Patrice Evra....

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Devil_forever, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Mar 26, 2012

Top for all gif enquiries, contact Olly

Some absolutely brilliant runs with the ball today. A shame his end product was a bit comical.
  2. Mar 26, 2012

Kelvin Banned

any gif of his skill dribbling past 2 fulham players, that was class. :drool:
  3. Mar 26, 2012

bosnian_red Full Member

End product was woeful tonight, but he did extremely well to get into those positions all night long. Shame he can't cross, we would score so many more goals.
  4. Mar 26, 2012

Beachryan Full Member

I'd take a less flashy, more reliable defender at LB. Especially as Evra's great play usually doesn't end up helping us, but his poor play usually hurts us.
  5. Mar 26, 2012

Sojiro Formerly MST3K

"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
    yep thought he was excellent and full of drive. No ones end product was great today tbh, except maybe Valencia. Young started well but looked like a spent force by the end due to his excellent work rate.
  6. Mar 26, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

His end product was never great, except that he wins many corners for us. He was poor in defence, once again.
  7. Mar 26, 2012

gza the genius Full Member

He forgot how to pass today.
  8. Mar 26, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

He was? I can't really remember Fulham getting in down their right all that often (or creating anything at all to be fair)... or him doing too much wrong defensively, especially compared to other games this season.

Anyway, really frustrating that all his excellent build up play was being wasted by his poor passing. He was constantly undoing all his own good work!
  9. Mar 26, 2012

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

he seemed to be playing more winger tonight with Young covering him at left back
  10. Mar 26, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

Would have been great if that overhead kick had squeefed in.

I've made up a word there but it feels right.
  11. Mar 26, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

He had little work to do in defence, but he wasn't great even doing that. They only attacked us two or three times on evra's side, and I think every time they crossed easily. In the end It looked like Young was playing at lb, not evra.
  12. Mar 27, 2012

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

I often wonder how highly Evra would've ranked amongst the very greatest of full backs had he the end product to match his other attributes (during, say, 2009). He's easily one of the best full backs of the last decade, but that would've been some player!

That run where he took out the two defenders with that slalom-like dribble... It was fecked up to see a left back do that, even in this era of football.
  13. Mar 27, 2012

LLMU Full Member

yeah he can't cross but he is at least better than most left sided players in the Premier League. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else for all he has given us in the last 6 years.
  14. Mar 27, 2012

puNANI Full Member

He was very good today. Just missing the final ball. He was good in defense as well. Won the ball back and made a crucial interception off a pass to Duff. Seems he is the new scapegoat.
  15. Mar 27, 2012

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

Was great bring the ball up but was very wasteful with his final ball.
  16. Mar 27, 2012

Denis' cuff Full Member

he has been like this since he arrived :houllier:

puts em on the back foot though
  17. Mar 27, 2012

Neutral BTV

Very good along with Rafael in his primary task - stopping the opposition. Not so good when it came to the final pass, but he wasn't alone...so no real complaint there either. My problem was his 10 minutes - became completely careless in possession, and as captain, should have been more responsible.
  18. Mar 27, 2012

Bear Attack Full Member

Really? I would trade Evra for Cole in a heartbeat.
  19. Mar 27, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

You seen Cole lately?
  20. Mar 27, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Yeah Cole's been a bit shit. Jose Enrique has really impressed me everytime I've seen him play, other than that I don't think there's a standout LB in the league. Baines is overrated.
  21. Mar 27, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Wow. Cole's been awful this season. Simply awful.
  22. Mar 27, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Each time he has a good game offensively people come on here to complain that he's awful defensively. It's almost like it's impossible to grasp the concept that you can be good at both.
  23. Mar 27, 2012

So because a player doesn't block a cross, they're doing poorly defensively?Duff hit about 4 crosses the whole game and was accurate with 1... you'd imagine if he had been able to "cross easily" they would have been a lot more productive from said crosses.

And of course you totally forgot to mention the excellent pass he just about cut out later into the second half when someone (Duff or Ruiz I think) was trying to get in round the back (and nearly succeeded)... That's literally the only thing of note I can remember him having to do and he did it well.

Cole has been terrible this season... which was capped of nicely by a totally laughable display against City at the Etihad.

Plus, he's also a massive cnut.
  24. Mar 27, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Cole and Evra have both been below par this season. But I don’t think Cole has been as bad as some of you think. I still wouldnt trade him for Evra though. Even at his best. Simply down to the fact I cant stand the little shite
  25. Mar 27, 2012

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I thought Evra did fine yesterday. One of the games this season where he didn't really struggle one-on-one with his opponent, and he looked up for it.
  26. Mar 27, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I thought he was good yesterday too. Just some of his pass selection in the final 3rd was a bit crap
  27. Mar 27, 2012

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

Am I the only one who remembers the simply amazing last ditch tackle he did last night? The Fulham-player was more or less 1v1 with De Gea on the right side of the box when Evra pulls off that amazing tackle.
  28. Mar 27, 2012

That how I summarised him as well... though I couldn't even complain too much about that, as he had generally got himself into that attacking situation through some excellent individual play... plus, in terms of final ball, seemingly everyone was at it last night.
  29. Mar 27, 2012

The Black Pearl ooh aah Roddy Collins

He put in a decent shift last night, defended well & made plenty of driving runs at the opposition. He's final ball could have been better alright but it was still good seeing him up there & getting involved in the action, on another night one of them passes or crosses in the final third could have paid dividends.
  30. Mar 27, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

Valencia had at least 10 crosses and I don't remember any of them being accurate, but that doesn't mean Riise did well.

I remember that, but I believe that's not something to praise, since he should never let duff run behind him. It's not that he is having some pacey winger as Walcott to keep. It was great intervention in the end, but as I said, I believe that shouldn't happen in first place.
  31. Mar 27, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

To be completely fair most of Valencia's crosses were accurate enough, it's forwards fault they couldn't get at the end of them because they were sent into correct spaces where a forward should have been at least once in a while.
  32. Mar 27, 2012

Riise wasn't too bad up against Tony all things considered (and by that I mean the sheer disparity in pace between the two... and the fact that pretty much everone thought Valencia would have him all ends up). It was probably one of Valencia's quieter games for a while and he didn't have as big an effect on the game as he has had in recent weeks. The fact that Valencia's crossing wasn't accurate could be testament to the fact that Riise wasn't affording him the space to cross cleanly. Obviously, as Valencia is a quality player he still managed to put get a few balls into dangerous areas, but unfortunately it wasn't anywhere near his recent high standards.

Likewise, Evra was making it difficult for Duff to cross freely, which is why he he wasn't threatening in any way shape or form from that wide position. As I said, you can't stop every cross from coming in as a defender, but you can make it difficult for the winger to put in a good one.

Totally disagree. Evra wasn't out of position, and Duff isn't exactly as slow as you're making out. I'm not sure how Evra would stop someone from making a run in behind him without taking him out. If Duff makes the run and the ball is good, the only thing Evra can attempt to do is cut it out, and as it was a very very good pass and Evra did well to cut it out.
  33. Mar 27, 2012

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

How exactly do you propose Evra stops duff making the run :lol: :confused:

All he can do is check his run if duff makes it, and that he did, with a perfect tackle.

Im usually one of evras biggest critics but he defended well yesterday.
  34. Mar 28, 2012

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

I will always love Evra but I wanna see more Fabio.
  35. Mar 28, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Cole is a turd, I don't know if I could bring myself to support him.I despise him so much
  36. Mar 28, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Can only assume you've not seen Cole play for a few years.
  37. Mar 28, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Wow.... when did you last watch Cole? The guy is a liability.
  38. Apr 8, 2012

gbgary Full Member

i may have missed something when my head was down texting but i think evra had a decent day defending today. was a bit more discrete with his attacks, saw him pressure the ball some and get a couple of steals. granted he wasn't under a bunch of pressure but thought he did well.
  39. Apr 8, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

He barely had to defend. Patrice Evra's heat map show further back than our box on three occasions and that was because of QPR's corners. He pressed good high up but this was a game we were never going to concede from open play one man up. Just wasn't ever going to happen.
  40. Apr 11, 2012

Leg-End Full Member

I, For One, Welcome our Woodward overlord.
    He was out of position tonight far too often.

Evra is still fantastic, plenty of years left at the top and all that before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I think Evra isn't good enough but I absolutely do think he needs some competition at left back.

Fabio long term looks like he might step up if he can finally get away from getting injured seemingly everytime he plays for the first team but if he's two or three seasons away then we should bolster this area. When Evra plays badly half the time it looks like its simply because hes knackered, hes practically ever present and never rested.