think.

Pretty much clearing their heads of everything Manchester United will give them a nice mental recharge.
    Fixtures have piled up, but I do believe top 3 or 4 with strong push for the EL title is a very realistic target. With the squad we have, we should be able to. If you think, we beat Boro without fielding Zlatan, Pogba, Mikhi, Herrera and Martial. The formers are our best players. So the squad is deep, therefore complaining on fixtures piling up shouldn't be the case.
    How else do you win a treble? (Not that we are going for one)
  18. Mar 21, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Banned

I've been worried about our remaining fixtures for awhile now. We will draw lots of games between now and the end of May.

That's why The Europa League is so important. If it comes down to it, we should be keeping players fresh for the semi-finals should we beat Anderlecht.
  19. Mar 21, 2017

R'hllor Full Member

City,Spurs away we gonna lose i think,Arsenal away and Chelsea home draw,Everton at home might be tricky,we should improve pts gain vs weaker teams tho.
  20. Mar 21, 2017

Raoul Admin

This doesn't make sense on a number of levels. I doubt they have a large enough sample size to parse the numbers for them to be in any way predictive of what might happen.
  21. Mar 21, 2017

Baxter Full Member

Our next five being WBA, Everton, Sunderland, Chelsea and Burnley. I think we have to get 13 points minimum, to leave ourselves a chance going into the final run in.
  22. Mar 21, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Voice of reason.
  23. Mar 21, 2017

Jonno Full Member

From Preston, UK - Living in Sydney, Australia
    Since November, we're showing title chasing form.

Start the season again with Jose's knowledge and chemistry with this squad and we would be 9-12 points better off.

This is a great time to be a United fan, chasing a cup double, CL qualification, lots of games to watch, and next season, we start the season with no doubt more big signings, a better squad, and we will show the form we've shown since November, from August!

And picking up on comments on here, why will we lose to Tottenham and City? I can picture us going to Spurs and having a good chance of winning, yet people are rulling out 3 points.

Bring the games on I say, we will have a good go at it!
  24. Mar 21, 2017

SATA Full Member

We are going to beat Chelsea at Old Trafford i reckon. Jose looked pissed with Conte and he's not going to let this slip and lose another one to him again
  25. Mar 21, 2017

Jonno Full Member

From Preston, UK - Living in Sydney, Australia
    I'm with you on that, they will probably have their foot off the gas too, the momentum and hunger will hopefully be with us
  26. Mar 21, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

That's because Spurs have dropped only 4 points at home so far and are on a 10-game winning streak in home games. We are more likely to get a result against City and Arsenal. But we never what the situation is like in May. So no point in worrying about it now.
  27. Mar 21, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Looking at our fixture list, 6 of the last 9 are away. Im confident we can do it but damn it looks tough.
  28. Mar 21, 2017

Sereques Full Member

Why haven't they schedule Southampton game for May 17th or 18th? It's not like the have that many choice to pick from.
  29. Mar 21, 2017

ti vu Full Member

We haven't made it to EL semi final yet...
  30. Mar 21, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

It could actually be a good thing because we are a better team away from home.
  31. Mar 21, 2017

Skills Snitch

Think it's doable. Ideally we win the EL and get top 4 to deny some other premier league turd a spot.
  32. Mar 21, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

If we win EL and finish in top 4, does the team in 5th place also qualify for CL?
  33. Mar 21, 2017

Skills Snitch

No.
  34. Mar 21, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

Would have been fun if that was the case though. Just imagine if Liverpool finish fifth behind us. They will have to root for us to win the EL for them to qualify for the CL. RAWK would have a total meltdown!
  35. Mar 21, 2017

MuFc_1992 New Member

It will be even more fun if we win the EL, Leicester win the champions league and Liverpool finish 4th.
  36. Mar 21, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

Yeah Id take it with a pinch of salt too.
  37. Mar 21, 2017

Kag Full Member

I'm not arsed about the fixtures. If we're really as good as many people like to think we are then we should be finishing in the top four with some comfort. We've got 11 games and 33 points to play for. Good teams should be looking to clean up no less than 25 points, irrespective of where we've got to travel.

Our players are good enough, we just need Mourinho to get it right.
  38. Mar 21, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

The mere fact that we play City, Arsenal & Spurs should in many ways been seen a plus, these are real 6 pointers.
  39. Mar 21, 2017

Kag Full Member

The way I see it, if we're not good enough to beat the majority of our direct rivals then we can't really justify a top four finish. Like you say, playing these sides in succession could actually work to our benefit.
  40. Mar 21, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

If we could win 2 of the 3, well that would be pretty much guaranteeing top 4 even if we drop points in some silly games. As you say, if we're good enough for top 4, we'll show it.