Paul Pogba (game analysis, no transfer speculation)

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by ciderman9000000, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 16, 2012

ciderman9000000 Banned

I thought it'd be useful to separate the analysis of Pogba as a player from the transfer speculation.

Anyway, I thought he was excellent last night. I can honestly say that that performance from Athletic against us was the best I've seen anyone play against United (or at least, the best I can remember), yet when Pogba came on he seemed to give us some degree of control over a game, and an opposing team, that seemed uncontrollable. He managed a fair few times in 25 minutes to do what the rest of the team couldn't do once in 90; he kept the ball away from the majestic swarm of the Bilbao side. He looked confident, strong and assured; definitely ready for a starting place imo.
  2. Mar 16, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Next seasons Cleverley.

He did bring an element of composure to the team. On a night like last night it would be pretty much impossible for any of our midfielders to look like they were playing well, so baring that in mind he did OK.
  3. Mar 16, 2012

Adam-Utd Full Member

Welcome to the big leagues paul.

Last night proved he is not just a reserver anymore, he is as good as any of the first team midfield we have.

His passing and control of the ball was very good, hardly ever lost it.

And when he did he battled as hard as he could to get it back.

Was very unlucky with his challenge for the yellow card, in the reserves that would probably be no problem, but in europe infront of a hostile crowd you cant really get away with that sort of challenge anymore, but its something he will learn with experience.

If you were not a man utd fan and just switched that game on when he came on, you would never say he was 19 and has never started a first team game in the league / europe for us, he looked that composed.

I was a little worried that fergie was throwing him into the lions den, it could of gone so badly wrong and ruined his confidence, but the first thing he did was control the ball, protect it and then throw a dummy step over to gain some space :lol: brilliant.
  4. Mar 16, 2012

Anderson8 Full Member

He's fantastic. His ability coupled with is physique means he could be unstoppable.
  5. Mar 16, 2012

NJ1979 Full Member

Obviously can't judge properly on the basis of a half hour cameo, but the signs last night were very encouraging. Looked comfortable on the ball and didn't fold when he was harried in possession.
  6. Mar 16, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    He was bloody lucky not to get sent off.

Another decent cameo though. Let's hope the first of many. Be nice to see him rack up enough appearances for a PL medal (if he's staying that is, if not, feck him!)

Far too early to say he should be starting any of our remaining league games, though. Not so long as all our more established CMs are available. I'd play him ahead of Phil Jones in midfield, mind you.
  7. Mar 16, 2012

ciderman9000000 Banned

What? Cameos?
  8. Mar 16, 2012

kiristao Full Member

He did do quite well to get out with the ball from some very tight situations and worked hard to win the ball back. Tackling was a bit reckless but he can work on that. Over all a decent cameo..
  9. Mar 16, 2012

ciderman9000000 Banned

Can we stop calling sub appearances 'cameos', please, it sounds ridiculous :(
  10. Mar 16, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I still maintain despite his inexperience he is better than Park, Jones, Rafael, or Fabio in midfield.
  11. Mar 16, 2012

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

You can see that he has the technical ability and the passing range. With him, the skills on the ball are not the problem, the area he needs to work on is his off the ball play
  12. Mar 16, 2012

Yes. Cameos. I'm talking about this season.

I don't think he's ready to start any of our remaining league games, barring injury to other players. As I said in the rest of my post.
  13. Mar 16, 2012

Agreed.

Not yet as good as Carrick, Giggs, Scholes or Cleverley though. Despite Cleverley's extremely rusty display last night.
  14. Mar 16, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

His ability should never have been in question nor his temperament. We know about his passing but he can make an extra yard without much fuss and that's what you need when players swarm you. Some players took the easy way out and passed backwards thinking 'yeah that's good enough' but it's not. He was assured in spite of how we played and he got booked but really in a game like that, others didn't because they never got close all evening.

He gave us legs and him and welbeck, for me made a difference but it was too late by then.
  15. Mar 16, 2012

SirAF Full Member

Of course! Those players should never start ahead of him in the middle of the park, Pogba's a natural midfielder and those are not.
  16. Mar 16, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

The problem is they have started, and the results have not been very good. It's confusing.
  17. Mar 16, 2012

Solius Having a party in his car

I was delighted when he was surrounded by a shitload of them and managed to keep hold of the ball. Finally we could have another CM who can keep it under pressure.
  18. Mar 16, 2012

Pogba's improved as the season's gone on. He's only really got to grips with reserves football since the turn of the year, which wasn't helped by the amount of games snowed/frozen off during the winter.

At the time those players were picked, I'm sure Fergie thought they would do a better job than Pogba. As it happens, I still think it's a close call. Let's not forget it's easy to look good coming off the bench in the closing minutes of the game against a team that had run themselves into the ground.

He started against a very poor Blackburn reserves side last week and didn't look anything like as impressive. In fact, he was fairly anonymous for most of the game. I'd fancy all the above players (apart from, maybe, the twins) to have put in just as good a shift (if not better) in that particular fixture.
  19. Mar 16, 2012

Mannheim Red Full Member

Word Up
  20. Mar 16, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

His tackle was nothing worse than Scholes has done over the years. He looked really good when he came on last night. Hope he features some more this season.
  21. Mar 16, 2012

Hmmm... That's probably not the most convincing defence!
  22. Mar 16, 2012

Raoul Administrator

Raw but impressive. He will be another Fergie gem in very short time.
  23. Mar 16, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

:lol: probably not, but it was good to see him showing some urgency to win the ball back.
  24. Mar 16, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Of course he's not better than the likes of Carrick, Cleverley (based on what we've seen of him so far), Scholes, Giggs etc because he's too inexperienced for that.

But he is a talented young central midfielder, and I'd pick him on the basis of that ahead of Park, Fabio, Jones, Rafael etc everytime. If anything, the guy at least knows his way around the middle of the pitch given he's grown up in that area of the pitch. Park pretty much does in central midfield the exact same things he does out wide, which doesn't really do much good.
  25. Mar 16, 2012

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    What a surprise. I'm sure the OP was slating himmin the other thread as just a kid who hasn't proven anything and didn't deserve what he was asking for. I know this isn't the thread, but it has to be said.

Anyway, I think he did decent last night. There's still a lot more in his locker that he hasn't shown yet. If he's changed peoples minds already, they're going to have a real shock when they see what he's really capable of. Let's just hope he stays.

I've said it before, but I think this lad is the best candidate that I've seen to be Paul Scholes' replacement in the long term.
  26. Mar 16, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

This thread is going to be at least 7 pages long!
  27. Mar 16, 2012

Hectic Full Member

Same here.
  28. Mar 16, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

I third that.

Better immediately and clearly worth investing the time in and allowing for the odd mistake as it'll pay off big time in the future. (If he signs the bloody contract, but thats another thread.)
  29. Mar 16, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Rafael and Fabio didn't do too badly against Arsenal for 45 minutes, Jones has played well there (and also badly).
  30. Mar 16, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

He needs a run of games in the first team
  31. Mar 16, 2012

He'll be doing bloody well to get them this season. In fact, I sincerely hope he doesn't. As this will mean more fecking injuries.
  32. Mar 16, 2012

ben_foster On Loan to Watford

what may hinder him getting games now is that we are down to one competition and pretty much one game per week.

given a first choice 11 of

ddg
    rafa
    rio
    evens
    evra
    carrick
    scholes / scholes
    valencia
    young
    rooney
    welbeck

pogba will be competeing for game time with giggs/scholes, cleverley, anderson (if fit). As we are now only looking at a game per week I would be amazed if the spine of ddg, rio, evens, carrick, scholes/giggs and rooney is changed which may make it difficult to get pogba on.

Admittedley there is ways round it by giving cleverley and giggs game time in wide positions and pogba replacing hernandez/wellbeck when we are leading to play with carrick and scholes/giggs.

I just cant help but think that if he had adopted this approach of getting him on the field at the earliest conveniance at the start of the season then by now he would be "ready". That would have enabled us to field stronger sides in the europa.

Anyway, I agree with all the statements above, very calm and composed, very good feet for a big lad and I personally hope that he doesn’t loose the cynical side of taking somebody out when its required. Clattering somebody when its required is still very much part of the game and its something we don’t have and badly miss. That Munian kid took the piss and was begging to be browned but I don’t recall one tackle being put on him in 180 minutes. So im hoping poba becomes the animal / bullying, box to box, all round midfielder we are desperate for.
  33. Mar 16, 2012

golden_blunder Admin

"excellent" is going a bit overboard

Showed some nice touches on the ball, passing was off and tackling was off. Didn't get back on a couple of their counter-attacks (to be fair, that may have been a coaching instruction)

I thought he was ok, nothing more or less than that
  34. Mar 16, 2012

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Decent when he came on.

Not alot more. Looks assured on the ball.
  35. Mar 16, 2012

ciderman9000000 Banned

Excellent in comparison to our other players without doubt.
  36. Mar 16, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

I thoght he was one of our better players on the pitch in last 20 minutes. It was a though game, and he did well, so It's fair to expect even better in some easier games.
    If he can continue like this, than I definitely rate him higher than Park or Jones in midfield.
  37. Mar 16, 2012

davisjw Full Member

:eek:

He's now better than Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Young, Cleverly, and Anderson?

Let's not minimize his contributions to the season so far.
  38. Mar 16, 2012

SecondFig Full Member

Agreed - I really rate the lad, but some of the praise on here for last night's cameo is just ridiculous.
  39. Mar 16, 2012

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

His ability to keep the ball under pressure was what stood out last night. That's basically the gist of it.
  40. Mar 16, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

a quality that more experienced players should take note of
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.